Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING YOUR WEIGHT  (Read 21874 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:PULLING YOUR WEIGHT
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2004, 12:49:44 PM »

Thanks td!!

And one for...whoever the hell wants it! ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 12:49:59 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2004, 12:50:39 PM »

I was just reading in the paper about a new service called Vonage.  It's a phone service that used your computer instead of land line.  It sounds interesting.  Has anyone here heard of it or use it?  

What are your thoughts?

BTW Robin,  your signature line.  I seem to remember that saying but worded slightly different-- that a Woman needs a Man like a fish needs a bicycle.   ;D

I don't blame you, DR Jennifer.  I'm having problems as well with sticking with it 100%.  I feel lucky that I'm just maintaining.  I don't want to gain that 20 lbs back!  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2004, 12:51:14 PM »

Off to my sister's to spend the last day with my aunt, who leaves tomorrow to go back to California.  I may or may not be at chat.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 12:51:25 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2004, 12:53:38 PM »

Have a good time, George!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2004, 12:59:44 PM »

I love, for example, fresh peach pie with good vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Until we find the pie, try one of these:

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2004, 01:02:01 PM »

There are advantages to shopping in stores which have good customer service policies. (Dah!) I bought some lovely flowers yesterday. When I put them in the vase I noticed that a couple were starting to droop. I was hoping that the fresh water would liven them up. No such luck. Flowers which should have lasted 4 or 5 days were dead today. So I went back to the store with my bill (the flowers were already in the garbage) and told them the whole sad story. Not only did they tell me to pick out a fresh bouquet, but they let me have a slightly more expensive one at no extra charge.

Jason

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2004, 01:02:16 PM »

Noel: Yes, Bruce is leaving the HAIRSPRAY tour to come to Broadway at the end of Michael McKean's run.

Robin: I got the DVD box set of "Wonder Woman" just last week and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. "Wummer Woman," as I apparently referred to her as a child, was my favorite show for a long time (until the Bionic Woman and $6 Million Man came along--and the Incredible Hulk) and watching it now just brings me the greatest joy imaginable. The writing and acting was awful, but it was just so much fun. And let's face it (and I hope no one finds this offensive), Lynda Carter was one badass babe! I can't imagine seeing anyone else in that bustier and can we talk about those boots? She had legs that wouldn't quit! Yes, I think it's safe to say that Wonder Woman is my favorite superhero of all time, partially due to the loveliness of a certain Ms. Lynda Carter and her gorgeous blue eyes.

Panni

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2004, 01:03:10 PM »

You are a cruel man, derBrucer!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2004, 01:03:14 PM »

Nope, but you can buy them in the frozen section. :)

Frozen - ugh!

I want my food fresh.

I want fresh killed tofu in my "ain't-got-no-chicken-in-it "pot pie.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2004, 01:05:40 PM »

You are a cruel man, derBrucer!

Crueler yet:

Szerbo

A pastry made famous by Gerbeaud, the legendary Hungarian czukrazda (confectionery). 4 layers made with apricot and walnut fillings and a rich chocolate icing on top.

Panni

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2004, 01:07:57 PM »

The first time I lived in LA, our street was the "used to live here street." Across the street used to live (but no longer did) Dennis Weaver. Next door used to live Wummer Woman, herself, Lynda Carter. Ours was a corner house and around the corner used to be the ranch of Clark Gable (all the streets in that section were named for Gone With the Wind places of characters.) A few houses up the street was - and still is - the Jackson family compound. The End.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2004, 01:08:31 PM »

And, now, cruelest!

Deep Dish Peach Praline Pie  

Rich, classic flavors come together in this extravagant recipe.

Golden ripe peach slices, supremely sweet and juicy. And that's only the filling. We fold and spoon it over a layer of rich, buttery caramel laced with chopped Southern pecans, and we top it with a classic golden streusel. Then we bake it in our cookie-crumb crust until it's bubbly and wonderful.

I'm sure you can find your own vanilla ice cream for toppers.

der Brucer (helping Panni get the weight to pull)

Panni

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2004, 01:09:08 PM »

That's verging on sadistic, dB!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2004, 01:12:16 PM »

... Lynda Carter was one badass babe! I can't imagine seeing anyone else in that bustier and can we talk about those boots? She had legs that wouldn't quit! Yes, I think it's safe to say that Wonder Woman is my favorite superhero of all time, partially due to the loveliness of a certain Ms. Lynda Carter and her gorgeous blue eyes.

You took time to notice her eyes?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2004, 01:17:04 PM »

Across the street used to live (but no longer did) Dennis Weaver. /quote]

He died?

Panni

« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »

Gerbeaud, by the way, is one of the great coffee houses of Europe. The Communists changed the name because the French Gerbeaud was thought to be too bourgeois a moniker. But no self-respecting Hungarian took that seriously. You'd get in a cab and say "Gerbeaud" and were taken there no questions asked, even though the sign outside was the name of some greasy Stalinist hero.
Now Gerbeaud is Gerbeaud once again and all is well with that tiny part of the world.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 01:23:56 PM by Panni »

Jason

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2004, 01:23:59 PM »

You took time to notice her eyes?

Skammen! How could you miss them?

Panni

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2004, 01:26:48 PM »

That's verging on sadistic, dB!

That was actually referring to the Gerbeaud goodies. I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Danise

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2004, 01:31:28 PM »

Drool, I've heard, is not good for computer equipment.  If it breaks I would send der Brucer the bill!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2004, 01:38:21 PM »

... I got the DVD box set of "Wonder Woman" just last week and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. "Wummer Woman," as I apparently referred to her as a child, was my favorite show for a long time (until the Bionic Woman and $6 Million Man came along--and the Incredible Hulk) and watching it now just brings me the greatest joy imaginable.

Well it seems Wummer Woman's next outing is a film called "The Creature of the Sunny Side Up Trailer Park" (2004) directed by Chrisopher Coppola (you know the clan) and written by his wife.

Poor Bionic Women seems to have a career in a tail-spin.
The Ford commercials weren't too bad, but her currrent pitches for Sleep Number Beds are painful (and judging from her wrinkles, painful for her as well).

Almost reminds me of poor Betty Hutton.

der Brucer

td

• td
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2004, 01:55:19 PM »

I've just gotta add that the future Mrs. Jeff Goldblum is indeed one CLASSY lady.
I picked up the packet of DVD liners which Jeff was signing for me from the stage door man, and on the lower right hand corner was this little note:

FOR TONY - Such a pleasure to meet you (+ sing with you!) - Catherine Wreford

Now, I'm all verklempt and now, of course I can't throw the envelope into the trash!  

DerBrucer - if you want to be truly sadistic, you have to post pics of steaming cups of Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha Grandes. . . .and other assorted coffee beverages.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2004, 01:59:12 PM »

DR Jane, I think I definitely enjoyed MONK more than you did. The extent of Monk's bipolar disorder is still being revealed now even three years into his saga. The fact that he was willing to go on a date was the tiniest of baby steps toward some stability in his life. She certainly wasn't the woman to bring it to him, but it's a start. I'll be interested to see how open the writers of the show will be for further exploration. I mean, he can't recover or there would be no show, but experimenting with getting back to a semi-normal life, even for him, is interesting to me.

I also think Tony Shahloub and Ted Levine are terrific actors and can make even weak material interesting and fun.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 02:04:27 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2004, 02:03:15 PM »

Thoroughly enjoyed MURDER MY SWEET this afternoon, and after it was over, I started it up again to listen to the commentary. Don't know where my DVD travels will take me later this afternoon and tonight.

Robin

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2004, 02:04:18 PM »

Poor Bionic Women seems to have a career in a tail-spin.

She was an early contender for the role of Katherine Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager, which went to Genvieve Bujold.  And then, when she stalked off of the set, it went to Kate Mulgrew.

Are The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman coming to deeveedee anytime soon?

And howsabout Honey West?  I wanted to grow up to be Honey West.  Alas, it didn't quite work out that way....
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2004, 02:05:54 PM »

I've been watching the first season of Lost in Space on deeveedee.  The first dozen or so episodes are terrific, but the series went downhill really fast...!

And someone at CBS really like Bernard Herrmann's music.  I recognized some theremin stuff from The Day the Earth Stood Still, as well as some cues from Journey to the Center of the Earth and, I believe, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 02:41:12 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jason

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2004, 02:09:02 PM »

I think they should create The Further Adventures of Wonder Woman. It's what the world needs right now. OK...well, it's what I need right now.

I can't wait for Season Two to be released, and they really need to get on the ball with releasing The Bionic Woman, The $6 Million Man and Hart to Hart on DVD.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2004, 02:11:18 PM »

Hello, all!  The Bitch is Back!  I hope everyone is well.  I got to Penn Station around 2:00, and I've been doing two weeks' worth of laundry in the basement as I unpack.

I think the production at Goodspeed is going to get really good reviews, especially for Noah Racey as Charley:  a total star turn.  He's charming, amazingly talented, and the three preview audiences I saw loved everything he did, from the dancing to the sing-along of "Once In Love With Amy" to all the slapstick and pratfalls.  He can do no wrong from the first scene to the finale, and he really deserves the ovations.  The rest of the cast is very good (maybe one exception, who could be much better), but Noah is a genuine find.  And a really good guy, to boot!  As for my 4-week stay in East Haddam, I loved it.  I had a great suite in a house built in 1832, which I shared with Richard Pilbrow the lighting designer, the costumer, and three of the actors, and the music staff is excellent and fun to work with.

More to follow.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2004, 02:11:31 PM »

Here's the rundown for the next BROADWAY'S LOST TREASURES. Dispppointing in that there's still no CHORUS LINE, COCO, DREAMGIRLS, I DO! I DO!, or PURLIE.

The song list for the special follows:
•"The Leads"
Title song from Anything Goes performed by Patti LuPone & company
A medley of songs from Sweet Charity performed by Juliet Prowse and Chita Rivera
"Bosom Buddies" from Mame performed by Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur
"I Believe in You" from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying performed by Robert Morse
"The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha performed by Richard Kiley

•"Revivals and Record Breakers"
"We Are What We Are"  and "I Am What I Am" from La Cage aux Folles performed by George Hearn and Les Cagelles
"At the End of the Day" and "One Day More" from Les Misérables  performed by Colm Wilkinson and the company
"You'll Never Walk Alone" from Carousel performed by Shirley Verrett the company
"All I Care About is Love" from Chicago performed by Jerry Orbach and company

•"All Singing!  All Dancing!"
"The Ladies Who Sing," from Ain't Misbehavin' performed by Nell Carter and company
"We'll Take a Glass Together" from Grand Hotel performed by Michael Jeter and Brent Barrett
"That's How You Jam" from Jelly's Last Jam performed by Gregory Hines and company
"Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat" from Guys and Dolls performed by Walter Bobbie and company

Danise

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2004, 02:20:48 PM »

Welcome back, Elmore!

I think I said this one time before but I remember seeing a movie before LIS came on about some space aliens that got control over two robots that were in a lab.  I seem to remember the robots names where "He" and "She" or "Him" and "Her" something male/female.  Anyway, I can't remember very much but a big hairy hand that pushed a button on the space ship and the robots would go mad and kill whoever was in the room with them. At other times they were perfectly fine.

I remember siting on my Mothers lap when LIS came on and being very frightened of the robot.  I wasn't allowed to see LIS until I was in my teens and came across it in re-runs.  

Does anyone know what movie I saw that scared me so badly?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2004, 02:24:16 PM »

Sorry for being errant and truant yesterday, but my mom had a lot of work to do and she made me help her. She made me work! Can you believe this???  ;)

She's off doing some more work right now and I'm left at home watching the Arizona Diamondbacks get clobbered by the San Francisco Something-or-Others. Well, they're not quite clobbered yet, but there's still time.

Dance pants that don't fit me (why I have these is kind of a mystery because I can't dance, so don't ask me), a shirt that I think belongs to my mom, a sparkly fake diamond hair clip, my ever-present saddle shoes, and a little red riding hood cape (even though it's 104 degrees). And of course, my favorite accessory, a Cherry Coke.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up