Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SVELTE ME  (Read 15224 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SVELTE ME
« on: September 02, 2004, 11:59:23 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have made you svelte, but hopefully you haven't eaten a smelt or worn a pelt whilst reading the svelte notes.  Now it is time to post until the svelte cows come home in their Speedos.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 12:12:15 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE SVELTE ME
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 12:10:36 AM »

After posting three very long posts at the end of yesterday, I can say that:

In my DVD player:  Salaam "Bombay Dreams" (it was cheap).  After that will be the original "The Manchurian Candidate."

In my CD player:  Sweet Smell of Success by Marvin Hamlisch and Craig Carnelia.

In my VCR:  a tape of Thursday night's Comedy Central line-up:  "The Graham Norton Effect" and "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart."  But before that, however, I will watch Wednesday night's Comedy Central line-up:  "South Park," "Reno 911" and "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart."

Now it's late and I must sleep. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 12:51:39 AM »

DVD Player: the new release of Lion King 2: Simba's Pride.  I haven't gotten to the feature yet (the real reason to look forward to it is Suzanne Pleshette's vocal work as the villian.  However, there is a new short, called One By One, on the second disc that is very well done, telling it's simple story of children making and flying kites without a word of dialogue.  The multi-plane work is among the best I've seen.

CAR CD PLAYER:  Last Monday, I tried playing some music while taking the younger grandlad to the store, while der Brucer drove.  Little William was bored by everything I had on hand.  Carnival of the Animals wasn't any good.  Brent Barrett wasn't "cool."  It seems the only music he likes is what he's heard on cartoons, and even that is very limited to what is on Nickelodeon.  I am not impressed.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 01:16:42 AM »

A TRIPLE SVELL BIRTHDAY TO DR JOY AND DR MATTH AND DR SIGERSON HOLMES!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 02:34:07 AM »

Birthday greetings to the celebrating ones.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 02:47:08 AM »

From our garden!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 02:48:58 AM »

I'm experimenting with a friend's digital camera. The flower is called "Shady Lady". They are a hibrid of the Warratah flower.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 04:21:10 AM »

Happy Birthday Greetings and Salutations for fellow Virgoans:

MATT H
JOY
SIGERSON HOLMES!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 04:26:48 AM »

DRPANNI - I used to watch a Canadian sitcom, but I forget the name of it....grrrrrrrrrrrrr.....a couple of brothers....one always wore some kind of wacky sweater or something....I remember it made me laugh, but I forget the details.  Oh my!

Well we spent most of the rehearsal "folding in" the new guy. Whew!  Late work....but of course before that, the guy who quit showed up and said he "didn't mean it."  Horrible scene....oh my....well the board of directors is "going to hear all about how I was kicked out of the show...." and all that.  Oh my.  I love drama onstage....but out in the auditorium, it is very boring and time consuming....whew!

DVD PLAYER - I Love Lucy - the complete second season, including "Job Switching", "The Operetta", the baby episodes, and "Never Do Business with Friends" (Look what happened to YOUR washing machine!"

CD Player - Patty Duke's Greatest Hits

VHS - Lawrence of Arabia!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 04:27:33 AM »

Is DRCharles Pogue still having computer problems?

DRLAURA, there was a fuzzy bunny in my front yard yesterday morning and I thought that if I had a camera....I could post a photo....

beckon

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 05:40:05 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE AND ALL!!
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

beckon

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 05:42:03 AM »

DR Matt H. and DR Elan:

Thank you both for responding to my post yesterday about David Zippel.  Its good to hear different opinions.

Oscar Hammerstein II

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 05:44:23 AM »

DR MATTH wrote yesterday:

I
watched BIG BROTHER tonight, the last half hour anyway, and was amazed at the face-off between the party leaving and the often-on-the-chopping-block Marvin. But I didn't blame him. The One leaving was attempting to use some sort of threat/intimidation about having power as a member of the jury, and it just sounded like sour grapes to me.

I don't know, maybe it depends on if you like A or not, but I completely see things a different way.

I didn't find what happened to be an sort of intimidation.  I think a point was being made.  These people are on the jury.  THE JURY VOTES FOR THE WINNER OF BIG BROTHER.  A was just pointing out how stupid most of these players are.

Karen, who I haven't liked much these past few weeks, actually is playing it smart.  While Jennifer and Diane snubbed A all week, KAREN decided to approach A.  And because of that she has a chance to get some votes.

IMO, Marv, Diane and Nakomis blew it big time.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 05:48:42 AM by Jennifer »

beckon

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 05:45:17 AM »

Media Check:

VCR: Nothing
CD Player: Wonderful Town (w/ Donna Murphy), Seventh Heaven (OBC)
Cassette: The Last 5 Years (OC), Love Is Good (Christine Andreas)

Oscar Hammerstein II

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 05:53:38 AM »

DRs Panni and George - great shopping stories from last night!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 06:08:19 AM »

Happiest of Birthdays to DRs

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]MATT H

JOY

SIGERSON HOLMES!
[/move]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 06:08:52 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2004, 06:09:17 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DRS MATTH, SIGERSON HOLMES AND JOY!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2004, 06:14:49 AM »

For Big Brother fans:

Read the bottom of this for what happened in the Big Brother house.  The noms are awesome! :)

http://rapids.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/NewChat/NC-transcript.pl?CHAT_NAME=BigBrother5-14&WATCHER_ID=1347367&ACTION=TRANSCRIPT&LAST=999999
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 06:16:12 AM by Jennifer »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2004, 06:15:41 AM »

Bon Anniversaires a DRs MattH, Joy, and Sigerson Holmes.

I haven't gotten to the feature yet (the real reason to look forward to it is Suzanne Pleshette's vocal work as the villian.  

Can I just say how much I love Suzanne Pleshette?  Not sure, but always have....

CD Player - Patty Duke's Greatest Hits

Come now, DR Jrand.....as if that even needs to be plural.  Or that the CD needs to exist at all!  :-)  

(Hey, you know I am only kidding, right?  "It's Impossible" is a fave song/movie scene of mine.....And that I am the one who regretted not being able to get to California to see her Phyllis in FOLLIES......)

Ironic, ain't it?  Suzanne Pleshette and Patty Duke in the same posting....OK, everybody:  What's the connection?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2004, 06:16:49 AM »

Media Check:

CD/Office:  Nancy LaMott/"Listen to My Heart"
CD/Car:  GOLDEN RAINBOW
DVD:  Nothing
VCR: Nothing

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2004, 06:25:24 AM »

Story on Alias stars break-up and Season 3 dvd coming out next week!

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/life/20040902/d_alias02.art.htm

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2004, 06:34:09 AM »

CD - THE FROGS because I am seeing the updated version tomorrow; the totally unnecessary new recording of LUCKY STIFF - nothing wrong with it, but BK already did an excellent recording with much of the same cast

DVD - COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA - A very faithful film version (with Shirley Booth adding an Oscar® to the Tony® she already won for the role).  What a wonderful play.  Of course I am a big Inge fan.  His output may not have been as extensive as Williams or Miller, but the quality is every bit as good as the best of either of them.  In a period of about 10 years he wrote COME BACK LITTLE SHEBA, BUS STOP, PICNIC and DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS.  Does anyone know of a good bio of Inge? I'd like to know more about him.

VHS - Nothing

CASSETTE - The CBS RADIO THEATRE version of BRAVE NEW WORLD, narrated by Huxley himself.  I've never read it, but on the basis of this adaptation I plan to.

By the way, was Shirley Booth a descendent of the Edwin/John Wilkes dynasty?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2004, 06:56:27 AM »

DVD - COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA - A very faithful film version (with Shirley Booth adding an Oscar® to the Tony® she already won for the role).  What a wonderful play.  Of course I am a big Inge fan.  His output may not have been as extensive as Williams or Miller, but the quality is every bit as good as the best of either of them.  In a period of about 10 years he wrote COME BACK LITTLE SHEBA, BUS STOP, PICNIC and DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS.  Does anyone know of a good bio of Inge? I'd like to know more about him.

I've always been a big Inge fan as well.  These days he's almost like the forgotten mid-20th century playwright.

I know he grappled with his homosexuality and alcoholism, but it seems other playwrights bouts with those demons (Williams) and marriages to screen icons (Miller) got more press.  And in restrospect, as good as some of Inge's work is, it is probably not up to the level of the best of Williams and Miller.  But it's still better than the lesser works of those other two, and he doesn't deserve to be forgotten.

It seems that I vaguely recall a bio of him coming out in the early to mid 80s.  Whether or not I read it, I can't recall.

And I do not believe that our beloved Hazel was at all related to the assassin of a President of these here United States.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2004, 06:57:42 AM »

Well, I guess I'm up.  I awoke at six-thirty, tried to go back to sleep, but it's not happening at this time.  I think dear readers Jay and Jose and cronies must have really tied one on not to have made their usual late night postings (not the cronies, just Jay and Jose).  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2004, 07:29:22 AM »

Ah yes, DRSTUART the lovely Suzanne Pleshette....mmmmm.

YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE, THE BIRDS, and my favorite ROME ADVENTURE!

Johnny Carson once asked her if she ever watched her old movies on TV...and she replied: "Oh...in those movies my breasts were pulled up so high, I look like I am wearing them as earrings!"  LOL....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2004, 07:33:20 AM »

DR WEL - I have seen a few bigraphical chapters about William Inge...but no full biography.  I know his papers are in a college somewhere just waiting to be culled and written about.

PICNIC (the play) is probably my favorite, although COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA and THE DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS are also particular favorites.  

As DRSTUART wrote, he seemed to have a sad life and did not enjoy his success very much....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2004, 07:33:33 AM »

A hot dog makes her lose control....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2004, 07:36:24 AM »

Here is a site that is a bit outdated, but it has a nice short bio of Inge...some nice pictures....and assures that his name is still around...   :)

http://www.ingefestival.org/

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2004, 07:38:59 AM »

There has been a bio of Inge....  ;D

http://www.kansaspress.ku.edu/voslif.html

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2004, 07:57:35 AM »

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, fellow DRs, and my heartiest good wishes to those who share September 3rd with me.

I, too, would love to read a good biography of William Inge. His plays are still performed all the time around here, so I know there is still interest in his work. Funny, he won a couple of Pulitzers and an Oscar, but none of his plays ever won the Best Play Tony. Isn't that interesting!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up