Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED  (Read 22924 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED
« on: July 02, 2004, 12:00:26 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been bewitched by the notes, you've been bothered by the notes, and presumably you've been bewildered by the notes, so now it is time to post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 12:01:29 AM by bk »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 12:07:23 AM »

I see that The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times have run fairly nasty pans of De-Lovely.  Inasmuch the film has opened rather narrow (selected cities, and only two theatres here in Los Angeles), I suspect this bomb picture will come and go rather quickly.

To honor Mr. Cole Porter and his legacy, I have a Cole Porter festival going on in my CD player:

Capitol Sings Cole Porter
A two-disc anthology of Mr. Porter's music from Verve
Miss Ella Fitzgerald's two-disc take on the Cole Porter songbook (Divine!)
The original Broadway cast recording of Kiss Me Kate
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 12:22:05 AM »

Welcome fifteen GUESTS!  We're talkin' about CDs and DVDs.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 12:28:54 AM »

I, too, have been listening to Cole Porter, as interpreted by the lovely Ms. Rebecca Luker.  I have loaned the cd containing the lovely Ms. Rebecca Luker's interpretations of Cole Porter's music to a pal at work.

If he doesn't care for Mr. Porter, or Ms. Luker, I will know that something is wrong with him.

I need to dig out more works by Mr. Porter that might be in our collection.

I know that der Brucer has been listening to The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, because he has left the OCR and the Revival CR cds next to the cd player.  (Thankfully, he has not been listening to the Soundtrack cd, which is dreadful.)  However, he has not said one word about which cd he prefers.  Perhaps he is planning on a comparison between the two, in a Track by Track form.

Or not.

I have tomorrow (which is today) off, but will be working through the weekend.  Hopefully we'll be having a wonderful time selling kitchen equipment left and right, and even middle.  There is something very enjoyable about coming home tired for all the right reasons.

(Edited for spelling.  What the #### is a "soundtrace?")
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 12:31:16 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 12:34:39 AM »

I just noticed something interesting.

When I first typed out my edit note, on the post above, I typed in the word $&#*.  There was something about that word, $&#*, that looked quite obscene, which is absolutely preposterous, because $&#* is merely a collection of symbols, and does not spell out an actual word.

However, when I corrected it to ####, it looked nothing like an obscenity at all.  It's still a collection of symbols, but does not look obscene the way $&#* does.

How bizarre!

(Edited for verb tense, which was incorrect, #### it!)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 12:36:29 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 01:10:30 AM »

Ta-da!  Yes the robot's first appearance in TARGET EARTH is pretty darn scary...although I was able to keep my thongs on!  8)

Thanks DRJay....I couldn't think of glockenspiel for nuttin'!  ;D

And thanks for the 110 in The Shade info.  THE RAINMAKER is one of my favorite plays and movies, and I have never seen the musical, only listened to the cast album!

In my DVD - TARGET EARTH
In my CD - new LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS cast
In my VCR - THUNDER ALLEY with Annette & Fabian

Dress rehearsal is tonight....and I am ready....hopefully our BRIDE who decided she didn't need to rehearse tonight....knows that she only has a few pages to get lovely and add a hoop and two crinolines under her bridal gown (it was easier to make it fuller than to hem it....)  Time will tell....  ::)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 01:14:56 AM »

Today's DVD "Chess" The Swedish theatre production
(I know DR George likes this one too). Colin has watched it so many times.

CD: Soundtrack of "The Legend Of 1900" - (A Fable by Giuseppe Tornatore). This is one of our favourite movies. It should have been far more successful IMHO. Maybe DR Jose is a fan as I know he is fond of "Cinema Paradiso". The score for the movie is mostly by Mr Morricone.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 02:19:28 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 04:23:41 AM »

On Yesterday notes BK mentioned Barbie Benton. I always wondered what Ken's last name was.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 04:26:43 AM »

With all tjhat mention of 110 in the Shade I think I will listen to it this weekend. I have the Broadway Cast, The Jay 2 Disc Studio recording, and of course all the dropped material on the Lost in Boston series.  There could have been a volume with LIB with songs from 110ITS.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 04:29:28 AM »

Did you know that 110 in the Shade is one of two musicals where the female lead is renamed Melisande by the male lead? As I write this I am trying to remember the name of other musical. I was listening to that musical and realized the similarity in this plot point.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 04:33:14 AM »

110 in the Shade has always been one of my favorite musicals. The only way I was able to listen to the score long after the LP went out of print was by going to the library at Lincoln Center during my visit to NYC and listening to it. I always made a point to block some time to go there and listen to the cast recordings I didn't have and were not available at that time.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 04:36:39 AM »

Today's topic title made me think of Lorenz Hart. I don't know if he ever wrote with anyone other than Richard Rodgers, but he was my favorite RR lyricist. Oscar Hammerstein II is second and the others Stephen Sondheim, Sheldon Harnick, Martin Charnin and Richard Rodgers are all somewhere tied for third.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 04:37:50 AM »

Lyrics by Mr. Lorenz Hart

He's a fool and don't I know it
But a fool can have her charms
I'm in love and don't I show it
Like a babe in arms

Men, are not a new sensation
I've done pretty well I think
But this half-pint imitation
Put me on the blink

I'm wild again, beguilded again
A simpering, whimpering child again
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - am I

Couldn't sleep, and wouldn't sleep
And ------ I do, if I shouldn't sleep

Lost my heart, but what of it?
My mistake I agree
He's a laugh, but I love it
Because the laugh's on me

A pill he is, but still he is
All mine and I'll keep him until he is
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - like me

La, da, da, da, da, di, dam
Mmmmmmm
La, da, da, da, da, da, dam
I guess the laugh's on me

I slept again, I tripped again
The way to my heart is unzipped again

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 04:42:29 AM »

Jay mentioned that Marrin Mazzie and Jason Daniely were both out last night. Maybe they didn't feel like getting out of bed. Or just bad habits with "stars" booking out whenever they feel like it. Not like the old days.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 04:44:56 AM »

Well that's it for now..............Post! Post!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2004, 05:09:31 AM »

Thank you for all the pre-bed reading material Michael.

I think there was once a BK question about other composers who wrote with Hart - too far back for the achives though.
110 Is still one of the musicals I would most love to see. I have a copy of the Tuesday Weld "Rainmaker" somewhere and the Hepburn version it on TV every year or so.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2004, 05:11:31 AM »

Hasn't Barbie's Ken been replaced with an OZ surfer with the most unlikely name of Blayne (or some such)?
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2004, 05:17:59 AM »

Thank you for all the pre-bed reading material Michael.

I think there was once a BK question about other composers who wrote with Hart - too far back for the achives though.
110 Is still one of the musicals I would most love to see. I have a copy of the Tuesday Weld "Rainmaker" somewhere and the Hepburn version it on TV every year or so.

THe Hepburn/Lancaster Rainmaker has to be one of the most frustrating movies I've ever seen.  Almost every scene builds to a fevered pitch and you want the characters to sing but the songs never come.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2004, 05:21:50 AM »

Hasn't Barbie's Ken been replaced with an OZ surfer with the most unlikely name of Blayne (or some such)?

Yep.  Here's a pic of the twosome.  He has a bad haircut.  And where did she get that dress?

What am I, Joan and Melissa Rivers all of a sudden?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 05:39:55 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2004, 05:39:20 AM »

Le check de media de moi:

CD Player (at home):  A Little Night Music (OCR)--I was just in the mood for it.

CD Player (at work):  Dave Matthews Band at The Gorge.  DMB is my favorite alt rock band in the world!

DVD Player:  Spider-Man (the first movie)

VCR:  Nothing.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2004, 05:59:28 AM »

At work I will probably be listening to the BBC on line and maybe I'll switch to Accu-Radio at some point.

We will be watching Call Me Madam over the weekend. I am heading out to the Isle of Long for the 4th of July. We will eat foodstuffs, mostly made of meat, although there will be green food products grown from the very earth in the back yard of Anthony's parents. Maybe we will see the infamous bunny rabbit who eats the strawberries. We will go to Target to look for a slipcover for our slightly bedraggled couch (the first time I ever saw that word I thought "what is bed raggled?"). We may go to the craft store, Michael's, to look for some frames for a couple of Playbills we want to hang on the wall.  We may do "some visitin' " since there are friends on the Isle who don't get into the city much and we haven't seen them in too long a time. We will go fabric shopping so Anthony can make some covers for the tray tables. He is finishing a sink skirt for the kitchen. Very nice. He can sew too! Who knew? We may go to the wonderfully stocked Middle Country Public Library, where we will peruse the DVD collectino and the CD collection for discs I don't have. I will look for a less expensive copy of the new Barbara Cook CD (I'm not paying $17.99 at Footlight and by the time I order it on-line with shipping and handling it gets to be the same price!). We will most definitely watch Jeopardy tonight to see what happens to the amazing Ken Jennings, a software engineer from Salt Lake City, UT, whose 21-cash winnings total over $700,000 (imagine the announcer's voice intoning that last phrase). I watched it last night and in the first round was sure it would be his last appearance, but, as he usually does, he pulled through in Double Jeopardy and ran away with the game. We will probably go to Stop and Shop for some other sustenance to bring into the City when we return hence on Monday afternoon, so it looks like we have a busy weekend ahead of us. Oh, yes, I forgot the most important part. Playtime with MacGregor, the real ruler of the roost out on Long Island.

My, my, my (three mys) that was a long paragraph. I must stop myself so I can get back to work and back to the BBC.

Later, gaters.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 06:02:07 AM by Ben »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2004, 06:01:34 AM »

After one whole quart of brandy,*
          Like a daisy I awake.
          With no Bromo Seltzer handy,
          I don't even shake.
          Men are not a new sensation;
          I've done pretty well, I think.
          But this half-pint imitation
          Put me on the blink.

REFRAIN 1

I'm wild again,
          Beguilded again,
          A simpering, whimpering child again-
          Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I.
          Couldn't sleep
          And wouldn't sleep
          Until I could sleep where I shouldn't sleep-
          Lost my heart, but what of it?
          My mistake, I agree.
          He's a laugh, but I love it
          Because the laugh's on me.
          A pill he is,
          But still he is
          All mine and I'll keep him until he is
          Bewitched, bothered and bewildered
          Like me.

REFRAIN 2

Seen a lot-
          I mean a lot-
          But now I'm like sweet seventeen a lot-
          I'll sing to him,
          Each spring to him,
          And worship the trousers that cling to him-
          When he talks, he is seeking
          Words to get off his chest.
          Horizontally speaking,
          He's at his very best.
          Vexed again,
          Perplexed again,
          Thank God I can't be oversexed again-

REFRAIN 3

Sweet again,
Petite again,
And on my proverbial seat again-
What am I?
Half shot am I.
To think that he loves me
So hot am I-
Though at first we said, "No, sir,"
Now we're two little dears.
You might say we are closer
Than Roebuck is to Sears.
I'm dumb again
And numb again,
A rich, ready, ripe little plum again-

ENCORE

You know,
It is really quite funny
Just how quickly he learns
How to spend all the money
That Mr. Simpson earns.
He's kept enough,
He's slept enough,
And yet where it counts
He's adept enough-

*In the published script the first four lines are:
He's a fool, and don't I know it-
But a fool can have his charms;
I'm in love and don't I show it,
Like a babe in arms.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2004, 06:16:33 AM »

As far as I know, the only lyrics Hart wrote without Rodgers were some new lyrics to Lehar's music for the Chevalier/MacDonald "Merry Widow" while R&H were under contract to MGM in the early 30s.

CDs - 2 newly released CDs of early 50s OBCs both starring Helen Galagher: MAKE A WISH (with Nanette Fabray and Harold Lang and a Hugn Martin score) and HAZEL FLAGG (with Thomas Mitchell and Beney Venuta and a Jule Styne score).  Both were originally on RCA but released on the English Sepia label with many bonus tracks.

DVD - A DVD of 3 Burns and Allen films from 1935.  These are funnier than any new comedy I have seen in years.  Gracie is wonderful but of course the writers gave her material that was tailored to her unique talents.

VHS - Nothing
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2004, 07:12:13 AM »

DR Ben, I also watched Jeopardy last night.  I think this is only the second time I've seen Ken Jennings.  And I also thought the other guy playing had a good chance to beat him (he was winning halfway thru the first round).  But alas, somehow Ken ended round two with $35K.

Ha, the only category I got all correct in was "American Idol". :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2004, 07:22:19 AM »

Today's DVD "Chess" The Swedish theatre production
(I know DR George likes this one too). Colin has watched it so many times.
Yes, I love this!  I may have to try and watch it this weekend.  I say "try" because one of my dad's sisters (she's a nun) is visiting from California and we will probably do things this weekend.  We'll see.

Anyway, in my DVD player (right now):  "Two's Company" with Elaine Stritch (from the library) and a rented movie called "The Event."  I have no idea what "The Event" is about, but it has Brent Carver in it. :) Again, I don't know when I'll be able to watch these, but I will, especially "The Event" because I paid for it.

In my VCR:  a tape of last night's "The Graham Norton Effect."  I love this show!

In my CD player:  "Alone Together," the very first solo recording by Laurel Massé, formerly of The Manhattan Transfer, FINALLY issued on CD by Miss Massé herself!  I actually paid for this about a year and a half ago!  Laurel did this pretty much all on her own and it took this long.  Let me tell you, I think it's worth it.  I love this recording!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2004, 07:48:53 AM »

Isn't it BELLS ARE RINGING where the girl gets remained Millisande?

I wish Paramount would get with it and release THE RAINMAKER on an anamorphic DVD. With the Vistavision photograpghy, it should look great. THE DESPERATE HOURS looked stunning in its Vistavision DVD transfer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2004, 07:52:20 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - THE HOLLYWOOD MUSICAL - a 3-CD boxed set of songs from 70 movies from 1929-1945. It's as close to that RCA SILVER SCREEN LP recording that I could find.

DVD - DRIVING MISS DAISY (Special Edition) and more DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, Season 3.

DVR - Wednesday night's RENO 911!

VCR - LOVELY TO LOOK AT. After watching KISS ME KATE on DVD yesterday, I wanted to see this Howard Keel-Kathryn Grayson movie again. It's been awhile.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2004, 07:55:29 AM »

Since July 4th falls on Sunday this year, is Monday going to be a federal holiday where postal workers and others get the day off?

Ben

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2004, 07:55:42 AM »

DR George, is the entire Two's Company series on DVD? We're watching it on Channel 21 here in New York and it would be nice not to be tied to remembering to tape it every Thursday.

Alone Together sounds great. I may have to order it. I love MT, Janis Siegel and Lauren Massé!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2004, 08:00:40 AM »

Good morning. I'm WAY behind, so a brief post.
CD - Carly Simon: Torch
VCR - Kurosawa's IKIRU
DVD - finally figured out (with help from this board) that it's not broken, but wired wrong(ly) - not I have to figure out how to correct that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 08:02:19 AM by Panni »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up