Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY  (Read 45572 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
« Reply #330 on: March 09, 2007, 05:51:45 PM »

Edi-I appreciate the interesting Closer updates, without giving anything away. :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #331 on: March 09, 2007, 05:52:28 PM »

Good calves from all the rollerblades.  ;)

Good calves come from great heifers!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

François

« Reply #332 on: March 09, 2007, 05:52:37 PM »

Dawn Upshaw: The dawn of a renewed voice
Friday, February 02, 2007
DAVID STABLER
The Oregonian

When Dawn Upshaw walks onstage Thursday to perform at the Newmark Theatre, the acclaimed soprano won't just inaugurate a new vocal series in Portland. Her concert also marks Upshaw's return to the stage for the first time since being diagnosed last August with breast cancer.

Upshaw's silvery voice and easygoing grace have won audiences all over the world -- plus three Grammys -- and earned her the label "the diva next door." Thursday's concert will be her third appearance in Oregon. She sang in Eugene in 1992 and at Kaul Auditorium in 1999, both vocal high points.

This time, Upshaw, 46, opens the new Vocal Arts Series presented by Friends of Chamber Music. Two other concerts follow in the series this season: soprano Julianne Baird and the Aulos Ensemble on March 19; and Chanticleer, the male a cappella choir, on April 13-14.

Last summer's news didn't shock her, Upshaw said from her home in Westchester, N.Y. Eight years ago her sister was also stricken with breast cancer. Her sister is fine, now, but Upshaw knew she herself was at risk.

"I figured, someday, I'd get a call," she says.

Surgery removed two tumors, followed by two months of chemotherapy, which wasn't as bad as she feared, she says. "Nothing unbearable, nothing even close to being unbearable. But it wasn't fun."

Because doctors caught the cancer early, Upshaw's prognosis is very good, she says. Still, she's only just begun to process what happened.

"It's life-changing, but I don't have perspective on that yet. It's one of those things that has a huge impact on your life, like becoming a parent, and music." One thing she knows for sure is that throughout her recovery, family and friends, including Dana Upshaw, her sister who lives in Portland, never left her side. "I feel I am blessed through this strange journey."

Upshaw remembers feeling unfocused while going through chemo. "It was hard to read a book. I didn't even attempt to worry about how things would affect my work."

But with a winter tour looming, she had to start thinking about what music she wanted to sing. "I had to program this recital long before I knew how I was going to feel that day. I didn't particularly feel like singing. What do I want to sing about? What do I think I can sing?"

Her choices, informed through growing up with folk music and pioneering new music by John Harbison, John Adams and Oswaldo Golijov, mix down-home and ethereal art song.

She'll open with three Stephen Foster songs that she calls soothing and calming. "They call me into the evening of music-making," she says.

Robert Schumann's "Mignon" is full of yearning, and Hugo Wolf's "Bekehrte" relates the awe and sensuality of a first experience with love.

Four songs from "The Nursery" by Russian composer Modest Mussorgsky call on Upshaw to become childlike in character, while one of her favorite composers, the Argentinean Golijov, contributes an entirely different feeling. "Lua descolorida" is about a woman speaking to the moon. "She's desperate, asking for comfort from the light of the moon because she feels so lost, but she can't even bear that light. She wants to disappear."

Upshaw ends on a light note with three wonderful "Cabaret Songs" by William Bolcom, including the delightful "Black Max" and the whip-smart "Amor."

Upshaw's voice is changing, she says, just one more element in life that doesn't stay put. "I feel even more comfortable with my lower range than in the beginning of my career. It feels fuller."

"I like variety," she adds. "You connect with different texts, even different music, as the years pass."

©2007 The Oregonian

DERBRUCER

« Reply #333 on: March 09, 2007, 05:55:34 PM »

...the DRs take it straight for those stairs!  Wheeeeeeeeeee!

I'm not sure the "straight" part is always true 8)

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #334 on: March 09, 2007, 05:56:58 PM »

Mrs. Miller's granddaughter, perchance?

der Brucer

I like Mrs. Miller. She is a kick.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

singdaw

« Reply #335 on: March 09, 2007, 05:57:03 PM »

Edi-I appreciate the interesting Closer updates, without giving anything away.
DR Edisaurus, I am just curious - and I do not watch The Closer, so I have no vested interest, but - when you are awarded this kind of work, do you have to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement with either the production company or the network?

Although if you are involved, I may need to start watching!

Jane

« Reply #336 on: March 09, 2007, 05:57:29 PM »

Adriana-yuck and ouch.  GOOD TOE VIBES!

Elmore-continued vibes all works out with your office space.

Jane

« Reply #337 on: March 09, 2007, 05:59:52 PM »

Matt H-Thank you.  I thought you knew about all the shows.  I’m surprised you weren’t watching Eureka.  I looked it up & it returns in July.

Jane

« Reply #338 on: March 09, 2007, 06:06:13 PM »

Jose-Thank you and I’m glad you are enjoying the auditions.

Keith’s mother is home and sounds happy to be feeling uncomfortable, compared to the pre-surgery pain.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #339 on: March 09, 2007, 06:07:22 PM »

Although if you are involved, I may need to start watching!

Well, Edisaurus or no Edisaurus, The Closer is damn good TV!

And, since it's on TNT, if you miss the first airing, they always have a second one a few hours later.

der Brucer

Tomovoz

« Reply #340 on: March 09, 2007, 06:16:42 PM »

I don't know exactly what the time difference is between here and Australia, but I'm convinced that DR Tomovoz never sleeps!  Ever!  :)
Axiomatic statement.
(If I'm not on the Board I am lurking)

Some DRs have met me so can attest to the signs of sleeplessness embossed on the face.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #341 on: March 09, 2007, 06:24:31 PM »

Farley Granger's autobio arrived from Amazon.com today.  It's worth buyng if only for the section on the 2nd rate musical (and guilty pleasure) First Impressions.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #342 on: March 09, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »

Well, Edisaurus or no Edisaurus, The Closer is damn good TV!

And, since it's on TNT, if you miss the first airing, they always have a second one a few hours later.

der Brucer

Singdaw-I suggest you rent Season 1 & 2 and watch the series from the beginning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #343 on: March 09, 2007, 06:25:23 PM »

Some DRs have met me so can attest to the signs of sleeplessness embossed on the face.

Is that what those were?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #344 on: March 09, 2007, 06:26:47 PM »

;D ;D ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #345 on: March 09, 2007, 06:30:06 PM »

Waht? Mr George (I have ever musical show album -ever) doesn't have Randy Newman's Faust?

With the vocal talents of Linda Ronstadt, Don Henley, James Taylor, Elton John, Bonnie Raitt, and Randy Newman .

der Brucer

Well...no, actually, I don't. ::) It's just one of those CDs that I didn't get when I first saw it.  I think it went out of print for a while, but it's available again.  I know that the song, "Life Has Been Good To Me" was used in the 3-D episode of "Third Rock From the Sun."  I really liked that. :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 06:31:39 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #346 on: March 09, 2007, 06:30:20 PM »

I had intended to start watching a motion picture on DVD, but the phone has not stopped ringing and then I had to write down some notes that came to me whilst in the shower (for the book).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »

Der B---the puppeteer friend who is on GOOD EATS from time to time is Matt "Lucky" Yates.

I think he played Igor on last evening's "Fruit 10 From Outer Space" - skinny, creepy, Goth-guy. (Fun!)

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »

Actually, though, everything I plant will probably wither up and die. I am a terrible gardener.

DR Laura, this makes me laugh, not at you, but because it reminds me of me.  When I first moved back to Iowa from Arizona, I was bound and determined to have a huge garden in the wonderful black Iowa dirt.   I picked out plants and planted some things from seed. I started watering in the beginning and then, as always I lost steam.  The weeds took over and I gave up.  
I am again thinking of planting a vegetable garden this year...lol.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #349 on: March 09, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »

Or you.  *I thought that might have been a title of something that's been in your VCR.

I heard it was a remark that you've never made before!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #350 on: March 09, 2007, 06:35:42 PM »

Last night Amy/Edi asked

I just listened to DR Ben on Radio Wales...what a melodious voice! I might have to snag him as a narrator one day.

Ben, where do you record your segments?

Currently I do it in our bedroom with a microphone connected to the computer and a shareware recording program called Audio Record Wizard. I then burn the reviews to a disc and mail it to our friends in Cardiff. When the whole thing began I recorded the segments over the phone. The producer would call me around 7am (Noon Cardiff time) at my office. Since I was the only person in at that time I would sit at my desk and record the segments. It became easier to record them on my computer and send them out. For a while, instead of burning them to a disk I sent them as sound files in an e-mail. E-mails can get lost or blocked or erased so the disc seems to be the best option.

Don't tempt me with offers of narration. Even though it's not "acting" I love that kind of stuff  :D

Your voice is wonderful, DR Ben, and I always enjoy hearing your reviews.  Maybe we could start a radio theater company?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #351 on: March 09, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »

Maybe early in the morning I can attack the yard with a pick.

Better the yard than the neighbor!

der Brucer

Reader Laura swung a pick,
Into the head of the drunken hick,
When Sandra saw what Mom had done
She raised her Cherry Coke and cheered: "Mom has won!"

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 06:43:32 PM by DERBRUCER »

George

« Reply #352 on: March 09, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »

Your voice is wonderful, DR Ben, and I always enjoy hearing your reviews.  Maybe we could start a radio theater company?

I'd love to do this, too! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2007, 06:40:48 PM »

It's time for me to go to the theater!  I'm actually paying for a ticket instead of ushering, but I'm not sure what it is that I'm going to see. ::) Some friends of mine have a small theater company, so I must support them. :) I'll be back later!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2007, 06:41:46 PM »

Better the yard than the neighbor!

der Brucer

Reader Laura swung a pick,
Into the head of the neighbor hick,
When Sandra saw what Mom had done
She raised her Cherry Coke and cheered: "Mom has won!"

I have nothing against Mr. Goldstein. How about a drunken hick instead?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

François

« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »

A Candide opinion: we must let our garden grow!

Jane

« Reply #356 on: March 09, 2007, 06:42:10 PM »

We recently discovered a funny show on BBC, WHO’S LINE IS IT ANYWAY?   I’m not sure but it seems TIVO records several half hour episodes a day. The advantages of watching a show long past its original airdate, you get to watch an episode or two a night.  

There was  an American version with Drew Carey which I don’t remember, nor have I seen it.  Has anyone seen either version?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #357 on: March 09, 2007, 06:42:19 PM »

Maybe we could start a radio theater company?[/size]
Well, they don't make Mercurys anymore, so you'll have to be "The Lincoln Radio Theatre"!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #358 on: March 09, 2007, 06:44:28 PM »

I have nothing against Mr. Goldstein. How about a drunken hick instead?

As you have asked, so is it done!

der Brucer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #359 on: March 09, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »

DR Edisaurus, I am just curious - and I do not watch The Closer, so I have no vested interest, but - when you are awarded this kind of work, do you have to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement with either the production company or the network?

No, but even without one, I would never post anything that would do anything more than hint at what was to come, which I think makes people more inclined to tune in. I also make a point not to give away any plot points in the promos. I don't want to upset Matt! :)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up