Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THICK OF NOVEMBER  (Read 29885 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE THICK OF NOVEMBER
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2005, 08:10:46 PM »

I had the choice of watching STAR WARS III tonight or WAR OF THE WORLDS, and I chose the latter.

They have restored the movie beautifully. No more print damage, and most of it looks very sharp, clear, and colorful. The wires on the Martian ships are more visible than ever due to the high resolution of DVD, but that didn't lessen the enjoyment of the film at all for me. Seems like there were a couple of scenes in the DVD version that weren't on my VHS version, but I could be wrong. I haven't watched the movie in five or six years.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2005, 08:14:07 PM »

Page 9 Lucy Dance!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2005, 08:14:43 PM »

Hello from Chez Vixter!  The Vixter & I both thank you for your kind thoughts.

She is feeling a little better but sounds very much like a little Sally Kellerman which is both cute and somewhat unsettling at the same time.....

As Kim Carnes might have sang:

All the boys think she's so choice.
She's got--
Sally Kellerman voice!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2005, 08:17:28 PM »

What I wanna know is, who the heck is the spokesman nowadays?

Or did the orange growers decide that enough was enough?

Oops--that would be me.  In the hustle and bustle of my life, I often forget my duties.

Drink more orange juice!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2005, 08:17:52 PM »

Bryan just called.  He was famished after his trip to Charlotte.  Seems he couldn’t get a healthy vegetarian meal.  Matt H, is it just the restaurants he was taken to, or is the town a steak & potatoes sort of place?

There are certainly a lot of those meat and potatoes restaurants (my favorites, BTW), but I know of several with vegetarian menus.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #245 on: November 02, 2005, 08:19:55 PM »

Funniest thing I heard all day:  some columnist in NY talked about the visiting Charles and Carmilla and he said something along the lines of "...when Charles and Diana visited years back, it was like having Fred and Ginger.  With these two, it's like Fred and Ethel"
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2005, 08:21:38 PM »

After I finished WAR OF THE WORLDS, I watched the very well done documentary on the making of the film. Gene Barry and Ann Robinson were both present, of course, along with quite a few other people either involved with the picture or who have written about George Pal, sci-fi, etc.

There are two separate commentaries on the disc, but I wanted to hear with stereo track (very effective, especially the sounds of the Martian ships blipping out of the rear speakers as other things are coming from the center and fronts. Nice.

Matt H.

« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2005, 08:23:14 PM »

Then, while waiting for my network show to begin, I chose MY NAME IS EARL from the DVR. Enjoyable foolishness, but I'm looking more forward to seeing THE OFFICE at some point in the next few days.

Matt H.

« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2005, 08:25:31 PM »

Yesterday when I was doing some testing on the home theater setup I had installed, I landed on WIN A DATE WITH TAD HAMILTON on HBO-HD. I never saw this film in the theater and never watched it on HBO the numerous times it's been shown over the last few months.

However, the scene happened to have both Sean Hayes and Nathan Lane in it, and I had no idea either one of them was in the movie, so I programmed the DVR to pick up the next showing of the film so I could finally watch it. That will happen at some point this weekend, too, I suspect.

Matt H.

« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2005, 08:29:12 PM »

Tonight's LAW & ORDER episode featured a story concerning sterilization. The subject was interesting enough just on that, but who should turn out to be the defense attorney but Richard Brooks playing Paul Robinette who was with the show as a regular during its first three seasons. Always nice to see former cast members pop up on the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #250 on: November 02, 2005, 08:30:52 PM »

DR Ron, we woulod like to read your impressions of STAR WARS III, not only as a film but how you thought it looked and sounded as well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #251 on: November 02, 2005, 08:33:02 PM »

My intention is to make the vixter a STAR.  vixmom, send me your address and I'll send you the sheet music - I may even have a pdf of it on the computer if you'd rather have it that way.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2005, 08:34:07 PM »

Hey y'all...

I'm about to go back and read today's column and postings, but before I do, a few loose ends from yesterday:

Dan, in my head it's definitely Dinah.  I don't think the other recordings compare.  I've got about three or four different Dinah cds and at least two of them have that one on it... and nobody gets the heartbreak and the desperation, hence the joy and beauty that she gives you.

Jose,  I will pass that info along to Geoff, Rachel, Sara, Dave, and Nikole.  PS they may be looking for someone to play for something Monday... I'll have to check on that.  E-mail me if I forget:  joydewing@verizon.net.

Jason, you sound so much like me.  We really should have cocktails.

Everyone else, thanks for the vociferous welcomes back.  Catch up with y'all soon!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #253 on: November 02, 2005, 08:35:45 PM »

Um, George... your tourist costume was AMAZING.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #254 on: November 02, 2005, 08:46:21 PM »

OH and DR Jose and everyone else:

Re the Juliana-esque Journal idea:  There's a great online "journal" called Confessions of a Broadway Actor that is brilliantly smart-assy and true-to-life, and it's Anonymous so nobody gets in trouble.  Of course, you can probably figure it out if you work hard enough... but it gives me the idea that there should be a similar thing, kind of a "Confessions of a Broadway Accompanist" column, where we get the real dish (nothing that could hurt anyone or their career, of course) about a Broadway gig.  Don't anyone take this the wrong way, but I always felt that was something that was lacking in J's Journal.  She had to be careful about what she reported because her career was at stake.  She couldn't really say anything that might be construed as negative or tell any juicy tales, because everyone knows who she is.  Just a thought... hm....

Okay, still catching up!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #255 on: November 02, 2005, 08:46:42 PM »

Um, George... your tourist costume was AMAZING.

Thank you very much! (I think. ;)) The sad part is that, except for the glasses, I have worn (and continue to wear) every part of my "costume" in my every day life...even the hat! ;D Just not all at once.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #256 on: November 02, 2005, 08:55:38 PM »

Dan, in my head it's definitely Dinah.  I don't think the other recordings compare.  I've got about three or four different Dinah cds and at least two of them have that one on it... and nobody gets the heartbreak and the desperation, hence the joy and beauty that she gives you.

Thanks, DR Joy.  I've also got confirmation from DR Tomovoz about Dinah, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of her recordings.  She's pretty much uncharted territory for me and I think I'm going to love emersing myself into her music.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #257 on: November 02, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »

After midnight in these parts, so I'm off to bed.

Good night, everyone!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #258 on: November 02, 2005, 09:10:05 PM »

Good Evening!

Whew!  Another long day, but another good one too!  Rehearsals kicked into gear for Lestat - I finally touched some piano keys today - and the "magic" struck again for me at the O'Neill box office - I got a seventh row center ticket for Sweeney Todd.

:)

I'm gonna do my best to catch up on the notes and posts from today, but I'm also trying to get to bed at a "decent" hour tonight too.  -And extra hour or two of sleep last night would have been a good thing today.  -Did that makes sense?  In any case...

I'm reading!  I'm reading!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #259 on: November 02, 2005, 09:17:15 PM »

Elmore, I spent the better part of my day today searching the world with a fine-tooth comb to find a Young Lena Horne to cast in "Stormy Weather".  Howw about that.  I think we came up with some FINE ideas and I hope they'll be pleased.

Jane, how about cooking the rice and the veggies at the same time, in the same pot, by using a steamer basket and just plunking it on top of the rice in the pot and then closing the lid; or the same idea with just the right size strainer?  You might have to wrap tin foil around the lid to seal it off a little better, but that might kill two birds with one hot plate!

Jose, thanks for reminding me that I need to get on that Sweeney Todd business.  I must see that show.  Wish I could be there on opening night to bow obsequiously to Patti and drool over Michael... I have this thing about the Cerveris boys.  Mmmm, Cerveris-wich... mmmmm.... *drool*

TOD:  BK, whom do you use for casting out there in La-La Land?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: November 02, 2005, 10:08:11 PM »

Good Morning!

Well... Let's see what I remember from the day's posts...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #261 on: November 02, 2005, 10:09:39 PM »

BK - I would be more than happy to pass on Greetings to whomever you wish.  -And, actually, if I do come across someone whom I know you've worked with, I automatically pass on your Greetings, "unprompted".   -I guess my mind has been elsewhere the past couple of days.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: November 02, 2005, 10:12:50 PM »

DR Joy - Geoff actually called me earlier this evening to see if I was available for something tomorrow... which I won't be able to cover.  And I took the opportunity to fill him on my limited availability for the next couple of months.  -However, Dave has always been very good to me, and it's nice knowing that I'm on the "list" with you guys.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #263 on: November 02, 2005, 10:16:59 PM »

...And as for me keeping a journal...  It really would be tricky especially when it comes to "juicy" stuff - or even serious happenings backstage.  Yes, I'd be more than happy to share things that happen/affect me, but even some of those moments could be "questionable" in regards to those I work with.

I've toyed with keeping a semi-detailed journal of some of my most memorable audition experiences, but I'd feel VERY uncomfortable ever putting them into print.  Some of those "incidents" are very specific, and, god forbid, that that person ends up reading about him/herself on-line, in a book, etc.  Heck, even my ego can be very fragile when it comes to my "art", and for actors I believe it's even moreso.

Anecdotes are fine.  Day-to-day happenings... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #264 on: November 02, 2005, 10:18:47 PM »

WELCOME BACK,

DR JOY!!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #265 on: November 02, 2005, 10:25:41 PM »

As for Sweeney Todd...

I totally go "it".  This was the first time I felt truly frightened by what was going on on stage.  -And the factory whistle blow is quite "shocking" and near-ear-splitting too.

All in all, the whole enterprise was carried off very well.  There were a few moments where I missed some "bigness", but there were plenty of other moments where the intimacy of the production just really worked.

The rest of the audience seemed to get it tonight too.  I did hear a few "whispers" during intermission and after the show, and I saw a few empty seats once the second act started.  -Actually, half of the row in front of me - the sixth row - left at intermission.   Unfortunately, they were placed by two women, one of whom decided to eat a very crinkly bag of Whoppers and drink from a very crinkly water bottle for the first 15 minutes of Act 2.  Almost everyone around her was sending daggers her way... She just continued to smile and crinkle away... And whisper things to her companion.  UGH!  But...

I really enjoyed the show.  I can see where the Sweeney purists would take issue with the production - which would be all of it - and all I want to say to them is, "Get over it!"  This is not your Father's Sweeney Todd.  Enjoy the innovation, and be thankful, that someone has chosen not to simply ape Hal Prince's original Broadway production.  If you want to see a reasonable facsimile of that, then just stay home and watch the DVD.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: November 02, 2005, 10:27:20 PM »

...And from a musical standpoint, it was neat hearing where certain passages were edited, and how certain songs were transposed up or down.  -And I have to wonder if some of the transpositions were needed in order to avoid some difficult key (signatures) for the actor/instrumentalists.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #267 on: November 02, 2005, 10:29:32 PM »

And as I mentioned earlier, Lestat rehearsals kicked into gear today.  The past two days were basically spent getting ready for the Group Sales event yesterday.  We started teaching some music, as well as started staging one of the numbers.  It was nice to finally be playing at piano today, instead of just sitting at one.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #268 on: November 02, 2005, 10:29:56 PM »

DR vixmom - Continued Get Well Vibes to the vixter.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #269 on: November 02, 2005, 10:30:43 PM »

DR td - I keep running into Doug Sills in the elevator - and he was actually at Sweeney tonight too.  Should I pass on your greetings to him?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up