Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW  (Read 14403 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2005, 12:59:49 PM »

We now have seven turkey’s residing on our property. :-\

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2005, 01:02:41 PM »

I hope they get their mail forwarded.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2005, 01:04:42 PM »

All sorts of health vibes for Dear Readers Elmore and Tom!!! We're thinking of you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Turns out that the DVD we looked for for four and a half hours yesterday for my brother's boss's daughter has to go back because she already has it. We're going to go on another field trip to Toys R Us to find something else. With me and my brother set loose in a giant toy store, anything could happen.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2005, 01:06:37 PM »

I liked LAW & ORDER: TRIAL BY JURY very much. I will miss it.

People makes jokes about the L&O franchise, but the fact is that all of the shows are radically different from each other. The original is the only one that plays detective in the first half and is a courtroom drama in the second half. All of the others are either all detection (CRMINAL INTENT), about 80% detection and 20% courtroom (SVU) or mostly courtroom/lawyer oriented (TBJ).

It's the CSIs that are virtual clones of each other in terms of show procedure. The only things that make those shows different are locales and actors, but the case investigations and motifs used to display the crime, etc. are identical.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2005, 01:08:20 PM »

Boy, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES is certainly aptly named. Such desperate people, ad it looks like several of the "bad guys" are going to get away with their schemes, at least until next season.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2005, 01:08:51 PM »

I like N C I S.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2005, 01:20:22 PM »

Because I was pretty much in a coma at the end of last semester, this semester's end-of-the-semester poem will be for the whole year. So here it is, now that I've finally gotten around to finishing it:

My head aches and a drowsy numbness pains
my sense as though of Cherry Coke I had run out,
for all semester long, they’ve cluttered up my brains
with stuff I do not give a flying fig about.
My Hamlet midterm paper got full credit-
the fourth time that on Hamlet I have had to write,
and got four As, although I’ve never read it-
an A for seven pages scribbled overnight.
I’d several profs who filled me up with dread,
like boring Dr. C. who talks and talks and talks,
but never has a single thing he said,
or Dr. H., who always wore surrealist socks.
Another prof was flaunting smut as true art,
another had me climbing countless steps, enough
to get to the Fifth Floor to see Ms. Laws,
where reason plays no part and rhyme does not come through.
Some things to me will still remain a mystery,
like what the heck is rhetoric, and what’s it for?
And why those groupies so obsessed with history
take every class that’s offered by Ms. R., that bore.
F. Scott Fitzgerald somehow has to do
with old dead English monarchs of the Stuart line,
with feminists from African lands too,
and any other topic that they could assign.
To all my teachers who looked at my fun askance,
I have one final parting thought: Underpants!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 01:56:09 PM by Sandra »
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2005, 01:28:14 PM »

There once was a person who sent ten different puns to his friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh.

No pun in ten did!

GR--

GRO--

GROA--

*!

Whew!  I was able to just barely stop myself.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2005, 01:30:13 PM »

Haven't read that Dahlia book, Pogue.  Perhaps I'll go find a copy on amazon.

vixmom: The partay took place at the mom-to-be's house, so no shirt transport was needed.  There were stencils of things for those who wanted to use them, but mine were both sans stencil.  

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2005, 01:34:08 PM »

I like N C I S.

I think it got an early renewal several months ago. But, it's in no danger of cancellation regardless.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2005, 01:35:41 PM »

I jsut looked at NBC's new announced schedule for next year.

Those who like THE WEST WING will be watching it (or recording it) on Sundays at 8 starting this fall.

Most of the other NBC shows which were renewed are returning to their original time slots. Oh, that abominable FEAR FACTOR has been moved to another night.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2005, 01:38:32 PM »

Gut, gibt es Ei und Speck, Eiwurst und -speck, Ei und Spam, Eispeck
und Spam, Eispeckwurst und Spam, Spam Speckwurst und Spam, Spam Eispam
Spam Speck und Spam, Spam Wurstspam Spam Speck-Spam Tomate und Spam.

ROTFLMAO

I haven't been invaded by the German spam yet, but for years my e-mailbox at work has been stiffed with Korean spam, just from one visit to a Korean website.  And of course, if you open it, it always wants you to download Korean character sets.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2005, 02:08:54 PM »

Our word check failed me and didn’t notice I typed turkey’s instead of turkeys (LOL-now it tells me).  The turkeys do seem to becoming a bit possessive of our yard. ;D

Ginny

« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2005, 02:12:11 PM »

DR's Jane & Jose - funny you both should mention Electrolux.  One of my errands today was to go to the local (Dayton) vacuum cleaner store to get bags for the one we bought there a couple of years ago.  I was a little unsure, standing in front of a machine that looked like ours, but had a different name.  The guy who helped me said it was called "Oxygen" when we bought it, now it's "Oxygen by Eureka," and the new models will just say "Electrolux."  I said, "That's what my mom's sweeper said when I was a little girl!"  Guess if you wait long enough, everything comes back in style.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2005, 02:13:10 PM »

Jane, the scenery beyond your backyard is spectacular!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2005, 02:14:15 PM »

Hi, DR George - I enjoyed your pictures yesterday, too.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2005, 02:15:16 PM »

Non-fiction titles that I've read (and remember reading ;)):

"Beverly:  An Autobiography" by Beverly Sills and Lawrence Linderman
"Footnotes" by Tommy Tune
"Not Since Carrie" by Ken Mendelbaum

All (I feel) are wonderfully written.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2005, 02:17:21 PM »

Hi, DR George - I enjoyed your pictures yesterday, too.

Thanks!  I brought them to work but haven't shown them, yet.  I will, though...soon, I promise, soon (a Little Night Music reference!) ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »

DR Jane, I love the turkeys!! Are they friendly. Will they let you get very close to them.

Yes, southern Oregon is a beautiful place, as you can see from DR Jane's photo!

George

« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2005, 03:09:49 PM »

Danise, I don't know if you've seen this yet, but:

According to the Playbill article, Michael "will star as Reginald Bunthorne in Gilbert and Sullivan's Patience."

It goes on to say, "Patience will be performed at the New York State Theater Sept. 10 at 8 PM, Sept. 12 at 7:30 PM, Sept. 17 at 1:30 PM, Sept. 23 at 8 PM, Sept. 27 at 7:30 PM, Sept. 30 at 8 PM, Oct. 2 at 1:30 PM and Oct. 5 at 7:30 PM. Single tickets will go on sale Aug. 1, although tickets are currently available through subscriptions and group sales. Visit www.nycopera.com for more information..  

So, are ya gonna go?? ;D

Danise

« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2005, 03:35:38 PM »

Aggghhhhh!   That settles when I’m coming to NY.  Well, Agggghhh,  IF I can’t make it (cause I STILL want to be there when DR Jane is there) will someone please rope him and hide him in the basement till I can get there???????

Hi folks!

Elmore and Tom, you know my thoughts are with you both.  I want the best possible outcome for both of you.

DR Charles Pogue, do you ever get pre-movie-you-wrote jitters?

DR Jane, if you want to get rid of the turkeys, I know how.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Go to the back door and yell……………

Happy Thanksgiving!   :D ;D :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2005, 03:46:12 PM »

I took the laptop to work but I couldn't get on the net.  I don't know where that free wifi hotspot is in downtown Tampa.  I picked up a LOT of signals but most were locked.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2005, 03:49:40 PM »

Hummm, I went to the site and they list the cast as:

PRODUCTION:  
Conductor: Gary Thor Wedow
Director: Tazewell Thompson
Set Designer: Donald Eastman
Costume Designer: Merrily Murray-Walsh
Lighting Designer: Robert Wierzel
Supertitles: Kelley Rourke

CAST:  
Patience: Tonna Miller
Lady Angela: Jennifer Roderer
Lady Ella: Kathleen Magee
Lady Jane: Myrna Paris
Duke of Dunstable: Christopher Jackson
Colonel Calverley: Timothy Nolen
Archibald Grosvenor: Kevin Burdette
Major Murgatroyd: Matthew Burns

No Michael Ball there.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2005, 03:51:35 PM »

DR Vixmom thanks for the links. Reading the list of games you and BK gave, it seems like everyone is going online and reading the same list of baby shower games. :)

As for the baby shirts, I've seen that one listed a few times.  You supply the baby tshirts and the special paint and then people do what they want.  Then you let them dry.

One thing I'm curious about is how to know who did which shirt?

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2005, 03:57:33 PM »

DR RonP, we will have to agree to disagree.  Yes I watched the show.  But I don't find the article that you quoted to be completely accurate.  For example Ian did not admit to tom that he was planning to vote him off.  He said that it would have been a tough call (that comment was what made tom originally mad).

The article said:
The comment caused Tom to approach Jennifer, who confirmed Tom's fears -- that had Tom failed to win the day's Immunity Challenge, Ian had agreed to join with Katie and Jennifer in voting Tom off at the upcoming Tribal Council. Tom confronted Ian about his comment, after which Ian confirmed Jennifer's claims that he'd planned to vote Tom out, but prefaced it with a note that "I'm playing the game just like everyone else."

I totally disagree that Ian admitted he planned to vote tom out (or that he said anything like that). Because if that were true then why was tom begging ian to come clean right up until the end.

All Ian said was that he had had that discussion with jen and katie.  But he claimed to tom that he never would have done it.

You can think Tom is the hero.  But don't dismiss my opinion.  I think Tom should have honored his word regardless of whether he believed ian might have betrayed him.  If he knew for sure, that would be one thing. But ian said he wouldn't have done it.  

I still maintain ian should never have let tom win the final immunity. Tom would never have done that for him.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »

Danise, no...pre-movie jitters.  By the time something has come out I have at least seen it and sometimes I've seen it many times.  I pretty much know by then what kind of film has been made out of the script and whether it is good or not and whether it will do well or not.  

You sometimes just want to go hide, because you just can't go around flinging the script at people, saying:  "It's not my fault!  Read the script! You'll see!"

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 04:15:29 PM by Charles Pogue »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2005, 04:17:02 PM »

DR Jennifer.  I wholeheartedly agree to disagree with all your views on the subject of honor in regards to "Survivor: Palau."  What I get from your argument is that you think Tom should have acted "stupidly" so the backstabbing Ian could advance and win.

Tom wasn't begging Ian for anything.  He was demanding that Ian be a man and admit what everyone else knew to be true.  When Ian made his deal with Tom in the final challenge, it was an act of atonement for dishonoring the agreement.

The "clue" to his guilt was that Ian would not DENY having an agreement with Jenn and Katie.  He would not answer Tom directly whether or not he would have voted Tom out.  If he had said yes, the truth would have been out, and if he had said no, Jen and Katie would have turned on him for being a liar.

Tom's logic was perfectly understandable.  If Ian intended to be honorable, he'd have had no trouble making a decision about how.  When Tom heard him say that, he realized that Ian was not totally committed to his word.  According to Tom, up to that moment, none of his actions had been difficult.  But Ian said it would have been difficult for him.

All Ian did was "tap dance" around the truth, hoping it would go away.  Tom demanded he come clean and Ian just stammered.  He never denied anything, and that's as good an admission as anyone should need.

;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 04:55:26 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2005, 04:28:24 PM »

The interesting thing about cutting a four hour time slot to three is that the movie itself ends up being less than two hours because there are twenty-four minutes of commecials (sometimes more) per hour.  That is the most shocking thing about television today.  Pretty soon a half-hour show will run eighteen minutes.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2005, 04:32:32 PM »

DR Jose, there's a hurricane with your name on it coming this summer.  (hopefully, it will be a non-destructive one that stays at sea.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2005, 04:38:08 PM »

Danise, no...pre-movie jitters.  By the time something has come out I have at least seen it and sometimes I've seen it many times.  I pretty much know by then what kind of film has been made out of the script and whether it is good or not and whether it will do well or not.  

You sometimes just want to go hide, because you just can't go around flinging the script at people, saying:  "It's not my fault!  Read the script! You'll see!"

It must be hard to see something you worked so hard on torn apart.   But that won't be the case here, I'm sure.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up