Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LEAPING PHRASE  (Read 21096 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE LEAPING PHRASE
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2004, 04:22:59 PM »

Well, that was revealing. I was born and raised in Philadelphia; attended college in the south, then spent 6 years in Virgina, 2 years in New England (RI and ME), and the rest of my years in southern CA.

As I read the questions I could almost have answered each one two ways - the phrase I learned, and the more formal phrase I'll often use today.

Actually, the Philly background provided even more archaic phrase than some offered, like: Ice Chest, Ash Bucket, Cupboard (for a closet).

der Brucer (what no Pretty Sticker atop the page for getting all the answers right!)

That is funny.  I had the same problem having moved around the country after leaving L.A.  My son called while I was answering the questions.  We were discussing how I should answer as a Californian.   He said it was in Michigan that we said pop vs. soda or soft drink.  As for Pennsylvania (at least where we lived), they definitely have an interesting way of pronouncing words.

Jane

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2004, 04:25:27 PM »

Jane, are you still on? I was at Auntie Eleanor's on Sturday, to take a keepsake. I took the wedding silver, marked with an "L" for you and Keith.

Penny that is so nice.  I'm touched & will treasure it.  I will tell Keith.  For everyone else reading Aunt Eleanor was Keith's aunt who was best friends with Penny's mother.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2004, 04:33:10 PM »

Hiya, Jane. For myself, I took a tiny porcelain box with "Eleanor" in gold on the lid.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2004, 04:33:56 PM »

And I saw pix in the paper this morning - hated Nicold's dress. Ugh. Where can I get one like it?
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2004, 04:36:12 PM »

So I guess Bruce has gotten through the galleys and sent the manuscript back for publishing. Wow. Three books in three years. He's so prolific. And has an actual LIFE, besides. A better man than I...
PennyO

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2004, 04:40:08 PM »

Yes, I did see Anthony Paglia's wife and second the hubba-hubba!

Well, I do have the tux, but not the desire or the conections to attend Award Shows.  I've been to the Writers Guild Awards when I was a member of the board of directors.  The first year Jon Voight sat right next to us and was giving us his number after about fifteen minutes.  My wife's charm, surely not mine.  The second two years were not nearly as exciting...and, if you're not up for anything, the thrill palls.  I'd much rather attend the British Stuntman's Ball which is everso much more fun... and which I've done a couple of times.  I also was invited to the Women In Film Luncheon once.  Sat next to Drew Barrymore.  Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep, anda few other notables were in the general vicinty.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2004, 05:02:11 PM »

The Golden Globe voters ain't a brain trust.  They're just the foreign journalists who got the not-so-plum assignment of the Hollywood beat.  I say not-so-plum because foreign countries don't have the same mania for movie news that we do in the USA.  For all we know, those 90 voters include the cultural editor in some not-widely circulated rag in Trinidad or Chad.
Even a cursory glance over the link der Brucer provided earlier shows that the membership of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is composed of reporters (if oft'times part-time) from nations that have their own film industries.  Twelve come from Germany, six represent Great Britain, and France has seven.  I don’t think there is a country represented by their membership that hasn’t at least once been nominated for Best Foreign Film by AMPAS.

The foreign audience is a major source of income for the American film industry.  Even as far back as WWII, the loss of that income almost bankrupted Disney.  It is even more valuable today, with films such as Titanic leading the box office in countries such as Japan (only topped by Spirited Away within that film’s own country of origin).  And the market for pirated DVDs is far more volatile internationally than it is in the USA, in spite of the AMPAS attempts to prove they’re “doing something about the problem” by trying to ban screeners locally.

Even in the small, underdeveloped nations, the film industry has an impact, if only in an ancillary way.  There are many countries that supplement their income through the sale of postage stamps, and the inclusion of Hollywood icons and stars in the imagery on those stamps.  These countries certainly aren’t selling all of their stamps within their own borders.

As for the HFPA, they also add to the economies of the countries the journalists represent.  Take, for example, the number of celebrities that do not endorse products here in the USA, but receive large fees for their doing the exact same thing in other nations.  If the income received by the firms hiring the celebrities was not magnitudes larger than the cost of hiring the celebrities, they would not keep up this practice.  This doesn't even begin to account for the licencing of the films and products internationally, and how these boost the local economies.  Keeping the celebrities, and the films they appear in, in the spotlight in the international press is the job of the HFPA membership.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2004, 05:05:01 PM »

Yes, I did see Anthony Paglia's wife and second the hubba-hubba!

I see that Mr. Pogue is indeed a man of good taste.  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2004, 05:12:46 PM »

Penny that is so nice.  I'm touched & will treasure it.  I will tell Keith.  For everyone else reading Aunt Eleanor was Keith's aunt who was best friends with Penny's mother.

WAS his aunt?  She's not anymore?  :-\
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 05:14:11 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2004, 05:21:29 PM »

DR EMILY the ugly dress site was.....well...horrifying!  I think I have seen most of those dresses on my friends and relatives over the years!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2004, 05:21:50 PM »

My big script notes meeting - for which I have been waiting for two months - and which was supposed to take place tomorrow morning at 11 - has just been postponed for a week.
Hit it Ethel:
There's no business like show business...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 05:25:20 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2004, 05:25:13 PM »

DR EMILY the ugly dress site was.....well...horrifying!  I think I have seen most of those dresses on my friends and relatives over the years!
Male or female?

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2004, 05:26:12 PM »

My big script notes meeting - for which I have been waiting for two months - and which was supposed to take place tomorrow morning at 11 - has just been postponed for a week.
Hit it Ethel:
In it's own screwy way, that's great news!  I hope your throat is feeling better.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2004, 05:27:37 PM »

LOL SWW, I will never tell!

Oh Emily - I just took your survey as well!

Panni

« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2004, 05:28:15 PM »

15 more posts and I become a Goddess!  Meanwhile, still earthbound, I must take the wonderdog for a walk.

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2004, 05:28:45 PM »

Were they female relatives and friends Jack? Just curious and non judgemental. ;)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2004, 05:30:37 PM »

Well, that just means that now you have plenty of time to get healthy, Panni!

And, yes, another vote in approval of Mrs. LaPaglia. :)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2004, 05:33:05 PM »

Seems some of us think along the same lines here. Hope you are impressed Jack. The first time I have used a "smiley" at HHW. Your surprise was posted today.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2004, 05:39:27 PM »

Thanks TomovOZ....yes I have found that many of us are of the same mind here at HHW.  
I shall look forward to my surprise and hopefully your book will arrive sometime before ...  well before February.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2004, 05:44:11 PM »

In about ten little posts we shall pass the 23,000 mark

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2004, 05:49:19 PM »

I think Mr La Paglia married actress Gia Carrides.
Recommendation for fans of Mr La Paglia - Oz movies "Looking For Alabrandi" and "The Bank". "Lantana" did very well her but I thought it was somewhatt "stagey".
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 05:59:25 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2004, 05:50:57 PM »

Renee Zellweger was in one of the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE sequels. You never know what these folks have to do to break into the business.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2004, 05:55:15 PM »

Yes George. :(

Panni considering how you sound maybe it is a good thing your meeting was postponed. I hope you are beginning to feel better.  As I continue to scroll down the posts I see I’m not the only one with this opinion.

Bruce you didn’t comment on my story.  I guess you don’t remember. :o

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2004, 05:55:37 PM »

I don't know about the others, but I don't have a gown tacky enough.

I could have lent you mine!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2004, 05:59:14 PM »

Evening all!

Happy Birthday, Music Guy!

This will be short and sweet, I'm soo very tired  but wanted to say,
I didn't watch the Award show.  I think they are such a waste.  The people I want to win rarely do so I rarely watch them.

They are starting a Toastmasters club at work.  I'm thinking of joining.  It would be good for me to have some practice getting up in front of a group of people and having to speak.  

Have a good evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2004, 06:00:23 PM »

I wish I had not looked at the ugly dresses.  That pregnant prom dress might give me nightmares.

Good night Danise.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2004, 06:05:41 PM »

The Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. makes a hefty donation each year to the Los Angeles Conservancy in support of its "Last Remaining Seats" series.  Think of the GGs what you will, I call that a nice and meaningful bit of philanthropy.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Andrea

« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2004, 06:10:49 PM »

PS - hey, everyone, I have the tackiest evening gowns in the world. For the longest time, my entire wardrobe consisted of jeans, sweats, and evening gowns... but nobody ever asked me to go to an awards show in them.

Mine still does contain all that. I should post pictures of the pink fushia one I wore last year-- I still maintian that it was a beautiful dress!

BTW, anyone have a good link for good pictures of the dresses last night?

Panni

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2004, 06:11:53 PM »

In it's own screwy way, that's great news!  I hope your throat is feeling better.
Thank you, SWW. The funny thing is that I went to a doctor this afternoon to make sure that I'd be okay for the morning meeting. Normally, I would've just waited out the course of the cold. Oh well...

One of the most aggravating things about these long delays - aside from losing the "fire" that you had going in your writing - is that you don't get paid until your draft is turned in. Thus, there can be a three month (or more) wait between paydays.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 06:12:49 PM by Panni »

Michael

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2004, 06:14:36 PM »

Hit it Ethel:

At least you'll be fully recovered by then.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Let's Go On With the Show
[/color][/move]
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up