Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: VIP AUTHOR  (Read 4167 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: VIP AUTHOR
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2018, 08:14:15 AM »

Be Well Vibes for DR Jrand!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »

Jane, I loved both Nobody’s Fool and its sequel, Everybody’s Fool. Richard Russo is a favorite, and I look forward to every new book of his.

Thanks.  Will it make for a good discussion?

It should. It’s a lively read with great characters. I loved Paul Newman and Jessica Tandy in the movie.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »

Feel better soon, JRAND.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 09:51:51 AM »

I like THE HANGING TREE; saw it when it first came out.

Karl Malden, who I knew, took over the direction of the film after Delmer Daves took ill.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 09:53:55 AM »

Our super Val came by to take my trash to the basement and Annabelle climbed all over him.  They have a really loving relationship that is amazing to see.  She's absolutely infatuated with him, and he is so sweet to her.

Thatch hides from everyone.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 09:55:00 AM »

T.O.D.

HIGH NOON
THE HANGING TREE
SGT. YORK
BEAU GESTE

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »

I've long toyed with the idea of writing a one-person play on Gary Cooper.

I keep going back and forth on it, because I'm not sure if one could sustain a 60-75 minute play where half the dialogue would be "Yup" or "Nope".

Seriously: Any thoughts as to whether Coop would be a good subject for a one-person play?

FJL

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »

I keep going back and forth on it, because I'm not sure if one could sustain a 60-75 minute play where half the dialogue would be "Yup" or "Nope".

Seriously: Any thoughts as to whether Coop would be a good subject for a one-person play?

This is something I'd really want to see.  I'd think the relationship with his wife Rocky could make for a play or film in itself, though the gift you have of creating a one-person play (rather than  regular play) out of a subject is why you're able to have success at that. 

I guess my tastes lead me to think of him more for Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and Meet John Doe more than what i suppose are the  more minimalist roles.  (And of course, his name being referenced and breathtakingly rhymed in "Puttin' On the Ritz.") Was there by any chance a contradiction between a complicated or normal person/life and a seemingly uncomplicated actor?  Or was it that what you saw is what he was?

FJL

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »

I've never been able to get past the first twenty minutes or so of "The Fountainhead."  Am i missing something special?

John G.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »

I’ve read that that was his character, very monosyllabic and not very open.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »

Marc Salling from Glee has committed suicide.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 11:25:15 AM »

I’ve read that that was his character, very monosyllabic and not very open.

That's the problem.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - awoke at ten after seven hours of sleep but stayed in bed for another forty-five minutes.

John G.

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2018, 11:31:36 AM »

In more sad news, Rick McKay, who made Broadway the Golden Age, has died.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2018, 11:32:38 AM »

I just heard about Rick.  So sudden - he's been all over Facebook posting up a storm.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 11:33:55 AM »

This is something I'd really want to see.  I'd think the relationship with his wife Rocky could make for a play or film in itself, though the gift you have of creating a one-person play (rather than  regular play) out of a subject is why you're able to have success at that. 

I guess my tastes lead me to think of him more for Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and Meet John Doe more than what i suppose are the  more minimalist roles.  (And of course, his name being referenced and breathtakingly rhymed in "Puttin' On the Ritz.") Was there by any chance a contradiction between a complicated or normal person/life and a seemingly uncomplicated actor?  Or was it that what you saw is what he was?

My thought was to center it around the making of HIGH NOON.  His affair with Patricia Neal was winding down at that point, and his friend, Carl Foreman, one of the film's writers, had just been blacklisted. 

On the other hand, I could set it at the end of his life, as he looks back with regret at that period in his life.

But, once again, Coop was not that talkative.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »

George, please let me know what you think if you read the book.  I will be saving it for March if we pick it.

I will...if I remember by then...whenever that may be. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »

How terrible.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 11:50:01 AM »

I am feeling so hot and hope I am not getting a virus.  I have a follow up appt. with my nurse practitioner on Thursday, so we shall see.

~~~Stay Well Vibes for Jrand!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »

In more sad news, Rick McKay, who made Broadway the Golden Age, has died.

I had heard that he was ill.

George

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »

Oh, no! :(

FJL

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »

My thought was to center it around the making of HIGH NOON.  His affair with Patricia Neal was winding down at that point, and his friend, Carl Foreman, one of the film's writers, had just been blacklisted. 

On the other hand, I could set it at the end of his life, as he looks back with regret at that period in his life.

But, once again, Coop was not that talkative.

Is Patricia Neal still well-known enough to do a play that's a two-hander featuring her and Gary Cooper?  (She seemed very warm and chatty while she was well, and could maybe fill in the talkativeness blanks?)

Laura

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »

Good afternoon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »

Three-month old Carter was dumped at Manhattan Animal Care Center today by his owner.  I'd adopt him in a second but after spending the past three months nursing sick kitties, I'm not ready to do it so soon.  The baby is healthy, but I'd bet you that within a week, if he's not adopted, he will be on the kill list for upper respiratory infection and/or conjunctivitis; that place is a breeding ground.

Hw could anyone dump this adorable baby?

John G.

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2018, 01:59:47 PM »

Three-month old Carter was dumped at Manhattan Animal Care Center today by his owner.  I'd adopt him in a second but after spending the past three months nursing sick kitties, I'm not ready to do it so soon.  The baby is healthy, but I'd bet you that within a week, if he's not adopted, he will be on the kill list for upper respiratory infection and/or conjunctivitis; that place is a breeding ground.

I don’t know, Elmore. He’s a real beauty.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2018, 02:17:01 PM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  Rebecca and I had lunch plans for today and I went a little early to shop in some of the surrounding stores.  First stop:  Half Price Books, where I found one of the 2 items I was looking for and then was panhandled in the arts and crafts section.  That ended my store-crawling and I just went to Panera and waited for Rebecca, who was early, too.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »

Thanks, everyone.  Trying to stay well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2018, 02:18:21 PM »

Such terrible news.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »

Thanks, everyone.  Trying to stay well.

I meant to comment earlier.  I hope it's nothing serious.  It took me over four weeks to shake the thing that hit me on Dec. 26. dp please take care of yourself.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »

I don’t know, Elmore. He’s a real beauty.

The owner abandoned him?   It breaks my heart. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up