Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FIRST REHEARSAL  (Read 18262 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE FIRST REHEARSAL
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2004, 10:14:58 AM »

...And one for Claus Ogerman.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2004, 10:23:56 AM »

I see the Federal Marriage Amendment has fizzled in the Senate this morning.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D [/move]

And for an example of how some of our elected officials need to get a life--and to put things into perspective--here's a quote from one of my least favorite members of the Senate:

"I would argue that the future of our country hangs in the balance because the future of marriage hangs in the balance,'' said Sen. Rick Santorum, a leader in the fight to approve the measure. "Isn't that the ultimate homeland security, standing up and defending marriage?''

To respond to your question, Senator Santorum, in a word, the answer is "No."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 10:25:53 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2004, 10:31:32 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Bastille Day, François![/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2004, 10:58:03 AM »

Okay, I'm listening to the soundtrack to "De-Lovely" and (so far) the only way I think that I'll be able to appreciate it is to think of it as a collection of contemporary singers interpreting Cole Porter's songs in their own styles (with Kevin Kline thrown in for good measure) and not as excerpts from an otherwise "accurate" movie of his life.

Now, my questions/comments:  Did the music arranger totally rewrite some of the music (chords and chord progressions), especially in "Begin the Beguine?"  I keep expecting it to go in certain musical directions but then the chords just all seem wrong, especially the tempo.  And I HATE the "Blow, Gabriel, Blow" arrangement/orchestration!  Anyone else feel this way?  I like (only "like") Robbie Williams and Elvis Costello and I don't mind Alanis Morissette as much as I thought I would.  I’ve always liked Caroline O’Connor in just about everything she's done, but not this.  I can't for a second imagine her as Ethel Merman.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2004, 10:59:32 AM »

Here is a link I think DRs will appreciate (especially DR Elmore and especially item #21):

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm?int_news_id=4911
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2004, 11:25:54 AM »

I don't ever mind arrangers doing their thing with the routine of songs - tempo, vamps, moving things around in an interesting way.  What I do mind is when they reharmonize - it shouldn't be allowed and Mr. Porter would not be happy if that's what they've done.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2004, 11:27:12 AM »

And might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  I'm working very hard here, and I need my haineshisway.com posting fix and there's no one here posting.  Let's fix that so I can have my fix.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2004, 11:29:26 AM »

Re: chinese food last night

Since I wasn't that hungry, I didn't even pay attention or contribute to what was ordered.

But they did order General Taos chicken.

The little boy, who just turned 4 LOVED IT.  He basically wanted to eat the entire plate himself!

Good taste! :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 11:32:04 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2004, 11:33:05 AM »

I must go now, but I will try to post more later.

Btw, has anyone been watching The Amazing Race?

I was NOT happy with the team that got eliminated last night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2004, 11:47:07 AM »

Would somebody call the doctor, please?

BK wants to be fixed!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »

That Fed-Ex travail is horrifying.  Was this sent to your house?  Do you often have trouble receiving stuff at your house?  Have other packages of music made it there in the past week?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2004, 11:58:58 AM »

And for an example of how some of our elected officials need to get a life--and to put things into perspective--here's a quote from one of my least favorite members of the Senate:

"I would argue that the future of our country hangs in the balance because the future of marriage hangs in the balance,'' said Sen. Rick Santorum, a leader in the fight to approve the measure. "Isn't that the ultimate homeland security, standing up and defending marriage?''

To respond to your question, Senator Santorum, in a word, the answer is "No."

Now, Jay, you are speaking to a Senator. There is a certain decorum that  tradition mandates when speaking to a Senator - a simple, brusk "No" is not in the current spirit of collegiality. I believe a more elaborate "F**K No!" would be more in keeping with the times.

der Brucer (a more elaborate response would reference the horse he rode in on)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2004, 12:06:58 PM »

Let's fix that so I can have my fix.

HERE 'TIS

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2004, 12:07:18 PM »

Now, now, DerBrucer... mustn't forget the appropriate full address:

"F**k, no, senator!"
or
"F**k, no, you miserable excuse for a senator!"

are by far the preferred methods.

Of course, if you really wanna hear respectful political dialog, then you've gotta hear a back-and-forth at the Israeli Knesset. You can't really curse in Hebrew, which makes for extremely creative linguistic work (plus a smattering of fun foreign terms)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2004, 12:18:04 PM »

Panni I can eat pecan and peanut butter yogurt, I just wouldn’t want to.  Glad you are feeling better today.

Tomovoz are you feeling better?  When in London be sure to get some humbugs from Marks and Spenser or from Tornton’s.  While at Thornton’s be sure to have some of their special toffee.

JRand-yes, SOMEBODY’S MOTHER is a tear jerker.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2004, 12:19:32 PM »

DR Jennifer,
I am watching Amazing Race this season, but since it is on at 10pm I tape it and watch it the following day. Thus I will be watching last nights episode tonight.

I did, however, watch Big Brother last night and I can only say that I despise Scott and Jason..but especially Scott.

Panni

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2004, 12:21:37 PM »

THE DOOR IN THE FLOOR, although an unfortunate title, sounds like it might be an interesting film for grown-ups. I really liked the John Irving novel, A WIDOW FOR ONE YEAR, of which this story is one part.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2004, 12:22:48 PM »

Here is a link I think DRs will appreciate (especially DR Elmore and especially item #21):

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm?int_news_id=4911

Thank you, DRWEL!  I also scored #32 for Joseph Papp.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2004, 12:23:31 PM »

Jane - I know that pecan and peanut butter frozen yogurt sounds disgusting. But it's delicious - the consistency of creamy soft ice cream.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2004, 12:24:35 PM »

Jennifer, some people took food home but not as many as said they would, even after I said it would be trashed.  I left this morning for my Wednesday hiking group without the bag of cookies.  All I could do is call Keith and tell him to trash them.  Better the trash eat them than me.

Regarding your dinner bill, I know how you feel but sometimes we just have to be gracious and simply say thank you.  It also sounds as if they did the fair thing.  Since you hardly ate it would not have been fair to divide the bill equally.

Jane

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2004, 12:25:31 PM »

Panni I'm sure Keith would like that.  He loves peanut butter in almost anything.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2004, 12:28:21 PM »

Now, now, DerBrucer... mustn't forget the appropriate full address:

"F**k, no, senator!"
or
"F**k, no, you miserable excuse for a senator!"

I stand corrected :)

der Brucer (who is lying when he said he stands, 'cause he's sitting)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2004, 12:33:15 PM »

I did, however, watch Big Brother last night and I can only say that I despise Scott and Jason..but especially Scott.

Yes, but wouldn't you like to see Jase's omnipresent towel slip, just ONCE?  And can we talk about those schmattes on their heads???  Wazzup wit dat? (What is up with that, in internet lingo.)

I, too am a BIG fan of Amazing Race.  And I say "GO, Charla and Mirna!"  (That's not meant as a spoiler....I just think they are a great team....)

Panni

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2004, 12:34:38 PM »

Must get back to work, but Cole Porter brought back a memory I'd totally buried... When we were first living in LA, Dear Daughter Rachel was attending a very hoity-toity private school. (She was in kindergarten, then was skipped in a month to Grade One.) We were invited one evening, near the beginning of the school year, to an informal parents' get-together at the home of one of the parents.  We arrived at this rather large estate, went in to be greeted by a uniformed maid and butler, with a live pianist in a tux, playing away. Informal! The owners of the house were of the nouveau riche variety - very proud of it all and giving tours. I, of course, explored. There was one area, near the home gym, where the elevator used to be, we were told. The elevator? Yes, because the original owner had been crippled in an accident... You guessed it - Cole Porter's former house. I went around surreptitiously touching walls that he may have touched...
BTW - Shirley Temple's old house was across the street -- with her original playhouse still in the yard.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2004, 12:35:50 PM »

And here is my BK question of the week, or for any of those of you who know:

What ever happened to those lovely Bottoms boys, Joe and Sam?  And wasn't there a third, equally cute, brother?  They all seem to have disappeared.

One of them popped into my head the other day (no comments from the peanut gallery), and I figured those in this forum might know their whereabouts.

Ben

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2004, 12:48:28 PM »

Sam, Joseph and Timothy.

Sam was in Seabiscut in 2003(according to IMDB) and some other 2004 movies. Joseph doesn't seem to have done a movie since 1998 but IMDB is unreliable sometimes. Timothy is 53, there is a picture and he was just in Ike: Countdown to D-Day. Sam will be 50 next year, Joseph is 50 this year. No picture for either of them at IMDB.

There is also a Ben Bottoms, born in 1960. They don't have pictures for these younger brothers. They all four did a movie called Island Sons, a TV movie from 1987.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 12:55:49 PM by Ben »

Jane

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2004, 12:51:21 PM »

Panni, was the school Westlake?

td

• td
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2004, 12:52:08 PM »

Thank you all for the kind thoughts, good vibes and thoughtfullness which is a standard set by the posters of HHW.

Mum's surgery went well yesterday.  Not much else to report except that she's still groggy from being put out; she always is.  She should be up on her feet in a day or two in the therapy wing of the hospital - this stay is likely to be one week or less.

Minx is her normal, loveable self.  The seizure was more than likely food oriented, she had a dinner two nights running of something which may have brought on the petit mal.  She has boundless energy for a thirteen and a half year old, and her biological clock is keeping perfect time.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]ASK BK QUESTION[/move]
When was the decision made to alter the tracks on Debbie Shapiro Gravitte's album of Mencken songs?
Who made the decision?
Did Laurie Beechman's Andrew Lloyd Webber album have anything to do with the changes on Debbie's cd?
Davis Gaines performs back-up, even duet, voice on a couple of BK-produced cds; why?    Seriously, what was Mr. Gaines like during those recording sessions?  Probably these are my personal faves of his recordings, btw.
Did Davis ask you for any input when he recorded his album, AGAINST THE TIDE?

Oh, the other Bottoms boy was Timothy.  He appaears with brother Sam in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2004, 12:54:18 PM »

Tim in JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN:
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2004, 12:57:30 PM »

td, good news in deed.   :) :) :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up