Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT ELSE CAN I TELL YOU?  (Read 23478 times)

Jed

Re:WHAT ELSE CAN I TELL YOU?
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2004, 02:12:52 PM »

Here's a pic of my New Year's festivities.  From L to R: Kami, Jed, Kailen, Moriah, Ken, Briar, Jefferson, Maren, David
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2004, 02:19:38 PM »

Well, that looks like a jolly group, DR Jed. I'm sure you had a "blast."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2004, 02:20:47 PM »

She be the one.  And thank you!

Not just in FFH, Ms. Clarkson delivers an atrocious performance, as Margaret White, in the television version of King's CARRIE.   :o
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2004, 02:22:09 PM »

On the subject of AUNTIE MAME, I recently read the second volume of Mame Dennis tales.  Now, there's another movie just waiting to be made.

td

• td
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2004, 02:23:28 PM »

Ken Hanke, the brilliant scribe for Scarlet Street magazine (as well as authorized biographer of Ken Russell, and to a lesser extent Tim Burton) also cites LOVE ME TONIGHT as being the greatest film musical.

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2004, 02:29:24 PM »

Before I peruse the remainder of today's lovely posts, I must toss two more cents in about A.I.:

I find it odd that all the things which Kubrick contributed to the film are almost ALWAYS attributed to Spielberg as being the negative factors of the film.   I believe that Mr. Pogue (him of the gorgeous eyes) also made that same mistake in his post early this morning.
Since I'm one of the ones who has barely any tolerance for anything Kubrickin, I'm still sorta shocked that I feel the way I do about A.I.
BK might remember those A.I. discussions on one of the dvd newsgroups, wherein posters who bitched about the "spielbergianisms" of the movie were more often than not complaining about the  Kubrickian factor.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2004, 02:31:29 PM »

Well, I've only seen LOVE ME TONIGHT once some years ago, but I got the DVD for Christmas and will be watching it over the weekend. The score, of course, has quite a few classics in it, but I don't remember being THAT bowled over by it the last (and only) time I saw it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2004, 02:32:22 PM »

Yes, DR MBarnum, I think it's agreed...you're a hottie!

Majority rules, MBarnum is indeed one hot man.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2004, 02:36:59 PM »

Well, I gave in to sleep.  But only 2 hours of it, so hopefully I'll still be able to get to sleep at a decent hour tonight.Wow!  I've never seen such a thing, either!  I reckon I needs to get me to the city more.

Yes, Will, everything is up to date in Kansas City!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2004, 02:46:13 PM »

I'd better get Love Me Tonight, I guess.  I haven't seen it around in many stores, though.  I did the looping session, but one set of loop lines is still being written, so I'll have to go back in there soon to do those lines.  It went very well, though.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2004, 02:54:11 PM »

I have got to find a different picture of myself to post.  Even I am sick of looking at it -- and we all know what egos actors have.  l should probably just take a new one of myself, but I hate smearing all that vasoline over the lens to get it to turn out.  (It's an old trick that Lucy taught me)  
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2004, 02:57:20 PM »

Adding to a topic from Thursday (very late), the only thing I really didn't like about "AI: Artificial Intelligence" was the idea for the company in the first place.  They're making children who never age and who can never NOT love their "parents" who WILL age.  If the parents know that they will have to give up their unaging children because THEY (the parents) will be too old to take care of them, wouldn't they wonder what is going to happen to these "children" and would they knowingly put their child through that situation?  Would they really get one in the first place?  That's what kept going through my mind during the first part of the movie and what I most thought about after it was over. :-\
I should refer, in turn, to my own rant a couple of days ago, about how people these days will adopt a pet, and then get rid of the pet when it is no longer convenient to take care of it, or when the pet is no longer "fun."  

The "children" of AI are not true children, they are "pets".  For that matter, since they are mechanical, they aren't even true pets, and are instead to be dropped off for destruction at the local factory (read animal shelter), or more likely simply dropped off in a forest.  When we treat the animals around us as being as disposable as Bic lighters, we have gone past the slippery slope and have fallen into the pit.  

For this reason, I find the entire film resonates with meaning for me.  Spielberg and Kubrick aren't giving us a utopia; quite the contrary.  Even the pseudoutopia of the robots of the future is lacking...but the robots know they lack something elusive, something that would be labled "humanity."  Problem is, William Hurt shows us too well during the prologue that "humanity" isn't likely to be found in humans, showing no empathy with the female robot even as he extolls that quality's virtues.  The conumdrum remains unsolved at the film's end, and David's quest to become a "real boy" remains impossible to attain.

Or, as Bugs says at the end of What's Opera, Doc?, "Well, what did you expect in an opera? A happy ending?"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2004, 03:04:14 PM »

Ha, ha! Right now it is still in the trunk of my car! Fortunately I haven't had to use it yet in my old age!

Here I am trying to figure out how to use it. My friends and family just thought this gift was hoot! Well, I will get them back some day! LOL!
DR MBarnum, certainly you have realized by now that you are supposed to dance with the walker!

Of course, it would have been more obvious if they'd also given you the little old lady dress, shoes, and wig, and instructions from Susan Strohman.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2004, 03:08:47 PM »

td: Your question about "A I" from yesterday. I have only watched it once. I gave a copy to my sister for Christmas (so I can borrow it of course). I had problems with the last half hour but the emotional effect of the first hour or so stays with you (us!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2004, 03:13:00 PM »

Good afternoon all!

After 14 hours of sleep I may finally be ready to start regaling you all with tales from HTM2004.  Bear with me because this will probably be very long… (but then again, I guess that just proves how enjoyable the trip was!)

Hussies Take Manhattan 2004 – Part One – December 29 @10pm to December 31 @ 2am

The trip started off fairly normally.  We left Mtl a little earlier than the contracted 10pm because everyone had shown up.  Both the bus driver (Bernard) and the tour operator (Gilbert) were very nice – although by the 8th hour on a completely full bus none of us were liking them, or anyone else for that matter, very much.

For some reason the trip that I had been told was for McGill and Concordia (anglo universities) students was filled with a majority of francophones our age.  I guess Gilbert forgot to mention UdeM and UQAM.  They were nice though, if a little loud when they drank ;)

We made the quick jaunt to the border in about 45 minutes and got through US Customs quite easily.  I learned one thing though: never make small talk with a customs agent.

Our conversation went like this:

HIM: Citizenship?
ME: Canadian
HIM: Documents, please.
(I hand him my birth certificate and ID cards)
looooooooonnng pause as he types my name in
ME: (who does NOT like long silences) I guess I’m being vetted
HIM: What?
ME: Oh… nothing
HIM: Tell me.
ME: I guess I’m being vetted.
HIM: Vetted?
ME: Er… yes. You know… er…

I literally RAN out of customs.  I need to learn to shut up.  

Interesting Note #1: I was terrified to not that in the customs office they had not one but TWO pictures of Bush and Cheney up on the wall.  I swear the pictures were looking at me.  Actually, they kind of reminded me of how Iraqi Baathists all had at least one portrait of Saddam and his favorite horse up in their homes…

The trip down was very very very very long.  We stopped in New Baltimore (just south of Albany) which is definitely a hick town if ever I saw a hick town.  The highlight of New Baltimore was Andrea trying to take candies out of one of those candy machines but being so out of it she dropped them all over the ground.  

We FINALLY arrived in NYC at around 4:45 am and were happily able to go into our hotel room at that time for a quick nap.  The hotel was the Saint-James on the corner of 44th and 6th – a most wonderful location.   As far as being luxurious… well it wasn’t – but we didn’t spend enough time there to complain.  Overall it was very clean but the beds were made for midgets.  My feet hung over the end and I’m only 5’8 ½.

That morning we decided against going to the TODAY show, as originally planned, for some more sleep.  We got up around 10am and spent the day doing touristy sight-seeing stuff. From what I remember that included picking up my WICKED ticket at the Gershwin (and taking a picture in front of the theatre), Radio City Music Hall, Saint-Patrick’s, Central Synagogue, the Morgan Library, the Public Library and then taking the Staten Island Ferry (and eating SUBWAY on the boat).

Interesting Note #2: In the US you can add jalapeno peppers to you sandwich at Subway’s.  Now why on earth is that not an option here?  I should petition someone…[/i]

Interesting Note #3: The three of us got to do an Indianna Jones’ running action sequence to get on the return ferry at Staten Island.  The doors were closing as we got there…[/i]

We arrived back at the hotel just in time to make it for the sightseeing tour included in the price of our trip.  It was 3pm – we still needed to get Andrea and Robin theatre tickets for that night, change and meet the Hainsies/Kimets for dinner at 5pm.

The sightseeing tour was immediately clogged by traffic and by 4pm we had only arrived at the Dakota and Central Park.  So we ditched it and took the Subway back to Times Square.

By then, the TKTS booth line was just insanely long and any shows that Robin and Andrea had thought of seeing were no longer available.  It was 4:20pm.  The logical thing to do was to try for Wicked lottery tickets.  At the Gershwin.  Which took place at 4:30.    

So we literally RAN from the TKTS booth up to 55th street in crazy amounts of car and pedestrian traffic.  By the time we got there it was exactly 4:30 and Robin and Andrea got in the line-up for the lottery.  Meanwhile I was freaking out because it was so late and we were supposed to meet Maya at 5 at Ollies and I still needed to change.  

So I took the one hotel room key we had been given, ran BACK to the hotel on 44th, changed and ran back to the Gershwin in the hope that the line was very slow moving and I might be able to put my name in too.  

I arrived at the theatre exhausted, sweaty and having body checked at least four people who were innocently stopped on the side walk looking around.  

Andrea and Robin had NOT gotten the tickets and were kind of disappointed – as was I because at that point we had no open time for them to see anything.  Also, they had to find something to do while I was basking in Stephen Schwartz’s seat.

We finally met up with Maya and LC at Ollie’s at around 5:30 (only half and hour late!) and sat down to a delightful – if not favourable to deep discussion – dinner.  

DR Jason appeared at 6:30 just as we were divvying up the bill.  We took the picture that LC posted outside the restaurant just then and Maya, LC and I trudged once again up to the Gershwin.  Robin and Andrea decided to try their luck with CYGOPP that evening.

Meanwhile Maya and I got into our seats at WICKED and settled in to one of my best theatrical experiences ever.  

Interesting Note #4: When Idina went into her unbelievable final verse of “Defying Gravity” as she rises in the air, a woman sitting behind me actually gasped.  That sums up WICKED for me…[/i]

Interesting Notes #5: I tried to phone Andrea and Robin back at the hotel room from a pay phone in the lobby of the theatre.  I didn’t have enough change since the phone required 50 cents for a local call.  50 cents?  That is so weird… I have never known a phone that took more than a quarter for a local call…[/i]

After the show (which kicked serious bootay) Maya and I met up with LC and her friend Carrie and planned our evening around going to a piano bar.  

We went back to the hotel room to find Robin, Andrea and CYGOPP (!!!) lounging around preparing for their own activities since they weren’t quite as excited as me at the prospect of singing show tunes all night.

Our two groups split up with them wandering around (I think they went through Central Park) and us getting on a subway to the East Village.

Maya already told you about learning the golden rule of underage drinking (“don’t ask… don’t show”) while getting kicked out of Marie’s Crisis. :) Luckily we FINALLY found a place that didn’t card me and we settled in for a few drinks and much jollity.  Maya, LC and Carrie were all extremely nice and I am glad I got to spend some time with them.

I got back to the hotel around 1:30 and, after comparing notes with Andrea (who by this time was getting a little confused about CYGOPP) fell asleep around 2.  I was nicely exhausted and knew I had to get up at 6:15 to go to the TODAY show or face the wrath of Robin.  

So ends Part One.  It is three pages long.  Good Lord.  This day by day recount might take a while to get through… I like doing this though because it helps me take stock of the entire trip at once… sorry if you guys don’t enjoy it as much as me…  ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2004, 03:21:10 PM »

oh and I changed back my pic due to popular demand :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2004, 03:32:38 PM »

My UNSUNG SONDHEIM Cd arrived today!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2004, 03:50:27 PM »

I may have to go for some ditigal enhancement. It is so difficult to compete with that cowboy from Salem. As with TCB, I do get tired of seeing my own photo.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2004, 03:58:05 PM »

I watched "Chicken Run" last night - first time for over a year. It is such fun.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2004, 03:58:31 PM »

Emily!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2004, 04:11:22 PM »

It's the Tom Tom show! A hard act to beat. We hear drums but where is everyone?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 04:15:11 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2004, 04:19:05 PM »

All right all right.  Enough of this!  So he's good looking...so what...is he a nice person?

I bet so!  Keith and I both agree his brother Allen is very nice and we don't say that lightly.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2004, 04:20:16 PM »

Emily!  I loved part one of HTM2004.  Don't worry about the length.  With the exception of Gone With The Wind, I love long historical novels.  By the way (BTW in internet lingo) don't blame the Big Apple for the cost of a pay phone.  Even in lowly Tacoma, Washington, it is going to take you two quarters (American) to make a call.  It's okay to be upset, I still miss the five cent Hershey Bar.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2004, 04:22:22 PM »

Well, Ozzie, so much for being alone.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2004, 04:24:54 PM »

So, Jane, I have a weather window Sun/Mon - I'll probably be whizzing through and not stop... but I'll stop over on the way back in two weeks. Egad, this is fun!

Two weeks-send me the dates.  I am making my plans for Bethesda and don't want to miss you.

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2004, 04:30:09 PM »

I was beginning to enjoy it TCB. Maybe next year! (If you don't wear a clown costume).
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2004, 04:33:17 PM »

I keep expecting some of you to mention those world class cinema artists Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck for GIGLI, but as yet, no one has thought to mention their sterling work.

I missed that movie but considering the previews, I suspect you are making a very big joke.  ;)

Michael

« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2004, 04:40:58 PM »

I am getting some new furniture tomorrow and movie around my desk which makes it necessary to disconnect my computer. I hope to be on line again Saturday night or Sunday during the day.
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2004, 04:45:56 PM »

Tom of Oz: My vote is for your "other" photo!

Emily:  I've read not one word demanding you return to the drawing.  Be you!

TCB:  I share your confusion over the "made a move" statement regarding DR Jason and Cygopp.  I don't even know how not to be confused over it!

:)

DR MattH:  No kind words or kudos for Elijah Wood or Viggo Mortensen?????

Laura II

« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2004, 04:49:19 PM »

Welcome, DR PennyO!

Hmm hope the skier is doing better...

Jed: haha! Your post made me laugh so much! However, I'm sorry to say that I think I've forgotten how to flirt. Oh woe is me! Btw, you forgot Swish--is that because she's jailbait? Heeheehee :) (I love ya, Swish!)

Emily: I can't wait for part two! I love very detailed stories. I certainly feel like I'm there with you. Oh, re: the Dakota. My bro is a Beatles buff*, and I remember my mom getting a cab and asking them to take us by the building en route to our destination. ::sigh:: I miss the city!

*He's a 15 year old Beatles enthusiast who was just published in Daytrippin', a Beatles magazine.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up