Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: OPEN ARMS AND CLOSED FEET  (Read 24331 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:OPEN ARMS AND CLOSED FEET
« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2004, 08:13:47 PM »

You are very welcome, Dear Reader Jason.

I fell asleep about four hours ago and I just woke up.

You don't want to get me started on politics.

I think spiders are cute but my mom would never let me have one for a pet.

I am eating pudding.

The end.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2004, 08:32:18 PM »

I wish I had something positive to report about the TARZAN movies, but the fact is I didn't get to them tonight.

Whatever I ate at lunch that didn't agree with me has kept me pretty busy all day long. I did re-watch the TOnys as reported earlier, but really haven't been able to focus on much of anything since early evening. A good night's sleep is definitely the order of the day.

So, a fat lot of good it did me to get those movies early. I did so want to see one today. Ah well, tomorrow I plan to stay inside all day and recuperate.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2004, 08:39:30 PM »

Good Evening!

I've been in zombie-land for the for the past few hours... Still haven't slept today - again - but I'm very tired right now, so that's good.  I hope to be in bed soon...

Topic of the day: J.D. Salinger, "Catcher in the Rye", and Alan Paton, "Too Late the Phalarope" (I remember reading this book in high school)... oh, and C.S. Lewis, any of the Narnia Books, but also "Mere Christianity", and a copy of "The Wasteland" with annotations.

So...

Sorry I missed chat - if it happened...

As for whether or not the AVENUE Q campaigning really made that much of a difference.... Heck, all shows campaign in one form or another...  There were a few WICKED parties being held in the past couple of weeks.

As for E-bay - I've only bought one thing off of E-bay, and it was a positive experience.  However, I'm thinking of selling a bunch of stuff I currently have (some CDs (mainly OOP classical ones), some collectible teddy bears, etc.) So... Should I?

OK - I'm starting to shut down... and my laptop is starting to act up again... *I'm really hoping my body clock gets back to some sense of normalcy soon, tonight.  Two all-nighters in three days is not a good thing.

Oh..

DR SWW - I do like those brownie recipes with chile powder in them.  And there are those recipes for chocolate cake that contain vinegar, mayonnaise, etc.  And those very Southern Coca-Cola cakes are a true indulgence - and cavity-inducer!

Goodnight.

Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2004, 08:47:22 PM »

I have made chocolate cake with Cherry Coke and it is very good.

I have bought a LOT of stuff on eBay. Only recently have I had a problem. I won something from this foodus and then he didn't answer my emails for ten days.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #214 on: June 07, 2004, 08:49:45 PM »

Several weeks ago, VARIETY did a special edition on WICKED. (This was before awards season began in NYC.) I've wondered today if possibly there wasn't some backlash against the show because of that show being chosen for a special edition, almost like annointing it as the season's best before being awarded any prizes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: June 07, 2004, 09:00:59 PM »

Just received this e-mail - is this true?  If so, another reason to abhor this administration.

I received a copy of this email today and am passing it along for your
perusal.  Copies of the bills, HR 163 and S 89, may be viewed at
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c108:1:./temp/~c1088XX89i

Twin bills HR 163 and S 89 "Universal National Service Act of 2003" -
the administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now while
the public's attention is on the election.  Right now they are in
committee.   However a friend of mine told me that people in NYC were
already being asked to work on the draft boards.  In fact, there is a
quiet campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070
appeals board slots nationwide.
       $28 million has been added to the 2004 selective service system
budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June
15, 2005.
       This act would "provide for the common defense by REQUIRING THAT
ALL YOUNG PERSONS 18-26 IN THE U.S.. INCLUDING WOMEN PERFORM A PERIOD OF
MILITARY SERVICE".  This includes women.
       Dodging the draft will be more difficult.  College and Canada
will not be options.  In Dec. 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a 'smart
border declaration, which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers
in.  Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and
U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a
30 point plan which implements, among other things, a 'pre-clearance
agreement' of people entering and departing each country.  HIGHER
EDUCATION IS ELIMINATED AS A SHELTER.  Underclassmen would only be able
to postpone service until the end of their current semester.   Seniors
would have until the end of the academic year.
       WRITE YOUR SENATORS AND CONGRESSPERSON THAT YOU OPPOSE THESE
BILLS.
       SEND THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS ESPECIALLY THOSE IN OTHER
STATES.
      E-MAIL YOUR NEWSPAPERS.
       The bill is 12 pages long.

DON'T WAIT.   We don't want this bill passed in the middle of the
night like they did the prescription drug bill.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:01:41 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: June 07, 2004, 09:02:21 PM »

Well, the link doesn't work, so maybe it's a hoax.  Anyone?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2004, 09:08:46 PM »

I got the same email from a reliable source last week. It's been going around for some time. I have lots of correspondence about it.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #218 on: June 07, 2004, 09:11:42 PM »

Well, the link doesn't work, so maybe it's a hoax.  Anyone?

Snopes.com doesn't come right out and say that this is a hoax but they generally blow it off.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:20:23 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #219 on: June 07, 2004, 09:13:57 PM »

Well, Snopes.com will only say "Probably Not" to the story, which is not as definitive as they usually are on these things.

Oh well, the link is below, but Dan beat me to the punch!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:20:39 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2004, 09:41:40 PM »

I left work at about 4:15 with an upset tummy, a head ache and my eyes hurt from my contact lenses.  I know not why.  Anyway, I came home after eating, since I hadn't had much of anything to eat all day (which is probably why I had the upset tummy) and went to sleep.  I didn't get up until about 8:00 tonight.  I didn't even think about chat.  I hope it went well.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:42:01 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #222 on: June 07, 2004, 09:46:08 PM »

Feel better vibes, George!

George

« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2004, 09:55:11 PM »

Feel better vibes, George!

Thanks, Panni!  Actually, the food and the nap have helped.  I am feeling much better.

Which reminds me of another Dorothy to inivite - Parker. The conversation would be sparkling!

That's who I'd like to visit in the past...the real "Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle!"  I, of course, would only be able to sit and listen.  There's no way that I could keep up with that bunch. ::)

As for first editions, I already have the Kritzer trilogy, so that's not necessary.  But when I was in high school, I loved the science fiction and short stories (actually, I still do, but I haven't read any in quite a while) of Fredric [sic] Brown.  A couple of his stories were the basis of Star Trek episodes (the original series).  Anyway, when I was in college (in 1988) and studying to be a high school choir teacher (which I didn't actually become), I had an assignment in one of my music classes to read beautifully out loud in the class, a song lyric or poem.  I wanted to read "Imagine," which was in "The Best of Fredric Brown," but I lost the book!  I couldn't find another copy until about four years ago.  It was one of the first things that I bought on eBay.  Anyway, "Imagine" was written in 1955, years before John Lennon's song of the same title.  

So, along with Mrs Parker and the gang, I would to meet Fredric Brown and I would want some of his first editions...nothing specific, though.  He wrote a lot of pulp fiction in the 40s and 50s.  I really enjoyed what I read of his, especially his science fiction and his short stories and his science fiction short stories.  And if anyone's interested, here's "Imagine" by Fredric Brown:

IMAGINE

Imagine ghosts, gods and devils.
Imagine hells and heavens, cities floating in the sky and cities sunken in the sea

Unicorns and centaurs. Witches, warlocks, jinns and banshees.
Angels and harpies. Charms and incantations. Elementals, familiars, demons.

Easy to imagine all of those things: mankind has been imagining them for thousands of years.

Imagine spaceships and the future.
Easy to imagine; the future is really coming and there'll be spaceships in it.

Is there then anything that's really hard to imagine?
Of course there is.

Imagine a piece of matter and yourself inside it, yourself, aware, thinking and therefore knowing you exist, able to move that piece of matter that you're in," to make it sleep or wake, make love or walk uphill.

Imagine a universe-infinite or not, as you wish to picture it- with a billion, billion, billion suns in it.

Imagine a blob of mud whirling madly around one of those suns.

Imagine yourself standing on that blob of mud, whirling with it, whirling through time and space to an unknown destination.

Imagine!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2004, 09:59:18 PM »

In other words - crap.  If the bills have been languishing without support, why are people so gullible to get these e-mails and then send them out AGAIN in bulk.  All you have to do is read from the link posted here, which is why I posted the e-mail in the first place.  I knew it could be debunked as a hoax (or urban legend), and thanks to those who were quick to respond with the truth.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2004, 10:31:50 PM »

Let's see: I posted the above at nine fifty-nine.  I then wrote tomorrow's notes.  And in that time there has not been one single post?  Oh, people, I am disappointed.  I didn't think we had that many WUSSBURGERS.  I mean, I see people looking at the board, just sitting there like so much fish.  Skammen.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2004, 10:50:26 PM »

I did not mean to be a wussburger.  I was trying to catch up on some of the DVDs der B and I have added to our collection over the last few days.  (I will say more on Friday, rest assured.)

Now, however, I fully intend to wussburger.  I am tired, and need to catch up on my average-countenance sleep.  (I did get another chapter of Kritzer Time read today.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2004, 10:57:13 PM »

Here is an e-mail I got from a very politically knowledgeable friend when I asked him last week about the Draft rumor:

"I'm really not sure what to make of this.  Charlie Rangell (Dem. NY, Harlem) is one of my favorite Congressmen of all time, and I've heard him pull for this for some months now.  His point is that if rich kids are subject to being sent off to war, there'd be less of it.  I can't see Bush getting behind it; I mean, these are his friends' kids!  I've been hearing that it has no chance of flying for that reason, but that Charlie is pushing it to make the point of just who these valiant kids are who fight our optional wars.  So the alarm, which sounds like it's fear of a secret Bush coup, may be mistaking the thrust of this. "

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2004, 11:07:08 PM »

S. Woody: Now THAT (KT) is good news indeed - best I've had this whole miserable day.

Panni

« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2004, 11:42:54 PM »

Hate to wuss out on the wild goings on here - but I'm going to turn off the old computer and read.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #230 on: June 07, 2004, 11:46:49 PM »

George, I love and collect Fredric Brown.  I have a great deal of his sf/fantasy, but really love his mysteries the most.

I was really hoping someone would answer my question earlier about the necessity of the theatrical conceit of the puppets in Avenue Q.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: June 07, 2004, 11:52:44 PM »

I, too, adore Fredric Brown - have read almost all the mysteries at one time or another.  Especially fond of Screaming Mimi.

George

« Reply #232 on: June 07, 2004, 11:56:10 PM »

I was really hoping someone would answer my question earlier about the necessity of the theatrical conceit of the puppets in Avenue Q.

I didn't question this conceit, just as I didn't question the casting of a man as Edna in the stage version of Hairspray just because Divine played the role in the move.

But then, I haven't actually seen the show, so I can't really say.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 11:57:44 PM by George »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #233 on: June 07, 2004, 11:58:57 PM »

Screaming Mimi is great.  My fav:  THE FAR CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up