Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES  (Read 35396 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2004, 12:17:40 PM »

Continuing both my own posting frenzy and a subject brought up in yesterday's posts, der Brucer found this link about cicadas.

I've got to get him back into posting here.  I think his computer is up and working again.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2004, 12:23:16 PM »

Never tried fries with mayo....hmmmmm

Butterscotch cream pie!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2004, 12:24:41 PM »

Welcome, Kathy!  For you, a page four dance of your own!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
:D
;) :D ;)
8) ;) :D ;) 8)
:-* 8) ;) :D ;) 8) :-*
;D :-* 8) ;) :D ;) 8) :-* ;D
[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2004, 12:26:44 PM »

Yes, lunch at the House of Pies SOON.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2004, 12:33:34 PM »

WELCOME KATHY!
[/size][/font]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2004, 12:36:54 PM »

I just came home from the dentist (just a regular cleaning) and am now drooling - DROOLING - after reading all the posts!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2004, 12:39:56 PM »

Hi, all. Going to be in NY from evening of May 29 'til morning of June 5. Anyone got a spare room???

In the past ten days, I've cast my reading. I found some very good voices up here in Seattle, and the opera singers don't seem to be put off by my slaughtering of a favorite Mozart opera. Such a strange thing tho' - on my way back from Jane and Keith's on Saturday, Marriage of Figaro was playing on the radio... for the first time ever, I thought it was terribly lightweight and silly. The tunes I've loved forever suddenly seemed non-existent in all the yipping and squawking. Maybe it was the production - a none-too-stellar Italian production.  But all that wonderful counterpoint, dazzlingly original and inventive ensemble writing just seemed so... so silly. I was grateful for the cuts I've made, and even considered more cutting. What had once seemed sacreligious now is imperative. Oy. Am I too close to it?
PennyO

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2004, 12:41:33 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2004, 12:41:42 PM »

Is ranch dressing a common dressing for fries?  I have never heard of doing this.  Is the ranch dressing like salad dressing?

Yes - ranch dressing is commonly used as a salad dressing. The only two people I have ever met who insist on the ranch dressing/fries/ onion rings combo are my Darling Daughter and bk. In fact, DD will not eat the most delicious fries or onion rings if Ranch dressing is not to be had. It's actually quite a delicious taste treat, once you get over the mental "this is salad dressing" hurdle.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2004, 12:42:44 PM »

Early alert for DR Jose:

Tomorrow, at 9PM on Food, new Good Eats episode on bananas!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2004, 12:42:46 PM »

PennyO -- Welcome back! I haven't seen you here in ages!  Are you in Seattle now?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2004, 12:43:41 PM »

BK, don't you control the menu at Joe Allen? :)

DR Jennifer, if he did, the coconut cream pie would be a standard like their yummilicious banana cream pie!

I just made a sandwich I call an Alice, named after my neighbor who turned me on to it:  basically an omelette on bread (I prefer multigrain but I had potato bread today) with a little bit of ranch dressing on the bread, alfalfa sprouts and watercress.  I happen to make excellent tuna salad with a bit of chopped onion and pickle relish, which I love on multigrain bread with a thin slice of cheddar cheese on top.  Great with fries, onion rings, potato chips!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2004, 12:44:05 PM »

I had a long chat about dogs in a store just now with an actress from DAYS OF OUR LIVES. As I don't watch DOOL. I have no idea who she was - but heard others identifying her as a cast member. If there are any fans out there, I can describe her and you can supply the ID.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2004, 12:46:00 PM »

Let the summer stunt casting begin...

Norbert Leo Butz is being replaced in WICKED by New Kid on the Block Joey McIntyre

Hunter Foster (who is the next Leo in THE PRODUCERS) is being replaced in LITTLE SHOP by N*SYNC member Joey Fatone

The latest Roxie in the CHICAGO revisal will be Paige something from one of those home redecorating shows

An "American Idol" loser (no - not William Hung) is featured in RENT

Remember the days people went to see Broadway stars in Broadway shows?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jed

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2004, 12:46:43 PM »

Wowza, I am officially HUNGRY!!!  I loves me a good sammich, and we've got a plethora of good ones being posted here.  Can't go wrong with a good reuben (with plenty of DR Jane's favorite... horseradish, and I don't mean horseradish sauce, I mean plain ol' grated horseradish).  A nice, juicy patty melt loaded up with sauteed onions will get me drooling.  Also love a good chicken salad (although many don't live up to the "good" label).  If I'm making a sandwich at home, it's usually something quite simple.  Often some lunch meat or other with cheese, mayo, and mustard... or peanut butter and butter (sometimes with a slice of onion).

For sides, I share my mother's weakness for fries.  What I dip my fries in varies quite a bit with my mood... ketchup, ranch, thousand island, tartar sauce, horseradish sauce, mayo, or various combos of the above.  My favorite fries would have to be at Gustav's in the nearby Bavarian-themed tourist trap of Leavenworth where I've lived for a few months a few different times.  Nice thick fries, skin still on, properly greasy.  And I always eat these with the yummilicious dark pub mustard they have at every table (seem to think it may be a Henry Weinhardt's brand mustard, actually).  As Homer Simpson would say, "Aarghlrlhglhalrglahrlglhgh."

Also can eat myself silly on a good macaroni salad, but seems that at least 80% of the macaroni salads I come across have WAY too much mayo for my taste.  My favorite is the one my grandmother, mother, and myself all make.  4 cups of macaroni (pre-cooked amount), 4 boiled eggs, 4 slices of bologna, 4 sweet pickles, and 4 green onions (ok, I sometimes cheat and throw in some extra green onion).  Dressed with a simple mayo/vinegar/sugar dressing, but not too much!  A bowl of this salad and a glass of Kool-Aid... one of my favorite parts of summer as a kid.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2004, 12:47:18 PM »

DOOL mystery solved - I looked up the show on Google and saw her picture. Peggy McKay.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2004, 12:47:28 PM »

In the past ten days, I've cast my reading. I found some very good voices up here in Seattle, and the opera singers don't seem to be put off by my slaughtering of a favorite Mozart opera. Such a strange thing tho' - on my way back from Jane and Keith's on Saturday, Marriage of Figaro was playing on the radio... for the first time ever, I thought it was terribly lightweight and silly. The tunes I've loved forever suddenly seemed non-existent in all the yipping and squawking. Maybe it was the production - a none-too-stellar Italian production.  But all that wonderful counterpoint, dazzlingly original and inventive ensemble writing just seemed so... so silly. I was grateful for the cuts I've made, and even considered more cutting. What had once seemed sacreligious now is imperative. Oy. Am I too close to it?
Take a deep breath.  Relax.  Have someone throw roses your way.  Indulge in a light snack.  And then do what you know you need to do.

With love.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2004, 12:48:58 PM »

TCB - Yes, I am back. And gone again, and back again. I live in my car. The estimable Honda Civic Hybrid, which, over the 18,000 I've racked up since November, has gotten a truly appreciated 48.4 mpg. About $45 Seattle-LA. The same coming back. I highly recommend this little automobile!
PennyO

Jed

« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2004, 12:49:07 PM »

This post has no purpose what so ever, other than pushing me across the 1,000 mark. :D

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2004, 12:51:03 PM »

Woody - how kind, and how perfect is your prescription. Now, to find another gallant gent to heave red roses in my general direction....
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2004, 12:51:06 PM »

Ranch isn't the only dressing used for both salads and other edibles.  Thousand Island has long been used on sandwiches and burgers, even when it's monikered as "Secret Sauce."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2004, 12:52:19 PM »

This post has no purpose what so ever, other than pushing me across the 1,000 mark. :D
A congratulatory spanking to Deus aux Deux Jed!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2004, 12:53:40 PM »

Woody - how kind, and how perfect is your prescription. Now, to find another gallant gent to heave red roses in my general direction....
Well, I hope he can do better than heave!  Somehow, that's just the wrong verb.

Ben

« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2004, 12:53:41 PM »

Ah, Jed. You beat me. I have 9 to go counting this one.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 12:54:33 PM by Ben »

Jed

« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2004, 12:54:02 PM »

DOOL mystery solved - I looked up the show on Google and saw her picture. Peggy McKay.

Actually, she's a former cast member at this point.  One of about 10 longtime characters killed off in the past year.  But, hey, it's a soap opera, nobody's ever really dead.

I hang my head in shame that I know that.  Grew up watching the show when my mother was a fan.  Now I find that I watch for a couple months every few years... the downside to having some days off! :D

Panni

« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2004, 01:04:06 PM »

Actually, she's a former cast member at this point.  One of about 10 longtime characters killed off in the past year.  But, hey, it's a soap opera, nobody's ever really dead.

I don't want to give away any soap secrets, but she did say something in the drug store about perhaps... She wasn't sure... There was talk...    :-XYou didn't hear it from me :-X

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2004, 01:10:11 PM »

S. Woody White, re: your tomato question,  I like everything made from tomatoes...Tomato sauce, catsup, tomato juice, etc...but not tomatoes themselves.  Go figure...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2004, 01:14:45 PM »

When I was young, I did not like vegetables much at all. Other than potatoes and peas, I would turn my nose up at most vegetables. As I've gotten older, I find that I love them. There aren't many I don't like.

As for pork, well, it's not the other white meat to me. It and chicken rank side by side as fabulous foods on my personal menu. But, so does beef.

Suffice to say, I love food.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2004, 01:15:15 PM »

Mmm...all this talk of food..
As far as sandwiches go...well, the ones I'm most fond of are in the "salad" category.  Chicken salad, tuna salad, and egg salad, in that order.  Of course, has to be a good version thereof...and I fully agree with DR Charles Pogue.  Too much junk in the salad is not a good idea.
Other than that...can't go wrong with a nice turkey sandwich...and I admit I have a childhood weakness for bologna.  :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2004, 01:15:37 PM »

I hope that the mayo was on one slice of bread, and the mustard was on the other!  It's a key part of making a sandwich with both, so that they hit your tongue separately and give a double wham of flavor.  The idea of "Dijonaise", where they are blended in a jar, defeats the entire idea.

You are correct.  From the bottom (or top):  bread, mayo, cheese, bologna, mustard, bread...and not any other way. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up