Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: RANT  (Read 35736 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:RANT
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2008, 07:32:28 AM »

'The Deathly Hallows' to Be Two Films?

Final 'Harry Potter' May Be Split in Half

(Jan. 14) - The final installment of the "Harry Potter" series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," may be made as a two-part film, the U.K. newspaper The Daily Mail is reporting.

The Mail claims that the crew currently filming the sixth movie, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," has been told the seventh book will be released in two halves, rather than squeezing the events of the 776-page tome into one long film.

The Daily Mail also reports that Warner Bros. is rumored to be shooting for the Oscars with "Deathy Hallows," potentially courting a big name director such as Steven Spielberg to helm the two-part finale.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:33:16 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Miss Karen

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2008, 07:46:28 AM »

Singdaw -  I love your new cabaret combinations.  When's the show?

;D ;D

Ditto!  But just a cabaret?  I say, you have the makings of a submission to NYMF -- a la Company -- a bipolar guy's friends attempt to make him a "project" ...

Miss Karen

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2008, 07:47:38 AM »

singdaw - One I didn't have the courage to post on All that Chat

And I'm Drambuie imbued with Dasani
Part Julie Andrews and part Giuli-ani
Staunch as John McCain (la-la-la)
Crazed as Norman Maine (la-la-la)
More than just insane -
Alive!!!!!

You so clever -- me love you long time ...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2008, 07:47:53 AM »

For a state-by-state breakdown of cell-phone useage in cars, go to CELLULAR NEWS

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2008, 07:48:38 AM »

Well, there is certainly enough incident, battles, close calls, etc. in DEATHLY HALLOWS to fill two films. I'll be eager to see how this develops.

I still say HALF BLOOD PRINCE is my favorite book of the series.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2008, 07:49:26 AM »

You so clever -- me love you long time ...

You love everybody long time - you easy ;)

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2008, 08:06:57 AM »

I cleaned the den earlier this morning, but I think I'll head down now, do a load of linens in the washer, and get lunch going. Also must check the mail to see what my afternoon plans will be.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And, boy, did this turn into a surprisingly lazy morning for me.  It's just taking me a while to wake up.  Thankfully, I don't have to be anywhere  today until 5:30, but I really was hoping to get down to Chelsea bright and early to get my haircut.  Guess I'll down around 1:00 instead, after the lunch rush.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2008, 08:19:18 AM »

I'm home today.

Sinus headache and sore throat (hush, Jose!).

So this greeting of "Good Morning, HainesHisWay" is for all and one...which one you'll have to decide among yourselves.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:20 AM »

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SPIDER-MAN SPLITS WITH MARY JANE, WIFE OF 20 YEARS

LOS ANGELES —  It was bad enough when Jamie Lynn Spears, the 16-year-old all-American girl, announced she was pregnant.

But Spider-Man splitting with Mary Jane, his wife of more than 20 years? We didn't see that one coming.

Which is exactly the point, says Joe Quesada, editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics. It was time to shake things up in the life of Peter Parker, the nerdy New Yorker who upon being bitten by a radioactive spider attained the ability to transform himself into a web-spinning world savior. And it was easier to do that, he said, if Parker wasn't married.

Still, as the writer and artist who created the story that transformed Spider-Man into Single-Man earlier this month, Quesada has made himself about as popular with some of his readers as the villainous Green Goblin.

Is nothing sacred?

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2008, 08:21:52 AM »

{{{{DR TCB}}}}
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2008, 08:25:25 AM »

ASK BK:

Bruce,

Who was on the panel you saw when you attended "Jukebox Jury"?
I like boat races.

Julie

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2008, 08:27:44 AM »

Or maybe it should have been:

And I'm Drambuie imbued with Dasani
Part Julie Miller and part Giuli-ani
Dry like John McCain (la-la-la)
Wet like Norman Maine (la-la-la)
More than just insane -
Alive!!!!!

Or would that be too "in"  :)

;D ;D :o

singdaw

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2008, 08:29:53 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Sorry to hear that you're under the weather.

***FEEL BETTER VIBES*** to you!  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2008, 08:30:16 AM »

DR singdaw - So... Will your costume be bi-polar too?
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2008, 08:30:46 AM »

DR FJL is in danger of "peaking" too early on "But Alive."  22 days too early.   ;)

singdaw

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2008, 08:31:42 AM »

So... Will your costume be bi-polar too?

:-X

:)

FJL

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »

singdaw - In the bipolar parody field, there's nowhere to go but up - or down

FJL

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2008, 08:33:20 AM »

For cabaret shows, you need to set the bar very high.

singdaw

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2008, 08:33:41 AM »

I don't meet a wide range-
And it's all very strange...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2008, 08:33:43 AM »

I just spent twenty minutes on the phone with a market research person; her final question was "If you could choose one famous person to spend an hour with, whom would it be?"
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2008, 08:34:05 AM »

Hmm...  DR singdaw - I guess you could also pair up "She Loves Me" with "I'm in Love with a Wonderful Guy".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2008, 08:34:20 AM »

For cabaret shows, you need to set the bar very high.

Or the seats very low.

Miss Karen

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2008, 08:34:39 AM »

SPOILER POSSIBILITIES for No Country for Old Men:

I agree with bk on No Country for Old Men. I usually like the Cohen bros stuff -- Raising Arizona is one of my favs -- but I was disappointed with this one.  It started out strong but went no where (I know, I know it's probably supposed to be symbolic of violence -- violence is senseless, hence the movie makes no sense or something like that...yada, yada, yada...)  I thought Josh Brolin was the best thing about it -- he wasn't much on my radar when he was younger, but seeing him in American Gangster and this one, I'm pretty impressed and look forward to seeing him in more stuff.  I like Tommy Lee as an actor but came to wonder what the point of his character was in this movie other than being symbolic of the old guy shaking his head about what the world has come to -- at the beginning I thought he was going to track down the killer and have a show down, but about all he did was try to track down Brolin's character (and not very well) and go visit some relative for some inane talk and end the movie with some inane dream ... my mind started wandering during the relative talk (I was thinking "oh, that's Barry Corbin, he's such a good character actor, etc.," hence pulling myself out of the movie during that scene and during the dream speech I was thinking "what the ... what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?" so missed the insight/point of those two scenes cause I let my mind wonder ... it might have worked a little better had it ended at the final hotel scene when Tommy sits down on the bed -- The End -- sad and pointless -- but no, it had to go on and make some more points about it all being senseles so it stopped being about senselessness and turned into being about being annoying at the end.

(Oh, and bk is right -- the killer killed a cop/sheriff, so law enforcement would have been, in good ol' Texanese,  all over that guy like a duck on a June bug -- yet no one goes after him other than Woody's character -- and the who, what, when, where, why and how wasn't completely clear with his character either....)

If senseless was the point of the movie, then by golly it is masterpiece...

singdaw

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »

I just spent twenty minutes on the phone with a market research person; her final question was "If you could choose one famous person to spend an hour with, whom would it be?"

And I sure hope you answered "Frances Farmer"!

Miss Karen

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2008, 08:36:11 AM »

You love everybody long time - you easy ;)

der Brucer

Yes, me so easy and me likey!

singdaw

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2008, 08:37:35 AM »

And thus DR Miss Karen has fulfulled the HHW requirement for a rant o' the day...

;)

Miss Karen

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2008, 08:46:58 AM »

And thus DR Miss Karen has fulfulled the HHW requirement for a rant o' the day...

;)

You thought that was something -- don't get me started on bad drivers with cell phones -- or without cell phones. I'll make bk come across like a puppy dog ...

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2008, 08:49:35 AM »

Noel - Interesting post about HAIRSPRAY.  But at what point can one say that a show is considered by the general populace to be a quality show if awards and overwhelmingly positive reviews aren't a proper gauge of what's considered "good" in our society?  There will always be some people who don't like work that the critics and award-givers love, as they did HAIRSPRAY, won't there?  So where does it end?

I'm not sure how your questions relate to my post, answering BK's Topic Question about botched films of stage musicals.

Are awards a gauge of what's considered "good" in our society?  In a word, no.  Hairspray won a large number of Tonys, beating out a handful of other eligible shows, some of which had already closed.

If we're talking about what the general populace likes, well, there's no ballot box.  You have to listen.  What shows are people excited about, and talking about?  Nowadays, it seems to be August: Osage County.  People who've seen it really love it.

The critics have their opinions, and sometimes they're fairly unanimous (Hairspray: good; The Little Mermaid: bad).  What troubles me is that they rarely focus on the quality of the writing itself.  One can be so tickled by the comic performance of a larger-than-life star (Harvey Fierstein, say) that they ignore poor craft in music and lyrics.

We've seen countless examples of critics loving a show and the public never takes to it; or shows the critics loathed running forever.

I'm an individual, giving one man's opinion, and admit that I'm particularly obsessed by songwriting craft.  While Shaiman can conjure up a snappy rhythm, the other aspects of Hairspray's songs amount to treading water in a sense: They don't swim forward, make interesting points, or lead the ear in pleasing directions.  You want those qualities, listen to Amour or A Year With Frog and Toad, 2 scores that lost the Tony, that year, to one of the cast albums that I can't bear to play, Hairspray.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2008, 08:51:09 AM »

CLOVERFIELD

The clever aspect of Reeves’ film is that it’s all shot with a handheld camera that’s supposed to be the camcorder belonging to one of the main characters. This gives the film an intimate feel, and the look is very personal as the city is devoured by an identified creature from the black lagoon.

"Cloverfield" boasts a small but plucky cast of young unknowns, and they’re not bad, although none of them really breaks out. Lizzy Caplan as Marlena, who is bitten by the monster, does the most with the least in the Ally Sheedy role from "Breakfast Club." The others — Michael Stahl-David, T.J. Miller, Jessica Lucas and Odette Yustman — must bear the brunt of the script’s lack of humor or wit or any subplot. Give them points for that.

Sounds like a film bk can award ¼ stars out of 10!

der Brucer

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up