Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZIP AND THE ZING  (Read 22444 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE ZIP AND THE ZING
« on: July 12, 2004, 12:00:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've zipped through the notes, you've zinged through the notes, and therefore it is time for you to post until the zippy and zingy cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 01:08:21 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE ZIP AND THE ZING
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 12:32:43 AM »

I don't have any zing right now.  My zip is stuck.

Time to wuss.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 01:08:16 AM »

I love so many of the S & J songs. "110" is still my favourite of their scores.  So many of the "dropped" songs are terrific and I enjoy not only the BK collection  but also the ones on "The Show Goes On".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 04:34:19 AM »

I too love so many of the S&J songs, but I have to say that my favorite of all is 110's "Is It Really Me?" I saw The Fantasticks with my high school class and from that evening on "Try To Remember" and "Soon It's Gonna Rain" have been very important. From Celebration, I must single out (make that double out) the title song and "Not My Problem."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 05:48:53 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 05:20:55 AM »

And speaking of "Celebration," the "savour each sensation" lyric in that song is pure joy. In "Music of the Night," on the other hand, the same lyric is, IMO, highfalutin (and obviously not as original as its lyricist, and singers, would have us believe).

Ben

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 05:26:07 AM »

As was mentioned yesterday, Burke Moses is, indeed, in The Frogs, unlike Mr. Kattan.

Warning, long post ahead:

I saw The Frogs Friday evening. It's a mixed bag. While I'm always glad to see Sondheim, this is not vintage or great Sondheim. Perhaps part of the problem will be fixed by the replacement of Mr. Kattan. He just didn't work in the role of Xanthias (sp) the slave. Not that there is ANYTHING WRONG with being a sketch comic, but I don't think you can throw a sketch comic into a production with solid theatre performers and have him come out looking good. He was the weakest link in the show. His singing was adequate (although he doesn't have much to sing) and there wasn't a great deal of chemistry between him and Lane. He also came off as the gayest slave this side of Athens. Which is fine, except in Act Two he is supposed to be hot for an Amazon Queen.

Most of the first act dragged. There are two good numbers, Invocation and Instructions to the Audience(which many people may be familiar with) and a quite nice number called Adriadne, a number which Nathan Lane sings to his late wife. The score is somewhat different from the recording that came out (I think it was released last year) paired with Evening Primrose. The other number in Act One that I liked was Dress Big. It's not great but it was given a very good performance from the aforementioned Burke Moses. He's excellent in the small role (funny since he's so literally big) of Herakles.

The show gets much better in Act Two when we get the debate between Shakespeare and Shaw. Daniel Davis plays Shaw and I didn't recognize him until I checked the program after the performance. He was wonderful.  Davis may be best known to many people as the Butler from Fran Dreschers' television show, The Nanny. I also saw him in Talking Heads off-Broadway last year. The man is a wonderful, talented actor. Michael Siberry who plays Shakespeare is also excellent.

I'm not sure the show will hold up as a long-standing musical theatre piece. It feels like a "piece of its time" if that makes any sense. While I certainly have no problem with the "tone" of the political arguments expressed in the show, and while they could be applied to most politicians at some point in history, much of the banter seems so current that when the show and the current political crises (plural of crisis although it just doesn't look correct in print) have passed, I don't know if the show will seem so funny. The debate between Shaw and Shakespeare (with some Dionysus thrown in), though, is quite wonderful and worth listening to on its own.

As I mentioned, there is nothing outstanding in the score. As with Bounce, there were moments when I said to myself, "Self" I said, there are strains of many other Sondheim shows here and there, Company, Forum. That being said, if there is a recording of the show, I will most likely purchase it, since I am so fond of Mr. Sondheim's work in general. I would want this piece for my collection.

All that being said, DR Matt H., I would recommend getting a ticket for the show if you can. Especially now that Roger Bart is replacing Chris Kattan. It could be a whole new first act with him playing Xanthias. Even if Equity goes on strike this week, Frogs won't be affected because it operates under a LORT contract, as does Assassins (though that's closing on Sunday), After the Fall and Sight Unseen. It's also been reported in the paper today that Boy From Oz signed a separate new contract with Equity so that if they strike, BFO will stay open working under the new contract. The other Broadway producers, apparently, have signed a letter saying that they will NOT do what BFO did. They will negotiate as a single unit and not create separate contracts for each show, something that Equity seems to be willing to do.

That's it for The Frogs.

I'll be back.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 05:30:10 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 05:29:25 AM »

There is so much to love in Jones and Schmidt. I think my favorite though, is Simple Little Things from 110 in the Shade. I also love A Man and a Woman. It held particular resonance for me many years ago during a break up when I suddenly heard the song in a whole new way. Ever since, it has become a favorite.

Also, as BK mentioned, I'm very fond of I'm Glad to See You Got What You Want from Celebration.

Au revoir again, mes amis.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 05:34:05 AM »

Oh, I forgot a very important thing.

WELCOME BACK MR. LARRY MOORE!!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 05:34:41 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 05:36:23 AM »

Thanks, Ben. As always, I appreciated and enjoyed your report.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 05:52:22 AM »

Mr. Schmidt and Mr. Jones:

I Can See It
Metaphor
It Depends On What You Pay
The Rape Ballet
They Were You
This Plum Is Too Ripe
Soon It's Gonna Rain
You're Not Fooling Me
Inside My Head
Wonderful Music
Is It Really Me?
I Love My Wife
The Honeymoon Is Over
Celebration
I'm Glad To See You Got What You Want
The Race of the Lexington I.R.T.
The Holy Man and the New Yorker

Does no one but me notice that their Poker Polka has the same melody as Pirelli's Miracle Elixer from Sweeney Todd?  The Polka came first!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 05:58:03 AM »

In addition to the score from THE FANTASTICKS (of course) I love the title song from ROADSIDE, especially as recorded by Guy Haines.  The tempo they do it in on the OOBC (and in the production I saw) is all wrong.  And I love the songs I've heard from GROVER'S CORNER.  Several of them were sung in THE SHOW GOES ON but weren't included on the recording thanks to the Wilder estate (who must have forgotten how much money they made from that Jerry Herman show).  But my favorite of all is "The Room Is Filled With You".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 06:24:33 AM »

Unquestionably my favorite J&S score is I DO! I DO! and my favorite song is "What Is a Woman." Naturally, there is much to love in THE FANTASTICKS, 110 IN THE SHADE, and CELEBRATION. One of these days I'd love to hear the score of GROVERS CORNERS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 06:25:36 AM »

Thank you for the recommendation of THE FROGS, DR Ben. My traveling companions got back from the Bahamas last night oblivious to the ASSASSINS situation, so I'll hit them with the news and suggestions for a replacement show today.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 06:26:08 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 06:28:12 AM »

I meant to mention that when I applied to the ROundabout for a refund on my ASSASSINS tickets, I included a long, long letter expressing my disappointment and frustration in waiting so many years to see a Broadway production of this landmark show and have tickets booked, only to have them yanked away at the last minute.

Their response?

"We're disappointed, too."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 06:28:56 AM by Matt H. »

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 06:28:18 AM »

The first Bway musical my parents ever saw was "I Do, I Do", though I cant' sesm to remember who was in it when they saw it.  I know it wasn't Martin or Preston.  Anyway, my mom always seems to melt when she hears "My Cup Runneth Over".  Me, on the other hand, I find the black humor of "A Wonderful Way to Die" very entertaining and fun to perform (from The Bone Room).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2004, 06:28:30 AM »

Good morning, all!  Chat was a hoot last evening, and I was thrilled to make it the first thing on my return agenda.  I've got my fingers crossed for BK's casting session, and thanks to DRBen's report on THE FROGS, I see that Burke Moses is indeed occupied.

When Cincinnati's Playhouse in the Park first began, it was run by Word Baker, original director of THE FANTASTICKS, who would reproduce the Sullivan Street production with New York cast replacements.  I knew nothing about Jones and Schmidt, but I was mad for THREEPENNY OPERA, which Word did at the Playhouse in the summer of 1964 the year I finished high school, and I made my first trek to the Playhouse to catch it.  My memory is that Estelle Parsons was the Mrs Peachum, the Peachum was the actor who later did the same role in a different translation with Raul Julia and Ellen Greene at Lincoln Center, and the Polly Peachum was Alice Cannon, who played the Maid in THE MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF.   In our programs there was a flyer announcing the summer season would end with a return of THE FANTASTICKS.  As if I cared!

The Cincinnati Enquirer gave THE FANTASTICKS such a rave that I decided I did care, and the same friends and I treked back to the Playhouse to catch it.  Alice Cannon was Louisa, Ty McConnell from the THREEPENNY gang was Matt, and another gang member whose name I've forgotten but shouldn't have was El Gallo.  At intermission I bought the cast album, and when I got home that night, around midnight, I played the album through twice weeping over the beauty of the show.  A week later I went to college, within six months I owned a vocal score, and I ran to rehearsal rooms whenever I could to play through the piece.  That was forty years ago next month, and every time I hear or see THE FANTASTICKS, I'm 17 again.

Since then, thanks to Dear Friend BK, I've been lucky to know and to have worked with Harvey and Tom.  I love them both and nearly everything they've written.  Since FANTASTICKS, 110 IN THE SHADE (I love the original cast album a lot but I'm grateful for John Yap's complete recording of the score to have all the music in the original score ), and I DO, I DO are so full of wonderful songs, let me pick a few less known.

Sweet River & Just Fine (cut from 110):  I love the one for its sadness over high expectations lost and the other for its attempt by two closed persons attracted to each other to dance around the very issue of attraction
Roadside:  BK's recording on UNSUNG MUSICALS 2 is truly beautiful, simple and
The Room Is Filled With You (COLETTE COLLAGE): powerful nostalgia generated between Harvey's haunting melody and Tom's moving phrases.

Dear Friend BK, give Harvey and Tom my love tonight!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2004, 06:32:40 AM »

The first Bway musical my parents ever saw was "I Do, I Do", though I cant' sesm to remember who was in it when they saw it.  I know it wasn't Martin or Preston.  Anyway, my mom always seems to melt when she hears "My Cup Runneth Over".  Me, on the other hand, I find the black humor of "A Wonderful Way to Die" very entertaining and fun to perform (from The Bone Room).

Well, Carol Lawrence and Gordon MacRae played matinees and later took over the run when Martin and Preston left. Maybe you saw them?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2004, 06:36:12 AM »

Re Jones & Schmidt, I had wanted to add that there were many beautiful things in their score for MIRETTE at Goodspeed in 1998, but their work was sabotaged by director Andre Ernotte, an evil man now dead who called them "has-beens" and so clearly hated their work that I don't know why the jerk ever wanted to do a show with them, and by a book writer who could have fixed several book problems and instead sat around Goodspeed complaining of boredom.  Our boys Tom and Harvey deserved a lot more than that!

Also, I realize it's around 10 years now since "Lost In Boston" appeared and "Sweet River" and "Just Fine" aren't so unknown.  My one regret with  the recording of "Flibbertygibbet" is that Harvey didn't speak the line "I'd like to see that" in his fantastick Texan accent!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 06:36:45 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2004, 06:44:02 AM »

DR Matt H re Roundabout's response.

Unfortunately, that's classic Roundabout. Unless you give them great amounts of money, they care little about the public and subscriber base who keep them alive.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2004, 07:16:01 AM »

I knew William E Lurie would be interested in this announcement I got from VARIETY. Perhaps others will be interested, too.

Warner Home Video will release all three "That's Entertainment!" films on DVD for the first time in a four-disc "Complete Collection" on Oct. 12.
There will be more than five hours of bonus features accompanying the set of docus, which celebrate the golden age of musicals and the fabled years at MGM from 1929-58 with film highlights and interviews.

Discs offer fully remastered versions of the pics, with audio converted to Dolby Digital 5.1.

The first movie was released in 1974 as part of the celebration of MGM's 50th anniversary. A second movie was produced in 1976, followed in 1994 by "That's Entertainment! III," a limited theatricaltheatrical and primarily laserdisc and videocassette release.

The fourth disc of bonus features, called "That's Entertainment: Treasures From the Vault," includes a new half-hour docudocu called "The Masters of the Musical" with Ann Miller, Jane Powell, Angela Lansbury; several never-before-seen deleted musical numbers; and footage from the original premiere of "That's Entertainment!" in Beverly Hills with Daily Variety's Army ArcherdArmy Archerd as master of ceremonies.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2004, 07:35:34 AM »

Thanks Matt.  I knew they were promised for later this year but had been waiting for the announcement of the exact date.

I posted the following on the Board for The Broadway Radio Show but realized that not that many DRs read anything but the main board:

Am I the only one who has problems listening to the Broadway Radio Show?  This happens on both the computer at the office and the computer at home.  First of all, I have to manually go from song to song.  When one song ends it freezes and I have to click the arrow for the next track.   Secondly, I can't remember the last time I was able to get through an entire show without being "disconnected" at least once.  Third, in most shows, there is at least one "clip" that will not play.  I downloaded the upgraded version of RealPlayer but that didn't help.  How can this be fixed.  I realize we will probably never get the archive of old shows we were promised, but at least I'd like to be able to listen to the current shows without these problems.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2004, 07:46:54 AM »

WEL, I don't have most of the problems you mention in your post, but I have had the problem where at least one song won't play. This week it wast the Elaine Stritch number from Goldilocks. Otherwise, I have no problem listening to the show. It does take time to move from song to song but I always get the entire show and I haven't been disconnected, either at home or the office (I usually listen to the show at the office since it's a high speed connection).

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2004, 07:50:25 AM »

I knew Warnerws was going to release the original THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT, but somewhere I must have been asleep when the news was released that all three of the TE features were being mastered for DVD. It was very happy news in my house this morning.

I'd like THAT'S DANCING, too, but I'm wondering if the fact that Fox musicals are a part of that movie are keeping Warners from being able to release it, too. Just wondering.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2004, 08:07:45 AM »

Well, well, well (that's 3 well's). Mr. Edward Seckerson of Stage and Screen on BBC Radio 3 seems to know of Mr. Kimmel (or at least his CDs). His show today is "Lost and Found". He's using chunks from Sherry and also all of these songs from Lost in Boston

Lost in Boston
Track 8 - Like Everybody Else, from West Side Story (Bernstein + Sondheim)
Performed by Judy Malloy, Richard Roland, Sal Viviano
Track 15 - If You Leave Me Now, from The Happy Time (Kander and Ebb)
Performed by Michael Rupert
Track 10 - Ten Percent from Chicago (Kander and Ebb) performed by Harry Groener
Track 3 – Sweetriver, from 110 In the Shade (Schmidt and Jones) performed by Sally Mayes
Track 12 - Tick Tock Goes the Clock, from Promises, Promises (Burt Bacharach + Hal David)
Performed by Lisa Mayer, Judy Malloy, Debbie Pavelka, Alex Rybeck (piano and arr)
Track 5 - Where Do I Go From Here? From Fiorello! (Bock and Harnick) performed by Liz Callaway
Track 16 - Take It In Your Stride, from Annie Get Your Gun (Irving Berlin) performed by Liz Larsen

and a couple of tracks from

Hello Dolly! (Jerry Herman)
Broadway Deluxe Collector’s Edition
Track 18 - Love, Look In My Window, performed by Ethel Merman (1970)
Track 19 – World, Take Me Back, performed by Ethel Merman (1970)
RCA 82876 51431 2

The show is being streamed live right now. It runs from 11am-Noon EST. You can go back and listen anytime after that for one week by clicking the link and following the directions to listen (you need Real Player on your system).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/stageandscreen/pip/tl879/

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2004, 08:12:43 AM »

Oh......when the scores of shows are so tied to their origin...they are that perfect...it is hard to choose and single song.

One on DRNOEL's list....It Depends on What You Pay is also a favorite of mine.

But I think My Cup Runneth Over (it's even beautiful when Connie Francis sings it) and Soon It's Gonna Rain take the S/J honors for me.

But - since I love THE RAINMAKER - and since I have never seen a performance of 110 IN THE SHADE, but the LP makes the characters come alive for me - I have to choose that.  I will also say that MANY years ago, my friend Vickie and I won the county talent show doing LITTLE RED HAT - and so that is pretty close to the top my list as well!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2004, 08:13:51 AM »

Elmore - I cannot find my Where's Charley program ANYWHERE....  I will keep looking.  Sorry...I have looked everywhere!  Well, everywhere but where it is, obviously.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2004, 08:18:25 AM »

Elmore - I cannot find my Where's Charley program ANYWHERE....  I will keep looking.  Sorry...I have looked everywhere!  Well, everywhere but where it is, obviously.

DRJRand, if you find it, that would be wonderful, but I beg you not to put yourself out.  My memories of the production are quite vivid, designed by the Eckarts and choreographed by Agnes De Mille (I think),  but I have next to no memory of the cast or costume designer!

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2004, 08:29:57 AM »

DRJRand, if you find it, that would be wonderful, but I beg you not to put yourself out.  My memories of the production are quite vivid, designed by the Eckarts and choreographed by Agnes De Mille (I think),  but I have next to no memory of the cast or costume designer!

Are you fellas talking about the original Ral Bolger/Broadway production of WHERE'S CHARLEY? I have a Playbill if that's any help. Let me know if I can look up something on it for you.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

Thanks Ben.  I assume the Stritch is Clip 13 which is also the track thast gives me the message "can't find".  I'm not sure if it is totally disconnecting me or just that track.  I also discovered that if I wait at least a minute or two between tracks it will eventually play the next automatically, but that seems like an awful lot of time to have to wait between every song.  This never happened on the old site or originally on the new site, but has been happening for several months.  It makes what should be a highly entertaining experience into a frustrating one.  Donald goes to a lot of work preparing these programs, and maybe it is time to find a different way other than Realplayer to play them.  As I said, this happens on both my home and office computer, each with a different version of Realplayer, but both connected by highspeed DSL.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2004, 08:38:02 AM »

Good morning. I'm having a great deal  of trouble with the Internet today -- actually for the past week. Anything I do seems only to be a temporary fix. Usually as I'm writing, it's a fun break to pop in, read the posts, post and then resume writing. But as it now often takes 10 minutes of cursing and frustration to do that, it takes away my writing energy, which I need to conserve. I have a DEADLINE looming. ...Which is a long-winded explanation of why I won't be posting much today. I'm sure you'll muddle through without me, dear hainsies and kimlets. Will miss you all. Laters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up