Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING BRAZILIAN  (Read 27597 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: WAXING BRAZILIAN
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2009, 08:59:11 AM »

I'll write more about it, but yes, The Dark Knight DVD is awful, quality-wise, and I'm sure this was done on purpose.   There's no excuse for a film released in 2008 to have this sort of transfer, and the sound is indeed very peculiar.  In fact, when the swirling smoke and the Batman logo came up at the beginning, there was almost NO sound at all and I thought there was something wrong, so I went to the audio page to make sure there wasn't some weird setup thing - there wasn't. 

I found the BD pretty remarkable, aside from some really bad edge enhancement and line shimmer in the opening skyline vista.  It's a purposely very dark film, so contrast is a little spotty, but sharpness and detail on the BD version was great, as was the sound design.  Just my 7 1/2 cents.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Michael

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2009, 08:59:15 AM »

I agree with

TOD:

THE CAROL BURNETTE SHOW
ROWAN & MARTIN'S LAUGH-IN
THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW (Sort of)
THE ANDY WILLIAMS SHOW (the one with the bear)
THE SONNY & CHER SHOW
THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS COMEDY HOUR
THE MUPPET SHOW
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (first 2 or  seasons)

I will add
The Julie Andrews Hour

&
From Canada
Julie (with my friend Julie Amato) I was on it a few times
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2009, 08:59:58 AM »

Last night we finally watched YOUNG @ HEART.  It is such an amazing & moving documentary.  Most moving & beautiful was the performance of FIX YOU by Fred Knittle.  To watch Click Here

Jane

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »

DR Jeanne, we have moved many times & I can’t recall having to be present to cancel a service.  It might be that the buyers need to have a starting date so the gas isn’t shut off.  Did the gas company offer an explanation, such as requiring you to sign off on the meter reading?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »

Is there some sound or music on the Batman logo at the top of the film, or does it play practically silent?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »

As I recall, it played silent.

I'm not a fan of the movie either.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2009, 09:11:43 AM »

Is there some sound or music on the Batman logo at the top of the film, or does it play practically silent?

I'll need to get it out and see, I can't recall.  I do remember the film had virtually no bossa nova music in it, however.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2009, 09:14:22 AM »

I guess I'll do the long jog - I'll try to get out of here between nine-thirty and ten.  Then it's writing.

Miss Karen

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2009, 09:14:58 AM »

Hey, it did it again today! Is there a time limit for posting here at HHW? I logged on, had been posting and then all of the sudden I'm listed as a guest again, even though my name is still showing on the list of viewers line. So I logged back in again and now I'm Miss Karen again, and not "Hey Guest" ... What's the deal, Lucille? Or BK? Or any DR?

JMK

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2009, 09:16:53 AM »

I just emailed JR and one of the Farmers that it looks like Hearst is closing the Seattle P-I, the paper that spent decades trashing Frances Farmer, both during her life and then for years afterward.  The author who wrote the spurious fictional biography may soon be out of a job.  Hooray.

JMK

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »

Hey, it did it again today! Is there a time limit for posting here at HHW? I logged on, had been posting and then all of the sudden I'm listed as a guest again, even though my name is still showing on the list of viewers line. So I logged back in again and now I'm Miss Karen again, and not "Hey Guest" ... What's the deal, Lucille? Or BK? Or any DR?

In your best Frank Thring voice:  Type fassssstttter, Salome.

Seriously, you may have a "cookie" problem.  I know I do.  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »

Der Brucer and I should be getting the replacement BD of Dark Knight soon.  He's very happy with the Amazon replacement/return deal.

Instead, we've been watching the BD of Get Smart.  I take it Dark Knight isn't as frothy?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »

Re:  The Smothers Brothers. I have told the story of opening for them many years ago, so you may all feel relieved to know I won't repeat that.  However, many years ago I had an NEA grant to write a musical and the opening number had an interior line (not even the "soprano" part of the piano voicing) in the piano accompaniment that sounded vaguely familiar to me.  I realized months later that it was tonally the same (not rhythmically) as Mason Williams' charming theme to The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. 

Miss Karen

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:25 AM »

In your best Frank Thring voice:  Type fassssstttter, Salome.

Seriously, you may have a "cookie" problem.  I know I do.  :)

Yes, I do! To quote Cookie Monster: "Yum, yum, eat 'em, up!" Actually, it's a sugar problem -- cookies, cake, pie, candy ...

... so it's my computer, heh? And not DR RonnieP trying to curtail my gratuitous posting? I was so sure it was some right-wing plot ....

Miss Karen

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2009, 09:31:24 AM »

I've got to make like DR Matt H and go clean a bathroom, a den .... and a kitchen, a bedroom -- well, the entire house needs the once over, and with no Evil Eye knocking at my door,  Adios!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »

You shouldn't be "timed" when posting - there's something off but I don't think it's anything to do with the board.  Have you checked the "always keep me logged in" box (or whatever it's called?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »

I adjusted some of the stuff I'd written yesterday, and in a few minutes shall do the long jog.  It looks beautiful out, but I just hope it's not too chilly and that the sun has warmed things up a bit.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2009, 10:12:11 AM »

In the news for today:

"If skies are clear Saturday, go out at sunset and look for the giant moon rising in the east. It will be the biggest and brightest one of 2009, sure to wow even seasoned observers."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... I had breakfast... And then I took a nap...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2009, 10:14:51 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... Again!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »

Not too chilly.

BK, according to the National Weather Service, the high today in Studio City will be something like 77 degrees.  Tomorrow, the high will be in the 80s.

Do you have any inkling what the weather is like for the rest of us?  Yesterday, we barely hit 40 here in Rehoboth!  And compared to others on the board, what der B and I are living with is downright balmy!

Not too chilly.   ::)  Sheesh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2009, 10:20:13 AM »

So...

When I was walking through the Park the other day (hmm, that almost sounds like a song), I heard someone running up behind me, then stop...

"Hey, why don't we run over here today?  Is that OK?"

I turned around and noticed that the man was talking to his border collie...

"Would that be OK with you?"

Then he leaned down and gave his dog a treat...

-And off they ran to the Sheep Meadow.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2009, 10:23:27 AM »

Not too chilly.

BK, according to the National Weather Service, the high today in Studio City will be something like 77 degrees.  Tomorrow, the high will be in the 80s.

Do you have any inkling what the weather is like for the rest of us?  Yesterday, we barely hit 40 here in Rehoboth!  And compared to others on the board, what der B and I are living with is downright balmy!

Not too chilly.   ::)  Sheesh.

Well, it's supposed to be in the mid-50s here in Richmond today, while in NYC they're gearing up for a snow storm and temps in the mid-20s.  It's amazing what a difference 300 miles can make.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2009, 10:25:34 AM »

And I do feel a bit "sad" that I'll be missing the snow in NYC today, but I'm still not sure how I feel about missing the No Pants! Subway 2k9 Ride;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2009, 10:26:26 AM »

The Dark Knight replacement disc has arrived, and der B is checking it out as I type.

Yep, it is working fine.  Looks great.  Sounds great.  I'll decide about the storyline later, when I get a chance to watch it myself.

After all, songs by ABBA don't work in every soundtrack.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2009, 10:26:50 AM »

DR singdaw - Glad to hear that you finally made it home last night.  I had heard about the Metro-North issues yesterday, and I'm sorry to hear that you were one of the "beneficiaries". ???

I hope your Amahl performances go swimmingly today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2009, 10:27:33 AM »

The Dark Knight replacement disc has arrived, and der B is checking it out as I type.

Yep, it is working fine.  Looks great.  Sounds great.  I'll decide about the storyline later, when I get a chance to watch it myself.

After all, songs by ABBA don't work in every soundtrack.

Well... You know, if you start "ABBA Gold!" just as the Batman logo comes up...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2009, 10:28:15 AM »

It's practically silent.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »

And count me as another non-fan of "The Dark Knight".  It was just too dark visually, too dark stylistically, and about 15-20 too long for me.  I'm not usually one to complain about too much violence in a movie, but I felt like those set pieces were in place long before the script, story and dialogue had even been considered.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2009, 10:32:55 AM »

And I do feel a bit "sad" that I'll be missing the snow in NYC today, but I'm still not sure how I feel about missing the No Pants! Subway 2k9 Ride;D

DR MBarnum misses all of the holidays in Manhattan!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up