Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID EVENING  (Read 17137 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE SPLENDIDLY SPLENDID EVENING
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2004, 09:17:06 AM »

I love Japanese food in all its varieties:  sushi, sashimi, tempura, teriyaki, yakitori, etc., etc.  One very memorable meal I recall was a Japanese bento-style breakfast I had when I was in Japan (Fukuoka) on business many years ago.  The only Japanese food I cannot tolerate is giant clam.  It's just too challenging for me.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2004, 09:28:20 AM »

There's little Chinese food at which I turn up my nose.  My favorite dish is Peking Duck.  My favorite Chinese dining experience is dim sum at a Hong Kong-style seafood palace, of which we have quite a number in the Los Angeles area.

Jay

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2004, 09:29:18 AM »

Dear BK:  Where was the post-performance party held last night?

Jay

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2004, 09:29:38 AM »

I am my own posting frenzy.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2004, 09:42:51 AM »

I, too, love all types of Japanese food, while Chinese is about my least favorite cuisine.

The experience related earlier about getting to know the sushi chef is an essential part of the experience.  You should get to know him and he you.  Then, ask him what's good today or what he'd think you'd like.  Freshness is essential to good sushi and sashimi.  If you haven't watched the knife go through the fish, you haven't had good sushi.

Sorry about the bad Japanese food experience.  I mentioned I'd recently had a good Indian meal in the Dena of Pas, not sure of the name, but it seemed to be on a hidden street behind Lake.  I've no idea how close to the Playhouse.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2004, 09:50:20 AM »

I love japanese food - and especially sushi of all kinds!

There's a place on Greene Ave. in Westmount - i.e. the chi-chi area of anglo supremacy - where they have absolutely amazing sushi... and their prices are relative good given the product and the area in which they are located.  They make an appetizer called a sushi pizza which is kind of like a layered open-faced sushi roll that's cut into wedges:

layer of seaweed
layer of rice
layer of tuna, spicy salmon and green onion
layer of japanese mayonnaise
layer of tempura flakes

Oh I would die happily if my last meal were made up entirely of sushi pizzas... :P
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2004, 09:50:59 AM »

okay... I lied about ALL kinds of sushi - I don't like sea urchin...

vomity-blech
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2004, 09:53:10 AM »

The partay was held a few blocks away at something called McCormack's and something-or-other.

Jay

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2004, 10:01:08 AM »

McCormick & Schmick's.  A nice seafood restaurant.  Part of a chain.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2004, 10:06:16 AM »

General Taos chicken.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......  

What a lovely evening it sounds like was had by all.  To hear all those lovely songs - to hear Lesley Anne Warren (Cordy Biddle HERSELF!) and Susan (Kim McAfee) Watson - oh my!  Well I can understand the awkwardness of meeting Mr Lee - but how you feel is how you feel.  I feel the same way about a lot of shows.  110 IN THE SHADE is one of those shows you see or remember or imagine in a certain way, and it's hard to watch it done any other way....I am like that with COMPANY, too.

BUT....

Well...the news is out...I start my new job on July 27th.  More details later.  AND I have just been cast in the leading role in THE NERD.  Yes, HHW'ers you heard it hear....I will be playing Rick Steadman.  I wanted to play Axel, the upstairs neighbor....but here I am.  The director had me read for it, but I didn't think it was a possibility.  I don't know what to say except....what a LOT of lines!

ANYWAY....here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week:  From THE ZOMBIES OF MORA TAU...Allison has just been zombified:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 10:06:39 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2004, 10:12:35 AM »

BK - One of the singers in "The Show Goes On" was a last minute replacement for Dee Hoty.  I agree that J&S were better than the singers they used.

For those of you who were less than thrilled with the Warner Home Video release of the MGM Marx Bros. films, Universal has announced that the 5 Paramount Marx Bros. films will be released on DVD 11/9.  On the same date they will be releasing a box of 5 W. C. Fields films.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:23 AM »

Wow double congrats Dr JRand!

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2004, 10:15:08 AM »

For those of you who were less than thrilled with the Warner Home Video release of the MGM Marx Bros. films, Universal has announced that the 5 Paramount Marx Bros. films will be released on DVD 11/9.  On the same date they will be releasing a box of 5 W. C. Fields films.

Wow, what fantastic news!!! Did you happen to find out the W.C Fields titles?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2004, 10:27:35 AM »

Good Morning!

-Of course, if I was posting from home right now, it would already be Good Afternoon!  But since I'm not at home in Richmond, and I'm here in Los Angeles, CA...  And there's a three hour time difference between here and Richmond... Richmond being in the Eastern Time Zone, and LA being in the Pacific Time Zone...  -Well, I guess I didn't really need to explain that, but...

Once again, a very public "Thank You" to DR Jay for his kindness and generosity last night.  Besides the wonderful dinner and sparkling conversation, he also started filling my head (in a good way) with a whole bunch of other ideas and possibilities for day trips, overnight trips, two-three day trips to other places in and around LA - and California.  -I've never been to San Francisco, so...  We shall see.

And after going through some other e-mails and stuff last night, I realized just how many friends and other people I know happen to be out here in LA right now.  It's very "cool" for lack of a better word.  Thanks again, BK, for the phone call!

-I was also a bit more tired last night than I realized... I meant to post again before the new notes went up, but after finding myself zonked out on the couch while half-watching Letterman, I just walked into the bedroom, plopped into bed... next thing I knew it was this morning.  *But I did catch the Top Ten last night with Ken Jennings from "Jeopardy!"  Very funny.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2004, 10:27:54 AM »

Congratulations, Jrand!

Japanese food - One of my faves.
Sushi & Sashimi (FRESH!) of all kinds. Eel - yummy. Salmon and chicken Teriyaki. Unlike bk, I like Miso Soup (when it's good - sometimes it tastes like dishwater). I don't like rolls with mayo or cream cheese. Mayo and cream cheese do not say "Japan" to me.

I also like Chinese food - although I prefer Japanese. But there are not too many really good Chinese restaurants around. Recently discovered one in the hood just north of here which is very good and reasonable. I like Chinese chicken dishes the best, I think. Lemon chicken, that kind of thing. Right now, however, thinking about Chinese food makes me feel slightly ill. So I shall stop.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2004, 10:34:19 AM »

Wow JRand53, double happiness to you for the good news!

A new job!

And a new role!        

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2004, 10:38:14 AM »

As for Chinese - There's not much Chinese I don't like.  I've started "investigating" some of the more traditional/family type dishes.  Good stuff!  Especially some of the more interesting noodle preparations.

As for Japanese - Most sushi I like.  But grilled items tend to be my favorites, especially negimaki - the thinly sliced beef, rolled up with scallions, then grilled.  Yummy!  And there's nothing quite better than working your way through a steaming bowl of edamame sprinkled lightly with sea salt.

OK - I have a date with a copier down the street...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2004, 10:39:19 AM »

DR Em, the Sea Urchin is one of my favorite Sushi! I also like the Roe and the salmon. There is one that I don't like but have never been able to identify it. It is very white...maybe a giant clam. Not sure. All other sushi and sashimi I have loved.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2004, 10:41:52 AM »

Congrats to Jrand.  Trying to organize things for tonight's rehearsal and must go out and xerox some stuff.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2004, 10:45:46 AM »

DRJRand, kudos on your new responsibilities!  Isn't THE NERD the play with that great monologue about the airplane?  Maybe it's in the other Larry Shue play, whose name I cannot recall.

My memory of THE SHOW GOES ON was that Tom and Harvey wanted Ron Raines, but GUIDING LIGHT had him under contract.  My only other gossip is to let you know that Emily Loesser, daughter of Frank, and husband Don Stephenson just had their second child last Thursday.  I believe her name is Fiona.  

This is Rona Barrett signing off.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2004, 10:57:28 AM »

Congratulations and congratulations to Dear Reader JRand.

And belated good vibes (not too belated to be of help, I hope) to Dear Reader TD and all those near to him.

[size=12][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move][/size]

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2004, 11:11:26 AM »

Maybe it's in the other Larry Shue play, whose name I cannot recall.

I believe that it is WENCESLAS SQUARE.

And congrats to DRJRand.

On the TOD:

I LOVE Chinese food.  (Of course, in China, it's just ... food.)  Favorite dishes include Sesame Chicken (I have never found a restaurant that did it as well as one in Park Slope in Brooklyn, when I used to live there.)  I also like peking duck and moo shu chicken.  Lamb with scallions is another fave.  There are some nights where all I desire is some Robert Egg Foo Young.  Other nights when only Chow Fun will do.  Pinenut Chicken.....the list is endless.....  And, as I mentioned in one of the recent discussions about favorite breakfasts, cold Chinese food is even better than cold pizza for breakfast, IMHO (in my humble opinion, in internet lingo).

I also like much Japanese food, including sushi and sashimi.  Like DR Elan, I find the kashruth hard to get around at a sushi bar, at times, but I manage.  Like DR PAnni, I also can't quite wrap myself around sushi/sashimi/rolls that include cream cheese.  Tempura gets a big thumbs up, as does teryaki.  I don't care for japanese soups, though I am not a big fan of soup in general.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2004, 11:30:58 AM »

Well DrELMORE - Willem the OTHER lead in the play has a monolog about what happens on an airplane when I jump up and say "Urinate! Urinate or your kidneys will explode!"  Pretty funny.  Mostly I am there to make his life miserable, but it turns out to be all in a good cause.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2004, 11:31:06 AM »

I concur with Mr. Kimmel.  The evening and the wonderful music was so swellegant that any negatives would be quibbles.  I also concur that Lesley Anne Warren was gorgeous, sang Sweetriver beautifully and shared swell memories.  Susan Watson was also looking quite lovely and also sang beautifully... a couple of lovely songs I was not familiar with.  Orson Bean recited the opening of "The Fantasticks...I suspect as a last minute substitute for Elliott Gould.  And John Raitt got up, seeming a bit frail (but then I suspect he's in his eighties) to introduce Tom and Harvey with some amusing stories about his near casting misses in  I DO, I DO and 110.  I must say the stories were subtlely unkind to Robert Horton.  You got the idea Horton was not much wanted.

Funniest line of the night.  Tom Jones:  "David Merrick was deaf in one ear and mean in both ears."

Jones also shared reminisces that  Inga Swenson, unable to attend, had passed along.  

My favourite:  She apparently refuse to use a body mike and got into a big fight with David Merrick about it, but stood up to him, saying:  "Mr. Merrick, if they can't hear me, fire me!  But I want to control my performance!"  

Isn't that a great quote?  And a great lesson for all modern performers these days.  It should have made the heavily miked performers last night blush with shame.

I'm not one for Japanese food ordinarily, but I just found the perfect choice last night.  Pork cutlets on a bed of rice, slathered in a curry sauce...curry gravy would be more apt.  Yum!

The only other restaurant choice was a Mexican up the street...which The Lovely Wife nixed as too heavy for such hot weather.  As it turned out, ours was the restaurant of choice for the theatre crowd.  Even Mr. Jones and Mr. Schmidt ate their pre-show meal there a few tables away.  Theatre Historian Miles Kreuger, an acquaintance of both BK's and mine, came in with a group.  We were explaining to Tammy Minoff that Miles WAS the Institute of The American Musical and that his house was filled with theatre memorabilia, albums and recordings and programs..."He's probably got an original program from The Black Crook," I said jokingly, mentioning the show that is more or less considered the first American Musical from the 1800's...and I thought well, Hell, he's right there..."Hey, Miles, do you have a program from The Black Crook?"  "From opening night, " he shot back.  "I can get you a xerox, if you want."  Miles is interviewed in BROADWAY -- THE GOLDEN YEARS.

As I was sitting directly behind and above Mr. Kimmel and Tammy (They were in the stalls, we in the front row of the dress circle above...I could have spit on his head), I can attest that he indeed was the first one up for the two standing ovations Mr. Schmidt and Mr. Jones got...although the Lovely Wife was a half second behind him.  I...old geezer that I am...can't move quite that fast.

Japanese/Chinese...dishes with either beef or chicken, rice and some sort of savory sauce...sweet and sour, orange-flavoured, lemon...are usually my choices.  Pork-fried is always a good adjective for me in dealing with Asian food.

I found the laments about Union practices a bit amusing and a bit naive when I came home last night.  Feeling sorry for all the tourist trade jobs affected and how unfair to the deprived audiences and all that...

Well, gee, folks, that's the point of a work stoppage: To create an untenable finanicial situation that puts pressure on the fatcats to negotiate fairly.  It wouldn't do any good for them to strike the touring shows, if more and more of them are already non-union. Where's the finanicial burden for the owners in that?  Get them where they hurt...the most and the fastest.  That's the strategy.  Never used lightly, usually as a last resort.  But without the real threat of a work stoppage,  a union would have very little clout in getting big business to deal fairly.

The simple fact is that anyone who wants to consistently play in the Big Time in the Business of Show is going to have to be a member of at least one or more artistic unions or guilds.

BK, thanks for getting Julieanne's program signed.  Would we had known it was so easy to crash the party, we would have.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2004, 11:31:21 AM »

Thanks everyone for the congrats & vibes.  I appreciate it!

Panni

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2004, 11:32:55 AM »

Even though my evil doggie is staring at me like some canine Siren from his perch on the bed, I'm being a good girl and am writing away. No skammen cap for me.

Panni

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2004, 11:48:42 AM »

I just looked up TIGER CRUISE, the movie I worked on for the Disney Channel. It's interesting that they're so afraid of "traumatizing" young viewers by anything having to do with 9/11 that they have notes from a psychologist on how to watch the movie IF you choose to let your kids watch it.
http://psc.disney.go.com/disneychannel/originalmovies/tigercruise/parentsguide.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 02:14:31 PM by Panni »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2004, 11:59:09 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2004, 12:04:20 PM »

Oh, I'm so bored of these people who "watch" the children for us.  So traumatized - feh.  I really can't stand aspects of the world I live in.

Jay

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2004, 12:19:15 PM »

...they have notes from a pyschologist on how to watch the movie IF you choose to let your kids watch it.

That is, after the little tykes are done playing Grand Theft Auto:  Vice City.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up