Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING  (Read 20722 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2003, 12:04:06 PM »

[Oh so true, DRPANNI - it's like driving on air - because you ARE!  But you have to wear white gloves and hat when you drive in your Edsel]

...which would not be possible, DRJrand53, because in my previous post I removed my hat to honor bk's wit and it (the hat, not the wit) blew away and was trampled on by a bunch of disgruntled pipers who'd just lost their Christmas gig chez Kimmel and were on their way to the Musicians' Union to file a grievance..
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 12:45:07 PM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2003, 12:04:20 PM »

LOL DRMaya - I am sure Jayne would agree with you.

LOL DRPanni - well keep your white gloves because you also have to wear them when you use the riding mower out there in Southern California!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 12:05:29 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2003, 12:06:23 PM »

My questions for BK today (not holiday related):

You have so many recordings and movies.  Do you keep track of them all in a list of some sort?  And have you ever started to look for something that you absolute know that you have, but can't find it at all?  Do you lose (or misplace) things very often?  What do you do?  Keep looking until you find it because YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you own it or do you just give up in frustration?

I have a list of my musicals and a couple of titles are missing. :'( I've looked everywhere that I think that I could have stashed them, but so far, no luck.  I hate it when that happens.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2003, 12:10:35 PM »

DRGeorge -that is the worst!!!  I don't know about Mr BK, but I usually give up and then later on when I am looking for something else, I find what I was previously looking for.

I think it is also possible to look for something so hard, that you overlook it!

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2003, 12:28:57 PM »

Hey my Wicked cd arrived today. So I am happy. We have no mail here tomorrow, fri, sat, and sunday, so I knew it was today or wait till monday.

The regular mailman came early but no cd. But sometimes for packages they send a special truck. And he came. I saw him pull up and ran to the door and he through me the cd. Yep, he threw it to me. And I actually caught it :)

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2003, 12:30:51 PM »

I don't celebrate Christmas per se. But I have a lot of family and friends who do, so I sort of end up doing a lot of Christmasy stuff. For instance my aunt always hosts a Christmas Eve dinner. And we always go and decorate the tree.

But Christmas day is often for movies, since it's one of the only things to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2003, 12:36:27 PM »

Haven't been commenting on the WICKED cast album, but I guess it goes without saying that I was impressed with the singers. They are stupendous. I think I see what some of the carping critics have said about the music, but like so many recent scores, the more you listen to it, the better you like it. These are not Tin Pan Alley numbers (though there's nothing wrong with Tin Pan Alley).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2003, 12:39:58 PM »

Let me throw the question out to DRs about SOMETHING'S AFOOT. Is there a cast recording or studio recording of it, possibly a British studio recording? If not, there is a definite need for one. No, the score is no SWEENEY TODD, but for a light, fun mystery whodunit, I like it much better than BAKER STREET's score, and if something like ZANNA DON'T has a cast recording, SOMETHING'S AFOOT deserves SOMETHING!

Also, correct if I'm wrong, but was there a made-for-cable version of the show a couple of decades ago with someone like Tessie O'Shea as the Miss Marple-like character (the one who sings, "I Owe It All to Agatha Christie")?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2003, 12:52:41 PM »

This will not do.  No, this will absolutely not do at all.  Less than 70 posts by 4:00 p.m. EST.  We must post!  We must post till the cows come home, except in Washington where the cows have Mad Cow Disease.  Of course, I would be Mad too, if my only source of amusement was getting milked twice a day by some old geezer with cold hands.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 12:53:24 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2003, 12:55:47 PM »

Sorry, that last post of mine was udderly ridiculous!
“One thing’s universal,

Jason

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2003, 01:06:05 PM »

Greetings from Louisville! I hope you are all having wonderful holidays so far. I, myself, slept until noon and awoke to find a plethora of gifts to wrap, including the ones that I had brought with me for the family. For all my worries about my parents and my dad being out of work, you'd never know it from the ridiculous spread under the tree. As usual, they went way overboard and, even though I don't know exactly what are IN the boxes, from the sheer number of them, I know they spent a fortune on me and my brother--and on each other, as well. An example: PART of my brother's Christmas stash includes four brand new tires for his car and a new car battery. That's just PART of it! I don't know whether I should be relieved that know that my parents are actually doing well enough to afford those things or if I should be worried that they're spending beyond their means. I know the holidays aren't about the gifts, but it makes me feel incredibly loved to know that they are willing to make a few sacrifices here and there so that they can afford to give us nice things. THAT'S what it's about, I suppose...the love. And we're all about the love here at HHW.com, too, aren't we? Yes, we are.

Presently, more love is being cooked up in the kitchen upstairs. I smell the wonderful aroma of green beans (home grown and canned), broccoli casserole, homemade creamed corn and frying chicken. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME! :D

We'll have our chicken dinner tonight--my parents, my brother and myself-- and exchange our gifts from one another and tomorrow, assuming my brother is feeling well enough, we shall all trek out to Lexington to my mom's parents' home, where we will exchange more gifts. My dad's parents were supposed to sup with us tonight, but because of their age and my brother's flu, we thought it best to postpone our dinner with them until he's not even remotely able to get them sick. My grandfather, who is 85 years old, did stop by today (yes, he still drives!) and dropped off some homemade fudge, cookies and peanut rolls (which are my dad's very favorite thing in the world, so my grandfather makes them for him every year). He's truly just about one of the sweetest men you'd ever hope to meet in your life and we're very lucky to still have him with us. In fact, I'm lucky enough to still have all four of my grandparents, and for the first time in 27 years, I am able to give THEM a gift for Christmas, so that excites me.

TOMOVOZ: The state bird of Kentucky is the red cardinal, but we do have lovely bluebirds here, as well. I hope you're having a lovely holiday down under. :)

MBARNUM: I agree about Whoopi's show...bleh! And King of Queens is a hoot!

BK: I hope you have a wonderful party tonight. I wish I could be here to enjoy with you and your guests...unfortunately (well, FORTUNATELY), I'll be opening gifts and eating chicken tonight. :P

To all my friends and loved ones here at HHW: I wish you all the happiest holiday possible. You're an amazing group of people and the best is all you deserve, so...MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HANNUKAH, HAPPY KWANZAA! I'll speak to you all soon...

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2003, 01:06:11 PM »

DR Matt H: I checked out Something's Afoot on the IBDB and noted that the cast included not only Tessie O'Shea, but also Liz (Helen Seinfeld) Sheridan and Gary (Roger de Bris) Beach. Lu Leonard was a standby. The name rang a bell, and the IBDB told me she was in five musicals that, together, ran for about eleven months. I think I should get back to work.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2003, 01:07:35 PM »

LOL, DR TCB you are hilarious! Thanks for some great humor in the late afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2003, 01:11:49 PM »

Thank you, DR Dan.

I agree that WHOOPI isn't everything it could be, there have been some hilarious moments in the series, and the one where President Bush drops by to use the toilet was very funny despite the preachiness (and I don't mind that as long as they can be funny, too. With WHOOPI, sometimes yes and sometimes no.) I still think the most unheralded comedy on TV is LESS THAN PERFECT. I just love those characters.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2003, 01:35:17 PM »

DR Matt,

I only watch Whoopi because Gord enjoys it so much. (He watches Alias for my benefit.) He also tries never to miss Less Than Perfect, though I've only seen parts of it. I think the only current shows where he and I are in sync are Monk, and Without a Trace.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2003, 01:37:22 PM »

DRMATTH when we did a production of SOMETHING'S AFOOT in 2000 I searched in vain for a cast recording.  At that time nothing was available.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2003, 01:38:08 PM »

MR BK must be busily arranging Chez Kimmel for the soiree'!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2003, 01:38:20 PM »

Maya: The number of takes, of course, varies from singer to singer.  I'll normally do at least two on everyone, because I like to hear what they're doing without direction on the first take.  Then we listen, analyze, chat about it, and then if need be do as many as we need.  Sometimes we get lucky - Kristin Chenoweth got Lion Tamer in one take - I just told her "go home, it's perfect".  We played it back, she agreed and voila.  Sometimes I'll do as many as seven or eight takes to get what I need, then I edit the best bits from each take.  I'd begun doing a whole pre-mix day of nothing but comping vocals.  Listen to each take, use the best lines from each and make a seamless whole out of them.  I've been known to use one syllable from one take and the second syllable from another.  It's all about getting the most honest real-seeming performance, whether it's one full take or a comped bunch of takes.  If the comping is done correctly know one will ever have any idea how many takes are used.  If it's not done correctly (listen to the Bernadette Peters' CD of Gypsy) then it's obvious and bad.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2003, 01:39:20 PM »

I actually managed to get out of work by eleven-thirty or so, ran some errands and am now home cooking merrily away.  We must have lots of festive and jolly posts to keep the haineshisway.com holiday spirit alive.

Michael

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2003, 01:49:39 PM »

Let me throw the question out to DRs about SOMETHING'S AFOOT. Is there a cast recording or studio recording of it, possibly a British studio recording? If not, there is a definite need for one. No, the score is no SWEENEY TODD, but for a light, fun mystery whodunit, I like it much better than BAKER STREET's score, and if something like ZANNA DON'T has a cast recording, SOMETHING'S AFOOT deserves SOMETHING!

Also, correct if I'm wrong, but was there a made-for-cable version of the show a couple of decades ago with someone like Tessie O'Shea as the Miss Marple-like character (the one who sings, "I Owe It All to Agatha Christie")?

It was Jean Stapleton and Andy Gibb as the stars. All the rest were Canadians
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2003, 01:53:00 PM »

Lorne Greene Star OR Canadian?

td

• td
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2003, 02:09:41 PM »

I'm not wearing underwear today.

Neither am I.  Commando rocks HainesHisWay today.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2003, 02:18:01 PM »

All of my gifts are wrapped and in bags waiting for trips later this evening or tomorrow to their destinations.

What is the BEST gift YOU are giving this year?

(Besides of course yourself, love, peace in the world, and your good health).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2003, 02:19:59 PM »

Much garlic cooking - yummilicious smell.  But it won't be good unless I have more hot posts to read.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2003, 02:28:22 PM »

Well, since it doesn't appear that we will be having a rash of new posts anytime in the near future, let me take this moment to wish each and every one of you the very best of the holiday season.  Regardless of whether you celebrate Chanukah, Christmas, Rhamadon, or Kwanza; may the joy of that celebration stay with you throughout the year to come.  The men, women, and yes even the children, at Haines His Way, have become a family to me during the last six months.  Certainly there have been disagreements along the way, but those types of arguments exist within every family.  The important thing is that we allow each other the right to their own opinion (even when you are wrong and I am right) and we learn something because of those differences.  Thank you dear Mr. Kimmel for providing us with a gathering spot for fun, friendship, comfort, companionship, encouragement, and lively discussion.  Happy Holidays, one and all!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 02:29:37 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2003, 02:33:57 PM »

For MR BK - here is a hot POST....

Miss Leslie Parrish!!!!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2003, 02:36:54 PM »

Jrand--I think the nicest present I've bought for anyone this Christmas is for my mom.  I found her this beautiful scarf with crushed velvet floral patterns in dark blues and reds.  I hope she will love it.

BK--thanks!  It doesn't surprise me it took Kristin only one take for Lion Tamer!  What a simple, lovely performance!

Only a few hours til we open presents, hehe!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2003, 02:50:52 PM »

We MUST have a rash of new posts, otherwise we'll have a rash, and we can't have THAT.  Maya and everyone else, we MUST know what presents you receive.  I love this jernt.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2003, 02:51:02 PM »

Good afternoon!

WHEW!  Well, we made it back from our shopping expedition in one piece.  And, actually - and surprisingly - the stores were not mobbed at all - at least the ones we went to.  No major traffic, no major lines.  The longest line we hit was at Sam's Club - which always has a line, so, it was nothing out of the ordinary there.  We headed out to the new mall out in the West End of town, and just worked our way back east.

The mall was fun, and a lot of stores were already putting up their post-Christmas sales signs... and some were even starting their post-Christmas sales!  So... Even though I was in "helper" mode today, I did manage to get some shopping done for myself.  *For any Williams-Sonoma fans, the post-Christmas deals are wonderful - especially on their prepared foods (fudge!)!  I even managed to pick up a nice brooch for my mom at Hecht's - sshh, don't tell her!  *My brothers and I have sort of given up giving gifts to our parents the past few years - my mom usually "protests" and tells us that we should spend our money on the grandkids, so...  But we usually end up picking up something small for them.  Just doesn't feel right not getting them anything - even if they "say" not to give them anything.

-And while we were at Sam's Club, I got to pick up my Christmas present from Steve!  A personal percussion massager.  With the way my shoulder has been acting up, I'll be putting it to good use.

After hitting a few more stores, we eventually got some lunch at this funky place in Carytown called The Eatery.  Great subs and cheesesteaks, as well as fried chicken, pizza and Chinese Food.  Very cheap too - and big portions!  We wrapped up our day of shopping at the chocolate store and then the grocery store - love those self-checkout lines!  So...

Now I'm back at my apartment doing some decompressing and resting my feet.  I'm actually a bit store weary, but it was fun.  I'll probably be heading out later for dinner with Steve and some other friends.. We'll see.  Yes, I know it's Christmas Eve, but it's also a day off for me too.  Maybe I'll make a dent in my pile of DVDs... Or I could just take a nap... too.

So, until later..

Oh, another question for BK:

How many people were/are invited to you Christmas Eve soiree?

**Oh, I also got a Christmas card in the mail today... from the cab driver in Orlando who found my cell phone!  -I guess I did give him my card!  A very nice surprise, indeed.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2003, 02:52:10 PM »

DR MattH:  We drove through Clinton a week ago when we went to Spartanburg to visit a cousin.  Drove right past Presbyterian College, too!

We are going to my cousin Debra's house tonight -- my Uncle Rock is barbecuing chicken and ribs.  It's an annual thing at her house with her immediate family, my aunt and uncle (her parents) and my mother and me.  Tomorrow, the whole family will gather at my aunt's and uncle's for dinner (this is the first time in nearly 8 years the get-together won't be at my mother's house -- we are digging it!!).

The day has been warmish, but the temperature is dropping as I type.  I have been holding off "something" all week -- sore throat, sniffles, sneezing, all have played a part in my bodily functions, but nothing has overwhelmed me yet.  Keeping my toes crossed!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up