Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAN B  (Read 23389 times)

Jason

Re:PLAN B
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2004, 10:19:23 AM »

Stuart: Thanks for the sentiment. I don't have any "I gotta get over you fast" songs because I've never really had anyone that I've wanted to get over. Lately I've been singing a lot to try to let some emotion out--a lot of angry songs and a lot of sappy ones, too.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2004, 10:31:23 AM »

...And when I got there there were 9 kids!  And all their parents were upstairs.  So I went downstairs to watch them all.  Let me just say that little boys have way too much energy.  Oy!
Little boys do NOT have too much energy!  It's the caregivers that never have enough!   ;)

Congrats on having the sense to be the caregiver, and shame on the other adults for not bothering.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2004, 10:44:11 AM »

Hotels.

Der Brucer and I have travelled a bit, and I did some of my own back in my scorekeeping days.

Some hotels had great views.  There was one atop a major hill in San Francisco, a tall tower overlooking the city, spectacular view.  The hotel room we stayed in when we were in Cincinatti had windows looking down on the fountain that was featured in the opening credits for WKRP.

On the other hand, some hotels have great bathrooms.  These tend to be the priciest hotel rooms, of course.  They have to do something to afford those ultra-plush robes that I'm certain everyone steals.  (Drat, I wish I hadn't been so honest.)

And there was the hotel we stayed at once in DC, which had a kitchenette!  We figured out fairly quickly that it was normally used by people on business in that city, a semi-residential place, easier for the travellers than renting an apartment.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2004, 10:44:18 AM »

DR MattH, did you still happen to have any of the Matt Battaglia QAF episodes taped? Jose's taping went awry  :'(

If you happen to have them I would gladly reimburse you for the costs!

Hope you enjoy ON THE RIVIERA....look for Ms. Joi Lansing in a small role!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2004, 10:45:54 AM »

I'll have to get back before posting about the hotel in Berlin.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2004, 10:48:03 AM »

Things will certainly be hopping on the West Coast this month!   ;D

Worst hotel I ever stayed at:  I think it was called the Ford Hotel in Toronto.  I doubt that it is still there.  Very scary, the elevators were unreliable, the rooms were small, not much hot water.  The windows opened directly and DRPANNI could have easily jumped from them.  Often times when we got into the elevator, other passengers would switch from speaking English to speaking French.  It was scary, and I planned two alternate fire escape routes.  

BEST HOTEL:  Sheraton Bal Harbour in South Beach.  So beautiful, and a view of the ocean, lovely sunrises and sunsets.  Private beach, pool, good food, entertainment....everything was very convenient.    8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2004, 10:48:12 AM »

Off soon to the Humanitas Awards Luncheon.

Hey, SWW - I don't always wear just BLACK. I am right now, for example, wearing off-white slacks and a black silk top.

Keep your chin up, Jason. Your friend may simply be busy. If he truly is simply not going to answer -- then he doesn't deserve you. So there!

Laters!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2004, 10:49:14 AM »

DR MBARNUM - I have the Battaglia tapes if MATTH doesn't.  And I owe you a couple of tapes, I am sure!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2004, 10:50:36 AM »

Bummer, DRJASON.  But IF he is having second thoughts....it may have more to do with the distance between two cities than anything personal.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2004, 11:03:57 AM »

Little boys do NOT have too much energy!  It's the caregivers that never have enough!   ;)

Congrats on having the sense to be the caregiver, and shame on the other adults for not bothering.

It is true, I do not have the energy that they have.  I could not believe it.  But the 4 yr old boy was still up at midnight when I left.  My sis went into his bed with him, and he was telling her stories.  She almost fell asleep.  And she told me he was like, "um are you listening to me?" :)

I just want to say that the other adults were not "not bothering".  They all seem like wonderful and attentive parents.  They just sent all the kids to the basement to play.

There was an 11 yr old and a 10 yr old there (the older sisters of two of the other kids).

And I'm pretty sure that the parents were taking turns checking on the younger ones (before I arrived).

It was mostly just the two boys (4 and 5) who were not too good alone.

I like to give the parents a break, because they take care of the kids all the time.

It just amazes me how much energy they all have.

But at least James (who just turned 4, and who is my sister's husband's sister's son) finally called out my name.  He ran upstairs screaming, "jennifer come back".

He had accidently changed the channel to his cartoon and needed me to fix it. :)

Jason

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2004, 11:10:20 AM »

OK. So now I feel like a total heel. He wrote back. Said he's busy, but did at least ask how life in the "big city" was. :-\ Now I'm really embarrassed.

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2004, 11:10:40 AM »

BK, I think the way you worded the notes confused me.  I also didn't really understand what you meant about the "What Ifs".  But now that I re-read it (knowing what you meant), I can't believe I didn't clue in the first time!

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2004, 11:14:06 AM »

Hey DR Jason: I'm so glad he wrote back!

I'll bet he was busy.  But also you probably scared him a bit.  Just play it cool.  And hopefully things will work out the way you want them to.  Good luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2004, 11:16:13 AM »

Plan B vibes to BK and Jose! ~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel better soon vibes to Jane! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Relationship vibes to Jason! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jason

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2004, 11:18:56 AM »

Jennifer: Yeah, I know. I don't understand why I'm obsessing so much. Well, I do understand...I'm desperate for someone to connect to me the way that I want to connect to someone else. Geez...when did HHW become a therapy session? Anyway, while I'm obsessing over here, I'm playing it cool and funny in my messages to him. Humour is one of my strongest assets, so I'm trying to keep things light and airy. No rants, no muss, no fuss. I'll save all of that for this here site. LOL

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2004, 11:34:42 AM »

Stuart Keith and I stayed in the Madonna Suite on our honeymoon.

Panni my boys went to some grand hotel in Buda where they had reasonably priced Turkish baths.   I wonder if that is the same place.  We stayed at the Meridian on the Pest side.  There was a slight mix up with our room so we were upgraded.  The suite was gorgeous, even had a powder room.  There was a beautiful bathtub and a shower.  The décor of all the rooms in the hotel were lovely.  The service was great, the dining room beautiful, and the food was excellent.  Every afternoon we sat outside while I had tea and the guys had beer.

I’m sorry Jason.  There could be a reason he hasn’t responded.  He might not be home or he didn’t receive your message.  If he is simply ignoring you then he really isn’t the person you thought he was.  I see you changed your photo to match your mood.  I hope it won't be long before you are ready to change it back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2004, 11:39:26 AM »

Yes, new picture please DRJASON!

DRJANE your posts make me want to take a vacation....between you and DRCP - I feel like a shut in!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2004, 11:40:11 AM »

Does anyone have a picture of Sol Siegel?  The only one I can find on the web is from 1962 with Vincente Minnelli....need one from the 1940's if possible.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2004, 11:48:27 AM »

That’s what I get for posting before reading page three.  I basically repeated what Panni said, and now I have good news that Jason heard from him.  

Jason don’t be embarrassed, it is understandable you were concerned.  I’m glad we can be of help and let you obsess here and play it cool with him.

SWW, thank you for the recipe.  I think Keith is going to cheat, the first time anyway, and use chicken broth.

Sandra thank you.  I’m feeling a wee bit better today.  

JRand now I want to stay home for a long time, but can’t.  I still have to go to Portland and then NY.  

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2004, 11:51:37 AM »

That didn’t sound right.  It’s not that I don’t want to go to Portland or NY, I just don’t want the hassle of going.  Portland is fairly easy as we will drive there, but NY is three flights from here, or two flights to Dulles and the train to NY.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2004, 11:51:47 AM »

OK. So now I feel like a total heel. He wrote back. Said he's busy, but did at least ask how life in the "big city" was. :-\ Now I'm really embarrassed.

Well, now you can switch over to "I'll Be Wearing Ribbons Down My Back (This Summer)"

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2004, 11:58:58 AM »

Okay, I haven't read any posts since I went to bed last night, and I'm just about to leave work to go see "Fahrenheit 9/11" with my family, but I had to share an e-mail that I just got:

"Congratulations! You have been selected to receive two tickets to the upcoming Antiques Roadshow event in Portland, Oregon, at the Oregon Convention Center on Saturday, August 21, 2004."

;D ;D Yea!!! ;D ;D I didn't get tickets to the Seattle Antiques Roadshow a couple of years ago, and I was quite bummed.  Maybe we of the Northwest can plan a get-together around that time?  Anyway, just had to share.  Now I'm off to see "Fahrenheit 9/11" again!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2004, 12:11:16 PM »

George I might be able to go to Portland then.  I can't say for sure now but I will certainly try.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2004, 12:11:52 PM »

Well, I think a revue sounds much more interesting and fun than all those modern playwrights any day.  Where do I buy my tickets for opening night?

Best Hotels:

The Duke's Hotel in London.  I was put up here my first month in 1982 when I went to do my Sherlock Holmes.  It was small but elegant and very quiet right in the heart of London.  In a little courtyard cul-de-sac right off Picadilly.  The Lovely Wife and I still go there for a drink in their great bar every time we're in London.

I was invited to attend a film conference in my hometown area by the Cincinnati Film Commission.  They put in the Netherland Hotel, an elegant old hotel, right downtown.  With a view of the Ohio River and Northern Kentucky.  You could have slept six people in the bed and the room had a little sitting area as well.  There was a five-star restaurant in the hotel with a piano bar that played Gershwin, Porter, et al.  A couple of my old high school friends came across the river (all of maybe five minutes away was my Kentucky home from downtown Cincy) and we had one of the best meals I've ever had.

My favourite place is the San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito, where your room is your own individual cabin with a fireplace and all the niceties.  Their Stone House Restaurant is my favourite restaurant in Southern California and we've had many a great meal there.  Ocean breezes, quiet woodsy serenity.  The place also has a great history.  It was once owned by Ronald Colman and many celebrities have passed through.  Olivier and Leigh honeymooned there.

The most unusual place was a Pub/Inn called the Golden Fleece in York, England.  Our stunt co-ordinator friend, Paul Weston, had driven us up there to visit with a colleague and friend who was dying of cancer.  After our visit, we drove into the town of York and had a great pub meal of traditional Roast Beef and Yorkshire pud and then stayed at rooms in this inn that had been there since Elizabethan days.  The stairs and floors rolled and tossed. A giant sheepdog had the run of the place. It was all very quaint. The only drawback to the place was you shared a communal bathroom with other rooms, down the hall.  Never my idea of fun.  But, of course, worst of all was having to get up in the middle of the night and put your clothes on to go to the loo.  But the next morning, they served the best traditional British breakfast I ever had.

Worst Hotel:  In Zilinia, Slovakia.  It was an old grey blockish structure, built in the communist era -- Architecture was not a communist gift -- one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen.  The beds were hard as rocks.  And the floor of the bathroom a bit suspect.  It was un-air-conditioned, but when you left the windows opened, your room got infested with little green gnat-like bugs.  In addition, there was some sort of road rally/car thingie event staying at the hotel at the same time.  So you'd hear the roar of souped-up engines late into the night.

The hotel where we stayed in Cannes had styrofoam mouldings around the ceiling disguised as real mouldings.

And then there was a motel in Weatherford, Texas, just west of Fort Worth, where we stayed on a drive across country, that reminded me of the motel in Touch of Evil.  I thought we'd be murdered in our beds.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 12:21:58 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2004, 12:52:24 PM »

Speaking of "Plan B", is that a real legal term?  They used to use the term all the time on The Practice.  It was when they ambushed someone to make them look guilty, so the jury would have reasonable doubt for their clients.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2004, 01:09:06 PM »

BK---
I'm not trying to open a can of works, but do you have to get any rights or permissions to do the what ifs?  I know that FORBIDDEN BROADWAY has to get permission to do their parodies although I read that they rarely if ever get turned down.  I just don't want to see you getting in any trouble.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2004, 01:34:55 PM »

Wow, with Panni and BK gone there are no posts!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2004, 01:40:01 PM »

Oh yes there are.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2004, 01:47:31 PM »

Maybe we of the Northwest can plan a get-together around that time?  Anyway, just had to share.  Now I'm off to see "Fahrenheit 9/11" again!

Yes, I think that sounds simply faboo!  A Northwest HHW gathering is long overdue.

Speaking of the local HHW people...has anyone heard from TCB of late?  Silly, I know, but I saw an ambulance heading in the direction of his place of residence last night...he only lives a few blocks from me...and I couldn't help but hope he wasn't the cause of the flashing lights.  I know, I'm paranoid, but I'll feel better when I see he's back here at HHW, safe and sound.  

Jane

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2004, 01:54:06 PM »

Do you have his phone number to call if he doesn't post tonight?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up