Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PUTTING IT TOGETHER  (Read 16253 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PUTTING IT TOGETHER
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2004, 08:44:32 AM »

And one for Mahler.

I must say, nothing I've heard described thus far, Indian and Greek food-wise, has made my mouth water.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2004, 08:50:03 AM »

Greetings from the middle of nowhere! I am learning all sorts of things about my relatives. For example, my step great uncle-in-law is in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the world's oldest twin at age 109.

Last night, we played the traditional game of our favorite card game, Scum. We've played this game at every reunion since I can remember. I took some lovely pictures, which I'm sure you are all very anxious to see.

Tonight is the talent show, which is always entertaining. And then after that there might be a bonfire. Uncle Paul brought his guitar and great uncle Arthur brought his harmonica, so we are in for a real shindig.

And now, the pictures...

Here we have my cousins Aaron and Amanda arguing, with my uncle Paul stuck in the middle. (I know Aaron looks like he's laughing, but believe me.)

The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2004, 08:53:34 AM »

We finally figured out that these shoes belonged to my cousin Susan.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 08:54:52 AM »

My cousin Robin is still trying to figure out why I put this hat on her head and took a picture.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2004, 08:55:17 AM »

bk - Try sprinkling lots of CAYENNE PEPPER on the roof today. It works for raccoons, so I don't see why it wouldn't for squirrels. I had huge raccoon problems in Boulder -- for one thing, they tried to get in my window -- which was right by the bed -- they'd stare back at me in the middle of the night when I looked out. Anyway, the cayenne pepper got rid of them.

I like Indian food. In Boulder I used to have it at least once a week -- there were two excellent Indian places near the house. I haven't had ANY since November, when I moved to LA. Indian food definitely has to be enjoyed with companions -- and I don't have friends here who like it. Skammen.
Greek food I don't mind, but I can go for years without having it and not think about it at all. There's a Greek place minutes from here, but I've never ventured inside. Again in Boulder, I had a Greek friend who was a wonderful cook. She would have fabulous parties a couple of times a year and would serve great Greek food.
Back to work. I won't be posting much during the day.

THE ABOVE TOOK ME OVER HALF AN HOUR OF STURM UND DRANG TO POST. ADELPHIA!! AAAARGH!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 08:58:14 AM by Panni »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2004, 08:55:37 AM »

And one for Mahler.

I must say, nothing I've heard described thus far, Indian and Greek food-wise, has made my mouth water.

With Indian food, what you really want is a combination - all those aromatic breads dipped in a variety of complex, exotic sauces.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2004, 08:55:59 AM »

I am watching the OUTER LIMITS marathon on SciFi....Mr Harlan Ellison's 'The Man with the Glass Hand' is on right now.  Great stuff!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2004, 08:56:25 AM »

Same goes for my uncle Paul.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2004, 08:57:40 AM »

As soon as Aaron saw the cards he was dealt, he said, "I wish I had a camera!" Luckily, I had one.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2004, 08:58:00 AM »

DR MATTH, I know what you mean.  I love putting a number together...and then watching it for the first time.

As a director-choreographer....some of my favorites, songs and dances that worked from the beginning just as I imagined them:

The Challenge Dance for 7 Brides for 7 Brothers
I'm In Love With a Girl Named Fred for Once Upon a Mattress
Once a Year Day for Pajama Game

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2004, 08:58:31 AM »

Great pictures DRSANDRA!  But where is the food?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2004, 08:59:17 AM »

And because my mom wanted to see it, here is the worst picture of a robin anyone has ever taken.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2004, 09:01:28 AM »

Thanks, JRand. I wanted to get a picture of the cherry Jell-o salad, but I didn't think to bring the camera to dinner. I'll get some food pictures tonight.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2004, 09:07:01 AM »

Yes DRELMORE we must have details on your new TeeVee!  

The Hainsies are much more excited over my new tv than I am, and I'm puzzled as to why it has not yet shown up.  My Panasonic television is 15 or 16 years old, purchased by funds I made doing STRIKE UP THE BAND for California Music Theatre in 1988 or 89.  I really can't remember.  Because it's lasted so long, I figured I'd buy another Panasonic so I went to Circuit City and bought a 20" Panasonic tv for $200.  However, between the tax, warranty, delivery, and set-up fee it ended up costing $363.00!  So I want them to deliver it so I can spend the afternoon learning how to work a television's advanced technology of 15-16 years.

I have the same problem every time I rent a car:  I have to relearn where the lights are, the emergency brake, the dimmer, the AC.  UGH!!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 09:08:23 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2004, 09:11:19 AM »

Speaking of which, I guess some have observed that the Jewish DRs have different levels of keeping kosher. Here's mine. Last Passover I was at a neighborhood fish store, buying shrimp. I looked at the taramasalata, and asked the fishmonger if she knew all the ingredients in it. "There's no chometz [non-Kosher-for-Passover ingredients]," she answered as she packed up the shrimp.

That's quite funny, DR DIT.

Greek food:  Definitely baklavah.  Tzatziki.  Spanakopita.  When we lived on Roosevelt Island, mY DP and I would often go into deep Astoria, to places where you just sat and they brought food...no menus.  Fish that seemed to leap from the hook onto the platters after beeing briefly sauteed  in olive oil, and accompanied by the freshest of veggies....

Indian food:  I love most of it.  Appetizers (samosas, pakoras, onion fritters, et al).  Kurmas, keemas and curries, and an occasional vindaloo, if it's not TOO hot.  And others.  And the breads:  Pooris, parathas.  Biryani, etc.  I really do love Indian food.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2004, 09:20:18 AM »

Can't get out of my house to go vote until late afternoon. The side street where my garage is is having sidewalks and other construction work done on it (been going on for months). It WOULD be today when they get to my end of te street, blocking me in with their work. But they'll be done by 4 p.m. at the latest, and I don't mind waiting until then.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2004, 09:29:01 AM »

It just landed!  Beautiful picture, too many remote controls for all the nonsense, but I've now tested a DVD, Videocassette and the cable.  To quote Robert Browning, "God's in His heaven, all's right with the world."  Now, if He'd only fix my back.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Robin

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2004, 09:33:16 AM »

To quote Robert Browning, "God's in His heaven, all's right with the world."  Now, if He'd only fix my back.

Sounds to me like you need some little Asian women to walk on your back.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2004, 09:38:43 AM »

There's an Indian restaurant on the block I live on, but I'm not fond enough of the cuisine to go there with any frequency.  I do like a good nan, which is quite different from a good nun, although the spelling is not.

Speaking of Spelling, I heard that Marcy & Zina performed at Tori's wedding.  Quite a gig, that.  I plan to see their new musical tomorrow.

If you love pie, you've got to love Mousaka, which is made with that wonderfully light phyllo dough.  Weighing down the thing a bit, are the layers of mashed potato, but the rest is all a seasoned and vegetabled ground beef.  I think it's my favorite kind of pie, although I don't go to Greek restaurants often.  Joy used to work at Niko's on Broadway, and I never liked the food.  Only the service.  :-)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2004, 09:39:23 AM »

As the son of a nearly-fluent Greek-speaking Israeli (how's THAT for a combo, eh?), I've experienced quite a few kosher variants of Greek dishes. On my own, I'm quite partial to taramasalata (Krinos's is quite good, but I'm really jonesing to make my own), and I've made some kicker dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) in my day. I'm a believer in simple fare, so tossing some chunks of feta and a few kalamata olives in a salad is just fine by me, and Krinos's alfonso olives never last more than a day or two in my fridge. And then there's heavenly  baklava (the Greeks never learned how to make taiglach properly, so they hadda settle...  ;D)

Never did much Indian food, other than playing with some curry recipes at home (surprisingly, there aren't too many kosher Indian places in the nabe)...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2004, 09:43:50 AM »

Boy, I sure am missing out on a lot of fun at the reunion, as evidenced by DR Sandra's photos! It's a good thing I sent the camera with her so we can all share in the festivities.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Robin

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2004, 09:53:21 AM »

Two of my favorite 1950's sci-fi opuses are being released on deeveedee, and I couldn't be more excited.  On September 7th, it's The Alligator People starring Beverly Garland, the fifties answer to Sigourney Weaver.  On September 14th, it's I Married a Monster from Outer Space.  

I'm officially psyched!

And, as a bonus, Ed Wood and Wave 2 of the Universal Monster Collection (The Invisible Man Legacy, The Creature from the Black Lagoon Legacy, and The Mummy Legacy) gets issued on October 19th, which also happens to be the Significant Other's natal anniversary.  Seems rather unfair that I get all the gifts on his day, but whatcha gonna do?
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2004, 09:57:35 AM »

Good morning...for the first time in a long time, I was up at 7 am.  Working two full days today and tomorrow because i'll be in Vermont for the rest of the week and through next Wednesday.  Which means I'll be E&T for awhile.
Indian food?  hmm...gotta think on that one

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2004, 10:02:30 AM »

DR ROBIN 'The Alligator Man' also features Rocky Jones himself - Richard Crane!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »

Question for all our musical mavens out there...Was there ever any kind of recording done of THE ODYSSEY  musical that starred Yul Brynner/Joan Diener and was done (and died apparently fairly quickly) around 74/75? Eric Segal, the writer (and I guess lryicist); Mitch Leigh the composer; Albert Marre, the director.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2004, 10:07:56 AM »

Sounds to me like you need some little Asian women to walk on your back.

Too many people walk all over me already.  I just thank God it's not the 1950s or I'd be wearing a stainless steel truss.  Maybe I'll hang myself upside down for a while.

Ben

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2004, 10:09:11 AM »

Ahh, perseverance pays off. I knew if I waited long enough I could find Sketches of Broadway, the new Janis Siegel CD, at Academy. Today was my lucky day. I will be listening this afternoon. The song list sounds great. I am a big fan (I know DR George is also).

Academy also has two CDs in their window. One of Annie Warbucks and the other The Gay Life with Miss Barbara Cook and Jules Munshin. They are somewhat pricey which is why, I think, they have been in the window for over a week. Any thoughts, DRs on either of these scores? Worth having or just curiosities?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2004, 10:13:26 AM »

Question for all our musical mavens out there...Was there ever any kind of recording done of THE ODYSSEY  musical that starred Yul Brynner/Joan Diener and was done (and died apparently fairly quickly) around 74/75? Eric Segal, the writer (and I guess lryicist); Mitch Leigh the composer; Albert Marre, the director.

DRCharlesPogue, I'm sure there has to be a tape floating around.  I'll call the Goodspeed library and see if they have one.  By the time the show got to NYC, I believe that Eric Segal no longer had his name on the billing.  Wasn't it called at some point HOME SWEET HOMER.  I believe it started on the West Coast, so there should be several different versions floating about on tape.  Even though it was a flop, I've always been partial to a lot of CRY FOR US ALL (another Marre, Diener, Leigh disaster).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2004, 10:33:42 AM »

Yes, Home Sweet Homer.  As elmore said, no doubt there is a bootleg tape floating around somewhere.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2004, 10:34:40 AM »

I'm so tired right now I can't even see straight.  My plan, after lunch, is to fake myself into a nap.  I've never been able to just lie down and take a nap during the day BUT if I put on a DVD and lie on the couch like so much fish, then I doze off easily, day or night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up