Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT TAKES MY FANCY  (Read 19319 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WHAT TAKES MY FANCY
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2008, 05:47:28 PM »

Had good rehearsals today, and a nice sandwich at the Edison Hotel coffee shop.  We visited the theater, which is VERY problematic - not enough depth.  Had I been here when they looked at it I would have chosen a different space in the same complex.  In fact, the different space is available and we tried to switch, but because we've already sold half a house worth of tix they couldn't do it.  There's risers in the back of the stage which can't be moved, so we've lost about eight feet of space.  Adam is going to have to reconfigure Turkey Lurkey Time a little to make it fit.  They also have to put in a masonite floor over the carpet (which is both sticky and slippery) that is used for the show in that space.  And, to top it all off, people can only enter and exit from ONE side.  I'm really unhappy about all of it, but we'll do the best we can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2008, 05:51:47 PM »

I got back to the hotel around five-forty and have been dealing with a non-working Internet ever since.  Unbelievable.  Even though I had my standard three bars I could not connect.  The tech came up, could do nothing, then had me call the wireless people.  They reset on their end.  Nada.  I called Apple and unfortunately got some yokel in India who was trying to get me to change things and throw folders in the trash and I was not too nice to him and kept yelling at him to get me someone in the US.  I simply refused to do what he was asking because I was afraid it would do harm.  I then finally turned off the airport and plugged in the Ethernet cord, which is what I should have done in the first place - I didn't do it because last time I did that at my house, it screwed up my settings for some reason.  But I looked at my settings and they seemed fine, except that I'm on Ethernet rather than Airport.  I'll try the Airport in the morning to see what's what.  However, to even test the bloody Ethernet connection, it made me log in for 1 day and pay - the front desk has assured me that any double charges will be removed immediately.  If I have to re-log in tomorrow night (when the one day is up), I can log in for seven days (which I've already paid for).  If the wireless is working in the morning, then I'm already logged in for my entire stay.  What a pain in the ASS.

Well... That can sort of be a normal "experience" with hotel wireless connections, so...  -You need to travel more. ;)

I'm betting that the problem may be with your Mac.  Well, rather the fact that you have a Mac - and the hotel's system is PC-based.  Yes, the wireless/WiFi connection should be "transparent" and cross-platform, but there are some known issues.  I know that the wireless set-up down at Chelsea studios sometimes has "issues" with Macs or vice versa.

Next time, if you have an Ethernet Cord available for connection, use that first.  -That will help "reset" your IP address and location set-up.  -And should make it "easier" for any subsequent wireless connection.

In the meantime... Breathe.

*Or just take advantage of your iPhone's 3G connection.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »

Had good rehearsals today, and a nice sandwich at the Edison Hotel coffee shop.  We visited the theater, which is VERY problematic - not enough depth.  Had I been here when they looked at it I would have chosen a different space in the same complex.  In fact, the different space is available and we tried to switch, but because we've already sold half a house worth of tix they couldn't do it.  There's risers in the back of the stage which can't be moved, so we've lost about eight feet of space.  Adam is going to have to reconfigure Turkey Lurkey Time a little to make it fit.  They also have to put in a masonite floor over the carpet (which is both sticky and slippery) that is used for the show in that space.  And, to top it all off, people can only enter and exit from ONE side.  I'm really unhappy about all of it, but we'll do the best we can do.

OH!  You're in that theatre/space.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2008, 06:23:18 PM »

Condolences to Jayson and DR Singdaw.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2008, 07:08:45 PM »

I am currently fast forwarding thru the DANCING WITH THE STARS finale. The first hour was extremely boring (except for the roast). All just past dancers doing past routines (not even the top 3).

And since i already know who won it's sort of boring!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2008, 07:11:06 PM »

Hmm....  So, since I wasn't watching the reunion show for "The Real Housewives of Atlanta", I had the TV tuned to ABC to watch the finale of "Dancing with the Stars"...  My favorite quotes so far:

"And congratulations, I hear Lance is the father.  -Maybe the baby will come out of the womb and the closet on the same day... Oh, come on, folks... What can you really say about Lance Bass that hasn't already been said about Clay Aiken?"

;D

*And they're all being good sports about the comedic digs.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »

Condolences to DR Singdaw and hubby.

Jennifer

« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2008, 07:14:04 PM »

DR Jose i thought the roast was the only decent part of the show so far!

MBarnum

« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2008, 07:16:10 PM »

It is not nice to yell at Indians.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2008, 07:16:14 PM »

Yep.  I guess ABC cancelled too many shows - or just wanted to take as many time slots tonight as possible.  The results show should only have been 30 minutes.  Well, just 10, but... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »

I am eating scrambled eggs with spinach.

Desert will be a delicious chocolate brownie.

MBarnum

« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2008, 07:17:11 PM »

Latha Radakrishan is now my new diabetes doctor. I see her soon.

Jennifer

« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2008, 07:19:37 PM »

Okay so tonight i went to see TWILIGHT the movie.  I went in trying not to pre-judge it too much
and knowing that i would probably feel a lot of the casting was off.

I think the movie was decent. Although the book is much much better. I'm thinking that most of the people that raved about it were the under 16 crowd.

I actually thought that Kristen Stewart was quite well cast as Bella. I think she was the best cast of the group. I also thought laurent/james/victoria were very well cast.

I did not like Carlisle. But i was okay with esme, emmitt, rosalie and jasper. Alice (one of my fav characters in the book) was just not how i pictured her at all.

I really wish that they would let the original author work on the screenplay for the movie. And since i've read all the books i can't really remember where Twilight the book ends. But there were scenes added. And a lot left out.  And a lot rearranged.

I am not sure how much i like the guy who played edward. To me his look was all wrong. But he sort of grew on me.

I think the movie was good. But it had the potential to be great, which is sort of sad.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:22:11 PM by Jennifer »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »

Latha Radakrishan is now my new diabetes doctor. I see her soon.

"her"?  Oh, sorry about that.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »

Yep.  I guess ABC cancelled too many shows - or just wanted to take as many time slots tonight as possible.  The results show should only have been 30 minutes.  Well, just 10, but... ;)

They could have filled the 2 hours. But i hate seeing the bad ones dance again, Especially doing dances that most of them were not very good at anyways.

If you want to save some time just go to dialidol, who wins is already decided.

I actually do want to see their final dances though. Hopefully that will be interesting.

Jennifer

« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »

Oh and i don't think anyone much here watches the Hills. But wow this week's episode was good!

And apparently Speidi got hitched last week (eloped). Heidi's sis was live on the After Show and she not only wasn't told, but when she realized it had happened last week (and she only found out on monday) she had tears in her eyes! Poor holly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »

I am still getting over my annoyance at having wasted three precious hours dealing with the stupidity of the Internet situation.  I went out to a nearby PAX deli and got a bad ham sandwich and a little Asian slaw, which wasn't much better - but the whole calorie counts was about six hundred calories, so that's not bad.  I probably ate a total of about 1600 calories today, but if the machine is to be believed, I ran off 750 of them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2008, 07:25:54 PM »

Oh and i don't think anyone much here watches the Hills. But wow this week's episode was good!

And apparently Speidi got hitched last week (eloped). Heidi's sis was live on the After Show and she not only wasn't told, but when she realized it had happened last week (and she only found out on monday) she had tears in her eyes! Poor holly.

...And it looks like they were paid to get married... Since the wedding photos were all ready for publication in this week's "Us Weekly".  Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2008, 07:37:06 PM »

The boy stood on the burning deck
Whence all but he had fled;
The flame that lit the battle's wreck
Shone round him o'er the dead.

Yet beautiful and bright he stood,
As born to rule the storm;
A creature of heroic blood,
A proud, though childlike form.

The flames roll'd on...he would not go
Without his father's word;
That father, faint in death below,
His voice no longer heard.

He call'd aloud..."Say, father, say
If yet my task is done!"
He knew not that the chieftain lay
Unconscious of his son.

"Speak, father!" once again he cried
"If I may yet be gone!"
And but the booming shots replied,
And fast the flames roll'd on.

Upon his brow he felt their breath,
And in his waving hair,
And looked from that lone post of death,
In still yet brave despair;

And shouted but one more aloud,
"My father, must I stay?"
While o'er him fast, through sail and shroud
The wreathing fires made way,

They wrapt the ship in splendour wild,
They caught the flag on high,
And stream'd above the gallant child,
Like banners in the sky.

There came a burst of thunder sound...
The boy-oh! where was he?
Ask of the winds that far around
With fragments strewed the sea.

With mast, and helm, and pennon fair,
That well had borne their part;
But the noblest thing which perished there
Was that young faithful heart.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »

Or, if you prefer...............

The boy stood on the burning deck,
The flames 'round him did roar;
He found a bar of Ivory Soap
And washed himself ashore.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2008, 07:38:50 PM »

Or, my personal favorite..........

The boy stood on the burning deck
Eating peanuts by the peck;
His father called, he would not go
Because he loved those peanuts so.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2008, 07:40:44 PM »

...And it looks like they were paid to get married... Since the wedding photos were all ready for publication in this week's "Us Weekly".  Hmmm...

Well i think they got paid for the photos. But i wonder if they really are married. Or how far in advance this was planned. I am sort of surprised that heidi would not tell her mom or sis.

And i wonder if this whole wedding was filmed for the show.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2008, 07:46:18 PM »

Oh, the first poem was, of course, CASABINANCA.

The second and third have no name that I am aware of, but I believe the last one came from Rocky and Bulwinkle.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:55 PM »

And of course it's shocking that two references to Scotty Beckett in the book are accompanied by photographs of Dickie Moore....this from the "experts!"

I went to school with his brother, Dinty.
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »

Just watched LAW & ORDER: SVU, and all I can say is "Wow!"  Impressive episode from start to finish. 
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Laura

« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2008, 08:39:56 PM »

Well, it only took 11 hours to run off the newsletters.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2008, 08:40:21 PM »

EUROPA has one of the most extensive bonus sections I've ever had to maneuver. The featurettes were too long and featured too many film clips repeated ad infinitum.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Laura

« Reply #237 on: November 25, 2008, 08:40:42 PM »

Singdaw, I am sorry to hear about Jayson's aunt. But, golly -- 86 years of good health! I hope I am that lucky!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »

I did manage to watch two TV shows tonight. I began with NCIS which wrapped up their "mole" story arc that's been off and on since the beginning of the season. I found it very satisfying.

Matt H.

« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2008, 08:52:33 PM »

FRINGE had a magnificently creepy opening sequence. Some of the rest of the show was a slog, but I still ended up enjoying it overall, and the conspiracy storyline did move forward somewhat.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up