Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LOUNGING PYJAMAS AND A SMOKING JACKET  (Read 28340 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LOUNGING PYJAMAS AND A SMOKING JACKET
« on: July 05, 2004, 12:00:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've pondered the skirt steak conundrum and you are now ready to post excellent postings all the livelong day and night, or, in honor of It's DeLovely - Night and Day.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 12:00:16 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:LOUNGING PYJAMAS AND A SMOKING JACKET
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 12:21:59 AM »

Well, I think I detailed all my holiday weekend eats in yesterday's posts.

Love Bugs, Daffy, but also get a great kick out of Foghorn Leghorn ("that boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent.")

I love the kids from SOUTH PARK, the best satire on TV.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 12:29:43 AM »

Daffy and Bugs. Tom & Jerry. Sylvester & Tweety and Donald with the Chippendales.
For made for TV toons - South Park characters.
Quite like Roger Rabbit too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 01:23:59 AM »

I'm up again. Had a sound couple of hours' sleep. It's twue, it's twue - my DVD player is working again thanks to the ministrations of bk. Yes Virginia, there were some complications - but the end result is that I can now watch DVDs again. Hurray! Cheers! Zowie!
And it's also twue that bk - the reluctant guest - finally showed up at my landpeople's barbecue (my landlady had me phone him and she more or less ordered him to get his butt cheeks over here) - and had a good time and was a hit.
At said bbq I ate delish chicken kabobs, a tiny taste of skirt steak because bk wanted to demonstrate the newly discovered flavored ketchup ( I don't eat steak - but relented because I wanted to taste the ketchup - it was good. Steak I can still live without), various salads - my favorite was some kind of corn, avocado, onion thing - beans, more salad.  For dessert...ready?... had a bit of cookie, carrot cake, fruit salad, pound cake with berries and whipped cream, some kind of chocolate cake - and later, pretzel sticks. Whewww!!
Other questions of the day, I'll deal with during the day. I may try bed again now.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 01:34:47 AM »

Oh - and I didn't realize I was inching my way forward in the posting race. I'm the Seabsicuit of posters! (Couldn't find the picture of a racing horse, so a racing dog will have to do....)  

Panni

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 01:37:20 AM »

...I think Seawoof is running in the wrong direction. Oh well.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 04:11:44 AM »

I returned last night after a long (Thursday onward) Canada Day weekend in the country. And I just caught up with the posts. Welcome back Jane and Keith, and welcome back TCB.

There was lots of good food this weekend, which was spent with folks originally from Sri Lanka, Singapore, Pakistan and Iran. The chicken biryani was a huge hit, and went well with the garlicky Iranian rice. Also a winner was the Pavlova which, though made for Canada Day, was red (strawberries), white (whipped cream) and blue (berries). There were lots of laughing kids around, too, all well behaved. They had a great time playing cards with Archie.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 04:13:52 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 06:10:45 AM »

Good Morning!

I can't believe I'm up so early today!  -Keep in mind, anything before 10:30 is/was early for me, and I was up and getting my cereal in the kitchen at 8:30!  I'm still in Fairfax, and should probably be heading back down 95, but I think I'll be heading back to the couch shortly...  And it somehow slipped my mind that today is the end of the holilday weekend, so I'm keep my eye on the traffic reports.  I'll most likely just hang out here for the day, and make my way back once the sun goes down.  *It's also HUMID!

Fourth Foods - Hamburger, Hot Dog, Sushi (the woman who brought the sushi only brought the "cooked stuff"), Chinese Cole Slaw, Fruit Salad, Devilled Eggs (four different types - plain-no relish, plain w/relish, tarragon, and curry), Potato Chips, Coke, Diet Coke and a Beer from some microbrewery in North Carolina - very tasty.  Oh, and a spoonful of Chocolate Gelato... Shhh, no one is supposed to know that.. Shhh.... ;)  *I'll explain later.

Animated Characters - Tom & Jerry, Deputy Dog, Woody Woodpecker, Wile E. Coyote, Pepe le Pew, etc...  I still remember the local independent station in DC having a great afternoon cartoon block.  It would start with the classics, and then end with "Star Blazers".

Favorite Animated Short - Has to be the one with Woody Woodpecker and the bank robbers which was underscored and scored with Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsoy, No. 2".  After seeing and hearing that one, I just had to pick up the music to that piece and learn how to play it!  I'm still(!) learning how to play it. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 06:11:25 AM »

I returned last night after a long (Thursday onward) Canada Day weekend in the country. And I just caught up with the posts. Welcome back Jane and Keith, and welcome back TCB.

There was lots of good food this weekend, which was spent with folks originally from Sri Lanka, Singapore, Pakistan and Iran. The chicken biryani was a huge hit, and went well with the garlicky Iranian rice. Also a winner was the Pavlova which, though made for Canada Day, was red (strawberries), white (whipped cream) and blue (berries). There were lots of laughing kids around, too, all well behaved. They had a great time playing cards with Archie.

WOW!  Now that's what I call variety!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 06:22:28 AM »

Mandelbrot vs. Biscotti

Besides the obvious ethnic and country of origin differences, they are very similar.  However, the main difference comes mainly from the proportions of ingredients involved.  -The recipe that Jane posted is actually very close to my favorite biscotti recipe with one major difference.  A true(!) biscotti recipe would never have any fat other than the fat from the eggs.  Yes, there are recipes out there for biscotti that have butter in them, but they're not real biscotti recipes! ;)

In short, it's the fat!  It's the fat/oil/butter that makes the difference.  It's a texture thingy.

And then there's the fact that biscotti can actually refer to any type of Italian cookie, but that's another cookbook.  See: Marcella Hazan, Dorie Greenspan, Nick Malgieri, Alice Medrich, etc...

Now wasn't that vaguely informative?  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 06:42:30 AM »

Always informative, DR Jose.

I find that biscotti generally have to be dunked, but that's not the case for mandelbrot.

As for the variety of this weekend's company: Of the eight adults who spent Canada Day together, only two were born in Canada: Gord (London, Ontario) and his cousin from Detroit.

Cartoon characters? Woody Woodpecker is a favorite. Here's what I just learned about him.

"The birth of Woody Woodpecker was like a situation out of one of his cartoons. Walter Lantz and his wife, Grace, were on their honeymoon at Sherwood Lake in California. They kept hearing a knock, knock, knock on the roof. When Lantz went out to investigate, he discovered a woodpecker drilling holes in the shingles. This would never do. The bird continued pounding away unabated until Lantz got its attention. Then it flew away with a defiant scream.

"Back at his cartoon studio (he had been an animator since 1916, predating even Walt Disney) Lantz held a meeting with his key personnel. He told them the saga of his noisy honeymoon. Then he asked them to develop the cartoon character of a pesky woodpecker that would bedevil anyone who it came in contact with. The eventual result was Woody."

Michael

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 06:51:40 AM »

my first choice has to be the Buzzard from the Warner Bros. collection. Don;t remember the name of the character and I think he only appeared in a handful of cartoons at most.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 06:53:27 AM »

Bugs Bunny was the most versatile cartoon character there was. He could sing and dance, he wasn't a bad athlete, he liked to cross dress and had an ongoing "special" relationship with Elmer Fudd.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2004, 06:54:33 AM »

And as for the standings of how many posts certain DR readers have posted I always believed that it is the quality and not the quantity of how many posts one does
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 06:58:20 AM »

Okay I just did a google search. (my fav search enginge) and got what I was looking for right away. His name was Beaky Buzzard and here is a link to everything Beaky.

http://home.wi.rr.com/tatay/cartoons/beaky.html

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2004, 07:05:18 AM »

I detailed last night what I had to eat at the cookout I attended, so I won't repeat myself here. Suffice to say, it was delicious, and I ate far too much. The exercises this morning were NOT pleasant experiences, but they had to be done because of the quantity of food consumed at a fairly late hour (for me at least) last night. In fact, I'm determined to do another set of exercises this afternoon attempting to work off more of the overindulgences I took part in last night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2004, 07:08:05 AM »

Favorite cartoon star character is, like bk, Daffy Duck, and I think DUCK AMUCK is the best cartoon ever done. Creative, zany, surreal in the best Warner Bros. cartoon way, with a zinger of a closing surprise.

Of the minor Warner characters (I've mentioned this before here), Witch Hazel is my very favorite. Just love her, and June Foray, who can do no wrong as the female master of cartoon voices, is simply a scream.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 07:12:28 AM »

Have to disagree in a major way with DR td about Pierce Brosnan as James Bond. Apart from Sean Connery who can't be touched in the part, I think he's the best James Bond replacement they've come up with. In fact, I think they've all been rather good except Roger Moore whom I can't stand. I know he made the franchise buckets of millions playing the character, but I never believed him for an instant either as an action star or a lover. A total washout for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2004, 07:15:11 AM »

DR Panni, I've been meaning to answer your grammar question posed the other night after I logged off, and have forgotten to do it ever since. The plural possessive of the expression was the correct way to write it (apostrophe after the "s.")

I can't even remember what the expression was now after so many days away from your query, but the last way you suggested was the correct way.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 07:16:48 AM by Matt H. »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2004, 07:20:22 AM »

SWW the cookies are biscotti like.  This recipe is a bit stickier than my biscotti recipe.  I rarely bake them but now my mother-in-law has stopped making them I might have to begin again.  Her sister served them to us last time we were in LA so I had my fix.  I usually make a biscotti recipe I like very much, made with a little brandy and toasted almonds.

Panni, I bet loud noises scare you.  I was gone for so long, how is Rachel’s mono?

JRand GOOD JOB VIBES!!!

Panni

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2004, 07:25:01 AM »

Thank you , DR Matt. I think the expression was something like "several days' worth."
Off for my morning walk. It's overcast, but this being LA....

Panni

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2004, 07:29:01 AM »

Jane - thanks for asking. Rachel is still sleeping many hours a day. Feeling better, but gets tired very easily. She's basically taking it easy for the rest of the summer.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD JOB VIBES TO JRAND![/move]

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2004, 07:34:13 AM »

Thank you Dan-in-Toronto.  It’s good to be back.  And thanks for the Woody Woodpecker history.  

My favorite cartoons were TOM AND JERRY and MIGHTY MOUSE.

JoseSPiano I went and checked my favorite Biscotti recipe and it has butter.  Maybe that is why I like it so much, butter and brandy, plus it isn’t too dry.  To me, Mandlebrot is made with oil, not butter.  

Panni, I'm glad Rachel is improving.  I hope she is taking extra vitamins and iron along with the rest.  Thankfully she has the summer to take care of herself.

Panni

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2004, 07:35:52 AM »

bk....

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Danise

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2004, 07:50:34 AM »

Good morning all.

Hope you all had a very happy and safe 4th.  I'm pleased to report that Rescue Remedy worked like a charm and we spent a very peaceful evening.  No barking, no running around like a mad dog, no panic and Bear acted like nothing was going on either.   ;)

Bad news.  I am not royal yet.  The dentist called and I had to change my appointment for this Friday.  Sigh.  After I had already told everyone at work that they didn't have to treat me any different.  I've been getting bows, curtsies and the royal wave all week.  

Have to say that my favorite cartoon was the Bug Bunny Operas.  I LOVE “Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit”.  It was a tricky way to introduce young people to the art.  Now that I look back, my parents did the same thing.  I remember having albums of the story of “Sleeping Beauty”, “William Tell” and others that used classical music as the back drop to the story.  

I guess I didn’t tell you guys my big news either.  Remember how many months ago I told you I was going to be reclassed to a higher title?  Well, it FINELY came though.  As of the 28th of June I am a Senior Personal Clerk.  That’s as high a title as I can go and remain a “clerical” person.  The next rung on the ladder would be something in management.  

I’m not so sure about that but my boss says, “We’ll see.”  She’s retiring in four years and I get the impression I’m being groomed to take her place.  We’ll see, indeed.  

I must say I like the money.  Not to brag but jumping up four pay grades does make a bit of difference.  If  Chitty/Michael Ball  comes to NYC next spring, I will definitely to able to be there. I WON’T stay at the Milford Plaza either.  

Not bad for someone whose first job was working in shrimp plant, bringing home a hundred dollars a week.     

I fought with myself over the thought of getting my hair cut short (gasp!) this weekend but finely decided against it.  I will get it trimmed (hopefully MY idea of a trim) but nothing drastic.

Welcome back TCD!  I'm embarassed that I didn't realize you were gone.  I haven't been keeping up like I should.   Bad, naughty me.

What does one say to the director of a show?  Is it proper to say good luck or does  "break a leg" hold for that positon as well?  A director with a broken leg?  How does that help the show??  ???
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2004, 08:02:45 AM »

Yes, DR Panni, that's the one! Oh, the mind is a terrible thing to waste when one gets old. It REALLY bothers me that I can't seem to remember half of what I used to be able to remember so effortlessly.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2004, 08:53:42 AM »

Good morning all and good luck job vibes for JRand53!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D  ::)  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;)  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  [/move]

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2004, 08:57:12 AM »

I've always loved the classic Bugs cartoons like "What's Opera, Doc?" and "Rabbit of Seville," and I've enjoyed the little South Park that I've seen, but I don't think I will ever have a better time than my days watching Animaniacs in my school's lounge between classes. Some of the most hysterical musical spoofs of all time, the wackiest situation stuff, and the greatest list songs since Porter shuffled off the mortal coil. (In some of the less reputable piano bars in NYC, you might find me rattling off "Yakko's World," a listing of [almost] all the countries in the world, done at breakneck speed).

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2004, 08:57:58 AM »

I felt much better yesterday and so I drove up to Vancouver for a BBQ! We all lounged around the pool and I am redder then before! My face looks like a ripe tomato!

Food eaten: Hamburger, deviled eggs, absolutely delicious potatoe salad, ribs!

After stuffing ourselves and swimming till we dropped we gathered around and watched a bit of Twilight Zone marathon and some WALLACE AND GROMMIT.

A very fun day! But today I will just lounge around the home environment...although I might need to make a trip to the grocery store at some point!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2004, 09:11:23 AM »

Shayne: Of course it's quality vs. quantity, but, as I've always said, no matter if one is on the top ten list or not, all posts here at haineshisway.com are the chercest on all the Internet.  

And speaking of posts, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was the last day of a holiday weekend or something.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up