Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SATURDAY REPORT  (Read 16108 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE SATURDAY REPORT
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2004, 05:37:06 PM »

Page Four Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Mashed Potato![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2004, 05:37:42 PM »

Time to get dinner started.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2004, 05:37:45 PM »

And one for Mahler.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2004, 05:51:28 PM »

I’m going to insist Keith read all of your e-bay post.  I certainly don’t want him getting addicted.  There will never be any danger of that happening to me, just as I never ever could become addicted to an on-line site.  ;D

Panni

« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2004, 06:49:22 PM »

No posts for an hour. Skammen.
I just heard George Bush say on Larry King that the definition of marriage is a union between a man OR A woman. Does this mean he's actually on our side?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2004, 06:53:18 PM »

What did LK say about that? ;D

Panni

« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2004, 07:11:11 PM »

What did LK say about that? ;D

Nothing. I think most journalists know that W can't speak English.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2004, 07:20:32 PM »

Ebay really was a life saver to me when I was trying to find a laserdisc machine to replace mine which was dying. Found one immediately, lost the first one I bid on but won the second, and have been enjoying it ever since. The other is back to working fine for the present, so I now have two working laserdisc machines, a great relief when one has many movies on laser that it doesn't look like will EVER make it to DVD.

But I can't say I'm an Ebay addict. I have bid on a few things there and won some, but I only go there is I'm looking for something very specific and all other shopping channels are dead ends.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2004, 07:24:04 PM »

Back from my evening outing and will have more to say about it on Tuesday (yes, I know tomorrow is Monday).

Recording SIX FEET UNDER tonight, so I won't see it until Monday. I much prefer to see it live in high definition, but tonight couldn't be helped.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2004, 07:26:17 PM »

I've been reading ANGELS & DEMONS for the last few days. Enjoying it, but I'm taking my time with it. unlike friends who have read it and couldn't stop until they had read the whole thing in a couple of big, long all-night sessions, I like to read more slowly and savor the author's word pictures.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2004, 07:33:39 PM »

I'm back from a very frustrating show.  The show itself was wonderful - a half-house but appreciative audience.  But when I walked in I was told the stage right speaker was out.  Now, I've been complaining about the sound for a week.  Everyone has been telling me it's this and it's that and I kept saying how can the level be right for one number and non-existent on the same person for their next number.  I kept positing that it had to be the speakers going out intermittently and everyone kept saying no.  Well, they were wrong and I was right.  I was disturbed, but we did a check and it sounded okay with just the stage left speaker - we checked our prerecorded CD and did a mic check on two actors.  The show began and I heard nothing coming from the mics.  I walked over to the booth and signalled our sound fellow to raise the level - I saw him do this but nothing happened.  At intermission I told him the sound was not happening, and he checked all the plugs and rebooted the system.  We got to the funniest moment in the show, the faux movie trailer, he pushed "play" on the CD player and nothing happened.  Why?  Because somehow in the time we heard the stage left speaker prior to the show and the show's beginning, the stage left speaker also gave up the ghost.  I had to announce to the audience we were having a sound problem and we went ahead to the next number.  It was all handled very smoothly.  After the show, I informed the house manager that the only acceptable postion was that there would be completely new speakers in the theater by Tuesday - so that I would have time to okay them, test them, and make sure our levels still work.  I said I would begin cancelling shows if they merely put bandaids on their current speakers, which are ancient.   We're paying a LOT of money for the three-show weekend we're doing, and I'm not paying for a theater with crappy out-dated un-checked equipment.  Tammy will insist that we not pay for the matinee performance, and since I've been complaining about this for a week (they finally took me seriously after opening night and began doing checks on the speakers) and they totally mucked up one of our shows, and also the fact that we had continual problems on our opening night (not that noticible to the audience but definitely there) and also the Friday and Saturday performances, that she is due a substantial refund on our first week.  Hopefully they will do the right thing.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2004, 07:38:20 PM »

Surprise!  I am here again.

Free-for-all- Sunday......... let me see.

When I heard that Fay Wray had died, it started me thinking (well, I can't use the computer at work, so I have to do something!).  Despite a very long and interesting career, it is quite obvious that Miss Wray will be forever linked to KING KONG.  There is nothing really wrong with that, but it started me thinking of what other actors will be forever linked to one film for all eternity.  I am not asking for people to name their favorite film role for a particular actor, but rather that one film that (good or bad) will forever define their career.  **Let's face it, if President Reagan had not chosen a second career in politics, how many obits would have been headlined 'BEDTIME FOR BONZO' STAR PASSES?

Now this little exercise in "brainstorming" will require several of our more advanced film buffs, to put aside their uncanny grasp of film trivia, and to look at this topic as Mr. and Mrs. Film-goer see things.

The first couple I came up with were:

Fay Wray -- KING KONG
Keir Dullea -- 2001, A SPACE ODYSSEY
Al Jolson -- THE JAZZ SINGER (Okay, without cheating name another Jolson film and JOLSON SINGS AGAIN does not count.)
Jennifer O'Neill -- SUMMER OF 42

Anybody else have some others???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 07:46:46 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2004, 07:55:47 PM »

what other actors will be forever linked to one film for all eternity.  I am not asking for people to name their favorite film role for a particular actor, but rather that one film that (good or bad) will forever define their career.  **Let's face it, if President Reagan had not chosen a second career in politics, how many obits would have been headlined 'BEDTIME FOR BONZO' STAR PASSES?

That was the headline in the paper I read, but I only peruse those liberal rags, don't you know.   ;)

Bo Derek - 10
Tatum O'Neill - Paper Moon
Carrie Snodgrasss - Diary of a Mad Housewife
Nick Apollo Forte - Broadway Danny Rose
Dr. Haing S. Ngor - The Killing Fields

Upon hearing of the death of chef Julia Child, I had the rather perverse thought, "The death of a Child is always a tragedy."
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2004, 08:01:15 PM »

Bo Derek - 10
Tatum O'Neill - Paper Moon
Carrie Snodgrasss - Diary of a Mad Housewife
Nick Apollo Forte - Broadway Danny Rose
Dr. Haing S. Ngor - The Killing Fields

Nice work, Sir Noel!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2004, 08:06:48 PM »

I always associate Mr Dullea with "David & Lisa"

On the other hand John Kerr is South Pacific - well he is for me!

Good to see you TCB.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2004, 08:09:42 PM »

Anything to stave off an all-time low
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2004, 08:11:28 PM »

I've just discovered a new fruit! (No cheap jokes, please - or expensive ones for that matter). I was just at the market and saw a basket of cactus pears. The looked interesting - like cacti, hence the nam - duh! - and were 3 for 99 cents, so I bought one.
Just tasted it. It has a lovely subtle flavor. Red inside, does not really have the consistency of a pear. I shall buy more.

Panni

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2004, 08:21:15 PM »

As for TCB's interesting question:
Patty Duke - THE MIRACLE WORKER
Diane Keaton - ANNIE HALL
Jane Russell - THE OUTLAW
Robert Preston -THE MUSIC MAN
Bela Lugosi- DRACULA
Boris Karloff - FRANKENSTEIN
Liza Minnelli - CABARET
Janet Leigh - PSYCHO

This is fun, but I have things to do. Maybe more later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2004, 08:47:25 PM »

Maybe more later, says she.  And that is why we will achieve a new all-time low unless there is a sudden surge of postings, a veritable frenzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2004, 08:48:17 PM »

Not to mention that there will be bitch-slapping galore for those lazy loafers and lazy hightops and lazy brogues who couldn't be bothered to even show up today.  Skammen, say I, and skammen say I again.

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2004, 08:51:13 PM »

Ten posts for each of the next three hours - not a big ask. I have faith. I'll check on the whereabouts of Hope and Charity. They may be watching the Olympics.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2004, 08:52:52 PM »

Just opened up my Volume 2 of Abbott and Costello films and watched HIT THE ICE which features the lovely and talented Ginny Simms...what a beautiful voice! Also in the cast was Mark Harmon's mom Elyse Knox.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2004, 08:54:50 PM »

I'm zonked - don't know why as I got plenty of sleep last night.  But I shall post until the cows come home anyway.  Wait a minute.

There was a knock at the door and I thought it might be the cows, but noooo, it was just a squirrel tap-tap-tapping on the roof near the door.

Panni

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2004, 08:54:53 PM »

Maybe more later, says she.  And that is why we will achieve a new all-time low unless there is a sudden surge of postings, a veritable frenzy.
Hey! Don't blame it on me! I was the one who was rallying the troops all day. -- When we had fewer than 60 posts mid-afternoon, who was there to say "Go, Gang Go!"...? Panni! That's who! I should get a medal, not blame. So there. :-*
(The above is an illustration of what I should get. Kisses on each cheek while the medal is hung around my neck.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2004, 08:56:26 PM »

Also, Tammy and I had a GREAT dinner tonight - such a nice change from all them sandwiches of late.  We ate at a wonderful place I've been going to for years - Genghis Cohen.  One of the best Chinese restaurants in all of LA.  We had Moo-Shu Pork, we had yummilicious orange chicken and we had shrimp in lobster sauce.  Best meal I've had in ages.

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2004, 09:02:33 PM »

Canada and Australia have both been represented here today.  No France until next Thursday. It is the USA that needs to post post post.  It is very nearly West Coast posting time.
Rally round the flag boys. A Mr & Mrs Newman reference.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2004, 09:05:59 PM »

Now, I must take a shower (not having one since yesteray morning) and go to my sister's house.  My mom is visiting and I don't want to feel too icky.  Later!
You are planning on re-dressing yourself between step A and step B, I trust?

;)

I'm back home now.  Actually, I took a shower before I left but then I had to mow my sister's lawn :P (both my sister and niece have allergies and my niece has a hearing problem where even not-so-loud noises are painful to her), so I have now had my second shower of the day and am wearing my third (clean) outfit of the day.  And now I have a lot of laundry to do.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2004, 09:09:13 PM »

Ebay really was a life saver to me when I was trying to find a laserdisc machine to replace mine which was dying. Found one immediately, lost the first one I bid on but won the second, and have been enjoying it ever since. The other is back to working fine for the present, so I now have two working laserdisc machines, a great relief when one has many movies on laser that it doesn't look like will EVER make it to DVD.

I got my laserdisc player free from a video store that was selling off all it's laserdiscs.  I asked if they were going to sell it and they said that I could have it for free!  It works perfectly except that when you open the drawer to put in the disc, it closes (whether you want it to or not) after about three seconds.  When switching sides, I have to open the drawer, take out the disc and let the drawer close.  THEN I have to re-open the drawer, carefully put in the disc...making sure that it's seated properly...and then let it close again.  Once you get used to it, it's not a problem.  AND it plays quite well. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2004, 09:13:43 PM »

I've been reading ANGELS & DEMONS for the last few days. Enjoying it, but I'm taking my time with it. unlike friends who have read it and couldn't stop until they had read the whole thing in a couple of big, long all-night sessions, I like to read more slowly and savor the author's word pictures.

It took me only three sittings to read that!  I honestly could not put it down, since the author ends each chapter with a cliff-hanger of a sentence or situation.
I enjoyed it tremendously, then waited a few weeks to read THE DA VINCI CODE which, while not really a letdown, contained so much information that I had already know from other Grail writings; so I was left only with the whodunnit.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2004, 09:15:18 PM »

I've just discovered a new fruit! (No cheap jokes, please - or expensive ones for that matter). I was just at the market and saw a basket of cactus pears. The looked interesting - like cacti, hence the nam - duh! - and were 3 for 99 cents, so I bought one.
Just tasted it. It has a lovely subtle flavor. Red inside, does not really have the consistency of a pear. I shall buy more.

If it doesn't have the consistency of a pear, what does it have a consistency of? ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up