Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DISAPPOINTING DOG  (Read 33496 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE DISAPPOINTING DOG
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »

Page five!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »

Where is everybody tonight?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »

Having fun, I would imagine.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »

I did earlier. Went out to two restaurants I hadn't been to in a while. the first was pan-Latin. Great crabcake with avocado, fried carnitas (pork bits), Moors and Christians (black beans and rice), and an arepa, or corn cake, with pulled pork. Had a pisco sour with nutmeg grated on top.

Then it was off to a terrific Belgian place for salmon with a beurre blanc and a touch of Dijon. Followed by a butternut squash tart with nutmeg (a theme, I guess) and whipped cream.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »

Nobody here.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »

I should be working.
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »

I should be sleeping. 

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »

It's MONO I tell you!  It's MONO!  (talking sound, not health)  ;)

Please provide your technical expertise credentials before you make such an assertion.

I have ears.

Exactly.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2011, 08:56:25 PM »

I think I actually managed to fix this cheapo used laptop Betsy got from her workplace.  I'm feeling technically savvy all of a sudden.  I'm sure it will pass.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »

I'm fading fast. Night, all.
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »

I'm back from Follies.  What a great time I had!  First, Jose and Priscilla and I met for dinner.  We went to a kind of food court at the Water Tower Mall (I think that's it).

Then it was off to Navy Pier.  What an interesting place.  They have all kinds of Halloween decorations and such things as a llizard man slithering on the ground.  They also had an outdoor production of Rumpelstiltskin acted as if it were a marionette show, with the actors being controlled by a woman holding the strings attached to them.  The Ferris wheel is gigantic!

KevinH

« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »

We went to the theatre and met Jose's friend, Dave.  We were all sitting in different sections, so we got together after the show. 

I thought the production of Follies was really great!  It's very different from the NY production.  Of course, it's on a much smaller scale.  The orchestra is behind the stage (raised above it).   

The actors were wonderful.  Caroline O'Connor is a real triple threat.  She is very much at ease dancing in the "Lucy and Jessie"  number and a great singer and actress. 

I really preferred Hollis Resnick's version of "I'm Still Here" to Elaine Page's.   

And what can I say about Mr. Barrett?  His "Too Many Mornings" was fantastic, as was his entire performance. 

KevinH

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »

It's late, so I'll say goodnight for now.   But there's more to come.  Pictures were taken and should be forthcoming!

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2011, 10:52:15 PM »

It was a great night tonight.  It was great to meet Kevin and to see Jose again.   I had never seen FOLLIES before, although I knew almost all the songs.  I loved it and loved the performances of everyone.  We had a great time afterwards visiting with Jose's friend David, Brent Barrett, Caroline O'Connor and others.... photos to follow....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »

Good Evening!

Yes! We all had a wonderful time at Follies. And after Follies! -And I'm sooooo happy that David's cold abated just in time for him to catch tonight's show.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »

In fact, my whole day was pretty wonderful. Good food, a great concert by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, a wonderful show, and, most of all, great friends.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2011, 11:01:53 PM »

You can say that again, Jose!!  David is really nice, I'm glad he was feeling up to joining us

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2011, 11:02:03 PM »

I took some pictures today too, but I won't be able to post anything until I get back to NYC tomorrow. -It'll give everyone something to look forward to. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2011, 11:02:58 PM »

DR elmore - Caroline sends her Love right back atcha! She'll be in NYC for a few days after Follies closes, so be sure to touch base with her to see if you can get together.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2011, 11:07:16 PM »

One very interesting thing about Follies earlier tonight...

There was an older couple sitting next to me and David. They were "cute" - meaning she would occasionally sing-along and he would tap his program in rhythm every now and then. ::) Well... Right after "I'm Still Here", the husband starts to get really fidgety... And as the scene between Sally and Ben plays out, he gets more fidgety... "I don't want to sit through this!" -Why not? "I didn't realize it was going to be about us..." -But it's a show... "Well... I really want to leave. Now."

And they headed out as "Too Many Mornings" began.

Spoo!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2011, 11:13:27 PM »

DR Jane - When I stopped by Vanille Patisserie earlier, I found out that I know one of the owners, the wife! We have a bunch of mutual friends in NYC, and I met her right before she made the move to Chicago. Small world! *I only treated myself to one entremet: The Earl - Earl Grey infused Chocolate Mousse & Banana Caramel in a Chocolate Tart Shell. Très delicieux! I may stop by again tomorrow on the way to the airport for another one. However, I did get a few boxes of their macarons for DRs Cillaliz and KevinH. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »

Where is everybody tonight?

Well... Ya' see... There's this show currently running in Chicago called Follies...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »

Melody's mom sent me an e-mail this morning.  They're agent shopping and Melody needs a one-minute dramatic and comedy monologue.  They found the drama, but couldn't find anything remotely funny that a thirteen year old could do.  I told her I'd think about it - and I couldn't think of anything either.  On my jog, I got an idea, and when I got back I wrote her a monologue.  I sent it to them without telling them it was me.  They loved it and wanted to know what it was from so they could read the play.  I 'fessed up that I'd written it just for her.  And her mother said, "That's why it's perfect for her."  Here it is:

Molly:  Can I tell you about my mother?  I need to tell you about my mother.  Please, let me tell you about my mother.  Okay, I’m telling you about my mother.  She’s crazy. She’s thirty-eight years old. She’s having some kind of mid-life whatever.  She wants to be my age, she wants to be thirteen.  She wants to be best friends and do what I do and hang out with me all the time.  I told her I have lots of friends my age, that I need her to be an adult.  She took away my cell phone for using the “A” word.   She wants to have sleepovers.  I told her, mother we live in the same house, we have sleepovers every night.  That’s not good enough.  She wants to sleep in my room and stay up late and act stupid.  She wants me to call her Eileen.  Who wants to call their mother Eileen?  First of all, her name is Dorothy.  But she saw some old movie on cable, My Sister Eileen, and now she wants to be Eileen.  She does that all the time.  Last week she saw The Sound Of Music and wanted me to call her Leisl.  She kept on singing I am sixteen going on seventeen – I sang back, you are sixteen going on thirty-eight – she took away my cell phone for being an ungrateful daughter.  Yesterday she came into my room to show me her new thong.  Can I just tell you that the one thing a thirteen year old never needs to see ever is their mother wearing a thong?  Fail.  I just want my mother back.  I want thirty-eight to be the new thirty-eight not the new thirteen.   

bk - That's a good monologue. However... Be sure she keeps looking for something from the "standard canon" as it were. Some agents, directors, etc. have an aversion to "specialty material" - especially if it's not excerpted from a longer work. There are a bunch of anthologies and listings. It will be worth the effort for her to find some more companion pieces.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »

~~~~~{{{{{DR TCB}}}}}~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »

I'm back from the Austin Film Festival roundtable.

I enjoyed myself; met some nice people.

DR Druxy - Did anyone ask any fun, new questions? Did you give any fun, new answers? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2011, 11:21:06 PM »

Yippee!!  My new TV arrived today. It's a 3D set. I know not everyone likes 3D but I've been a fan ever since I first saw 3D films back in the '50s and modern 3D is vastly better than that. I've got to wait now for a prospective buyer to purchase my old set which I can then remove from the wall before putting the new one up.

Did you get one of the Samsung models? There's a "Samsung Experience" store in the Time-Warner Center at Columbus Circle, and it's fun walking in there when they're showing off the new 3D "films" created especially for the store.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »

Good evening!  Hi Keving H....Jose will be calling you any minute now

And I did! I did!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »

My mom asked me how the meeting was going....oops.

;D

I wish I were there with you, Jose & Kevin.

You just want the entremets, DR Jane. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »

Who the FRELL is Mr. G?

My high school English/Drama teacher was "Mr. G." - Or Mr. Garcia for long.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2011, 11:26:20 PM »

Energy and health vibes for JRand. My allergies are putting in a kinda puny mood today, too, so I can understand where you're coming from.

Hope you're no longer feeling puny, DR John G.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up