News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEW!  (Read 19783 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:WHEW!
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2004, 10:00:10 PM »

Bank of America customers can use any ATM with a matching logo (which seems to be most ATMs where I've traveled). Yes, she will have to pay a fee of a few dollars -- but she can get cash from it.
You'd think that, but you'd be wrong.
All the banks in my neck of the woods, you have to insert your rectangular card into a slot and take it out.
The mother-in-law doesn't have a rectangular card, but, rather, an oddly shaped thing with a stripe that can be read... in Bank of America branches.  Which, I don't think, are here and open on Saturdays.  We're screwed.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2004, 10:05:22 PM »

BK - I've checked, I've looked, and I still cant find where you've answered my BK query, so here it is again:

I'd love to know about the process leading to the selection of the songs for What If.

When different people were cast, did you then find material that would be right for them?
Were songs dropped after casting because nobody was right for them?

Had you, before embarking on this project, a list of songs that you thought would be good in a revue - to draw on.  What "new" listening did you do, once it seemed Plan B might become a reality?

Did you ever get in touch with Marcy and Zina?  Their new musical, Junie B. Jones, opens next week at the Lucille Lortel

I must have missed it in my senility.  When I realized we'd have to do this I knew that I had to find stuff that I had or had already done that I knew worked.  The What Ifs seemed a good place to start since people really like them and none of them have ever been performed in public.  While finding those I also found the Jewish Sondheim stuff, which has become a medley.  I ended up choosing seven What Ifs that I felt were the strongest, but if one or more of them don't work, out they go.  Since I started with Tammy, we knew she'd sing her signature song, Joshua Noveck, and she asked if she could sing a song I've written for the stage version of Nudie, a ballad, which I said "yes" too.  I also had a couple of other songs of mine in mind for others, and when Alet and Susanne came on board they each got one of them.  I knew I wanted to do at least one Rupert Holmes song, and two additional Bernstein and Markell songs.  When Tammy's young friend came on board I needed a good solo for him, and Michael Kerker sent me to two new NY writers.  I didn't like most of what they sent but there was a song that was perfect for this young kid, so we chose that.  I also knew that I wanted two Billy Barnes songs, one an homage to the revues I loved growing up, and one of his newer songs for Susanne, which he graciously gave us.  And that's pretty much been the process.  I listened and am still listening to tapes of songs (including Noel's) but the decision on material is really simple for me - what feels right for our specific talent, what feels right to me in terms of balance in the show, and what is fun/and or pretty.  I think I've got ninety percent of the material now, but I have no idea how it's going to flow yet or what will lead into what.  That will come when I see everything on its feet.  At that point, I'm sure some things will go, some things will get added, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2004, 10:09:02 PM »

When they do a video restoration for DVD it means that the cleanup work is all done in the computer, but the actual film elements don't get restored, therefore no new prints can be struck off of what is done in the computer.  Film restoration is when the film elements are actually restored and cleaned up and a new internegative is made so that new prints can be struck.  Two examples: Robert Harris does film restorations, i.e. Spartacus and Lawrence of Arabia.  North by Northwest, on the other hand, is a video restoration (and a brilliant one).  The film elements of NBNW have not been restored.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2004, 10:19:35 PM »

You'd think that, but you'd be wrong.
All the banks in my neck of the woods, you have to insert your rectangular card into a slot and take it out.
The mother-in-law doesn't have a rectangular card, but, rather, an oddly shaped thing with a stripe that can be read... in Bank of America branches.  Which, I don't think, are here and open on Saturdays.  We're screwed.
So what you're looking for is a BRANCH of BofA that is open on Saturday.

A quick check doesn't reveal any Bof A branches in NYC.  Which I consider odd, and unfortunate.

Your next best bet is to take her to your own bank (or Joy's), and make arrangements there.  Most banks are open on Saturdays, for at least limited hours.  Call ahead.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2004, 10:29:23 PM »

I see TCB has paid us a visit!  How wonderful.  I do hope his computer worries are coming to an end...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2004, 10:31:04 PM »

Whew!  So many wonderful posts!

DRMichael Shayne - I sometimes look at those comparisons and can't see the difference in some of them either.  However hearing from MATTH and MR BK helped explain a lot of the difference....and of course it makes perfect sense now.  How could corrections made on a computer be transferred to film?  Duh....film restoration is the only way to make a new negative....anyway...blah blah blah....we are now IN THE KNOW!

Applause on my EGRESS....I will be very disappointed if it doesn't happen tomorrow - on closing night.   There were no open zippers tonight, so we didn't get the BIG laugh - but it was pleasant enough SOLD OUT house!

I am reticent...oh yes, I'm reticent....about a musical version of the TEN COMMANDMENTS....with anyone, let alone Val Kilmer....BUT there is that lovely song about a church service, a fisherman, and his mule called "A Mass, A Bass, and an Ass."  It ain't "I Slipped on a Banana Peel on the Champs del Eysee" -  but it begs to be sung!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2004, 10:32:35 PM »

DRGEORGE - I enjoyed BIG EDEN very much....a deliberately paced story with lovely scenery and wry situations.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2004, 10:39:43 PM »

Nytol.

Tomovoz

« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2004, 10:53:44 PM »

I see TCB has paid us a visit!  How wonderful.  I do hope his computer worries are coming to an end...
Me too Me too Me too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2004, 11:11:45 PM »

Me three.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2004, 11:28:54 PM »

I schlepped all the way down to Heim of Ana to the Chance Theatre this evening to see (for the first time) A Grand Night for Singing, the Rodgers and Hammerstein revue.  In a bit of coincidence, though I purchased my ticket several weeks ago, the Chance Theatre was featured in the L.A. Times on Thursday (yesterday) as one of several small (they used the term "storefront") theatres that are taking hold in Orange County.

It was a pleasant enough evening.  Three boys (one of whom doubled as music director--more on that in a moment) and four girls.  Except for one female belter, the voices were on the light side.  Some very nice arrangements and some very nice choreography on what was, other than for the odd bench or chair, a naked stage.

The sole musical accompaniment was one of those electronic keyboard appliances.  Most of the show was pre-recorded or, perhaps more properly stated, pre-programmed, as the music director spent much of the evening with the other singers on stage.

Shoestring budgets are shoestring budgets, I suppose, and I paid a pittance to see this show, so I won't get on my soapbox.  Still, live performance on a piano (an upright, even) would have made a tremendously positive improvement.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2004, 11:32:46 PM »

WHEW!

WHEW!

WHEW!

-That is three WHEW!s

Again, sorry for being E&T the past few days, but...

However, to sort of celebrate my first full week here in Los Angeles, I made a stop at The House of Pies on the way home.  Everything in the case looked soooo good.  I decided to give their Coconut Cream a try.  Very good.  And just what I needed after the past few days of rehearsal... waiting for various things and various people.  The Strawberry Pies are "in season" right now, and I think that will be next selection.  -Which may come as soon as Sunday evening...  We shall see.

Well, I have a ton of e-mails to catch up on, and I need to start laying out my work for tomorrow.

But it truly has been quite a wonderful week here in LA.  I keep running into people out here that I haven't seen in years!  -Mainly theatre folks who migrated west a few years ago.  In fact, I ran into a college classmate of mine at The House of Pies! :D

OK...

WHEW!!!!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2004, 11:37:24 PM »

Strawberry pies are so last week.

You want stone fruit pies now!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2004, 11:44:31 PM »

Good evening all
A rather boring night around here...and I have a headache that is slowly getting worse.  Outside I can hear someone using up the last of the Fourth of July firewords...or else it's the baseball field doing their fireworks display.  

Hmm...perhaps I shall take something for the pain...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2004, 11:52:24 PM »

I will say that our very own Jose has been working very hard and has had to deal with a very unhappy me occasionally, regarding this music that kept not showing up.  I was especially noisy today, but the music finally found us this evening, just before rehearsal.  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up