Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAN B  (Read 23388 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:PLAN B
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2004, 06:44:45 AM »

Years ago we spent Christmases with Gord's parents in St. Petersburg, FL. The downtown motel we stayed at was pretty tacky, right down to the paper bathmat. What I recall, though, was driving along the beach area's motel strip and seeing so many "English-owned" signs. We later learned that this was code for "white-owned."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 06:45:52 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2004, 06:54:02 AM »

Loveliest hotel I ever stayed in was either the Bellagio in Vegas or the Royal York in Toronto.

Crappiest hotel I ever stayed in.....hmmm, unfortunately the choices are many!....a hotel in New Haven (not the Taft or Park Plaza, which is also pretty crappy) which was pretty much a dump, and where I had an equally "dump-y" rendez-vous with someone I was seeing at the time....A Ramada in Ft. Lauderdale that was part of a "We'll send you to Florida and the Bahamas if you come see our time share property" deal (at least we ended up at what was then the Princess in the Bahamas).....There's another crappy one that I can't think of right now.  I must have blocked out.......

Coolest hotel I have never stayed in:  Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, thanks to a travel tip from my dear brother, DR Jay.

One of the Grandest hotels I have never stayed in, but toured:  The Hotel Del in San Diego/Coronado.

I love exploring hotels.....and cruise ships...but hotels that have history always are cool.....and i think an empty hotel/motel is one of the eeriest things (in a cool way), but I chalk that up to both PSYCHO and THE SHINING.

Could I say "cool" any more in this post?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2004, 07:01:55 AM »

DR Stuart,

The beautiful Royal York is now the Fairmont Royal York. The Fairmont people tried to chop Royal York off the name, but the city protested bigtime.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2004, 07:10:14 AM »

DR Stuart,

The beautiful Royal York is now the Fairmont Royal York. The Fairmont people tried to chop Royal York off the name, but the city protested bigtime.

Didn't they have a similar problem with all the Princess properties they took over as well?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2004, 07:12:41 AM »

When we were kids in the late 1950s early 1960s, we'd spend the hottest week in July visiting our grandmother (my dad's mom) in Miami Beach. She lived extremely modestly, to say the least, though I wouldn't be surprised if her place has turned into some trendy South Beach club. We stayed at a rather lowscale hotel but didn't mind because it was on the beach. The year after my dad passed away, my mom decided to continue the tradition - but to brighten our spirits she booked us into the far superior Seville Hotel (which had a social director by the name of Loretta de Young). Immediately, my dad's side (step-brother and step-sister) started speculating about the fortune my mom must have been left.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2004, 07:19:01 AM »

Didn't they have a similar problem with all the Princess properties they took over as well?

Stuart,

I'm not sure, but wouldn't be surprised. I knew the Royal York as a Canadian Pacific Hotel, but I think there was some kind of merger involved before Fairmont acquired the Canadian properties.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2004, 07:30:12 AM »

Jo regelt! The Gellert in Budapest (on the Buda side) is one of the grand old hotels of Europe. Great thermal baths where everyone lounges about naked.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2004, 07:37:25 AM »

BK, the What if - The Revue sounds great! If I could afford to fly down there I would, just to see it!!

JRand53, interesting WHAT'S MY LINE story. Barbara F., what a tacky thing to do!

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2004, 08:08:05 AM »

I love the "What If - a musical revue" idea.  I'm just bummed that I'm on the east coast (or will be again shortly) and that I won't be able to see it.  

I have no interesting hotel stories to share.  For which I guess I'm grateful.  No, I'm always sorry.  No, I'm always grateful.  Whatever.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2004, 08:08:41 AM »

Of course some of the greatest hotels/resorts to explore (at least to a Jewish boy from Brooklyn) were the grand ones in those Alps of the eastern US:  The Catskills.  The "mountains."  The "Borscht Belt."

Some with 2 championship golf courses.  Olympic sized pools.  Nightclubs.  Coffee Shops.  Sites of weddings from Steve & Eydie to Debbie & Eddie.  They were cities.  And they are gone.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2004, 08:22:41 AM »

I think the idea of a revue is wonderful and mjuch more interesting for summer entertainment than any of the three original play choices. Also, by concocting this, it has a chance for much longer life through other productions. Will read with interest over the next weeks as Plan Be germinates.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2004, 08:26:23 AM »

Best hotel I ever stayed at was the Las Brisas in Acapulco. They were actually individual pink bungalows on the side of a mountain. You were furnished with your own jeep to go up and down the mountain to get to your bungalow which had its own pool if you didn't want to swim in the ocean. Fresh fruit and bread were served every morning, and the entire place a kind of paradise. I'll never forget those carefree days there.

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2004, 08:50:48 AM »

Jennifer, no analyzing dreams like Ann’s, I just enjoy them. :)

No, I was asking if you were gonna look in your dream book and tell us what it meant.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2004, 08:54:23 AM »

DR JRand I have not yet tried to grill tomatoes.  But I will.  I just need to make sure not to grill them too long!

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2004, 08:57:54 AM »

I have ON THE RIVIERA coming on this afternoon, so I'll be back online at a later time than usual. I want to see this "live" to make sure I get all the way through it for once.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2004, 09:00:16 AM »

Spent the night last night at the zoo.  Well not a real zoo.  But I went over to my sister's new house to see the kids (her 4 yr old nephew and 9 yr old niece and their parents are staying there for a month).  And when I got there there were 9 kids!  And all their parents were upstairs.  So I went downstairs to watch them all.  Let me just say that little boys have way too much energy.  Oy!

Jason

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2004, 09:14:12 AM »

Sounds like a good plan, BK. Break legs with it, and safe travels to DR Jose.

Well, Dear Readers, the saga, it would appear, has come to an end. I broke down today and sent a text message to the person with whom I was smitten and haven't heard anything back, which leads me to believe that it's totally through, which stinks. I thought he was better than that. It was a very simple message--non-threatening. Just, "Hi! Wondering how you were doing. Don't be a stranger..." That was it. And I've heard nothing back. This, from the guy who's text responses came back so quickly that I hardly had enough time to read them, can't even write back to say he's alive, or to tell me to drop dead. What went wrong? I thought we got along so well! We can't even be friends now? How sad...for both of us. I feel very empty right now. I guess that's how I should be feeling...very hollow. I can't really be mad and I don't think I can be sad anymore. I'm hurt and confused and disappointed and embarrassed and very, very hollow.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 09:23:33 AM by Jason »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2004, 09:14:47 AM »

Of course, my alternate title for the revue was Plan B.  I'll no more about what my song needs are after the next couple of days.  Noel, if you have a current number on Marcy or Zina can you shoot it to me in an e or a PM.  Both numbers I have are not happening.

And yes, Mr. Denis Markell is a brand spanking new daddy to a brand spanking new baby boy.  And yes, we'll be doing "Something", along with Tammy's signature song Joshua Noveck, as well as their brilliant Ninas.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2004, 09:22:17 AM »

Hey BK if you go to their website:
http://www.goldrichandheisler.com/

Click on "contact us".  There are email addresses for each of them.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2004, 09:32:00 AM »

With Hirschfeld's shuffling off the mortal coil, does "Ninas" still work? I love the song ("David Mamet has a Nina... it's a @#$ piece of !@#$" had the missus rolling on the floor the first time she heard it), and I'd love "to have a Nina," but would it still play (in LA, no less?)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2004, 09:38:20 AM »

Well, our very own Mr. Jason Graae just did the song three weeks ago in his nightclub act, and it did indeed work very well.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2004, 09:55:46 AM »

OK, OK.  I should have held out the extra half hour last night.  Do I win any points for guessing Plan B was a revue????

Congrats on this turn of events, Dear BK!  I can tell from your tone that you have lots more energy and investment in this revue than you did in any of the properties you were pursuing.  I'm thrilled, too, that Dear Reader Jose will be a part of the mix.

Thursday August 12th is marked in red in my calendar and I certainly will be there for the big opening night!

Given the title, will you be using any of your "What if [name of one composer/lyricist or team] wrote [name of show written by a different composer/lyricist or team]" songs?

Once details are set, please share them with me so I can talk up the show with my circle here in Southern California.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 09:56:30 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2004, 10:02:01 AM »

I'll be there with bells on for opening night! (Might distract the performers, but I always wear bells on opening night.)

Bells come in black?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2004, 10:05:10 AM »

Must one have actually stayed at a hotel for it to be included in today's topic of the day?  There are several properties I've been to for a meal or just to walk around the grounds that have been mighty awesome:

The Ritz Carlton in Maui
The Four Seasons on the Big Island of Hawaii
The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite National Park
Blantyre in Lenox, Massachusetts
Wheatleigh in Lenox, Massachusetts
The Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado, California

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2004, 10:06:04 AM »

DR Jason, my heart goes out to you.....  I used to hate it when guys I was interested in were, pardon the expression, schmucks.

However, my favorite "gotta get over you, and fast" song to play incessantly at these times is "I Never Want to See You Again" from DANCE A LITTLE CLOSER (aka CLOSE A LITTLE FASTER).  Surely you have a similar tune up your sleeve?  Any other DR's have suggestions?

But seriously, Jason.....he is worse off for it.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2004, 10:06:16 AM »

Btw, I think that revue idea sounds great.  But what happens to all those people you auditioned this weekend?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2004, 10:07:19 AM »

Yes, it's buried somewhere in today's notes - the spine of the show will be the What If parodies, which have never really been performed in public.  We'll probably do between five and ten, spread throughout the show.  

Jay

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2004, 10:09:39 AM »

Any other DR's have suggestions?

"I Hate Men" from Kiss Me Kate.

Jay

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2004, 10:12:31 AM »

Yes, it's buried somewhere in today's notes - the spine of the show will be the What If parodies, which have never really been performed in public.  We'll probably do between five and ten, spread throughout the show.  

Went back and saw it.  Sorry.  I read the notes hurriedly for all the details, and that one didn't quite register.  The show, I predict, will be brilliant!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2004, 10:18:29 AM »

SWW if no one here knows for sure I can ask some of my kosher friends, but my first reaction is no.  Do you make onion soup as well as onion jam?  Did you miss my request for a good recipe?
I haven't tried making onion soup...yet.  My onion jam is based on Alton Brown's onion soup recipe, cut down for time and the amount made.  His French Onion Soup recipe is one of the best I've come across.  I'm not sure how I'd convert his recipe to pure vegetarian; since he's using both beef consume and chicken broth, switching over to vegetable broth will cut out the natural gelatins and alter the mouth-feel.

Oh, and yes, he does break out the electric skillet for this soup.  It gives great temperature control, much better than doing this on the stove top would give.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up