Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING YOUR WEIGHT  (Read 21949 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:PULLING YOUR WEIGHT
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2004, 09:56:19 AM »

Palermo's?

Could be.  We'd been there some years ago and liked it.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2004, 10:08:57 AM »

Since everybody likes to hear about food 'round here....
Yesterday, for the first time, I had chicken potpie at Du-Par's -- one of their specialties. Quite tasty. I'm still longing for pie sans chicken, though. I'm not a huge pie person, but all the talk of the stuff yesterday -- plus the fact that what I REALLY wanted for lunch was ice cream and pie, but was forced to be sensible and have the chicken variety -- has made me lust for the stuff. I love, for example, fresh peach pie with good vanilla ice cream. Yum.
...Enough with the pie. Off to the writing derby.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 10:10:41 AM by Panni »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2004, 10:14:45 AM »

Back from having a beef lo mein bowl of noodles and now ready to watch MURDER, MY SWEET while the laundry is washing and drying.

Back later in the afternoon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2004, 10:23:58 AM »

Pie!

Butterscotch cream pie with meringue.....

Do you know how hard it is to dance with a pie?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2004, 10:25:16 AM »

Yes, derBrucer, I have also enjoyed the Vilanch columns.  Not sure how much I would enjoy seeing him in the role...I think they are coming to Indy sooner or later, and I wonder just how many people will realize who he is.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2004, 10:50:21 AM »

Matt H. I believe you enjoyed Monk more than we did.  We feel his at times he is made to look stupid, instead of troubled.  I wish we had laughed when he was sitting in the dark whining.

Panni thank you, I will take you up on your offer.  Since you first mentioned CHARLIE GRAN’S WAR we have wanted to see it.  At the time I set TIVO to automatically record it.  So far it hasn’t aired.  I just called our two local video stores and they don’t have it.

As to last nights beard discussion, I understood what Charles was referring to in regard to the play, and SWW I am a great fan of beards, especially nicely trimmed ones.  I won’t let Keith shave his, and keep encouraging our younger son to grow one.  Our older son began growing a beard on our trip. :)

Danise

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2004, 10:53:32 AM »

Hi all–Did I mention that after reading todays notes, I may have pulled a muscle?   :D

I have a question that I wanted to ask from the other day but forgot to post.  Pardon  my ignorance, Bruce,  but what is a breakdown service?  I realize it has something to do with casting calls but I’ve never heard of one before.  Is like a temp service?

And can I say something without sounding like butt kisser?  (Humm wonder where I picked that phrase up at?)  I’m so happy to belong to a board where everyone gets along.  It’s  nice be among people who can agree to disagree without really getting mad at one another. That’s all I have to say.

I’m making my famous Coke (make that Pepsi this time) and mushroom soup beef roast with potatoes for dinner.  Yum!

I’m slumming today.  The grass really needs to be cut but since my surgery is coming up the following week, I thought it would be best to wait until the last weekend before I do anything.  With my luck it will be knee deep before I can cut it again.

I haven’t heard how everyone is doing on their diet.  I’m kinda pleased to say that I’m maintaining.  I haven’t lost all the weight I wanted to but I have lost twenty pounds and seem to be keeping it off.  I confess I keep slipping.  What can I say?  I love carbs, carbs love me.  

So who all watched Star Gate?  What did you think?  Any one see the commercials for Battlestar:   Galactica?  I wasn’t to crazy about the remake movie so I wonder how the series will be. For one thing, Starbuck should be a guy.  I didn’t care for the lady Starbuck at all.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 10:54:55 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2004, 11:05:11 AM »

Yesterday (a Beetles reference) Michael Shayne asked:

Can anyone post a picture of actress Marilyn Cooper?

To which I can happily reply, Yes.

der Brucer (believing that brevity is the soul of wit)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2004, 11:07:47 AM »

Very interesting DRGEORGE.  Ring Ring the Banjo....or is that someone else?

According to the table of contents:  "Ring de banjo;" First edition; Copyright April 29, 1851.

Yup, that's it. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2004, 11:08:37 AM »

Ah, but is this the right Marilyn Cooper?

der Brucer (she sure is no Marilyn Chambers!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2004, 11:26:04 AM »

... I'm still longing for pie sans chicken, though.

Hmmm...chilcken pot pie without the chicken...interesting.

I bet Jane has a recipe using tofu! 8)

der Brucer (doing his share of pulling your weight leg)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2004, 11:28:42 AM »

That's the song DRGEORGE.  I have an LP of Stephen Foster songs and that's one of my favorites!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2004, 11:29:18 AM »

DR DANISE if I were on a diet, I would have news.  Instead, I am still in Fat City.

Jason

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2004, 11:30:46 AM »

Hi, all. I went out with my new buddy from Craigslist.com last night. He was very nice...not exactly what I was expecting, but cool nonetheless. You can tell he's a southerner--he has a residual South Carolina accent and he walked me to my train just to be polite--and about an hour after I got home, I had an email from him saying what a nice time he had and that he hopes that we can do it again sometime next week. He also thanked me for actually listening to what he had to say, which I thought was quite sweet. I get the feeling that most people don't give him that courtesy, which I can't really understand because some of his stories are RIDICULOUSLY funny. There wasn't the spark that I felt with the person in Chicago, but that's not what I was looking for, anyway. I will admit, though...it'd be nice to meet someone here with whom I had that spark. But I guess we're all looking for that, aren't we?

My spirits are better, and have been for the last couple of days. I still miss "Chicago," but that sting is starting to fade. I spoke with my best friend out in Indiana yesterday, which made me happy, and I'm anxiously awaiting her return to the Big Apple. One of her co-stars is moving here in January, and according to her, he's the second-sweetest guy she's ever met (myself, of course, being the sweetest of them all), so hopefully he and I will become friends, too. She seems to think we'd be good friends. It feels good to be expanding my circle of friends...or to at least be attempting to do so.

And now I'm off to get some lunch. I've been on a Taco Bell kick lately--I don't know why. It's not even real Mexican food, but I think it tastes good and it's relatively cheap. Hope you're all having a good day!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 11:36:24 AM by Jason »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2004, 11:33:18 AM »

Hi all–Did I mention that after reading todays notes, I may have pulled a muscle?   :D

Dearest Lady - just "read" the notes - don't act them out!

der Brucer (doing more weight leg pulling)

Jane

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2004, 11:33:40 AM »

Hmmm...chilcken pot pie without the chicken...interesting.

I bet Jane has a recipe using tofu! 8)

der Brucer (doing his share of pulling your weight leg)

Nope, but you can buy them in the frozen section. :)

Jane

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2004, 11:36:35 AM »

George, do I get to see the Foster collection when we meet?

JRand53 GOOD NERD VIBES!

Td I enjoyed your story very much.  Wish I could have been there.

Noel I’m sure glad your neighbor’s aren’t mine-I’m allergic to marijuana.

Danise we didn’t see the Battlestar:  Galactica COMMERCIAL TIVO does have it set to record.  I’m not too sure about the female Starbuck either.  We shal see.

Jason, you did say you are looking for friends, maybe you just found one.  As for sparks, there weren’t any for me when I met Keith and look how that ended.  :D :D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2004, 11:36:45 AM »

Yes, derBrucer, I have also enjoyed the Vilanch columns.  Not sure how much I would enjoy seeing him in the role...I think they are coming to Indy sooner or later, and I wonder just how many people will realize who he is.

But even in Indiana they'll probably realize what he is ::)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2004, 11:38:26 AM »

Jason - So glad you had a nice time with your new friend and that he seems to be not only funny, but a decent human being. Sounds like you're handling the "sting" really well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 11:40:16 AM by Panni »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2004, 11:40:29 AM »

...I am a great fan of beards, especially nicely trimmed ones.  I won’t let Keith shave his...

And we have no pictures because......

Jason

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2004, 11:46:16 AM »

Jason, you did say you are looking for friends, maybe you just found one.  As for sparks, there weren’t any for me when I met Keith and look how that ended.  :D :D

Yes, I think Jason and I (yes, his name is Jason, too) could definitely become good buddies. As for the sparks...I don't know. He does have an awfully pretty smile and he's quite the gentleman, but for now, we're just going to be friends as far as I'm concerned. There was, for me at least, a blazing inferno with "Chicago." That might be hard to find again anytime soon. There again, that flame seems to have burned itself out almost as fast as it was lit. Life lessons, I guess.

And DR Jane: How in the world do you know you're allergic to marijuana...?  :P

George

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2004, 11:50:56 AM »

George, do I get to see the Foster collection when we meet?

Absolutely!  It's pretty heavy, but I can bring it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2004, 12:25:04 PM »

Jay and Noel, Palermo's on Vermont (right across from the House of Pies) is the only Eyetalian place that I can think of that's been there forever.  I sometimes walk down there on the nights The Lovely Wife works late and will have a meal there.  I find it hearty and good, while not exceptional, but both the price and helpings are generous.  When I lived in a bungalow across from the Alto Nido (where Nathaniel West lived and wrote DAY OF THE LOCUST...we think our bungalows may have been the inspirations), I used to go to Palermo's branch (no longer there) around the corner on Yucca to order pizza which was pretty good.  (The stretch of Ivar I used to live on is also famous for the street down which William Holden drives his car away from the repossessors in the opening moments of Sunset Blvd.)

The only other Eyetalian place would be a branch of Louise's now housed in what used to be one of the Brown Derby restaurants on the corner of Los Feliz and Hillhurst and is perfectly nice.  But it really hasn't been there all that long.

George

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2004, 12:25:12 PM »

Danise we didn’t see the Battlestar:  Galactica COMMERCIAL TIVO does have it set to record.  I’m not too sure about the female Starbuck either.  We shal see.

I watched "Battlestar:  Galactica" on The SciFi Channel and, as much I liked the original, I'm not stuck in the past.  This is a totally different take on the basic story.  If you watch it with that in mind (an open mind, mind you), I don't think you'll be disappointed.  I enjoyed it.  It's not the best science fiction story (or even remake) ever done, but it's pretty good...and the special effects are certainly worth it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 12:26:37 PM by George »

Danise

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2004, 12:25:35 PM »

DR DANISE if I were on a diet, I would have news.  Instead, I am still in Fat City.
You didn't look like Fat Cityin that picture you posted the other night!

Posted by: DERBRUCER  Posted on: Today at 02:33:18pm  
Quote from: Danise on Today at 01:53:32pm
Hi all–Did I mention that after reading todays notes, I may have pulled a muscle?  

Dearest Lady - just "read" the notes - don't act them out!

der Brucer (doing more weight leg pulling)  

LOL!  I'll take that under advisement.  

I also meant to tell you all about the bill I received yesterday. For services not yet rendered either.  Would you believe the hospital is ALREADY billing me?!  I have to come up with the co-pay by the pre-op or the surgery is off.  Only in America!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2004, 12:29:14 PM »

Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure Bruce Villanch is leaving Hairspray at the end of the summer.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2004, 12:31:05 PM »

DR George, check your inbox.

and, yes, there is a copy available.  (I looked after I had posted the PM).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Robin

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »

This issue also has part 1 of a 2 part John Saxon interview!!

Mr. John Saxon appears in "The Feminum Mystique, Parts 1 and 2" on the new Wonder Woman--Season One deeveedee box set.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2004, 12:35:35 PM »

And on the subject of Wonder Woman, I must say I enjoy Jason's new avatar quite a bit.  Lynda Carter fit the part of Wonder Woman as well as Christopher Reeve fit the part of Superman...outstanding casting in both instances.  

I'm quite enjoying re-visiting the Wonder Woman teevee show on deeveedee.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2004, 12:43:26 PM »

DR Danise, I had actually sort of stopped dieting for a bit.  But I need to definitely start really paying attention to what I eat.  And start biking everyday.  For a while I was either biking or doing pilates every single day.  And I want to get back to that.  So if anyone wants to ask me if I've exercised (any day) please feel free to do so.

And btw, there were so many people biking today. And it was REALLY hot!

BBQ tonight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up