Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RARIN' TO GET CRACKIN'  (Read 21931 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:RARIN' TO GET CRACKIN'
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2004, 03:10:59 PM »

If Jane Krakowsky, dressed like that, was dancing around my bed, there'd be no looking at any book.  I'd not take my eyes off her.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2004, 03:13:16 PM »

Yep!  He spends more time in Europe than New York.  Hmmm . . .

Hmmm indeed!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2004, 03:26:29 PM »

Jose I have never had a deep fried dog-I hope that is in olive oil.
Olive oil is rarely used for deep frying.  It has too low of a smoke point, and imparts it's own flavor to whatever is being fried.  Deep frying works better with oils like canola or peanut, which aren't deeply flavored and don't smoke until they reach higher temperatures.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2004, 03:33:08 PM »

Well, I have already had a busy day just being at home!
So, to save some bandwith, and to hopefully amuse, I have uploaded all of MY photos to the net (and one of those photos was taken by DR elmore3003!).
To see some shots of my three days in NYC (there are loads more to come once someone in Australia wakens) just drop in here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v305/minx_the_dog/doofi%20in%20new%20york/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 03:46:14 PM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2004, 03:33:40 PM »

Olive oil is rarely used for deep frying.  It has too low of a smoke point, and imparts it's own flavor to whatever is being fried.  Deep frying works better with oils like canola or peanut, which aren't deeply flavored and don't smoke until they reach higher temperatures.

And your point would be?!?!?!?

;)

Actually, baby artichokes fried in olive oil are wonderful!

And I seem to remember some major Italian chef being asked one time about what Italians did their deep frying in.  He/she answered "olive oil".  And I think I've seen Mario Batali deep fry in olive oil too on TV.  And, come to think of it, I've had some of his deep-fried creations at Babbo.  Buon appetito!
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2004, 03:36:01 PM »

So what's this "shout" bidness, MR TD?

This shout business is basically, "I'm paying." or "I'm buying that for you." or "Put your money away, this one's on me."    ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2004, 03:37:11 PM »

Christmas Carol came in third for the evening in the ratings.  

All these old names are coming back - anything to be "hip" with these movie people.  It started with Lily, and Max and Sam and Zachary, and now we've obviously moved along to Phinni and whatever the other name was.  I'm waiting for Eggbert and Aloysius and I have no doubt they'll be coming along soon.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2004, 03:38:12 PM »

If you've microwaved your hot dog for longer than two minutes, you've overdone it.

(Finally, a cooking issue I can weigh in on.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2004, 03:43:06 PM »

Hmm... I haven't had dinner yet... Maybe I'll walk down to the New York Deli (yes, we have a place called New York Deli in Richmond - they have H&H bagels delivered every two days!) and get a hot dog...
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2004, 03:51:40 PM »

If you're going for a bagel, make sure it's the right day.  A bagel is good for about 24 hours, no more.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2004, 03:57:29 PM »

How come no one names their kids Bertha anymore?

Or Ethel?  I've always like that name...no, really I have! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2004, 04:00:44 PM »

And your point would be?!?!?!?

;)

Actually, baby artichokes fried in olive oil are wonderful!

And I seem to remember some major Italian chef being asked one time about what Italians did their deep frying in.  He/she answered "olive oil".  And I think I've seen Mario Batali deep fry in olive oil too on TV.  And, come to think of it, I've had some of his deep-fried creations at Babbo.  Buon appetito!

The best fried chicken I've had is deep fried in olive oil. (It's an Italian recipe, natch.)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2004, 04:03:21 PM »

If you're going for a bagel, make sure it's the right day.  A bagel is good for about 24 hours, no more.

Good advice, Noel. I once bought a day-old  bargain bagel and broke a tooth. Some bargain. My dentist said the best day for his business was the day the bagel crossed the ethnic barrier. According to Dr. Mednick, stale bagels rank first, just ahead of unpopped popcorn kernels.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2004, 04:15:13 PM »

One moment I missed especially in last nights musical.....was that wonderful and breath-taking moment in SCROOGE. - just as soon as we have gotten used to Albert Finney as the old Scrooge....suddenly there he is, as handsome as he ever was on screen - as his younger self.  

Last night's younger Scrooge looked like that Calvin Kline underwear model.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2004, 04:16:52 PM »

Last night's younger Scrooge looked like that Calvin Kline underwear model.

Now, THAT is something I wish I had seen!   ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2004, 04:21:34 PM »

Dan (the Man) your Festivus Pole looks very boring. :-\

I guess that's because mom didn't want to spring for a real aluminum Festivus pole, so we put up an artificial wooden one.  :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2004, 04:24:03 PM »

Hi all!

Dan (the Man) you mean I'm out there treading water all by myself?!?   Agh!  

Panni, I wouldn't want to disagree with you regarding the Chestnuts but how do you get the salt into them if you don't put the X on them and boil them in salt water first?  

Thank you for all the help, Dear Uncle Der Bruiser.  ;)

Jane, did you get my e-mail about the shirt?  Maybe I can receive but not send?

I also LOVE  The Bells of St. Mary's (which I bought on DVD a few weeks ago).  The only story I can't find on DVD is Christmas in Conneticut --the orignal version.  I didn't like the remake at all.  

What along day at work!  Mondays following a 4 day weekend should be banned.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2004, 04:44:56 PM »

DR Jane, I actually think Phinn is a cute name!

And DR MattH, I love DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.  But I wonder if it's more of a girl thing.  I also enjoy LOST.  But comparitively I LOVE DH so much more.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2004, 04:45:52 PM »

If you've microwaved your hot dog for longer than two minutes, you've overdone it.

(Finally, a cooking issue I can weigh in on.)

I miss our old Hot Dogger counter top appliance.  You pushed each end of your hot dog onto these metal points, closed the plastic lid and plugged it in.  I guess it ran some low voltage through the weiner cause the thing cooked in record time.  And if you left it in just a little bit over the time limit, the dog would explode open and come to resemble something out of DR Charles Pogue's The Fly.  They were still tasty, though.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2004, 04:47:05 PM »

I have a cooking question.  Maybe S. Woody White or someone else can help me.

How long per pound do you bake a pork roast?  I had a 3 pounder tonight (it had bones in the middle).  I cooked it for 1 1/2 and it was way underdone.  Would 2 hours have done the trick?

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2004, 04:49:22 PM »

Re: bagels

Well I doubt any of your bagels are like Montreal bagels, but if your bagel is more than 24 hours old (and seems a bit stale) just put it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.  That will do the trick.

Danise

« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2004, 04:58:43 PM »

Gee, Jennifer, the way I know my pork is done is when it's falling off the bone.    I put it in the slow cooker, put it on about 250/300 degrees and let it cook all day.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2004, 05:09:03 PM »

Does anyone have a pic of Ruth Manning, the actress who died yesterday?  The name is familiar, but I can't attach a face to it.  Her credits at imdb don't help much either.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2004, 05:21:48 PM »

"And David Garrison (Steve Rhodes in Married with Children) will be the Wizard."

Of course, I think of him as the David Garrison from A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD, A NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE.

And, of course, I think of David Garrison as Bruce Ismay in TITANIC.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Emily

« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2004, 06:18:22 PM »

I'm eating cheddar cheese and turkey bologna right now.

Somehow it works.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2004, 06:31:19 PM »

I have a cooking question.  Maybe S. Woody White or someone else can help me.

How long per pound do you bake a pork roast?  I had a 3 pounder tonight (it had bones in the middle).  I cooked it for 1 1/2 and it was way underdone.  Would 2 hours have done the trick?

Was it a pork loin roast?

1 1/2 hours sounds like it should have done the trick, but there are some variables to consider.

What temperature did you cook it at?
-I've been using the method suggested in The Joy of Cooking where you start the roast off at 450F for the first fifteen minutes, and the lower the over to 250F for another hour and a half or so.  PLUS, then letting the roast rest to finish cooking outside the oven - residual hear and all.  And that's usually for a five-pounder.

What kind of pan did you cook it in?
-If the sides are too high, then the heat cannot circulate properly around the roast.  The size of the roasting pan is usually not a major factor, but sometimes...

Did you take the roast right from the fridge and put it in the preheated oven?
-Now this is something I've learned over the past few years, and I've finally learned to "deal with it", and let all my fears dealing with food safety go by the wayside...  When cooking a chunk of meat - whether it's beef, lamb, pork, even turkey and chicken - it helps to let the piece of meat warm up a little bit before placing it in the oven.  I'm not saying to leave it out until it comes to room temperature, but just long enough to take the chill off the outside.  This way the piece of meat and the oven doesn't go into "shock".  Does this make sense?  And sometimes, a very cold piece of meat can cook all right on the outside, but the inside may still be underdone at the same time.

Did you use a marinade or rub?
-Just curious.

And when you say "way underdone" do you mean as is visibly still raw, or with just a bit of pink in it?
-I like my pork on the pink side - as long as the internal temp is around 155-160.   The USDA recommended temps of 170-185, just simply ruin a good cut of pork.  Again, a good rest after the pork comes out of the oven is a good thing.  Just take the pork out of the oven when it's around 148-150, tent it with foil, then let it sit on the counter for about 10-15 minutes.  -You can make the gravy during that time!  The roast should come up to temperature as it sits.

Well.. that's all for now.  Hope it helps.  We'll see what DR SWW can add and aid.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2004, 06:47:01 PM »

"And David Garrison (Steve Rhodes in Married with Children) will be the Wizard."

Of course, I think of him as the David Garrison from A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD, A NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE.

...Or as the Charley in Arena Stage's production of Merrily We Roll Along in the 1989-90 season.  -WOW!  It has been that long ago!  He played opposite the Frank of Victor Garber, the Mary of Becky Ann Baker, and the Gussie of Marin Mazzie.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2004, 06:51:55 PM »

I'm eating cheddar cheese and turkey bologna right now.

Somehow it works.

Sounds good to me!

-I wasn't really hungry earlier when dinner time rolled around, so I headed to the kitchen, pulled a can of canned chicken (I had a coupon) out of the cupboard, sliced some hunks of extra sharp cheddar cheese, and took out some Ritz crackers (I'm really liking the cracked pepper variety in the Holiday Entertaining package).  Somehow it worked!

;)

-Oh, and I gently melted the cheese on the crackers in the microwave!
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2004, 06:54:34 PM »

Ruth Manning was Aunt Harriet in the Kraft Mayo commercials
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2004, 06:55:53 PM »

On the subject of death..........
Philippe de Broca  director of King of Hearts also passed away.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up