Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO AND DISH  (Read 21928 times)

MBarnum

Re:TIVO AND DISH
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2004, 05:47:13 PM »

I was going to get a dish, but on my budget, all I could afford was Melmac!

TCB you made me guffaw so hard I think I hurt myself! LOL!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2004, 05:53:40 PM »

DR Pogue - I admire your fortitude in never having walked out on a theatrical performance. I used to be that way, but I find these days that my tolerance level is not great - neither is my back. So to sit through three acts of something that I REALLY disliked one act of is a little too altruistic for my taste. On the other hand, I do agree with you that one has no right to criticize something not seen all the way though. So I'll amend my initial remark and say that Tennessee Williams badly done (in the first act) is painful.

Had a wonderful reunion this afternoon with an Indian cinematographer - now director - with whom I worked on many films in Canada. In one of those strange six-degrees-of-separation occurrences, I was at a Hanukah party given by my landlady for her family, when this man's name came up. When I said I'd known him in Canada I was told that he and his family had just moved here. I got in touch - and this afternoon we met for the first time in almost 20 years. We had a splendid talk and he said something I'll treasure.  He travels a great deal and just came back for a few days to help his wife with the children, before heading back to Canada. But as it turned out he wasn't really needed, she had everything under control. He said, "I was wondering why I came here. And now I know. It was to see you today."

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2004, 05:58:59 PM »

I rather enjoy the informed discussion (and it is most informed here) that takes place at HHW about film, theatre and music.  If you look at yesterday's/today's discussion, you saw quite a bit of in-depth and objective commentary about TLOTR:  TROTK that went far beyond the simplistic "I liked it" or "I didn't like it."  Even though some Dear Readers had more quibbles with the film than others, there was no flaming and no disrespect shown (the unseemly removal of karma points notwithstanding.)

All of which reminds me of something I meant to post yesterday in the context of Dear BK's story about posts being removed and his being banished from some other site.  I appreciate very much that BK does not censor posts here.  (That is, unless they put us into C  i  n  e  r  a  m  a.)  I appreciate even more the courtesy and restraint shown by my fellow Dear Readers, even when widely divergent opinions are being aired.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2004, 06:09:23 PM »

I've thought about walking out on a number of plays/shows I've seen, but with one exception, I've always stuck it out in the hope that things improve in Act II.  In some cases, I've figured it couldn't get worse.  (Oh, a Cole Porter reference.)

Panni

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2004, 06:13:21 PM »

I just read yesterday's posts. Funny. (Not the serious ones, of course.) I'll try not to be too busy in the future to dry my hair and post.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 06:16:02 PM by Panni »

Michael

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2004, 06:21:34 PM »

Well I am back up and running. My new bed and bureau arrived yesterday. The carpet and tile people came and took their measurements. The painter got ill and ended up in the hospital and had to reschedule. Put together my desk and computer after moving to another part of the room. Still looking for new book cases and cd shelving to match the new decor. Got some wonderful stuff at The Pottery Barn. Never realized what nice things they have.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2004, 06:32:14 PM »

talking of hi def tv and all that my local cable provider adel[hia has it but only three stations are hi def  nbc, abc an showtime. not really an insentive to get it, is it?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 07:04:33 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2004, 06:32:52 PM »

The production of The Last 5 Years I saw today was quite good!

I've had the CD for a while, so I walked in fairly familiar with the show's music.  On the whole, I do like the score, though I think the lighter-hearted numbers, such as "Shiksa Goddess," "The Schmuel Song," "A Summer in Ohio," and the audition song (when Cathy provides running commentary on what's going on around her) are somewhat more successful and memorable than the darker songs in the play.  The wedding duet, bookended by each character's perspective on the scene in the rowboat on Central Park Lake is most effective (and romantic!)

I know some people have not been too keen on the central conceit--they would call it "gimmick"--of this show, in that the male character's story is told in forward progression and the female's in reverse.  I, for one, like it for its novelty, and even more so for the balance it provides over the course of the play.  If both characters' stories were told in forward progression, it would make for a mighty--and increasingly--depressing ninety minutes in the theatre, in my humble opinion (IMHO, in internet lingo.)

Until today, I was unaware how little dialogue there is in the play.  As such, it comes off as a staged song cycle or two-character chamber opera in the theatre.  The sets in this production were quite minimal, with two chairs the only constant elements on the raked platform of a playing area.  Physical locations and stages in the relationship between Jamie and Cathy were established with costumes, lighting (including some projections) and the occasional prop.  I found the production quite effective.

The intelligence of the orchestration struck me much more hearing this music played live in the theatre than when I listened to the CD.  The way some of the solo parts (especially for violin and cello) accented or colored what was being sung was memorable.  

Rick Cornette and Kim Huber were both superb as Jamie and Cathy.  Each of them has excellent vocal and acting ability, and they both are quite easy on the eye.

My only quibble, if I have one, is that Cathy's songs tended to be staged in rather static fashion, while the blocking for Jamie involved a fair amount of movement that generated engagement with the audience of itself.

td

• td
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2004, 06:40:44 PM »

Well, I see I have offended someone.  A Karma point has been taken away.  Probably my cruel and unwarranted remarks made against a beloved film we are not allowed to criticize.

I can assure you, it wasn't my wand which wasted your karma points.
My Karmalisicous Wand is programmed only to give karma, never ever take karma away.
and a bibbidi-bobbidi-boo to you, too.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2004, 06:46:06 PM »

BK wrote:
Pay no attention to that man behind the karma points.  Karma points are meaningless in the scheme of things.  Those who've been doing the taking away should think twice about doing so.  It's really pointless, and just because someone disagrees with you.  Given the fact that there is no finer place on the Internet in which opinions can be given back and forth, and interesting discussion on said opinions can be given honestly but NOT disrespectfully, well, then I guess I just don't "get" someone wanting to remove a karma point.  But, once again, the karma points are meaningless anyway, so worry not, care not, for we shall laugh and laugh.

I will agree with Bruce for the most part.  I don't see the point in removing a point just because someone is opinionated.  Especially when they give their opinions in a respectful kind way.

Where I will disagree is that the karma points are meaningless. Yes, in the grand scheme of things of course they are.  But "booing" people hurts them (or upsets them, or however you want to put it). Why would anyone on this site want to hurt another person? It makes no sense.  I've been having a really hard time this past week and a half. And I come here for comfort (not to see jealousy or negative attitudes).  If someone here makes me angry, I sometimes just give them karma, because they probably need it.

Oh and DR Jay: Did Mother like the show?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 06:48:15 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2004, 06:49:28 PM »

Oh and BK have you watched anything on your tv yet?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2004, 06:56:32 PM »

der Brucer: I don't KNOW what you're talking about - my post clearly says "KNOW" not "NOW"  ;D

I don't proof the Unseemly Interviews - Mr. Craig Brockman does that for me, and normally he does a good job, but on this interview he was busy and in a hurry and only used his spell check, hence the offending to/too.  

I just watched some Kennedy Center thing to Lily Tomlin.  Do they now do an Awards ceremony every week for someone?  

Naturally, I think I configured my wireless thing wrong.  It said to do the configuring automatically by clicking on a certain button when it came up.  The problem was that it also said to first insert the CDrom - as soon as I did that the screen with the button went away, so I did it manually and I had NO idea what they were talking about.  Is there a way to undo what I did and start over?  I'm actually not sure I did it wrong - perhaps I'll bring my laptop to work tomorrow to see if it works.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2004, 07:00:56 PM »

I see the Karma Faery has not only restored my lost point, but I now have an extra one that I did not have before.  Ah, joy, ah rapture!

You have one more now too, LC as well.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 07:03:11 PM by Jane »

Michael

« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2004, 07:03:17 PM »

The first few months will see alot of DVDs to be purchased by me

Babylon 5 (Season 4)
It Should Happen to You (My fav Judy Holliday film)
Barney Miller (Season 1) (One of my fav TV Series of all time)
Alice in Wonderland (Disney animee)
The Critic (complete series) a very funny animee series.
The Magic of Fellini (Love to know more about it)
One From the Heart (A bomb when released, but now???)
Time Bandits
The diary of anne Frank
Goodbye Mr. Chips (Robert DOnat)
Grand Hotel
My Fair Lady (hope it is a better transfer)
Planet of the Apes (2 disc 35th Annivesary edition)
Return to Oz (if its full screen. forget it)
HR Puffentstuff (complete series) a return to my childhood
One Million Years BC
Myra Breckinridge (Can't resite it. hope i is the original x)
The Disney Treasures (Donald, Mickey, War YEars)
Duel
Lord of the Rings
Forbidden Planet
meet me In St. Louis
THX 1138
King Kong
Ed Wood

I am sure there will be others out. But this is not a bad start
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 07:13:52 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2004, 07:05:12 PM »

Oh and DR Jay: Did Mother like the show?

Indeed, she did, Dear Reader Jennifer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2004, 07:06:28 PM »

Can someone confirm that Curb Your Enthusiasm is on at 9:30 on the West Coast.  I was flipping the HBO channels and it was already running at six-thirty.  I shut it off the minute I saw it was on.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2004, 07:06:33 PM »

Went to see the dreadful movie PAYCHECK today.  It wasn't even junky fun like most John Woo films; just a retread version of TOTAL RECALL.  Which didn't even need to be retreaded to begin with.  Ben Affleck looked awful cute though; Uma Thurman, on the other hand, just looked awful.  

I am so glad we skiped it today.

Michael

« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2004, 07:08:06 PM »

Oh yes.

Not for me, but for my pal TD

Angel Season Three Street date 2/10/04

« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 07:10:10 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2004, 07:14:17 PM »

Sandra your cat is very cute.  What is her/his name?

Panni you have such interesting stories.

Jennifer you are so sweet.  

I still believe the boos are only mistakes.  Not that I have done it, but if I were to accidentally boo someone, can I then give them a karma to replace the boo?  

td

• td
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2004, 07:16:33 PM »

Oh yes.

Not for me, but for my pal TD

Angel Season Three Street date 2/10/04

You'd better believe it!
I've had to space out my ANGEL watching due to some of the crossover episodes with BUFFY!
ANGEL's 2nd Season (which I did NOT review for SCARLET STREET) ends at the same time as BUFFY SEASON FIVE, if I'm doing my math correctly.
I already have mediocre quality VCDs of ANGEL's 3rd season; it will be nice to be able to watch the anamorphically encoded dvd boxed set. . . 'tis the season wherein Angel becomes.  . . well, I'm not going to give THAT SECRET away!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2004, 07:23:45 PM »

Dear DR Der Brucer:

[size=10]YOUR[/size] doggies have been eating my pancakes!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2004, 07:32:43 PM »

DR Jane, his name is Joshie. He likes to sit on my mom.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2004, 07:35:56 PM »

Who doesn't like to sit on your mom?  She's comfy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2004, 07:36:37 PM »

Sandra, looking at that photo of you I have to ask: Have you become an African-American?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2004, 07:39:16 PM »

You see, even I am susceptible to karma being removed.  It was 58 but hours ago (I suspect my little post about karma got me karmalized to the negative).  But, to the person who removed it (do you really suppose I don't know who you are?), I care not, and, in fact, I laugh and laugh.  Remove all the karma you like from all the people who disagree - it's really sort of pointless but, you know, whatever floats your boat as certain types are wont to say.

Panni

« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2004, 07:40:07 PM »

bk - according to the TV Guide, CYI is on at 9:30 here. Maybe you were picking up an East Coast feed on your state-of-the-art Atilla system. I don't know how dishes work, except to eat on. I'm assuming you also get the regular West Coast feed, but maybe not. It's all a mystery.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2004, 07:40:38 PM »

BK, my mom wants to know what you mean by "comfy." And I have to wear that black mask thing so I don't get stabbed in the eyeball.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2004, 07:43:37 PM »

Oh, that's a MASK.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2004, 07:44:27 PM »

I have 3 things to say:

1. A HUMONGOUS Welcome Back to WFO! We missed you!

2. I am ashamed of my beloved Sooners, and the way they are playing right now. I can't even look at the TV without seething with anger.

3. KARMA IS MERELY A NUMBER ON A COMPUTER! If it UPSETS, HURTS, or DAMAGES you in any way, I think you are in dire need of psychological help. If you cannot tell the difference between technology and reality, that is a PROBLEM. On your death bed, will you worry about how many people like you, or what you think/say? I sincerely doubt it. This is similar.

And I think it's cheating when you comment on how low your karma level is. I also think it's a stupid way to say rude things to someone without naming them.

Off to sleep. Sorry I haven't been here in the past 2 days, but I'm becoming BUSY again, like Panni.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2004, 07:47:34 PM »

She still wants to know what you mean by "comfy."

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up