Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZIP AND THE ZING  (Read 22503 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE ZIP AND THE ZING
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2004, 12:16:45 PM »

I think your comments are very true, very apt.

The real reason Equity won't handle this by having its tours strike is that, out in tour towns, when a show's not playing, people don't miss it.

Furthermore, there's Equity's biggest fear: that people aren't able to tell the difference between and Equity and a non-Equity tour.  This is the only excuse for all the energy Equity puts in to bad-mouthing non-Eq tours out there.

Well... How timely... I was just catching up on my newspapers via the net, and came across this article from yesterday's Washington Post:

Casting Off Equity

*I was going to post excerpts, but I can later is any DRs are interested.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2004, 12:17:33 PM »

Page Three Pas de Trois!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2004, 12:22:35 PM »

I don't think Marin is singing tonight.  Lesley Anne will definitely be there and she's singing Sweet River according to Harvey.  

Love Jack Fletcher - he was in my favorite of the Julius Monk revues.

Finally getting some decent cast suggestions, so we'll be auditioning at least six or seven people tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2004, 12:25:24 PM »

As Lesley Anne said in Victor/Victoria:  See ya in choich!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2004, 12:28:14 PM »

Actress Isabel Sanford passed away Friday. I just adored her!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2004, 12:29:24 PM »

I have been busy running errands in the heat and now I am cranky. Just thought you'd all like to know.

Tomorrow I am taking a morning off and going for a walk with a friend. Maybe I'll have a photo to share.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2004, 12:30:10 PM »

I am always so happy to see TV people do something "outside" their characters.  And I am happy to hear about Daniel Davis.  I can't watch 'The Nanny' much either - mostly because the writing is so bad....not as bad as 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' which has a similar butler character played very badly!

Anyway - when we saw a touring GREASE some years ago, and Sally Struthers played Miss Lynch.  She came out at 8 p.m. and started talking, and was blistering to a few people who were coming in late.....in character of course....then she came down in the audience and walked between the first two rows - a good trick for someone as hefty as Sally - talking all the way as though we were students back for the Rydell High Reunion....and actually the show was never as funny as her opening bit.  We met her afterwards and she was sweet and signed autographs and answered questions....  Donny Most was also in the production and was very nice afterwards, asking where he could find a golf course!  LOL.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2004, 12:35:56 PM »

All right, Jay, culture barometer and knower-of-all-things-Pasadenan.  BK & I were planning to break bread at Mario's next to the theatre tonight.  It's closed.  Any suggestions for something suitable close by?  Walking distance from the theatre as opposed to having to get in a car and drive and park twice.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2004, 12:41:32 PM »

To add a S&J song that hasn't been mentioned yet, from Celebration: "Not My Problem."  Cynical and sarcastic, and deliciously approaching evil (but in a noncommittal way).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2004, 12:43:42 PM »

Donny Most was also in the production and was very nice afterwards, asking where he could find a golf course!  LOL.

In 1988 (I think) I scored a production of STRIKE UP THE BAND for California Music Theatre, directed by a dreadful man, Gary Something.  I hope all his bad karma hit him between the eyes.  Tom Bosely was in it and very unsociable (maybe he wanted out), but Fay De Witt, Avery Schreiber, and Donny Most were heaven to be around.  The show opened in Pasadena, but we rehearsed at the in the Mark Taper, as I recall.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2004, 12:43:53 PM »

In addition to the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT DVD set, on the same date (10/12) Warner Home Video is releasing a 2 disc set of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS.  What is little known is that MGM filmed two versions of this film... one in Full CinemaScope and the other in the old normal flat screen size for theatres not equipped for CinemaScope.  Apparently there are a lot of differences in the two, so this DVD set will have them both in addition to many extras.  And WHV also announced that it will be releasing THAT'S DANCIN' on DVD at a future date.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2004, 12:47:19 PM »

Equity's fear is not that people can't tell the difference between an Equity show and a non-Equity show.  It's that the non-Equity touring company is being mis-represented as being equivalent to the show that appeared on Broadway under an Equity contract...and  of losing control of a venue that rightfully ought to be under their domain.
Huh?  Say what?  "Under their domain?"  Since when has Equity produced shows?   Since when has Equity paid the property tax on a theater?  Or the upkeep?

Let's go for the metaphor: Unions are the Pigs in Animal Farm.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 12:49:36 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2004, 12:47:35 PM »

Does Donny Most sing well?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2004, 12:48:22 PM »

All right, Jay, culture barometer and knower-of-all-things-Pasadenan.  BK & I were planning to break bread at Mario's next to the theatre tonight.  It's closed.  Any suggestions for something suitable close by?  Walking distance from the theatre as opposed to having to get in a car and drive and park twice.

DR Jay is currently out running some errands.. He will be back shortly.  -And, actually, he will be picking me up for dinner later, and we shall be supping together tonight.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2004, 12:48:26 PM »

George I’m so glad you are a geek.  Thank you.  My older son might have been able to answer my question and I don’t think he is a geek-he dresses far to fashionably to be a geek.

SWW the old standard didn’t work last night.  Maybe it was the wine I had with the soup the night before.  Or maybe it was the fact that I actually slept Saturday night, something I didn’t do as well last night.

RLP do you mean the same Bruce Campbell who lives out my way?  Good choice.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2004, 12:49:30 PM »

What am I?  DR Jay's personal assistant now? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2004, 01:01:52 PM »

Donny Most sang a bit in GREASE - he played the DJ Vince Fontaine...and I don't remember that he was BAD.  But then....that number has a LOT of people singing in it.

WEL I am very excited to see the skinny 7B47B.....there is a LOT of difference between the two OKLAHOMA! productions.....it's kind of like seeing a Twilight Zone-alternate universe version of a favorite movie!

I wonder if they changed the dances for the skinny version, or just the camera angles?  I am intrigued!!!!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2004, 01:02:09 PM »

SOON IT’S GONNA RAIN, a song that brings back fond memories.

DearReaderLaura-GOOD VIBES ON THE ESCROW!  I will be watching for a photo tomorrow. :)      

Bruce, I’m not sure but I do recall hearing Donny Most sing once, when HAPPY DAYS was still on, and thinking he had a better voice than Anson Williams. :-\

I have people coming over tomorrow morning and must bake.  I tried a new peanut butter cookie recipe but with this cold I can’t tell if the cookies are good or not.  Maybe that means not.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2004, 01:11:30 PM »

Woody, I expect anti-union rhetoric from a Republican.  There are very few non-union actors who can make a living, let alone a life-long career at their profession.  There are considerable few who can probably do it in Equity.  But a lot more than who aren't in Equity and your chances are a heck of a lot better in a Union that will fight for a decent living wage and benefits and decent working conditions.

It's mind-boggling to me that people who love theatre and the arts don't support the rights of artists to have decent working conditions and decent living wage.  The abuses before Unions were legendary and if, in this political climate, Unions are neutered, the abuses will return.  They are already returning as the Unions have been weakened.

Do you really think that Michael Eisner, one individual, should make more in salary and options in one year than the entire WGA pension fund for all  its 8,000 members made the same year.  It happened one year.  Am I the only one who finds this monumentally apalling?  If artists' unions  are weakened, this sort of rich get richer, the poor get poorer mentality will only get worse.  

The middle class of every creative community I know...film, theatre, musicians, writers of all stripes... has been gutted and continues to erode.

If it happens to the Union artists, things will not improve for the non-union artists.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2004, 01:16:03 PM »

I am NOT opposed to unions, but I think that if Actors Equity were a BIT more cooperative in offering waivers now and then....actors wouldn't have to make a CHOICE between being in the Union and making a living today....

I don't have the answer, and the advertising of non-Union productions as "Broadway" is misleading....I don't know....I just don't know.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2004, 01:34:10 PM »

You're like me.  Get somewhere and park once is my style, too.

If you don't mind the walk of a few short blocks over to Lake Avenue, I recommend Smitty's Grill (American cuisine) or Celestino (Italian.)

If you're short of time, there are a fair number of fast food places on Lake as well.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2004, 01:36:08 PM »

No problems logging on this time. Lots earlier. When I have time I'll call Adelphia.
FS Pogue's post reminded me of Evening Star. Lovely song.

Jay

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2004, 01:36:10 PM »

What am I?  DR Jay's personal assistant now? ;)

And a mighty fine job of it you are doing!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2004, 01:36:23 PM »

Is there going to be a recording of the current production of THE FROGS?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2004, 01:39:49 PM »

If so, DRMATTH, I recommend Carol Channing and Harvey Fierstein.

Jay

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2004, 01:40:08 PM »

Smitty's Grill:  110 S. Lake Ave. (bet. Cordova & Green Sts.)
Pasadena (626) 792-9999

Celestino:  141 S. Lake Ave. (bet. Cordova & Green Sts.)
Pasadena (626) 795-4006

And I checked.  They both are open this evening.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2004, 01:41:52 PM »

DR Jay to the rescue!

Okay I biked again today.  Now I must try for pilates today too!

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2004, 01:44:37 PM »

Fay deWitt sings a delightful "Life Upon the Wicked Stage" on that 1962 Columbia studio cast recording of SHOW BOAT which I have always loved. It was my first recording of SHOW BOAT as a kid (even before getting the soundtrack, Lincoln Center. London, and eventually the 1946 revival recording), and it has always had a special place in my heart.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2004, 01:45:55 PM »

Well, as of this afternoon, I now have the complete set of (homemade) DVDs of the MISS MARPLE movies. Color me a very happy man indeed.

Thanks, WEL, for the info on THAT'S DANCING DVD. Yep, I knew about SEVEN BRIDES and the upcoming release.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2004, 01:47:03 PM »

The walk to Lake is a bit too long, I think.  I'm sure there's something close on Colorado, within a couple of blocks, at least that's my memory.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up