Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HOT NUTS  (Read 31373 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:HOT NUTS
« Reply #240 on: September 08, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »

Jose, it really is a shame that with so much at stake the students come in unprepared. Maybe the teachers are afraid of hurting their feelings by criticizing them, but how else are you going to learn except by having someone tell you?

Personally, I feel that too many people give false praise so as not to hurt feelings, but I don't really think that does anyone any favors.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #241 on: September 08, 2007, 05:46:04 PM »

A bit late for the topic of the day, but I love cashews, pistachio nuts, and macadamia nuts, salted, preferably covered in chocolate.
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #242 on: September 08, 2007, 05:46:24 PM »

Today I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #243 on: September 08, 2007, 05:51:11 PM »

DR Jose- Do you ever notice which schools the poorly prepared students  come from and which schools the well prepared students come from?

It really is a shame & I can imagine how difficult it is for you to watch.  Can real talent still shine through?

Jane

« Reply #244 on: September 08, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »

Thank you DR Laura for brightening the day. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #245 on: September 08, 2007, 06:02:28 PM »

I shall go to dinner at six-thirty and hopefully be home by eight, so I can just relax and try and get a good night's sleep.

How is the food at six-thirty?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2007, 06:10:14 PM »

Jose, it really is a shame that with so much at stake the students come in unprepared. Maybe the teachers are afraid of hurting their feelings by criticizing them, but how else are you going to learn except by having someone tell you?

Personally, I feel that too many people give false praise so as not to hurt feelings, but I don't really think that does anyone any favors.

I would much rather have a teacher hurt my feelings; than to be laughed off of a stage by several hundred people!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2007, 06:10:41 PM »

Dakota you look darling.

Jane

« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2007, 06:13:19 PM »

The last time September 11th was on a Tuesday I was hosting my book clubs September lunch meeting.  Less than half the people canceled, many wanted to come & I wanted them as well.  It was good for all of us.  

Cilla-I hope you have good news regarding your colleague.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 06:13:34 PM by Jane »

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2007, 06:18:53 PM »

I just returned from an art show held by LACC Alumni Mike Cormier. It was a very fun and interesting event and I handed out flyers for our fundraiser in November to various people who were interested. My mother and I then went into the shops in the area and amused ourselves. I had a really good time and so did my mom.

On the way home I had Ice Cream  :)
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #250 on: September 08, 2007, 06:20:32 PM »

I just returned from an art show held by LACC Alumni Mike Cormier. It was a very fun and interesting event and I handed out flyers for our fundraiser in November to various people who were interested. My mother and I then went into the shops in the area and amused ourselves. I had a really good time and so did my mom.

On the way home I had Ice Cream  :)

So, Miss Patti, can you give me a list of the scheduled performers for the fundraiser?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »

With all this talk about nuts I just had to open a jar of Mele Macs
http://islandprincesshawaii.com/products/mele_macs/300-1.html

singdaw

« Reply #252 on: September 08, 2007, 06:40:51 PM »

Here is SingDaw at work:

That is pretty accurate, DR dB...

Only I usually adorn myself with a hot pink ribbon in my hair.

singdaw

« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »

DR MBarnum...  What can one say?  I am so very sorry at your loss.  Hoping that time and happy memories will help you with the healing.

singdaw

« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Crimee!  Hoping that it is not true about your colleague.

Jane

« Reply #255 on: September 08, 2007, 06:49:26 PM »

I often munch on toasted slivered almonds or plain walnuts.  I prefer munching on cashews but they are more fattening than other nuts.  They can also bother my allergies, as most nuts do including the toffee macadamia ones I’m currently eating, depending how they are prepared.  I avoid coconuts for the same reason, toasted is ok, fresh not.  Simply because they are a nuisance to eat, I don’t eat pistachios very often even though I enjoy them & they don’t bother my allergies.

While technically a Legume, my favorite peanuts come from the Peanut Shop in Williamsburg… http://www.thepeanutshop.com

I’m not keen on pecans & prefer not to have nuts in my ice cream.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2007, 06:50:25 PM »

It really is a shame & I can imagine how difficult it is for you to watch.  Can real talent still shine through?

It's my observation from auditions that no matter how talented you are, no one will know it or care if the audition's unprepared, underrehearsed, or sloppy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2007, 06:50:56 PM »

TCB, I don't know if I'll remember them all, but we've got Alice Ripley, Ken Page, Kevin Spirtas, Linda Hart (looks like it will work out), Bruce Vilanch, Misty Cotton, Alet and Andy Taylor, Michelle Nicastro, members of the LA company of Wicked, Linda Purl, and a few others.  More to come this week.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2007, 06:52:39 PM »

Had a nice dinner with Juliana at the Carnegie Deli, a completely weird deli in which all the waiters seem to be Chinese.  Go know.  I had a good pastrami sandwich and a cup of chicken soup to help my itchy throat.  We hashed out some stuff and all is well.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2007, 06:54:44 PM »

I went to a Duane Reade to get some stuff I needed - and am now fully stocked with Diet Coke, which I'd just run out of.  Got some Ricola's and Mucinex for my throat and some Tums, should I need them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »

I think I've actually put on a couple of pounds, which, to me, is absolutely insane.  I haven't been overeating and I've been walking at least three miles every day.  Go know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2007, 06:57:04 PM »

I just have to relax for the rest of this evening, then try to get some sleep.  I shut off the air, so it's already getting uncomfortably warm in here - but I know that's the prob - it's about eighty-five out with dead air, and then you come into a house that's about sixty degrees.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »

Are we STILL on page nine?  You'd think it was a Saturday or something.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2007, 06:57:54 PM »

I wonder if there's anything worth watching on Ye Olde TV?

FJL

« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »

Bk - I take it you're not finding the deserted streets of NYC very late at night nearly as creepy as I find them.

Or do you have the good sense to take cabs after 11 or so?  :)

FJL

« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2007, 07:08:08 PM »

Or do you just not stay out past 11?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2007, 07:11:27 PM »

It's been very few times that I've been out past eleven.  I'm elderly you know.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from dinner... :)

Each fall, the SETC staff arranges a couple tables at LaVecchia's Seafood Grille.  It's a nice chance for everyone to get together and mingle, and have a very nice meal before the craziness of the weekend kicks in.  In the past, I've not been able to attend the dinner since I usually come in Saturday night, so no time to dine.  Well, since I was already here today...

I had a wonderful time, and a wonderful meal.  Just to get the food selections out the way:

Appetizer: She Crab Soup
Entree: Petit Filet with Stuffed Shrimp accompanied by a glass of Ravenswood Zinfandel
Dessert: Chocolate Truffle Bombe with a Mocha Cappucino

All quite delicious, and the portion sizes were perfect. I'm full, but not stuffed.  In any case...

While walking to the restaurant, I ran into two former college professors of mine... "Hi, Mom and Dad!"  I had seen Liz a few months ago in Atlanta at the Spring Conference, but I hadn't seen Gary, her husband, in a couple of years.  So we ended up sitting together at one of the tables, and we had a wonderful catching up.  I had MD'd a few musicals for Gary while I was in and out of school, and when I moved back to Richmond, I first stayed with them for a few months while I was getting my housing lined up.  Like I said, "Mom and Dad."

I also finally got thank Gary for all the "stuff" he taught me over the years just from being in the same room with him: how to talk to actor's, how to dissect a script, how to keep a level head during rehearsals, etc.  And he thanked me for all the musical knowledge I provided him with.  We actually both got a bit teary-eyed.

And as it turns out, they both came today just for some committee meetings, and are heading back up to Richmond tomorrow.  -Where they might end up running into my parents at the grocery store now.  ;)  Again, a wonderful meal, but more importantly, a wonderful evening spent with some dear friends.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2007, 07:15:34 PM »

It's my observation from auditions that no matter how talented you are, no one will know it or care if the audition's unprepared, underrehearsed, or sloppy.

I'm referring to grad school auditions.  Isn't this what these were?  The purpose of grad school is continuing education & the school should be able to correct these faults.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2007, 07:18:49 PM »

Bk - I take it you're not finding the deserted streets of NYC very late at night nearly as creepy as I find them.

Or do you have the good sense to take cabs after 11 or so?  :)

What?!??!

The streets of NYC are most certainly not deserted after 11:00 - or even after midnight for that matter.  Heck, even the Hershey's Store and M&M's World are open until midnight, and the Virgin Megastore in Times Square stays open until 2:00am on the weekends.

Heck, just walking home at Mary Poppins is still quite the pedestrian obstacle course in midtown - and the show gets out at 10:45.  And there are a whole slew of street vendors and artists who don't set up shop on the streets until after midnight.  And that crazy good Halal Meat Food Cart on Sixth Ave and 50th(?), still has lines 20-30 people deep until they shut down at 3:00am.

-And then there's the whole East Village scene....

*And there's nothing like grabbing a fresh off the truck donut from one of those mobile carts just after they've set up shop around 4:30AM. :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up