Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SVELTE ME  (Read 15163 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE SVELTE ME
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2004, 11:20:14 AM »

All four of my friends--"cronies," according to Dear BK--

I prefer to think of your entourage as a "coterie", not  as your cronies. ("cronies" sounds like old hags!)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2004, 11:21:03 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT H,  JOY and  SIGERSON HOLMES!  Have a great day!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2004, 11:22:33 AM »

Bruce, I couldn’t be more pleased the new song was a hit. :D

Panni, I like your shopping experience, shoes, Brighton and See’s.  You can’t beat that.

Tomovoz, beautiful.  

Michael Shayne, where are you staying?  Have fun in Sunny L.A.

Jennifer, sorry I rarely make sauces and have never heard of that one.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2004, 11:22:36 AM »

On the way home, Dear Reader made a comment about the beauty of the Colorado Street bridge in Pasadena, which is not the first time he had done so when we were in the car together.  It is a beautiful arched bridge that curves in an S-shaped manner as it crosses the arroyo.  There are unusual light standards illuminating the bridge, as well.

So, good host as I try to be, I got off the freeway so we could drive across the bridge, which was a pleasant experience.  As we started, we heard a loud noise, which I thought was perhaps a rock being thrown by a tire into the passenger side wheel well in the rear.  As we neared my house, however, I realized one of my tires was flat.  Flat as a pancake.  (Oh.  A DuPars reference.)  The noise, I have deduced, was the sound of a blowout.  Luckily, I was but a block from my house and we were able to crawl home safely.  AAA was here this morning to put on the spare (by far too manly a task for me to undertake myself) and I am leaving now to get a new tire.  Luckily, I had road hazard insurance, so this should be a cost-free transaction.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 11:25:37 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2004, 11:24:31 AM »

I prefer to think of your entourage as a "coterie", not  as your cronies. ("cronies" sounds like old hags!)

der Brucer

I like that!  The term is most suitable for the fabulousness of my friends.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2004, 11:32:30 AM »

Tomovoz - Lovely photo.

Jay and Jose - Your evening sounds like it was even more fun than mine, if that's possible. BTW - Did I mention that I was offered chocolate chip cookies by the ladies who sold me my surprisingly half-price wallet? I was too full of See's chocolates to accept the kind offer, but I tell you about it so that you can TRULY measure the fabulousness of my evening, weigh it against DRs Jay and Jose's -- and then judge for yourself.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 11:33:46 AM by Panni »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2004, 11:40:12 AM »

Yesterday afternoon, I had (what's left of my) hair cut at a place down the street. We're not exactly talking Rodeo Drive. It was my first time there - and they offered me wine. I didn't accept, but chocolate chip cookies would have been a different story.

Emily

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2004, 11:42:24 AM »

Jennifer: I think it's called "rose sauce" (no accent of course).  I found some English websites that call it that.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN EPISODE OF THE KING OF KENSINGTON! And now I feel left out.  My parents used to love it supposedly - we even have Sarah Waxman's cookbook (supposedly a real collector's item) called "The King's Wife's Cookbook"!  Yet somehow I always missed it on tv.  

Today I learned that after the American Revolution - for which taxation was a big issue - the Revolutionaries' taxes actually went UP ten times!  The things you learn!

JRand - have you been watching the World Cup of Hockey?  Did you see the god-awful pee-coloured jerseys the Cdn team wore in its home opener?  Ewwwwwwwwwww.

I am going out for dinner and then to see a movie (Vanity Fair) with DR Andrea tonight.  I'll report tomorrow!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2004, 12:07:38 PM »

Good Morning!  -Well, it's now Good Afternoon!

As DR Jay mentioned in his earlier post, I did indeed do some singing and some playing after the show last night.  -Now, I'm just trying to remember the last time I sang solo... Hmm... However, a couple of years ago, I did have a small set of songs I would do here and there for some post-show cabarets... I'll have to dig that list up sometime.  Ah, well...

RE: Rosee sauce - Hmmm, doesn't ring a "dinner bell" with me, but it sounds like it could be something like a "bolognese sauce" (which is basically a meat sauce with cream stirred into it), or a "vodka sauce" (which is tomato and cream based).  I may have to Google this later myself just for curiosities sake.

Well, I need to finish up some stuff around here before heading out.  My laptop was acting up yesterday, and, apparently, a couple of files I was working on ended up getting corrupted in some sort of manner - ???  Ah, well...  But everything seems fine so far this morning.  But I'm gonna go re-save them under different names just to be safe - and back-up some things.  So...

But before I go...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BIRTHDAY BOYS!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BIRTHDAY GIRL!

Or, if you prefer:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BIRTHDAY MEN!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BIRTHDAY WOMAN!

Hmmm... ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2004, 12:08:24 PM »

Last night's performance was very good; the audience was a bit subdued at first, but they seemed to get into the spirit of things after a while. This happens sometimes when there is a preponderance of elderly people; it takes them a bit longer to catch on to what we're doing, but I must say, once they do they're a great audience.

BK,

I have a friend, Deb Filler, who does a one-woman show. (It's about growing up Jewish in New Zealand, the daughter of a Holocaust survivor, and it deals with various issues - most of them centered around food. (Her father was a baker.) In fact, she bakes a chalah - which is timed to finish when the show ends - and distributes it to the audience.)

Deb adores playing to this type of audience. She feels they bring a wealth of knowledge - including theatregoing experience - with them, and I know she gives them 110%.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 12:09:29 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Tomovoz

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2004, 12:11:22 PM »

Beautiful flower, Tom! Thanks for posting it.
Thank you DR Laura.  Thought you needed some competition. lol. My walk was only a few yards though.

The Warratah is the State Flower for New South Wales (a td reference!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2004, 12:13:38 PM »

And thank you DRs Panni & Jane. No doubt more  photos to share.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2004, 12:18:50 PM »

Jose's "bits" have vanished.  He does sit at the piano as Alet plays The Entertainer on the keyboard, and he has one line he says to Ryan.  I think that's about it.  But he now gets to bow with the cast, so that's a bit, I suppose.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2004, 12:29:15 PM »

All this talk of THE KING OF KENSINGTON led me to Google. I was curious to see if it was still remembered. Is it ever!
But this is for DR Emily, who seems to be the intellectual type, ya know. Your scholar. Little did I know as we slaved into the dawn on Thursday nights before the final taping, that we were creating a cultural icon. I thought we were just going for a litttle song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants. So take a look at this, DR Emily (from a much longer piece):

Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference (SCMS)
Minneapolis, Minnesota

....On the question of national cinema, Maeve Connolly presented a thoroughly engaging paper, again despite the early morning start, on Traveller (Comeford 1982). In it, she dissected the film treatment of Travellers, a sub-national minority group in Ireland. Similarly engaging, yet closer to home, was the paper presented by Canadian Sarah Matheson, who discussed the Canadian television show The King of Kensington. She analysed the ways in which the production constructed Canadian nationhood in terms of its cultural diversity, a phenomenon that is difficult to see paralleled in any recent Australian production of this sort.
Australian cinema was most significantly represented in the paper by Jennifer L. Gauthier, who – in a different session – spoke of the stolen generation, Aboriginal filmmaking and Rabbit Proof Fence. She argued that Noyce's film had made a significant contribution to the process of reconciliation. Her perspective was all the more interesting given the freshness of an outsider's point of view....

« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 12:30:38 PM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2004, 12:30:03 PM »

A big bit!  Hehehehe....

So happy that the new song is doing what you wanted it to....and the Molly/Annie premise is just too too intriguing.  Does said song have a title....and even if it does, what would Benjamin Kritzer have called it when he heard it (not knowing said actual title, of course)?

DR derBrucer, I thought a coterie is where you buy your winter clothes.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2004, 12:41:04 PM »

Mr BK if you were in Africa, would you be so sveldt in the veldt that you would need a belt to hold up your pelt?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2004, 01:05:25 PM »

Oh DRPANNI - sometimes shopping can be joyful!  I love your story....and since it rang up at that price, at one time or another it was SOLD at that price, so you just got yesterday's bargain today....well yesterday...well...you know...

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2004, 01:16:16 PM »

Have had trouble getting on the internet today, but I am now here!

Happy birthday to all the birthday people!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2004, 01:20:12 PM »

Speaking of books, I am currently reading GERTRUDE LAWRENCE AS MRS. A by Richard Aldrich, her husband for the last ten years of her life.  This covers the years after STAR, but in STAR she meets Aldrich after LADY IN THE DARK, whereas they were already married when she did it.

Not true. In STAR she meets him in London and then years later she runs into him again at a birthday party in her honor and is insulted/charmed enough to go to Cape Cod to appear in SKYLARK. All this was pre-LADY IN THE DARK.

You are correct that she doesn't MARRY him in the film until after the opening of LADY. Maybe that's what you meant.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2004, 01:20:56 PM »

DRMBARNUM - I think I will get to watch the end of ANAND sometime tomorrow!!!  Full report when I do!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2004, 01:22:32 PM »

Are you saying STAR! was not accurate?  OMG - a film bio that distorts the facts and plays with the timing of the life of its subject?  There oughta be a law!

Has anyone seen my video of HARLOW?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2004, 01:22:37 PM »

My thoughts and prayers go out to any Southeast HHW readers.  May Frances tread lightly over you.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2004, 01:24:22 PM »

I can't and won't argue BIG BROTHER. I haven't watched every episode but have merely kept up from this site and others, reading the details of each episode's events the day after they transpired. I have no feelings about any of them either way. I merely gave my impressions of their behavior coming into the show with fairly fresh, unprejudiced eyes.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2004, 01:24:30 PM »

Media check:

VCR: Jayne Mansfield in IT HAPPENED IN ATHENS which I very much enjoyed.

CD: Various things but nothing new.

And my Bollywood movies for this weekend:

RUSTOM E HIND (1965). Another Bollywood sword and sandal type film. I watched it last night and it was a bit confusing and had way too many comedy relief characters, but it was OK. Stars Dara Singh, a handsome former professional wrestler who seemed to make a living out of this type of film in the 1960s. He also played Tarzan, Hercules, and other muscular heroes during that decade and is still making films today.

Also stars the lovely Mumtaz who reminds me of a Hindu LESLIE PARRISH.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2004, 01:27:30 PM »

Next up is a Bollywood that I have had lying in my stack of unwatched DVDs for a long, long time. RAAZ (2002) is a ghost movie about a young couple whose marriage is on the rocks. They retreat to a house in the country to try to patch things up and find that there new abode is haunted.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2004, 01:31:25 PM »

I did, FINALLY, get to YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER today. Enjoyed the film as much as ever, but I wish I could say the transfer was never lovelier. There were a few scratches and splotches, and while overall it looked nice, the whole thing just didn't shimmer the way CASABLANCA or THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE do, or even Warners' lesser B&W DVDs like KEY LARGO and THE MALTESE FALCON or NOW, VOYAGER.

Now, I know these catalogue releases are not going to get the scrub and brush-up that something like CITIZEN KANE or CASABLANCA did. There just isn't enough demand for the film on DVD to warrant that kind of expenditure. BUT, on the back of the case, they've written "Remastered in High Definition." Pardon me if I say that I just don't believe that having seen this finished product.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2004, 01:33:17 PM »

They retreat to a house in the country to try to patch things up and find that there new abode is haunted.

Ain't that always the way??   ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2004, 01:37:10 PM »

CD:
The Best of Hank Williams,
"Teddy Bear" - Red Sovine
Charlie Pride - Best of.

Dont ask!

DVD. nothing   VCR nothing
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2004, 01:43:12 PM »

I can't and won't argue BIG BROTHER. I haven't watched every episode but have merely kept up from this site and others, reading the details of each episode's events the day after they transpired. I have no feelings about any of them either way. I merely gave my impressions of their behavior coming into the show with fairly fresh, unprejudiced eyes.

So there, whoever it was trying to draw MattH into an argument.

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2004, 01:46:52 PM »

Today I learned that after the American Revolution - for which taxation was a big issue - the Revolutionaries' taxes actually went UP ten times!  The things you learn!

Ummm....I think someone left something out.  The issue wasn't just "taxation" -- it was taxation "without representation."

The colonies were being heavily taxed, but were given no voice in British government.  The people were essentially being treated as slaves...making the Colonies work for the good of the British Empire but having absolutely no say in anything regarding how they, themselves, would or should be treated.

BIG MISTAKE, that!

;D

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up