Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FRUITFUL DAY SANS FRUIT  (Read 25993 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE FRUITFUL DAY SANS FRUIT
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »

Nothing new on the ONJ boyfriend situation that I have heard of here in Oz.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2005, 07:29:02 PM »

"Greatest Love Of All" was from the movie "The Greatest"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »

MIDNIGHT COWBOY is a moving experience for me each time I see it. I can't say the same for THE KILLING OF SISTER GEORGE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2005, 07:45:27 PM »

Hmmm, I'm toying with the idea of Match.com again.  I haven't dated in a long time and am thinking it wouldn't be all bad to try it again.  I met a couple people on Match.com a few years ago and wasn't real impressed, but the bar scene here just doesn't do it for me....

Oh, I love match.com!  That's the one with Gene Rayburn and Charles Nelson Reilly isn't it?  Maybe they could get Brett Sommers and Richard Dawson to come back and do the show.  But don't ask Elaine Joyce.  She isn't nearly as funny since she married Neil Simon.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2005, 07:47:13 PM »

Folks around here regularly storm out of the theater when SWEENEY TODD is performed. It always amazes me how horrified folks are by this material.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2005, 07:50:38 PM »

Folks around here regularly storm out of the theater when SWEENEY TODD is performed. It always amazes me how horrified folks are by this material.

SWEENEY TODD?  Why?  The throat-slitting?  The pie making?  Certainly not the language.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2005, 07:51:30 PM »

MONK's season finale was very entertaining and I did not guess the identity of the crime's instigator. But the humor was both terrific while the story itself (which also involved a backstory of Monk in junior high school) was bittersweet and endearing, something this show can do very well on occasion.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2005, 07:54:43 PM »

SWEENEY TODD?  Why?  The throat-slitting?  The pie making?  Certainly not the language.

bull's eye! TWICE! "A Little Priest" which is supposed to bring down the house for a rousing Act I closer hits some folks as laughing at murder, I guess. That, and the first throat slitting, make many people leave at intermission. And if they come back, some leave later during the "Joanna" reprise.

Matt H.

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2005, 08:00:07 PM »

I then put in THE PERFECT STORM. Well, the DVD transfer is pretty perfect with stupdenous Dolby Digital EX sound and a sharp picture (maybe too sharp as some of the CGI used for the sea storm is a bit obvious).

I was tremendously moved when I saw this in the theater. I didn't know how it was going to turn out, and found the ending almost unbearably sad. Perhaps knowing ahead of time what was going to happen, I didn't experience the same emotions again.

I had forgotten the entire Cherry Jones-Karen Allen subplot and also the sequence when the Navy helicopter went down. With more than an hour left to run and George Clooney's ship already in the midst of the storm, I kept wondering how on earth the movie was going to run for another 70 minutes, but those two additional stories kept the action fast and furious,

Enjoyable, but I think tomorrow's DVD will have to be a bit more upbeat.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 08:01:00 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2005, 08:04:06 PM »

I followed THE PERFECT STORM with two more WILL & GRACE episodes. I skipped over the entertaining Thanksgiving episode (where they each spend 20 minutes per family) so I could get to "Jingle Balls" that I talked about yesterday. And I admit that I played Larry Sullivan's scenes several times each. He is beyond precious. And during the show, he does some tremendous turn outs, splits, and stretches, so it makes me think he might have been at one time a real ballet dancer.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2005, 08:04:32 PM »

Ladies and their sensitivities.

That, and squeemish hubbies.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2005, 08:18:09 PM »

bull's eye! TWICE! "A Little Priest" which is supposed to bring down the house for a rousing Act I closer hits some folks as laughing at murder, I guess. That, and the first throat slitting, make many people leave at intermission. And if they come back, some leave later during the "Joanna" reprise.

Wow!  Sorry if I sounded stupid, but I guess I just never thought of it that way.  Having seen the play version of SWEENEY TODD, which made me a little sick to my stomach; the musical with its soaring score and themes just seemed to take the story out of the realm of horror for me.  I guess I am more jaded than I thought.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2005, 08:24:08 PM »

If you get an audience who comes to a musical expecting something along the lines of OKLAHOMA or THE SOUND OF MUSIC, something like SWEENEY which has not only that blood and cannibalism but also a score that makes you ill at ease from the first blast of that factory whistle, you're going to get walkouts. As much as it pains me to admit it, audiences in my neck of the woods aren't always the most sophisticated of crowds.

(We had walkouts during LA CAGE, too, if you can believe it.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2005, 08:29:48 PM »

Did someone say John Saxon AND an extended version of THE FLY by DR CHARLES POGUE starring GEENA DAVIS and some guy?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2005, 08:30:36 PM »

Grrrrrrrrr....for some reason I am reaching nothing but dead ends in my Trivia Contest searches.  But I will keep up.

I have my lines learned for Act One, and I will start on Act Two tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2005, 08:31:51 PM »

June Lockhart, Jon Provost, Tommy Sands, Yvette Vickers, Beverly Campbell Garland Crank, John Saxon, AND Jonathan Winters??

How could it be dull?  How could it NOT be a success?  How could fun not be had?

Did Yvette put the bite on anybody for a job?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2005, 08:35:05 PM »

DR GINNY perhaps you can stand outside the church and get a picture of DINO going in.....and maybe even his special piano as it is unloaded.  Maybe he will bring the mirrored one!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2005, 08:37:14 PM »

Just read that Mr Mel Welles aka Gravis Mushnik, passed away on Friday, August 19.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2005, 08:38:46 PM »

I also read that about Mr. Mel Welles. Very sad to read it.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2005, 08:39:43 PM »

OK, I think bedtime is upon me. I will sign off for now and return tomorrow.

Good night, all.

MBarnum

« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2005, 08:44:36 PM »

DR JRand55, I am watching THUNDER ALLEY...is FIREBALL 5000 better?

I find that the more I see of Warren Berlinger, the more I like him!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2005, 08:48:16 PM »

Actually, DRMBARNUM....it's the SAME movie almost.  FIREBALL 500 has better songs AND Diane McBain so you might like it a bit better.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2005, 09:27:22 PM »

I did pick up DVDs of Kiss Me, Kate with our very own Brent Barrett

I saw that actual production (but not actual performance) in London with the WSMA, Mr. Brent Barrett and Marin Mazzie.  After the show, I got her autograph and picture but not his. :(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2005, 09:35:13 PM »

Outwitted and outsmarted?  I think not!  The trivia gods are smiling on me lately, as I again stumbled across the correct path immediately, putting all the pieces together in rather short order.  Keep 'em coming like this, Bruce!

Showoff. :P ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2005, 10:08:17 PM »

Wow! I'm the only one here, that's unusual

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2005, 10:10:11 PM »

Cool beans, I've been on match.com one hour and already have someone emailing me who seems like an ok person so far.  

At least my profile wasn't there for days with no response. That's always the scary thought.

Cillaliz

« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2005, 10:11:28 PM »

So, it looks like Katrina is making Waves and heading toward New Orleans.  Doesn't look like they'll be Walking on Sunshine when she hits the shore

td

• td
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2005, 10:22:18 PM »

George Benson had a successful version in 1977. Whitney's was 1981.

Gary Morris topped country charts with it in 1983, BUT. . .way back in 1980, Jane Olivor recorded it on her album THE BEST SIDE OF GOODBYE.

Was Benson's the version used for the film THE GREATEST?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2005, 10:30:35 PM »

Cool beans, I've been on match.com one hour and already have someone emailing me who seems like an ok person so far.  

At least my profile wasn't there for days with no response. That's always the scary thought.

Showoff. :( ;)

Actually, I have an ad on match.com also (don't ask which ::)).  A woman that I work with has an ad on match.com (she talked me into placing my ad) and has met a few real losers...but she has met a couple of guys that are really nice.  One guy actually moved in with her but then reality set in.  He wasn't a jerk, but it just didn't work out.  They moved in with each other (into her house) way too soon, so that was their fault.  They didn't really allow enough time for them to get to know each other.  Oh, well...live and learn.

FJL

« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2005, 10:34:49 PM »

On Jason's proposed topic, I've actually enjoyed quite a few covers of songs more than the originals.  

My favorite cover has got to be Naked Eyes' "Always Something There to Remind Me."   But I was also nuts about Gloria Estefan's underrated take on "Turn the Beat Around."  I wish I could figure out who did it, but there was a version of "Funkytown" that was done by an all-male band that I found preferable to the original as well.  Sister Sledge's "My Guy" is also a personal favorite.

And I got a kick out of what David Lee Roth did with some standards in that they introduced them to a new generation.

And lest I be scorned further, I won't go into my admiration for all things Osmond and Cassidy, both David and Shaun.  Except to admit that I still can't do a New Mexico tax return (and believe me, there are plenty of opportunities to do New Mexico tax returns) without thinking of the silly riff in the Partridge Family's "Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque."   And Donny Osmond's "Soldier of Love" and Shaun Cassidy's cover of "Da Doo Ron Ron" were major favorites when they came out.   (Or were they major favorites of mine when I came out; wonder if that had anything to do with it?  :)  )
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up