Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STATE OF FLUX  (Read 16293 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:THE STATE OF FLUX
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2004, 09:28:28 PM »

Another friend of mine was working on a pilot that aired but never sold.  He and his fellow producers were much bemused that, unbidden, a songwriter had created a song especially to be the theme song of this pilot.  The lyric went something like this "Hey, Anna: What are you doing for the rest of your life?" and they thought it was remarkable that someone would write a song with the same title of an already quite famous song.

Not THAT remarkable, thought I, and, within an hour, I sent them several possible theme songs (all dealing with the plot of the pilot) with the following titles:

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
Disco Inferno
God Bless America
Oklahoma!
My Funny Valentine
The Star-Spangled Banner
Walk Like an Egyptian

Fans of Lucille Ball might like the first lyric, which went something like

"Anna...
Is a lot like Lucy
'Cept she's in the sky
With diamonds"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2004, 09:29:41 PM »

The Wiz

(What do I wiz, er - I mean, win?)

You win this brand new Broyhill three-piece bedroom set!

And it's all yours, DR Noel, for playing Where Did This Question Song Come From?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2004, 09:33:29 PM »

General question.

What is your favorite question song?

I'll start.

Where Is Love? (Oliver!)

"Do I Hear a Waltz?" the title song from the Rodgers/Sondheim musical

"How Deep Is the Ocean?"

"What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?"

"What Can You Lose?" from DICK TRACY

I LOVE Pamela Myers' version of "What Did I Have That I Don't Have?" that she performed live on "Lerner, Loewe, Lane & Friends," the CD of which was produced by our very own BK!!

"Who Will Buy?" from Oliver!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2004, 09:47:18 PM »

I wish I could stay up later and help with the push to get past the ATL hump but I need to get my tired butt to bed.  

'night, y'all!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2004, 10:14:30 PM »

If Hale Business Systems, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Fuller Brush and W. R. Grace Co. merged, they'd become Hale, Mary, Fuller, Grace.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 10:15:02 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2004, 10:16:06 PM »

If Polygram Records, Warner Bros. and Zesta Crackers join forces, they'd become Polly, Warner Cracker.

George

« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2004, 10:17:17 PM »

If 3M will merged with Goodyear, the new company would be MMMGood

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2004, 10:17:28 PM »

I'm feeling slightly under the weather (sunny) so may not hang around for too long tonight. But I'll stick around until we get past the ATL.

George

« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2004, 10:18:21 PM »

Zippo Mfg., Audi Motor Car, Dofasco and Dakota Mining could merge to become, of course, ZipAudiDoDa

George

« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2004, 10:18:48 PM »

I'm feeling slightly under the weather (sunny) so may not hang around for too long tonight. But I'll stick around until we get past the ATL.

I'm doing my bit!

George

« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2004, 10:19:17 PM »

Federal Express is expected to join its major competitor, UPS, and consolidate as: FedUP

George

« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2004, 10:19:44 PM »

Fairchild Electronics and Honeywell Computers will merge and become: Fairwell Honeychild

George

« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2004, 10:20:02 PM »

Grey Poupon and Docker Pants are expected to become: Poupon Pants

Panni

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2004, 10:20:08 PM »

The cleaners I frequent has a rack of clothes for sale -- things that were never picked up, i think. One of the items is a pink Mary Kay smock (Mary Kay emboidered over the pocket). I'm very tempted to buy it and wear it to my next netwrok meeting

George

« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2004, 10:20:18 PM »

And finally:

George

« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2004, 10:21:09 PM »

Knotts Berry Farm and the Nat'l Org. of Women have combined forces and will become:  Knott NOW!

George

« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2004, 10:22:35 PM »

Panni, I'm sure that pink would be a very lovely color to wear at your meeting!  In the musical Angry Housewives, there's a song that goes:

Think positive,
Think perky,
Think Pink!

Panni

« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2004, 10:22:47 PM »

You're on fire, DR George! (And we've passed the dreaded ATL.)

George

« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2004, 10:24:16 PM »

And I hey-elped!!

Panni

« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2004, 10:25:13 PM »

Panni, I'm sure that pink would be a very lovely color to wear at your meeting!  In the musical Angry Housewives, there's a song that goes:

Think positive,
Think perky,
Think Pink!

I often wear a pink shirt to meetings -- in fact, I wore it today to a lunch meeting. The beauty of the Mary Kay smock, though, is the "Mary Kay" embroidered on it.

George

« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2004, 10:26:30 PM »

Sounds like a plan.

Panni

« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2004, 10:32:01 PM »

I accidentally lost my post in which I had listed the names of the Chinese Olympic divers. It's like a Monty Python routine listening to the announcers,

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2004, 11:03:45 PM »

I learned this evening, Dear Readers, that PBS can actually run interesting programming without pledge breaks.

At 8 pm there was an all too brief program about art direction in film, and then at 9 pm a 90 minute tribute to Mr. Gene Kelly.

Earlier today I saw a film called Rosenstrasse.  It is based on a little known actual event that occurred in Berlin in 1943.  Jews in Berlin who were married to Aryans had been spared the roundups that their fellow religionists suffered to that time.  In 1943, their marriages no longer provided any protection and they were rounded up and held prisoner in a building on Rosenstrasse ("Rose Street") in Berlin.  

The Aryan wives of the male prisoners held protest in front of the building for seven days, resulting in a rather surprising conclusion.

The story is interspersed with scenes from modern day New York, to where a young child involved in the 1943 episode moved following the war.  Her daughter is seen in contemporary Berlin, sleuthing details of the event from an adult participant in it.

Although it dragged a little bit here and there, the film is generally good and helped me learn about something with which I was unfamiliar.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2004, 11:38:25 PM »

I'm still here (a Follies reference!)... Too tired to go to bed. There's a pile of clothes on the bed which I put there when I got them (it?) out of the drier. I have to put them away before going to bed -- and I'm too TIRED.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2004, 11:39:38 PM »

It is a good feeling to know I have no pressure to "Frenzy" this evening/night. Thanks  to DR George in particular and of course to Mary Kay
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2004, 11:46:20 PM »

Watched a bit of the Olympics. I think I'd like to visit Greece. Actually the few Greek people I've known, I've really liked. Lived in a Greek neighborhood in Toronto for a few years. Wonderful. Worked with a Greek DP on a number of movies for the CBC. We'd go out for Greek meals and ouzo after shooting each day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2004, 11:57:29 PM »

New notes up momentarily.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2004, 11:57:36 PM »

Good Evening!

I ended up having a very pleasant afternoon filled with some very pleasant people.  I hied myself up to North Hollywood - to the Debbie Reynolds Studios to be precise - to meet up with Baayork Lee.  She was in town auditioning for an upcoming production of A Chorus Line for Houston's Theatre Under the Stars.  I made it there right on time, right at the end of their day, and as soon as I made my way into the room, Baayork greeted me with a great big hug. :)  Then she started to introduce me to everyone else in the room, and one of them turned out to be DI (Dear Interviewee) Larry Blank - who was my conductor for Sweeney Todd at the Kennedy Center.  It was very nice seeing him again, and, he, too, greeted me with a nice hug.  *And BK, Larry says, "Hi!"

Since it was the end of their day - and the end of their last day in town - they were heading out for some drinks, and kindly invited me along.  So, we all headed over to the Steak Joynt for some "adult beverages" and some rather good chili too!

Baayork and I got caught up - she'll be directing Cinderella for New York City Opera this fall!  I also got to meet one of Larry's friends, and a fellow pianist, James May.  Nice guy, and he even raised a glass to me in a pre-birthday toast.  *He's a fellow Virgo - his birthday is next week.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2004, 11:59:50 PM »

WHEW!  Just made it!!!

-Oh, and I went back to Macy's, and I finally found some decent shirts!  And they were on sale too!  :D
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up