Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID EVENING  (Read 17196 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID EVENING
« on: July 13, 2004, 01:07:47 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about everything or at least all about Eve, and now you are ready to post until the splendidly splendid cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 12:01:06 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID EVENING
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 01:20:20 AM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was one-twenty in the morning.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 02:09:17 AM »

Well, it's two in the morn and I still can't sleep (some kind of sinus headache thing) - but I got to read about the splendid show and partay. Sounds like a wondeful evening - except for the nauseating food.
As for the TOD, I can't think about Japanese food at two in the morning. I usually reserve those thoughts for three in the morning. And I'm dearly hoping to be asleep by then. So I will chime in about that tomorrow - which is actually today.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 03:04:22 AM »

TOD:

I'm not a big fan of Japanese food, but Woody has some Chrysanthemum Tea he'd like me to try.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 05:02:26 AM »

Baritone Bryn Terfel is accompanied by pianist Malcolm Martineau in Dorothy Chandler Pavilion recital.
(Stefano Paltera / For The Times)

Note to DR Jay (the Barometer):

Your LA Times opined:

Shtick clouds Terfel's splendor
Repeated mannerisms pull focus from the baritone's fine voice.
By Mark Swed, Times Staff Writer

Jul 13 2004

Los Angeles Opera's announcement early this year that Bryn Terfel, the splendid and enormously personable Welsh baritone, would star in "Sweeney Todd" next season indicated just how serious the company had grown about attracting the world's most important singers.

When that announcement was followed by the news that DreamWorks, which holds the rights to the Sondheim show, had withdrawn it from the stage because a movie was in preparation, L.A. Opera responded by brilliantly pulling Verdi's "Falstaff" out of its hat for Terfel.

Falstaff happens to be one of the greatest roles in all opera, and if Terfel proved nothing else at his recital in the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on Sunday night, it was that he was born to sing it. But entertaining and vocally compelling as it was, the L.A. Opera recital came with a warning: Don't leave this singer to his own devices.

Although he began impressively enough with a group of Schumann songs, Terfel soon began to sink under the weight of his shtick.

Let it be said that he was in magnificent voice. From the very beginning, in Schumann's "Die Beiden Grenadiere" (The Two Grenadiers), which climaxes thrillingly with the composer's setting of the Marseillaise, he simply cut the large Pavilion down to size.

With what seemed effortless projection, he made every word of text expressive, whether he was booming or singing whisper soft. He proved, moreover, as comfortable onstage as any entertainer, delivering art songs, folk songs and novelty songs with equal panache.

But then again, the panache was always the same. Terfel has his tricks, and they work. He loves to do a number with epilogues: a knowing grimace while his accommodating pianist, Malcolm Martineau, lingers on a final passage or chord. He loves to wow listeners with his ferocious power and then scale his imposing voice down to a barely audible coo. It's quite a feat, because even at the threshold of hearing, you get every word and the tone remains a marvel. The only problem is that, repeated over and over again, the effect can be sappy or even maudlin. It's one thing to hear this in Schumann and another in "Danny Boy."

Unfortunately, there was a lot more "Danny Boy" and its like than Schumann on Sunday. Terfel can be very funny in cute songs such as Peter Warlock's "Captain Stratton's Fancy." He loves nothing more than a double entendre. But when he found a hundred ways to wink in Benjamin Britten's "The Foggy, Foggy Dew," I kept imagining the composer responding with a hundred ways to wince.

In three numbers from Aaron Copland's "Old American Songs," Terfel's fussiness proved musically destructive. How majestically he might have sung "At the River" had he not restlessly (and cheaply) changed his dynamics every two seconds, had Martineau set the proper oracular tone and stuck with it, Copland style, instead of anticipating Terfel's every dynamic whim.

For one encore, Terfel became, for a moment, Mozart's Don Giovanni, wandering through the audience serenading the ladies, throwing them flowers and high-fiving his pianist when he was finished.

In a well-directed production of Mozart's opera, Terfel can be a devastatingly effective Don. On this occasion, he might as well have been auditioning for Vegas.

Bring Terfel on for "Falstaff." By all means. But let's hope L.A. Opera watches him like a hawk.

Are these fair impressions?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 05:50:35 AM »

TD, Good thoughts, wishes, and vibes directed your way.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 06:17:01 AM »

Good morning, all!  It sounds like Harvey and Tom had a great success last evening, and I'm happy for both of them.  Dear Friend BK, were there any surprises on the program?  What material was performed? Who was involved besides Leslie Ann Warren?  I've known Kevin Bailey since "Mirette"; his partner Jim Mellon was the leading man.

After a lot of questions, some answers on cuisine.  I'm not a fan of Japanese food, but I do like tempura and that's about it.  As for Chinese, I like too many dishes, but I prefer shrimp or scallops to beef or pork.  Last night I had sha-cha shrimp, whatever or whoever sha-cha was.  Isn't that a character in GREASE?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 06:17:28 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 06:18:08 AM »

I like most Japanese food.  I think shushi makes a great appetizer but I can't make a meal of it like some people can.

BK - Did Jones and Schmidt ever do "The Show Goes On" in LA or was it only done in NY?

I finally listened to the new CD of Judy Holliday in HOT SPOT and I have to say it is the worst quality "private recording" I have ever heard.  Unlike most of them which were made through the theatre's sound system, this was made with a portable cassette recorder from someone in the audience.  All the lyrics are mumbled and it sounds like the orchestra is in an echo chamber.  It's impossible to judge the score itself.  A few of the songs were recorded by BK on "Hey Love", a Mary Rodgers revue, and they all sound much better there.  The best song in the score (the Sondheim one "Don't Laugh") hadn't been added to the score when the tape was made but is included in a commercial recording by Phyllis Newman.  I'd love to here Judy Holliday do it, but will never get the chance.  There is one song I know I have heard (it's not in "Hey Love") called "I Think The World of You" but I don't know where I heard it.  The CD ends with a demo by Rodgers and Charnin.  It includes mostly cut songs and none of them are any good.  However there is one couplet I find worth repeating:
   Communisim is a headache
   Democracy is the Buffrin
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 06:19:09 AM »

I enjoy most Japanese food. Tempura and black cod are favorite dishes. There's a Japanese restaurant in a dreary strip mall in a Toronto suburb that always receives outstanding reviews for its seasonal menus. I'm hoping to get there one day:

http://www.kaiseki.ca/kaiseki.html

Panni

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 06:47:43 AM »

Well, it's finally morning, thank goodness. I got exactly one hour's sleep. And may I say I feel like sh-t. Now the self-discipline comes into play... I must NOT go back to bed (have just come back from the park with the Wonderdog). Must take an abbreviated walk - can't deal with the whole thing - to wake up the old brain, then shower, then breakfast and then write and write and write. I'm putting it down here for the world (well, the HHW world) to see -- so that if I don't do just this, I'll be ashamed - yes, mortified - and will have to wear a Skammen Cap and sit in the corner. :P
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 06:50:46 AM by Panni »

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 06:48:06 AM »

Favorite Chinese:  Moo Goo Gai Pan

Favorite Japanese:  Shrimp or Chicken Tempura.  I used to love Sushi, developed an aversion to it (long story) and am starting to like it again.

I tried uploading my picture to my profile - couldn't do it - it said I needed to resize.  Can anyone tell me how to do that?  Thanks

Jason

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 06:54:04 AM »

I have a sore throat and an elongated, swollen uvula and it's making me grumpy. I can deal with the sore throat--it's just the weather that's causing that--but the uvula is bothering me. It's laying across the back of my tongue, which makes me sort of gag--especially when I speak, which is bad news since I'm answering phones all day. This has happened before, and it always goes away after a day or two, but what a pain in the rear.

I love, love, love teriyaki anything, but especially chicken. And I love, love, love the chicken/steak/shrimp/fried rice combo at Benihana. YUM! But you always walk out of those places smelling like a hibachi. That's the only drawback, IMHO.

Jason

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 06:55:10 AM »

mrkdl: What photo program do you have on your computer? Photoshop? PaintPro?

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 07:12:35 AM »

Love sweet and sour pork or chicken! As for Japanese I love most sushis, particularly the eel. There are a many other Japanese dishes I like but don't have a clue as to the names of them.

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 07:13:55 AM »

Good vibrations coming TDs way!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)   8)   [/move]

Hope they are effective!

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 07:33:48 AM »

sushi, sushi, sushi!
sashimi, sashimi, sashimi!

All good; unfortunately, those pesky kosher laws get in the way of my ever sampling the more "interesting" dishes (eel, squid, etc). Give me a good tuna roll, though, and I'm on cloud nine. Back in the day, I was a regular at a restaurant sushi bar where the chef would simply prepare what was good that day for me. One day, I walked in, and he simply said "Tuna. You want the tuna," and proceeded to lay down heaven on rice. I'll never find the words to describe that meal, but oh, was that lovely.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Schmidt & Jones in "The Show Goes On" (an evening as delightful as that sushi meal), and meeting Jones at Pamela Myers's cabaret show at the late, lamented Eighty-Eights. Charming, charming, charming man. Myers performed "The Honeymoon is Over" from "I Do, I Do" and I remember directing my applause alternatively between her and an abashed Jones.

Now, if only they'd release "Celebration" on CD...

Ben

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2004, 07:35:32 AM »

I have Celebration on CD. Perhaps it's out of print, but I've had a copy for quite a while.

Jason

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2004, 07:42:31 AM »

I have it on CD, too.

Does anyone have any Tom Lehrer CDs? I got a book of his sheet music, but I don't have a piano to bang out what the songs actually sound like. Even if I did bang out notes, they wouldn't sound like they're supposed to. I'd love to hear some of his stuff if anyone has it...

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2004, 07:50:43 AM »

Jason:

Rhino released a Tom Lehrer box set a few years back, containing all of his studio and live albums, plus a smattering of previously unreleased or difficult to obtain songs. Lehrer's voice will never be confused with Pavorotti's, but his delivery is just delicious. Almost as much fun is his performance of "Poisoning Pigeons" at the Cameron Mackintosh special "Hey, Mr. Producer!" introduced by Stephen Sondheim (who was Lehrer's camp-mate a lifetime ago... can you imagine being the bunk counselor for THOSE two?)

I've been performing Lehrer's stuff in disreputable piano bars for centuries now, and it's amazing to see how little has changed from when he first wrote some of his material. (Can you believe that "Smut" is more than 50 years old?)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 07:53:13 AM by Elan »

Ben

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2004, 07:51:51 AM »

Well, it seems as if Celebration is out of print. I have spent some time looking for it (I should be working but this is more fun) and there are references to the show and mentions of the CD but the places where one might find it (Footlight, Amazon, etc.) don't seem to have any copies. Veddy Interesting (think Arte Johnson in German Drag)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 07:55:48 AM »

I likewise have CELEBRATION.

I eat so much Chinese food that I really don't have a favorite. I like just about anything as long as it's not too spicy. I have a hard time digesting heavily spicy, hot foods.

As for Japanese, I dated a restaurant critic once who took me with him to review a new Japanese place in the city. Had never had sushi or any standard Japanese dishes. Hated every piece of sushi I tried, so I know that it's not for me. The regular Japanese meal I had I liked quite well, but if I had a choice, I'd go Chinese every time. I think that's the only time I ever ate Japanese food. BTW, my date gave the place a very good review (he went back a couple of more times to try other things on the menu before filing his review).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 07:59:56 AM »

Looks like I'll be giving AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DAYS a spin on the DVD machine this afternoon. Don't know if I'll be in the mood for the entire film (it IS long), but it'll be great to see it in widescreen after all these years.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2004, 08:30:15 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  I wanted to sleep later but the mowers are mowing loudly and that is that.

Lesley was the biggest to-do.  Susan Watson sang a couple of songs, including the beautiful The Room is Filled With You.  

Celebration was first put out on CD by me at Bay Cities.  It was subsequently reissued by Angel Broadway - both CDs are obviously out of print, but it really shouldn't be hard to find.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2004, 08:31:17 AM »

The Show Goes On was only done at the York Theater as far as I know.  I enjoyed Tom and Harvey's participation in it very much, but didn't love the singers in that production.  I wish they'd do it out here and let me help find the singers.

Panni

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2004, 08:46:01 AM »

I'm trying yesterday's method of not posting much throughout the day. Still don't feel great, but I've walked (first dog, then myself) done morning chores, put in a wash and now will begin writing. Not bad for someone with stupid allergy symptoms who is operating on an hour's sleep . Laters, all.

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2004, 09:01:28 AM »

Good vibes to DR td ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2004, 09:04:31 AM »

Are these fair impressions?

What Mr. Swed calls shtick I call adding dramatic impact to a song.  Mr. Terfel is blessed with considerable charisma and that charisma flowed across the footlights, to the delight of the audience.  His is a robust, expressive voice and there was a whole lot more energy in this recital than in the typical vocal recital.  (I've been to recitals that felt downright funereal.)  What Terfel did with dynamics was fairly amazing.  He did produce tiny whispers that could be heard--with the words distinct--way up in the balconies.  His antics with "Deh Vieni" from Don Giovanni were, yes, pure ham, but gimme a break:  it was an encore and he had the audience in the palm of his hand by then anyway.

One thing Mr. Swed did not mention was that the houselights were not kept on during the recital, which annoyed me no end.  There was no way to follow the text of the songs, which were in German, Italian, Celtic, Welsh and English, or even know (unless you memorized these things from reading the program before the concert) how many songs were in each set, which produced applause from the audience at inappropriate times.  I complained to the house manager at the interval and the lights were brought up slightly in the second half:  bright enough to at least make out the composer and name of the song (in bold text) but still too dim to make out the song texts.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2004, 09:05:17 AM »

I'm very tired but the mowers are still mowing.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Japanese food: Teriyaki (chicken only), tempura (love tempura), various noodle soups.  Hate Miso Soup.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2004, 09:05:22 AM »

I love General Taos chicken! :)

I do like Japanese.  Tempura is VERY good.  And I like sushi, but only the rolls (and not the stuff that is just raw fish).

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2004, 09:12:07 AM »

Confidential to Dear BK:  I've been to the Japanese restaurant you went to last night.  Which is precisely why I recommended Smitty's and Celestino.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up