Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STATE OF FLUX  (Read 16294 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE STATE OF FLUX
« on: August 24, 2004, 11:59:41 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been flummoxed by the notes, you've been fluxed by the notes and now it is time to post until the fluxed and flummoxed cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 11:59:49 PM by bk »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE STATE OF FLUX
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 12:03:28 AM »

I don't really know what to say about flux.

It's bad...most of the time.

There's the acid re-flux...I know that hurts.

And I think flux is some sort of material you use in soldering.

And there's the problem with indecisiveness that makes people flux-uate from one side to the other.

There is the in-flux of things.

And then there's that rather crude, time-worn expression "flux a duck" (I mean, honestly, would you even know how to start).

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 12:09:22 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 12:07:13 AM »

Should I be dancing and whooping it up because I got the first post?

It's bedtime.  I'm medicated.  And my arm is still sore from therapy.  It's a good sore, I guess, but sore nevertheless.

Yep! It's my bedtime.
I'm writing in rhyme.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

beckon

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 12:54:42 AM »

DR Jane:

Re: Your post yesterday on my "never posting too late"

Thank you!  That was so sweet.  Reading it brought a smile to my face :)
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 04:14:28 AM »

Well well well well well well well.....well!!! (A Cass Daley reference).

Yes great reviews posted yesterday.  Whew! We did over $80,000 in business yesterday - which isn't a HUGE amount in the vast scheme of things, but is a LOT of money for our little store.  The students were for the most part well behaved and patient....they don't know the alphabet, but some of them caught on fairly quickly.

I will say NOW - there are some young ladies who should NEVER wear clothing that shows too much of their skin.....they do NOT have the figures for it.  There, I said it and I'm glad (another Cass Daley reference).

Hopefully I can visit HHW today because classes start and we shouldn't have such an inFLUX of students....just the odd one now and then....

I am learning my lines.....must write two DVD reviews for SS...and hopefully at least one will be used....I haven't seen the new issue yet, but one of mine is supposed to be in it....along with the writings of DRTD!!

MY question for ASKBK Day:

Did you see either WILD IN THE STREETS (out on DVD yesterday) or THE APPLE (out on DVD now - or soon, I forget) on the big screen, and can you tell us your impressions of these....uh....movies?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 04:14:52 AM »

Oh...this will be the last day for my Annette Avatar, so enjoy her while you can!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 04:47:15 AM »

Just read last night's late flurry of frenzies. Whew!

Michael

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 04:52:12 AM »

Just read last night's late flurry of frenzies. Whew!

And I'll double that Whew! Whew!!
Never stop dreaming.

beckon

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 04:55:42 AM »

AskBK:

Have any of your songs been published?  If so, where can one get them?  If not, have you ever thought of getting them published?
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 05:37:01 AM »

I got all kinds of What If? questions today...

BK, I brought it up in chat the other night, but I locked up and missed the answer--are you thinking of doing a cast recording?  Or at least a "keepsake" recording?

Will you be done with What If? once the run is over?  From the reviews, I'm garnering that a lot of folks feel that the show has legs.  Do you see an extended run somewhere on the horizon (or on the vertical?)  Would the current cast be available or do they already have future commitments?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 05:46:04 AM »

I hate being in the state of flux, but I dream of being in the lap o'fluxury.

And isn't it interesting to point-out that flummox is really only lummox with an f in front of it?

Or maybe it ain't...

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 06:03:53 AM »

Just a simple question for DRs all over: Is New York the only place where you go into most Chinese restaurants and find you are the only one eatting Chinese food while everyone else orders Fried Chicken or Chicken Wings?  For chicken, there's KFC, Boston Markets, Popeye, etc. so why not eat Chinese food at a Chinese restaurant.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 06:21:26 AM »

There are a couple of Chinese restaurants in Philly that have such items as burgers and fries, cheesesteaks, and pizza on their menu.  I always thought this was pretty odd, too.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 06:27:39 AM »

One of the companies I work for is in an upscale Chinese neighborhood (Richmond Hill). I sometimes go into a local Chinese restaurant and find Chinese grandparents having something traditional while their grandchildren are ordering things like macaroni and cheese, pizza, and ham sandwiches. Me, I get the daily special, which, IKYN (I kid you not in Internet lingo), is called "stir fried stuff."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 07:15:27 AM »

I laughed at DR William E. Lurie's Chinese restaurant comments. My favorite Chinese buffet in town has some fabulous Chinese dishes on it, but would you believe amid all of their Chinese specialties they also have baked ziti and a taco bar? I always laugh when I see the ziti. (Of course, I had to try it - not bad).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2004, 07:50:08 AM »

You can get a taco at our local Chinese Restaurant as well...
I guess the other choices are for those people who were forced to go to enjoy the company of fellow diners, but just can't eat the specialty food.

So what is the most adventurous thing any other DR has ordered or been recommended and it turned out to be wonderful?  (If it didn't, I don't want to hear...I want to hear about great food discoveries you have made)....I am sure we can share this with ASK BK Day, after all it is a FOOD subject!

I want to check to make sure I get the name of the dish I am thinking about correct....I shall return.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2004, 07:55:46 AM »

My Trinidadian friend Radica recommended curried goat - and it was excellent. She's now trying to talk me into ordering cow heel soup.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 07:57:57 AM »

Turtle, and I enjoyed it.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2004, 07:58:47 AM »

DR DTM:  Your comments about "General Hospital" reminded me of the summer I started watching OLTL ("One Life to Live" in....well, soap lingo).  Viki was pregnant with Kevin Lord Riley, for what seemed to be an interminable amount of time.....like 13 months.  When she finally gave birth, I thought "Oh, thank G-d!"  It was also around that time (or perhaps just prior) when OLTL and GH were each 45 minutes.  The time of the great scandal George Reinholt and Jackie Courtney caused when they jumped from Days of Our Lives to OLTL.  And some great cast members at that time, including the always under-appreciated Erika Slezak, Doris Belack, Farley Granger, Nancy Pinkerton (the original Dorian Cramer Lord -- as fabulous as Robin Strasser has been, and less so Clare Malis before her, there has never been as good a Dorian as Nancy Pinkerton.  Older, but better.), Jennifer Harmon, Jackie Zeman (before she went to GH), Judith Light (a case where a successor was better than the original cast member)...it goes on and on....Jameson Parker....For a time, it seemed like most of the entire original cast of NINE was on OLTL....Shelly Burch, Kate Dezina, Taina Elg.....those were  the old boarding house days with Sally Gracie as.....hmmm, funny how the character name escapes me...was it Ida, the landlady?

It wasn't until several years later when I started watching All My Children and GH.  And occasionally Edge of Night.

Funny how your one little comment sent me down memory lane......  how I recall that I was watching GH when they broke in to tell us that Reagan had been shot.

At any rate, that leads me to my question for BK on Ask BK Day:  Have you ever appeared on a soap?  Day player, or contract?  Have you ever been "hooked" on one?  Do you think it is still true that Carol Burnett is still an All My Children Fan, and La Liz a GH fan, with the way they focus all their energy on the younger characters and shunt the older reliable actors aside?

Readers, feel free to pitch in your responses....

Oh, and one more word of advice to DR Sandra:  Please, PLEASE, do not rely on Cliff notes for your reading list.  Use them as supplements if you must, but be sure to read the items on your list in their original forms......you will be doing yourself a favor.  Thanks.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2004, 08:00:31 AM »

I've never been to a Chinese restaurant where things like burgers, ziti or fired chicken were available.  One thing I do miss about New York, however, is the preponderance of Cuban/Chinese restaurants.  To be clear, this was not some kind of fusion cuisine, but rather one side of the menu would be Cuban food and the other side Chinese food.  There's a reason why these two cuisines arrived together in so many restaurants, but it escapes me at the moment.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2004, 08:08:19 AM »

Turtle, and I enjoyed it.

As I now have a personal turtle buddy, may I say EEEEEEEK! :o

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2004, 08:10:59 AM »

As for the question about unusual delicacies - Jane, avert your eyes - one Hungarian delicacy that I ate as a kid and was delicious was Calves' Brains.

Jay

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2004, 08:11:33 AM »

As Dear Reader Jose posted late last night, he and I went to the Mark Taper Forum in the town of Down last night for a performance of Intimate Apparel.  Miss Viola Davis played the lead character and she was splendid.  The entire supporting cast was quite strong, too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2004, 08:12:11 AM »

The Edge of Night.....mmmmmmmm.  On EBAY one time, I found the final broadcast week of TEON...Mike and Nancy...and Joel Crothers was on planning his wedding...it was wonderful to revisit all of my friends and see the story lines winding up.  And of course Miss Lois Kibbee was featured as well!

And of course DARK SHADOWS, right Danise?

Jay

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2004, 08:17:12 AM »

As for the question about unusual delicacies - Jane, avert your eyes - one Hungarian delicacy that I ate as a kid and was delicious was Calves' Brains.

Calves' brains remain available on the menu at none other than Musso & Frank's restaurant in the heart of Hollywood, U.S.A.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2004, 08:27:10 AM »

Well I am sure you approached the dish with more panache then did Liz Taylor in "Giant".

der Brucer (now humming "The Yellow Rose of Texas")

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2004, 08:30:44 AM »

The Edge of Night.....mmmmmmmm.  On EBAY one time, I found the final broadcast week of TEON...Mike and Nancy...and Joel Crothers was on planning his wedding...it was wonderful to revisit all of my friends and see the story lines winding up.  And of course Miss Lois Kibbee was featured as well!

And of course DARK SHADOWS, right Danise?

Imagine my surprise when once upon a time I saw Wade Nichols/Dennis Parker (aka Det. Derek Mallory) in a film that would have made Geraldine Saxon Whitney blush!

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2004, 08:40:47 AM »

The first soaop opera I ever got involved in was THE NURSES. This daytime soap came about after the nighttime series was canceled. I don't think it ran more than a year or two as a daytime soap, but I loved it, and it came on after I had enough time to walk home from school and tune in. (I'm guessing 3:30 p.m.)

Anyway, when ABC canceled it, it was replaced with, what else, DARK SHADOWS. I tried to get into DARK SHADOWS during its first couple of weeks of Gothic intrigue (this was before Barnabus Collins was brought onto the show), but it just didn't hold my interest.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2004, 08:45:57 AM »

Here is the famaily's latest "Lost Cause":

FLETCHER

He was picked up as stray in Brooklyn (but we won't hold that against him). He has a few problems: he is deaf, epileptic and suffers from PICA (an eating disorder in which animals ingest inappropriate foreign objects, like dirty socks).

The issue of deaf dalmatians now has me royally pissed off in high dudgeon.

The Dalmation Club of America has the following policy:

"IF YOU ARE AFFILIATED WITH AN ANIMAL SHELTER, HUMANE SOCIETY OR DOG RESCUE SERVICE, PLEASE do not attempt to place the deaf Dalmatian puppies and adults that come in, and do not advertise for a "special home" for the"poor little deaf Dalmatian." The HUMANE approach is to put down the deaf Dals and concentrate on finding good homes for the healthy, hearing dogs. "
[/size]

Now isn't that a bunch of elitist crap - Nazi attitudes in dogville!

It's even worse - they actively campaign against any organization that rescues deaf dalmations.

Our local Dalmatian Rescue of Delaware complains:

The DCA even goes so far as to not help any organization which rescues deaf Dalmatians. The DCA is supposed to protect the welfare and integrity of the breed but they will not give organizations who rescue mostly hearing Dalmatians, any financial support because we also rescue deaf Dalmatians. I have correspondence from a DCA official denying a request from a rescue organization for financial assistance with an injured hearing Dalmatian. The DCA’s reason for not helping them? Because this rescue "might" rescue deaf dogs

Nice thinking - if you help rescue  the disabled, we won't help you  resuing the healthy! >:(

der Brucer (maybe we should name him "Dudgeon")
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 08:49:14 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2004, 08:48:14 AM »

Calves' brains remain available on the menu at none other than Musso & Frank's restaurant in the heart of Hollywood, U.S.A.

Where else on Hollywood Blvd would you find brains?

der Brucer (inquiring minds want to know)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up