Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW  (Read 14405 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2005, 10:58:13 AM »

Re:  Sickert & Cornwall.  Yes, that's who I am thinking of.  I seem to remember her being interviewed on 20/20 or something like that and she had gotten DNA evidence from the back of a stamp or maybe the envellope that one of the Ripper letters came in.  I may be completely misremembering that, though--it was some time ago, and I can barely remember what happened a moment ago.

Re:  Sickert & Cornwall.
 Yes, that's who....ooops, never mind.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2005, 11:07:55 AM »

Wow!  What did you think Ian was "intending" when he spoke to Katie and Jenn about voting Tom out?  Does that sound like someone who was going to "honor" an agreement?.

I think Ian was considering voting out Tom.  But I don't think he was necessarily going to do it.  But IMO that doesn't matter.  It doesn't matter whether Ian honored his end of the agreement.  Tom should have honored his end (since he had no proof that Ian was definitely going to vote him out).  

Tom used Ian's "betrayal" as an excuse.  He should have kept his word and kept Ian.  It doesn't matter what someone else does. Tom was responsible for himself and should have kept his word.  To me that is what would have made him stand apart from the rest.  IT shouldn't matter if others around you are honorable, YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR WORD.

Ian made his own bed....he outsmarted himself.  Tom reacted the right way.  Katie should have voted for Ian as well.

I totally disagree.  If Katie had betrayed her friend after he bawled on the beach for her (and gave up the million) i would have been even more disgusted with her than i was.  At least she kept to her word.

Tom confronted Ian who confessed.   Did that mean nothing to you?.

I did not hear ian confess.

Tom played the game the best...and he played it with honor.  Even Greg, Katie and Jenn were planning to vote out Tom when they were on the yacht..

It cracks me up that tom apologized to gregg for being mislead by ian (that gregg was gonna vote tom out). Unless the editing was misrepresenting the situation i agree, gregg was planning to vote tom out. Although by gregg's questioning he acted like tom betrayed him.

In fact why is everyone mad that ian was perhaps gonna flip, since katie was flipping back and forth.

I know I should probably like tom, but i just don't.  And I was not at all impressed with ian trying to get tom's respect back by giving up the million.  I would have been more impressed if ian had won the challenge and given his immunity to tom.

Greg and Ian, both, were plotting to dishonor their agreement with Tom before Tom found them out.

I definitely think Gregg was planning to vote out tom (although he acted like he wasn't in final questioning).  And I am 50-50 on whether ian would have done it.  

It made me slightly sick to hear katie say in the finals that she had stuck to her alliance (um, she was wanting the all-girl alliance to vote out BOTH TOM AND IAN).

Also i didn't like tom saying how he had stuck to his original alliance (um no, he tried to vote out ian). Very hypocritical on both their parts.

Btw, did you guys hear tom and katie's answers to coby's final question. I heard the question. But here they just jumped right to gregg's question. :(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 11:10:58 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2005, 11:12:05 AM »

BK, i'm in the process of planning a baby shower.  Were there any games at the party that were really good?

(anyone else can answer too).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »

Re:  Jack the Ripper.  What do you who are in the know think about that mystery writer (sorry, can't remember her name right now) who says she's definitively proven the Ripper was some English artist (can't remember his name, either--my I'm getting forgetful in my old age).

DRJMK, the author is Patricia Cornwell, and her book is a ripoff of Stephen Knight's JACK THE RIPPER: THE FINAL SOLUTION, which I read around 1980, claiming the artist Walter Sickert was part of a royalist plot to silence a group of women involved in a marriage and child between Prince Eddy and Annie Cook.  The theory was disproven until Ms Cornwell dug him up.  Interestingly, her bibiolgraphy makes no mention of the Stephen Knight book.  Hmmm . . . I guess if she never knew of Stephen Knight's book, she couldn't be accused of plagiarism, could she?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2005, 11:18:13 AM »

Re:  Sickert & Cornwall.  Yes, that's who I am thinking of.  I seem to remember her being interviewed on 20/20 or something like that and she had gotten DNA evidence from the back of a stamp or maybe the envellope that one of the Ripper letters came in.  I may be completely misremembering that, though--it was some time ago, and I can barely remember what happened a moment ago.

Re:  Sickert & Cornwall.
 Yes, that's who....ooops, never mind.  ;)

;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2005, 11:19:43 AM »

There once was a person who sent ten different puns to his friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh.

No pun in ten did!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2005, 11:29:32 AM »

BK, i'm in the process of planning a baby shower.  Were there any games at the party that were really good?

(anyone else can answer too).

I went to one recently where we played 'Baby Bingo"  Everyone was given a bingo card but instead of numbers it had  items that might be expected as gifts ie.: bibs, stroller, highchair, rattle, gift certificate, etc etc etc ( a  King & I reference!)  This kept everyone in the room during the present opening  and spurred lots of shouts of  "Open mine next!!"

As the presents were opened everyone marked their cards and whoever got bingo won a prize.

There was also another game but you have to get all the guests to participate ahead of time so its more difficult to arrange.  You get everyone who is coming to the shower to give you a picture of themselves as a baby  (under 2) and then you display them all with numbers under the pictures and everyone must guess who became who.  We did this one right at the beginning and it was a great icebreaker for all the people who didn't know each other.  Everyone was introducing themselves so they could peer at each other's eyes to try and get a clue!!  

vixmom

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2005, 11:30:31 AM »

There once was a person who sent ten different puns to his friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh.

No pun in ten did!

AAUUUGH! (that was not a groan, an "augh" is entirely different!)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2005, 11:35:24 AM »

I think Ian was considering voting out Tom.  But I don't think he was necessarily going to do it.  But IMO that doesn't matter.  It doesn't matter whether Ian honored his end of the agreement.  Tom should have honored his end (since he had no proof that Ian was definitely going to vote him out).  

You apparently missed this pre-immunity challenge of the "final four" statement from Ian (verbatim):

"This is the moment that I've been waiting for the entire game, [if] I win the challenge, Tom goes home, [if] I don't win the challenge [then] Tom's all of the sudden my best friend again," Ian explained in confessional."

As for not having "proof" that Ian was going to flip, what on earth do you call Ian's admission to Tom of what he and Katie and Jenn were planning?

Ian was "playing" Tom and got caught.  To have blithely ignored that and continued carrying Ian would have made Tom seem very foolish.  The honor of the agreement was violated -- and nullified -- by Ian.  That's what he attempted to reclaimin the final challenge.  

Check out this URL for what happened last night:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3498

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 12:06:27 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2005, 11:40:12 AM »

We had to guess how many jelly beans were in a baby bottle.  And they had ribbon and we all had to cut a size of ribbon which we thought would fit around mummy's tummy.

As Pogue is a fan of English crime history, I'm a fan of LA crime history and have many tomes on the subject.  I really like James Ellroy's My Dark Places, about the killing of his mother.  And, of course, I have several books on the Black Dahlia killing.  I also have a book that goes into several of the most notorious LA killings.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2005, 11:43:05 AM »

Just read some tidbits about canceled and returning TV shows.

Surprise cancellations: LAW & ORDER: TRIAL BY JURY,

Last night we watched the first episode and set TiVo for a season pass.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2005, 11:50:55 AM »

BK, have you read BLACK DAHLIA AVENGER, by the ex-LA cop who claims his dad was the the Black Dahlia murderer.

Been doing a little research on the Cornwell book.  It, her theories, and her methodology all seem to receive ample doses of contempt.  Seems like a lot of supposition and circumstantial stuff without much credibility or backing up of her facts.

As elmore says, the theory is ancient, largely discredited, and no where in her bibliography does she mention the Stephen Knight book or Fuller book.  Just one of many problems is that Sickert seems to have been in France when some of the murders took place.

vixmom

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2005, 11:51:56 AM »

We had to guess how many jelly beans were in a baby bottle.  And they had ribbon and we all had to cut a size of ribbon which we thought would fit around mummy's tummy.

Bruce, how did the shirt painting thing work? Did they give you patterns or did you just paint freehand... and how did the mom-to-be transport all those wet shirts home?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2005, 11:53:37 AM »

I thought Lucie Arnaz was the Black Dahlia.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2005, 11:55:30 AM »

I also have another book that connects Sickert to the killings that was written in 1991, called The Ripper & The Royals with a preface by Joseph Sickert, Walter Sickert's son...whose varying and changing accounts of his father's connections to the murders have long been discredited by Begg, Fido, et al.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2005, 11:59:27 AM »

My I just noticed the number of posts I have made since joining these here envirions

as Ralph Kramdem would say

"I'm a blabbermouth!"

But such a funny & delightful one. :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2005, 12:04:30 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Had my lunch.  Washed the dishes.  Vacuumed the rugs - which I may have to do again with the other vacuum cleaner since it appears our wonderful Oreck is now formerly wonderful.  Ah, well...  -And I still miss our Electrolux which my parents brought from a door-to-door salesman when we lived in Seattle - it "lived" for at least 15 years!

In other news...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2005, 12:10:16 PM »

German Spam Update....

First you take some sauerkraut, then some mustard...

UGH!  That's not even groan-worthy.

Seriously...

For those on AOL - and maybe even Yahoo - after comparing some notes with some other friends, it appears all the German spam may have confused the spam filters so much that they started filtering out non-spam e-mails - even stuff from people in your address book.

I got some e-mails this morning from people asking if I had gotten their e-mails this past weekend.  I hadn't, so I checked my Spam Folder (Keyword: Spam Folder) on AOL, and, lo and behold, there were about five legitimate e-mails, all from people on my "approved" list.  So...  Then I went ahead and followed up with some people I had sent e-mails to over the past few days who I had not received responses from...  Their spam filters were also working a little too efficiently this past weekend due to the deluge of German spam.  So...

Check you spam folders!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2005, 12:17:51 PM »

My mother only purchased Electrolux and so did I.  The earlier models lasted much longer than the newer ones.  Now we have a system where we carry the hose around and connect it to various locations in the house.  It is much easier than dragging around a large tank.

Bryan purchased a little robot vacuum for his loft.  He loves it.  It works well with his open cork floor plan.

Jed

« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2005, 12:34:08 PM »

Ahh, I see an elmore...  Loads of vibage to you, good sir!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2005, 12:40:27 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Had my lunch.  Washed the dishes.  Vacuumed the rugs -
In other news...

He cooks, he cleans, he sings and plays the pianny... I know I can't marry you, Jose, do you want to be adopted?   ;D

vixmom

« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2005, 12:43:07 PM »

We have a Sears Kenmore cannister vaccuum which we have had since 1986.  We did have to replace the hose because it cracked, but other than that I'm told it works quite well   ;)

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2005, 12:44:46 PM »

But such a funny & delightful one. :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Vixmom, have mouth, will blabber. :D

vixmom

« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2005, 12:46:01 PM »

Gotta run, have to go pay an exorbinant fee to retrieve my auto from the repair shoppe

JMK

« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2005, 12:49:26 PM »

Humor as Dry as the Sahara Department:  For those of you who are Christopher Guest fans, I highly recommend a film in the same vein as his, Incident at Loch Ness, starring the extremely unlikely to be funny (yet amazingly hilarious) Werner Herzog.  We're about halfway through the film and a quarter way through the commentary (which is hysterical if you're in the right mood).  A very, very funny film for those who don't need to be hit over the head with humor.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2005, 12:50:52 PM »

I grew up in a Sears family (my Dad managed the downtown SLC and Seattle stores at various points of his career).  Famous family anecdote:  when my sister was 2 or 3, someone walked up to her and said "Where did you get those big blue eyes?"  And she responded, "At Sears Roebuck and Company."   ;D

Jane

« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2005, 12:53:12 PM »

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MALCOLM X-Alex Haley & Malcolm X
THIS HOUSE OF SKY & HEART EARTH-Ivan Doig
Ginny thank you for reminding me of THE ROAD TO CORAIN.
ANGELA’S ASHES- Frank McCourt
HAMLET’S DRESSER, a memoir by Bob Smith
IN COLD BLOOD-Truman Capote
THE DIARY OF A YOUNG GIRL-Ann Frank (the original)
TUESDAY’S WITH MORRIE-Mitch Album
MAMA’S BANK ACCOUNT-Kathryn Forbes
FAREWELL TO MANZANAR-Houston

Last night I began an interesting book, ELECTRIC UNIVERSE, by David Bodanis about the “shocking true story of electricity”.  I just learned Samuel Morse, of the Morse code, was a thief.  :o

Jane

« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2005, 12:53:52 PM »

JMK- ;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2005, 12:59:02 PM »

I have that Cornwell/Jack the Ripper book, too, but I haven't gotten around to reading it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up