Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELLY SHOES  (Read 17358 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SMELLY SHOES
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2004, 09:47:14 AM »

A New Dog.  That could be a musical companion piece to A New Brain.  Soon I'll have A New Shoe.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2004, 09:47:25 AM »

And now we've got A New Page.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2004, 09:47:49 AM »

Once again, we set the trends for a nation.  And where has Charles Pogue gone to?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2004, 09:52:20 AM »

...WE HAVE A NEW DOG (see below).  BeeGee (for Black Gold) is a beautiful Golden Retriever/Cinnamon Newfie mixed breed who is a lovely one year old who was unaccountably abandoned in Corvallis and ended up at Golden Bond rescue.  He has a few "manners" issues which we are dealing with, but he is a gentle giant and a very sweet addition to our family.  You can't really tell from this photo, but his coloring is outrageously beautiful--his top coat is kind of chocolatly (mmm...chocolate) while his undercoat is perfectly golden.  He absolutely shimmers in the light.  He does not, however (at least as of yet), retrieve anything.  He stares at us with a "So what?  You go get it if you want it" look, so Zach calls him our Golden non-retriever....
How wonderful for BeeGee and your family!  I hope you have many years together!

Speaking of undercoats, don't forget to give BeeGee a regular brushing.  Marty has a bit of undercoat, but Buster has quite a lot (his sister Bonnie and Mikey have none).  Marty and Buster just love geting brushed, particularly now during the summer when the brushing helps them cool off.  They love the attention, and it just plain feels good.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2004, 09:52:48 AM »

Although it doesn't matter - and the "now" people will disagree - there was NO NEED for a remake of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.  This film will be released on July 30.   :P

Mrs. Iselin now has a first name, something she didn't have in the first movie OR the novel by Richard Condon.  In fact she is no longer Mrs. Iselin - she is Mrs. Eleanor Shaw?  Why has her husband disappeared?  Because her plot now is to put her son in as the Vice-Presidential candidate.  

Oh and guess what, we are now confronted not with a political enemy, but The Manchurian Corporation (whose board includes ex-presidents and ex-kings) and who want to get their candidate into the White House.

But in the original - and in the book - Raymond was being used to kill the Presidential nominee at the convention....how can he now be used?  What is the point of the brain-washing?  It seems now to be business related - corporations control the government.

I am at once fascinated and repelled by the hubris in not only re-making this film, but in its re-working of the original material.  Had they taken their story and made AN original film, they might have had something.  It's not THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, why pretend it is?  Most who remember the original movie will only ridicule their efforts.

I don't know why....it just seems so unnecessary...except as a conceit for director Jonathan Demme, screenwriters Daniel Pyne and Dean Georgaris, and ESPECIALLY stars Denzel Washington and Meryl Streep.  :-\

Vera Farmiga is Jocelyn Jordon.  Among other actors is this film are Dean Stockwell, Zeljko Ivanek, and Miguel Ferrer.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2004, 09:54:25 AM »

And might I just clarify for a very confused dear reader, that my feet NEVER smell, only my smelly shoes smell.  My feet, as stated in the notes, smell lovelier than springtime.

Needless to say, we all appreciate that clarification.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2004, 09:55:25 AM »

Dawn Upshaw's on the radio right now, singing "Glitter and Be Gay."  I think I shall.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2004, 09:56:12 AM »

A New Dog.  That could be a musical companion piece to A New Brain.  Soon I'll have A New Shoe.

And Arthur Schwartz' New Broom.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2004, 09:57:19 AM »

DR JMK, I almost chose the A/E Frances Farmer bio myself, but I thought I would leave it to you.  Of course, having my NAME in the credits of said production was quite exciting!  My face was not in it....but my name was.  And thanks for recommending me to the producer!

Beautiful dog.  

A show about shoes...would no doubt have to be called:

Shoe Show....Shoe Show  (a Thoroughly Modern Millie reference).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2004, 09:57:44 AM »

Dawn Upshaw's on the radio right now, singing "Glitter and Be Gay."  I think I shall.

I thought, DRJay, that you already did.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2004, 09:58:48 AM »

It seems I owe our fearless leader an apology.
Earlier in the day (acutally, late last night) I made reference to "smelly feet" in a post. I have no excuse but to say that I was bleary-eyed and tired when reading the Notes, coupled with the fact that I was so overcome with the nauseating thought of smelly shoes (I am incredibly sensitive to smell) that my feeble mind simply jumped over the sentence in which bk  SPECIFICALLY stated that his toes were daisy fresh. I shall quote the sentence here as a form of penance: "Since I always have impeccably clean and beautifully fragrant-smelling feet, just where do these smelly shoes get off being smelly shoes..."
Yes, Dear Readers, I was wrong, and I am woman enough to admit it. bk, I humbly beg your pardon and the pardon of your sweet-smelling lower digits.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2004, 09:58:49 AM »

Does Grand Canyon, the Academy Award winning short-subject film that accompanied the release of Disney's Sleeping Beauty (and is included on the DVD) considered a documentary, or is it just an art piece?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2004, 09:59:34 AM »

If they were Jewish/Chinese shoes, it could be Shoe Chem (obscure flopola reference).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jay

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2004, 10:00:14 AM »

Smashed Anchovies?

There's a bit of debate about this ingredient.  Some say smashed anchovies are part of the dressing, and others say that the dressing includes three dashes of Worcestershire Sauce, which contains anchovy.

Bleh to bottled Caesar dressing, by the way.  Nasty stuff.

Worcestershire Sauce (also known in my household as What's-dis-here Sauce) certainly is an ingredient in the dressing, along with the oil and vinegar.  And egg and cheese.  I recently read that in the ur-Caesar salad, the anchovies were in the form of a paste, and spread on the croutons.

I agree with you on the bottled dressing comment.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:07:01 AM by Jay »

Panni

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2004, 10:01:19 AM »

Great mutt, JMK!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2004, 10:04:19 AM »

Although it doesn't matter - and the "now" people will disagree - there was NO NEED for a remake of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.  This film will be released on July 30.   :P
Is there ever a NEED for any film to be made?

I'm interested in the remake, myself.  It was a good, strong story originally, and is still relevant now.  And I'm glad to hear the story isn't being copied exactly, but with appropriate changes.

So I guess I'm one of the "now" people.  What would be the alternative, to live in the past?  (Sorry, cheap shot, but so is the "now people" label.)

Jay

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2004, 10:05:24 AM »

...acutally...

The definition of which, Dear Reader Panni, I so do hope you share with us.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:09:07 AM by Jay »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2004, 10:07:03 AM »

Everybody SING!

It's a treat to beat your feet/
In the Mississippi mud!/
It's a treat to beat your feet/
In the Mississippi mud!

;D

Jay

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2004, 10:16:13 AM »

...acutally...

Does it mean "Michele, as compared to Ruta?"

Panni

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2004, 10:16:57 AM »

The definition of which, Dear Reader Panni, I so do hope you share with us.

Writing "acutally" was actually a brilliant (if I do say so myself, and I do) way of demonstrating how blurred my vision was last night - causing me to miss the explanation of non-smelly toes.
I did it on purpose, DR Jay. On purpose, do you hear me? On purpose.

Panni

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2004, 10:20:00 AM »

What? Nobody has one thing to say about the turtle? I go out in the blazing heat to take a picture of this fershluganah beast for your mental delectation, and no one even says, "Nice turtle."...? Huh? Is a "Nice turtle" too much to ask?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:20:48 AM by Panni »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2004, 10:28:51 AM »

Nice turtle, Panni.  I had a pet turtle (small) named Elmer when I was a child.  Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jason

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2004, 10:29:32 AM »

Hello, all. Sorry I've been E&T, but I've been busy.

Things have been going well, I suppose. I met a very nice guy through Craigslist.com's "Strictly Platonic" personals section and we've been talking and emailing and emailing and talking like crazy. We're getting together again tomorrow afternoon to explore some parts of Brooklyn that I haven't seen yet. Then we may go to a movie.

Speaking of movies, "Capturing the Friedmans" is probably my favorite documentary. "Bowling for Columbine" was fascinating and scary, but I have no interest in seeing "Farenheit 9/11" whatsoever.

And I love Ranch dressing. Boring, I know, but there it is.

MTI is screwing me over. First off, I was supposed to have started my full-time, permanent reception/asst. to the CEO job on Monday, meaning I'd have been put on payroll and my benefits would have started. Well, they have now decided, without consulting me, that I will be a licensing agent (granting permission and issuing contracts for production rights), which means more money, so I'm thinking GREAT! Well, they're jerking me around and not telling me when I start that position. In the meantime, they've put me up front full-time at the reception desk while the old receptionist trains for his new position, but they're not putting me on payroll! I'm doing his job right now--including duties for the CEO--and they're going to continue to pay me my measley untaxed $10/hr.! When I do work for the CEO, I'm supposed to be making $25/hr! And then, to add insult to injury, they decided in the interest of safety and due to travel concerns into and out of the city during the Republican Nat'l Convention that they're going to close the office for that entire week. Everyone gets paid for that week--except the temps. Well, temp. Me. I'll be the only one around by that time. Since I won't be on payroll they don't have to pay me for that week, and when I talked to them about it, the VP of the company just said, "well, you'll just have that week off," and the director of business affairs said, "that's part of being a temp. Sorry." So now I'm out an entire week's pay and they don't give a shit. Pardon my French. So what am I supposed to do?? I'm not completely broke, but I'm also not in a position to be able to lose out on an entire week's pay! Our office manager was out of the office Thursday and Friday, so I'm going to talk to him about it on Monday, but he really is my last hope of getting anywhere. The worst part is, I have to play nice or they may not hire me full-time like they said they would, and I need this job. Maybe this is a sign to find a new job. They're doing a lot of other poopy stuff to me and others, and I'm not so sure I want to work for a company that's so shady...

Where's Wonder Woman when you need her?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:33:33 AM by Jason »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2004, 10:30:16 AM »

What? Nobody has one thing to say about the turtle? I go out in the blazing heat to take a picture of this fershluganah beast for your mental delectation, and no one even says, "Nice turtle."...? Huh? Is a "Nice turtle" too much to ask?

All right!  It's the cutest turtle, or is it a terrapin?, I've seen in a month of Sundays!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2004, 10:39:21 AM »

LOL...I am not against "now"....but why change "then" when it was so good?

Make a "now" original....unless you can't.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:39:40 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2004, 10:40:16 AM »

DR PANNI...that's a hell of shell!

Jason

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2004, 10:41:10 AM »

Oh, yeah...I'm seeing THE FROGS tonight. We're hoping Roger Bart will be in tonight. I love him. I've seen him in five or six shows now...the first one being the Nat'l Tour of THE SECRET GARDEN. I wish I'd gotten to see him in CHARLIE BROWN.

Also, I joined the TDF mailing list, which really excites me. Basically, you pay $25 to join, prove that you making your living doing something related to the perfoming arts (or that you're a teacher, non-profit organization, clergyman, student, blah blah blah...) and you get the most incredible discounts on theatre tickets. I saw FORBIDDEN B'WAY: SUMMER SHOCK on Tuesday for $20 and next Friday, Jason and I are seeing CAROLINE, OR CHANGE for $29 each. You never know what shows will be offered, so you really have to check the website every day, but it's SUCH a good deal. I'm getting my money's worth out of it just by buying my tickets to CAROLINE. I mean, I got 2 tickets to a Broadway show for less than $60, plus the $25 membership fee--that's $85, which is less than the cost of one good seat to that show. I have no idea where we'll be sitting, but who cares! Anything that will make live theatre more affordable is a good thing in my book.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2004, 10:44:05 AM »

Panni, pick up some Panalog from your vet.  We always keep some handy.  To bad I just can’t let you have some of ours.  It always expires before we use it up.

Bruce, what a relief the music finally arrived.  It is not a pleasant feeling when things are lost in the system.

Jose, you seem to have run into more people you know in one short visit than our combined visits, and we are from L.A.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2004, 10:51:55 AM »

OK, nice turtle.

But I'm not that familiar with turtles.  How does one tell a nice turtle from a rude one?

Can turtles be rude at all?

If one were to take a motion picture of a rude turtle, and speed up the film during projection, would the rude turtle be even ruder?

Or is a rude turtle even ruder, still?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2004, 11:13:49 AM »

Darling daughter should have been here by now, but presumably she'll be here soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up