News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: RANT  (Read 35735 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:RANT
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2008, 10:41:45 AM »

Hmm.. 'Tis a puzzlement.

*In any case, that second link is for Brent Barrett's upcoming appearance at the Kennedy Center as part of the same "Barbara Cook's Spotlight" series that Emily & Alice are a part of.

I think WSMA rules require a photo

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:44:09 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Julie

« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2008, 10:42:50 AM »

Exactly 30 years ago, the greatest moment in the history of televised entertainment was broadcast:

At last my ears are complete again.

Truly priceless.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »

Hmm...  DR singdaw - I guess you could also pair up "She Loves Me" with "I'm in Love with a Wonderful Guy".

;)

How about I HATE MEN with SHE LOVES ME ?

Jennifer

« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »

RE: AMERICAN IDOL (last night's show).

Yep, DR Jose there were a lot of commercials. It seemed like here they were on every 10 minutes. Very annoying.

As for who i liked, there were a few.

I don't know any of their names but I liked:

1. the black girl with the sick daughter. I just loved her personality. But wow that story really got to me! :(

2. the blonde girl that sang last (the one who doesn't watch R rated movies and is a nanny). I also just got a good vibe from her.

3. the blonde girl from the log cabin/the cage fighter, horse trainer.

Jennifer

« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2008, 10:58:46 AM »

RE: cell phones.

The behavior you describe sounds horrifying.  Is that just an LA thing?  I mean i see plenty of people using cells here. But not usually driving the way BK described!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2008, 11:00:03 AM »

Vixmom asked what the difference is between hands free and talking to someone in the car.  For my money, having someone in the car keeps you IN THE CAR, and if your mind is wandering or your glancing at the person, if they're sane they'll let you know about it.  With hands free people tend to just forget where they are and enter a different world.

I think it depends on the driver & follows the theory you should keep your eyes on the road, not a the people in the car you are speaking to.  If I'm hands free I'm no more distracted than with another driver in the car, and I often stop the conversation when the situation calls for it.  Most people I know do the same thing.

Jennifer

« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »

DR Jose, re: the bad singers on IDOL.

I don't really like to watch them. Although i'm glad theya re showing less of the bad ones this year.

The only time i enjoy it (seeing the bad ones) is when they show a bunch of them singing the same song.

Because then we don't have to sit through the backstory, the swearing after they are rejected. And they are not embarrased in the same way. Plus i actually find it entertaining this way.

The princess leah one and the girl who lived in the studio with her mom (who went ballistic after she was rejected) were pretty awful.

Jane

« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »

Bruce, you had to mention people who look at you when they are driving-I really hate that!  Even worse is when they look at you and you are in the back seat-scary!

Jane

« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »

I really just stopped in to say hello & see how the bedbug situation is going.  CONTINUED VIBES DR ELMORE!

I have an excessive amount of work to do around here today, and friends will be stopping by later so I likely will not return until tomorrow.

Have a nice day.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2008, 11:06:41 AM »

How about I HATE MEN with SHE LOVES ME ?

Hmm... Maybe a medley is in order... "He Loves, and She Loves" could get it all started off.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2008, 11:10:24 AM »

re: Idol...

Are these people just trying for their 5 minutes of television fame?  Or do they really deep down in their heart of hearts believe that they are truly talented?  I just can't believe that someone could be that self-deluded.

singdaw

« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »

Maybe a medley is in order...

Medleys are your friend!   :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »

re: Idol...

Are these people just trying for their 5 minutes of television fame?  Or do they really deep down in their heart of hearts believe that they are truly talented?  I just can't believe that someone could be that self-deluded.

Well.. Some of them are, unfortunately.  However, some of them are also "influenced" by the production team over the course of the hours - and sometimes day(!) - of their audition process.  They keep going from room to room being told that they're going to get to sing for The Judges, and that they will most likely end up on TV, so...  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »

OK... I've got an appointment with a Lieutenant.  :)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »

I just can't believe that someone could be that self-deluded.

Well, I voted for Bush both times!

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »

Just finished fixing the last lyric I had to fix in the first act of the musical I'm mentoring.  Pages are still printing.

singdaw

« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »

Pages are still printing.

Is that in their contract?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »

Might there be some critical resentment toward shows so clearly geared toward a middle-class family audience?

der Brucer

I think it has less to do with middle-class family and more to do with how artfully it's accomplished.  

I agree with Feingold about the ending of the film and stage versions of LITTLE MERMAID. There can't be a happy ending for fish out of water and it's a reality ofo existence that everyne but the Disney machine sems to have overlooked.  Not all fairy tales have happy endings, not all abducted children are found alive and unviolated, praying to Go and the angels will not always save you, and ugly unimaginative stagings and design for Eurotrash operas or musicals  are the work of the devil.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2008, 11:36:53 AM »

Is that in their contract?

13 pages printing...
12 drummers drumming...

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2008, 11:40:48 AM »

I agree with Feingold about the ending of the film and stage versions of LITTLE MERMAID. There can't be a happy ending for fish out of water and it's a reality ofo existence that everyne but the Disney machine sems to have overlooked.  Not all fairy tales have happy endings, not all abducted children are found alive and unviolated, praying to Go and the angels will not always save you, and ugly unimaginative stagings and design for Eurotrash operas or musicals  are the work of the devil.

You are such a curmudgeon!

May a host of bed bugs invade your...
Oh wait...

Sorry.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »

How long do you have?   ;)

Glass houses, dear! Glass houses.  :-*
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »

Better you go to a nice Bible based film:

I'm still waiting for Song of Solomon.  ;)
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

singdaw

« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2008, 11:44:46 AM »

You are such a curmudgeon!

But such a cuddly curmudgeon!   :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »

But such a cuddly curmudgeon!   :)

The Randy Vicar and the Cuddly Curmudgeon!

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2008, 11:48:49 AM »

HERE (you had brackets amiss, I suspect)

LITTLE MERMAID REVIEW

der Brucer

Thank you!  I just dragged the URL from the VILLAGE VOICE post and it wouldn't work.  I've failed at this before.

The exterminator called: Saturday morning.  I didn't tell him I heard he was worthless.  Tomorow morning I shall pick up this anti-bedbug cocktail recommended by NEW YORK magazine: Steri-Fab, it's only $45/gallon and I need to buy a continuous action spray as well.  Oy!

So far today, I've purchased a new vacuum cleaner, since my tiny dust buster isn't doing well enough, and mattress cover to contain and seal off the mattress.  I won't consider buying a new mattress until I know the varmints are under control.

I've also pulled out the rug and junked it, and done another load of laundry and more things are encased in plastic bags.  Tomorrow I'll wash more items, including the sheets from the bed that I should have put into plastic bags yesterday.  I'm thinking about spraying the entire bed frame tonight and sleeping on the MBarnum memorial air mattress at Toyland.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:55:07 AM by elmore3003 »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2008, 11:56:06 AM »

BTW, before i leave that post, there is no unanimity to the idea that LITTLE MERMAID is "bad."  There may be a majority of the overnight reviews, but there were enough positive reviews so that one can say that its "overnight" reception was better than, say,  that of the stage BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

I take no joy in The Little Mermaid's critical drubbing.  But, dear FJL, on whether there's unanimity, the scorecard speaks for itself:
pans...
Village Voice
NY Times
New York Magazine
Hollywood Reporter
Variety
Toronto Globe & Mail
Financial Times
Newsday
New York Daily News
The Journal News
New York Post
New York Sun
Washington Post
Bergen Record
Hartford Courant
Chicago Tribune
Backstage
Curtain Up
A.M. New York
Theatermana
Talking Broadway

USA Today (mixed)

praise
Wall Street Journal
AP
Philadelphia Inquirer
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

singdaw

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2008, 11:58:11 AM »

it may have something to do with the length of the link.

:o

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

This apartment hasn't been in such chaos since the bookcases collapsed in August 2004.

There's this commercial for digital cable airing with a lot of mermaids and a rap artist (I use the term artist hesitantly) calling, in rhythm to what sounds like an accordion calypso  eight-seven-seven, three-nine-three-ee, fo-uh fo-uh fo-uh, eight. They air this commercial on CBS??? all afternoon.  The people who wrote that commercial and aired it should have bedbugs in perpetuity.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:35:12 PM by elmore3003 »

Ginny

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2008, 12:02:55 PM »

Wednesday afternoon greetings!  I had a very lazy morning and didn't venture out of the apartment until after lunch (leftover calzone from last night).  Spent most of the morning reading The Abortionist's Daughterby Elizabeth Hyde.  It's the book up for discussion tomorrow at Delafield Public Library - I'll probably go if the weather's not too bad.  

I'm in the library atrium using the wireless and will shortly drive over to Oconomowoc to check out a bookstore and other shoppes.  Due back here at 5pm (CST) for Evening Prayer, where DH Richard will again be an officiant.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2008, 12:03:43 PM »

The people who wrote that commercial and aired it should have bedbugs in perpetuity.

But it DOES make you remember the phone number, doesn't it!    8)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up