Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEVER, THESE AMERICANS  (Read 28443 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CLEVER, THESE AMERICANS
« on: July 05, 2004, 11:59:52 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're still trying to figure out where "Clever, these Americans" came from (as am I), and now you are ready to post until the clever cows come home (and don't forget those much-needed excellent vibes and xylophones).   I must say, yesterday was a GREAT posting day, both in quality and quantity - I feel fairly safe in predicting that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 12:02:10 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:CLEVER, THESE AMERICANS
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 12:06:46 AM »

As I am not an American, I don't have to say anything clever -- which takes away all the pressure. I've seen a lot of bad casting in my day (Thursday) - none of which I can think of at the moment. Perhaps later. For now, to bed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 12:08:20 AM »

And a very special haineshisway.com birthday wish to errant and truant but still loveable Andrea.

Jed

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 12:12:53 AM »

Well, it wasn't in the "oh my, what on earth were they thinking" category, just in the "hmmm, well that didn't really work" category, but the first that comes to my mind was Hayley Mills as Desiree in A Little Night Music.  I seem to remember that DR Ann was even less impressed than I was.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 12:16:36 AM »

The wonderful Caroline O'Connor was so miscast as Dulcinea in the most recent Oz version of "Man Of La Mancha" (Anthony Warlow). Imagine  Aldonza being played by Fannie Streisand Brice and you have the picture.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 12:16:56 AM »

I didn't see the show, but I heard that Bernadette Peters in Annie Get Your Gun was a big bad casting decision (shades of the Bernadette and Mandy song "So Miscast" from Forbidden Broadway).  I would have loved to see her in Gypsy, though.

I don't think it actually came from it, but the line "Clever these Americans" makes me think of the song "This Week, Americans" from Do I Hear a Waltz?"  That's the first thing that I thought of.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 12:17:54 AM »

I have to go to bed (so that I may sleep), now.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 12:18:16 AM »

Just had to share. ;D

George

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 12:18:36 AM »

Good night, all!

George

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 12:19:42 AM »

Don't get too comfortable, Jay! ;)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 03:39:37 AM »

BK -

Shakin' the Blech Away with:

vibraphones
xylophones
membranophones
idiophones
tomtoms
and
the glockenspiel

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 04:15:02 AM »

My checking shows that "Clever, These Americans" is the title of a Cornell Woolrich (writing as William Irish) short story found in his collection, "Eyes That Watch You." Does that help?

I don't think that one was adapted into a movie, but I'm looking at a Woolrich bibliography, and adapted works of his include Fall Guy, Phantom Lady, The Black Angel, I Wouldn't Be In Your Shoes, Night Has a Thousand Eyes, Rear Window, The Bride Wore Black, Mississippi Mermaid/Original Sin, and Mrs. Winterbourne.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 05:01:07 AM »

A marimba...
and maybe a celeste or a celestina (is there a difference?)
Will we ever learn what this blechy business is?

Were there cast members who departed due to the change in play?

Dearly departed, we are gathered here today...

What the hell am I talking about?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 05:04:00 AM »

BREAKING NEWS: It's John Edwards.  I'm very excited.

(not that I want to introduce a political discussion to these here pages - it's more of us "this just in" thing)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 05:09:43 AM »

We are back from the Isle of Long. Had a wonderfully relaxing time. We ate (too much), chicken, hot dogs, Italian sausages and peppers, hamburgers, coconut layer cake, watermelon, canteloupe, strawberries, potato salad, blueberry pancakes (for breakfast) and pork loin stuffed with apples. I think I mentioned everything.

We went shopping to Bed, Bath and Beyond and got a new slip cover for the couch. We went to Linens and Things and got an over the door holder for the iron (because I'm tired of keeping it on the floor in back of the door). At Target we got a beautiful chenille throw to put over the couch. We had a great barbeque on Sunday with many and sundried relatives. We watched all three episodes of Six Feet Under. We slept late. I did not walk on the treadmill, even though I said that I would. We also did not watch Call Me Madam. We will have to do that here in the city. So we did, indeed, have a busy and wonderful 4th of July weekend.

I saw Broadway: The Golden Age in mid-June and loved it. Can't wait for the DVD release with all the other material he couldn't fit into the theatrical release. It's amazing to think that possible investors could think you would be able to make a documentary about the golden age of Broadway by talking to current young performers. I love Audra McDonald and Brian Stokes-Mitchell but the "golden age of Broadway". I think not. I want to hear what they say about it in the DVD but it was much more exciting to hear from Elizabeth Ashley and Maureen Stapleton and Ben Gazzara and Gwen Verdon and those who were actually part of the time. Watching Alec Baldwin in the midst of all those people just made you realize how out of sync it would have been to use all the "young uns"

I'm seeing Frogs on Friday. Looking forward to it.

I'll have to think about wrong-headed casting. I didn't see Miss Peters in Annie Get Your Gun. I waited until Reba went in to the show and I must say, that was great casting. Fit like a glove.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 06:02:10 AM »

Worst casting I saw was Carol Lawrence as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL in stock and Glenn Close as Nellie Forbush in SOUTH PACIFIC on television (with New Orleans native Harry Connick, Jr. as mainline Philadelphian Cable).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2004, 06:16:07 AM »

Up very early, and thanks to those who've already sent vibes and xylophones - keep 'em coming strongly.

Cornell Woolrich was, in fact, one of the most adapted authors in the history of films.  Also adapted from his work Waltz into Darkness were two films - No Man of Her Own with Barbara Stanwyck, and While I Was Sleeping (I think that's the one - the one with Sandra Bullock, or WAS it Mrs. Winterbourne, maybe I'm confusing them).  The Chase with Robert Cummings was from The Black Path of Fear, and, of course, Jacques Tourneur's The Leopard Man was from Black Alibi.  Two films have been made from his short story Nightmare, The Black Curtain was used for an Alfred Hitchcock Hour, and The Window with Bobby Driscoll was adapted from one of his short stories.  There are more.  One of my favorite writers.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2004, 06:28:46 AM »

Is DR Andrea back from Italy?  Well either way Happy Birthday!

I saw Bernadette Peters in AGYG and thought she was very good.

Excellent vibes to BK ~~~~~~~~~~~.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2004, 06:31:32 AM »

DR Jason I hope that you are doing better today.  I think your idea of taking a day is a good one.  Then I would send an email.  But I don't think I would lay everything out so soon.

If you need to talk, email me.  And feel better.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2004, 06:33:18 AM »

BK - This review should sort it out:

"It's said that nothing new comes out of Hollywood these days, and that's certainly the case with Mrs. Winterbourne, a romantic comedy based on Cornell Woolrich's I Married a Dead Man. This film creates a sense of deja vu that may have viewers flashing back to last year's While You Were Sleeping, a remarkably similar story. However, while Sleeping boasted the talents of a charismatic Sandra Bullock and affable Bill Pullman, Mrs. Winterbourne has an irritating Ricki Lake and bland Brendan Fraser. It's not hard to guess which is the better movie."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 06:38:08 AM »

Of course, it's I Married a Dead Man, and both While I Was Sleeping and Mrs. Winterbourne.  Waltz into Darkness was The Mississippi Mermaid/Original Sin.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2004, 06:43:56 AM »

Forgot Deadline at Dawn from Woolrich/Irish's novel, and Street of Chance with Burgess Meredith, also from The Black Curtain.  And two or three Woolrich stories were used in the classic TV series Thriller, including the eerie Papa Benjamin.  He was also adapted hundreds of times for radio - shows like Suspense, Inner Sanctum, etc.

Oh, and forgot one of the best Woolich adaptations - Four O'Clock on the Alfred Hitchcock Hour, directed by Hitch himself, with E.G. Marshall.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2004, 06:46:38 AM »

What an extraordinary bibliography for Cornell Woolrich. But is he your source for "Clever These Americans"? (The story's title is also listed as "Damned Clever, These Americans.")

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2004, 06:52:08 AM »

I think the phrase was around before him, but certainly now that I know it's from a Woolrich/Irish story, I know that's where I've heard it.  At one time, I had a complete first edition collection of every single Woolrich/Irish/Hopley book and every single issue (hundreds) of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine that had a Woolrich story.  My darling daughter and I used to go out on weekends hunting for issues (when she was eight or nine) - we were cherce scavengers haunting every weird used book and magazine store from downtown LA to the Valley to Santa Monica.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2004, 07:06:20 AM »

Worst casting? I really had no clue until William Lurie's mention of Glenn Close reminded me how much I hated Jason Alexander as Albert Peterson in BYE BYE BIRDIE and Matthew Broderick as Harold Hill in THE MUSIC MAN. They're the worst I've seen.

Dorothy Lamour was my first Dolly, so I can't be too mean about her as I had nothing to compare her to. She was never a great actress and was not used to projecting in a huge theater (miking was fairly primitive back in those days.) But she sang so much better than the Carol Channing on the recording I had that I liked her.

I can't think of any people in the theater I actually thought were so very miscast that I saw. I'm sure Raquel Welch was ridiculous as Victor/Victoria, but I didn't see her.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2004, 07:37:54 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone this fine morning when excellent vibes and xylophones are needed?  In any case, I'm off to deal with the blechhy business and will return, hopefully VERY shortly.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2004, 08:04:37 AM »

Off for another pool afternoon. It's going to be 95 here today, so this will be a most opportune excursion this afternoon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2004, 08:47:57 AM »

Wow, where is everybody today?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2004, 08:55:52 AM »

BK, in one of his not unusual quandries, posed:

I was taught to clean my plate and I’m afraid that old habits die hard. Clever, these Americans.
Why did I just write “Clever, these Americans”? That was a non-sequitur if there ever was one. It just came out, just like that. There I was, merrily typing away, when out came, “Clever, these Americans”. If anyone has a clew as to why, do let us all know.

Herewith, a possible clew:

We must tie the mystery phrase to the cleaning of one's plate.

When I was young and growing up (not to be confused with old and still not grown up) we were told to clean our plate with the admonition; "Think of all those poor starving Armenians."  Now, in those days, "Armenians" were a mythical people in a far away land - they had not yet invaded Glendale. An Armenian is just a few careless keystokes away from an American.

der Brucer (being his usual not too helpful self)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2004, 09:01:31 AM »

Let's move to Page Two!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up