Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POINT  (Read 18179 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE POINT
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2004, 02:30:34 PM »

So many people here.  Perhaps they'll post after they've caught up.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2004, 02:30:48 PM »

JRand54,   Take a lesson from an old book collector, never loan books out unless you expect to never see them agan.

I once saw a bookplate that read:

"This book is not an orphan so don't adopt it."

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2004, 02:35:34 PM »

Re: loaning out things

I think you have to know who you are loaning the item to (and if they are the type not to return stuff).  I loan things to my sis (and she loans stuff to me).  But we both know that we will get our stuff back.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 02:39:39 PM by Jennifer »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2004, 02:44:39 PM »

I will be contacting the Evil Kurt tomorrow to see what goes!

DRMBARNUM you may be a bit on the young side to know this lady!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2004, 02:46:23 PM »

I once loaned a DVD to a very good friend of mine and when she returned it, it was all scratched up!  I bought another copy on eBay and she paid me back for it.  My dad refuses to loan his books to anyone...other than family.  We all know how much he loves his books!  Me, I've pretty much stopped loaning CDs, DVDs and videos.  Mainly, because I tend to forget who I loaned them to!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2004, 02:47:41 PM »

If I wanted somebody to read a book or they wanted to read something of mine, I'd just buy them a cheap copy of it rather than loan out a copy from my collection.  When I first read PRINCESS BRIDE by William Goldman, I used to pick up used paperback copies and keep them around to loan out to people, never expecting them back.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 02:50:19 PM by Charles Pogue »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2004, 02:47:53 PM »

Can you identify this woman - profiled in a September, 1967, issue of LOOK magazine?

I take a stab in the dark and guess Virginia Graham.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2004, 02:53:37 PM »

All this talk about yummy bread is making me hungry. I want food, and this Chinese fried rice just isn't doing it.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2004, 02:58:56 PM »

I have never seen a Cinerama movie in Cinerama.

I like garlic bread, but I really haven't had any that I thought was particularly tasty in a restaurant for years.  The last good restuarant gb I've had was crisply toasted brioche that was smothered with garlic butter.  Yummm...

I stay away from the supermarket frozen stuff.  It never bakes right and is never garlicy enough for me.  And what the heck is Texas Toast pretending to be, anyway?

Homemade garlic bread is the best.  Even better if you make some homemade garlic butter.  Yummm x 2...

-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2004, 02:59:28 PM »

Good guess DtM - but not the lady in question.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2004, 03:42:13 PM »

I see live people, so what's with these hour-long lags?  Have we no topics?  How about tapioca?  How about tap-dancing?  How about topography?  I think I'm through with today's writing.  Now, what to watch on DVD?  That is the question.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2004, 03:44:55 PM »

I saw the original THIS IS CINERAMA® twice during its initial run in the mid-50s.  In the 70s it was being revieved at the Ziegfeld in NYC... imagine my surprise and disappointment when I discovered this was being shown in regular one screen 70 millimeter and NOT in Cinerama®!

Friday night we attended the latest Drama Department presentation THE DOWNTOWN PLAYS.  This was supposed to be 9 ten-minute plays by nine contemporary playwrights, but most of them ignored the ten-minute limit, and the main fault of the evening was its length when most of the plays could have easily been tightened up.  The highlight of the evening was Jackie Hoffman in a monologue by Paul Rudnick about a mother at her first PFLAG meeting.  This was truly hilarious.  The low point --- and really only play I didn’t care for --- was Wendy Wasserstein’s version of a Greek myth as told by a rabbi to the accompaniment of 50’s rock records.  It was funny but had no real point and ended the evening on a less than perfect note.  Celebrity “hosts” for the evening were Kitty Hart (looking great at 94 and talking about the stamp being issues in honor of Moss’s centennial) and Tovah Feldshuh who managed to get in several Golda stories.

Saturday afternoon was GREENWILLOW at Mufti.  Very well performed, the show is one of those great scores, mediocre book pieces.  Regarding the book, I find a play with a man who travels all over the world and returns to his wife every few years just to get her pregnant before he leaves again offensive (not to mention the wife whose self-esteem is so low that he permits it).  The main thrust of the play involves his son who won’t marry his true love because he feels he is cursed to be like his father.  What’s more, there are so many side incidents the main story often gets lost in calf baptisms, dueling priests and other things.  That said, the score is so wonderful that you don’t care how stupid the plot is and is sung to perfection here.  With only 30 hours of rehearsal for the entire show, some of the choral singing sounds as if they had worked on it for months.  By all means get the CD (although the original cast’s Anthony Perkins cannot compare with Mufti’s Machota), as the glorious Loesser music can be enjoyed better without the inane book.

Musicals Tonight’s latest offering was MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, in a production that they seemed to have put together themselves (though Hugh Wheeler is credited with the book).  Every song from the film is used (except “You and I”), but the remainder of the score takes a couple of numbers from the 1960s strictly-for-stock version, others from the 1989 Broadway version, plus two songs Martin and Blane wrote for the 1963 remake  of BEST FOOT FORWARD.  The book is word for word the screenplay (not by Hugh Wheeler) with the only additional dialogue being the lead-ins to the songs not in the film.  A cast of twenty did a fine job with the material. But it was the most unnecessary show I’ve seen in a long time… especially with the movie now available in a beautifully restored DVD.  Who needs Heather Parcells (an excellent singer who I would like to see in something else) when you can watch Judy Garland in one of her finest performances.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 03:46:20 PM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2004, 03:47:37 PM »

I like tapioca pudding.

I've never tried tap-dancing, except when I'm fencing. But that's not really tap-dancing. I'm not sure what that is. Come to think of it, it's not really fencing.

I have no opinion on topography.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 04:03:20 PM by Sandra »

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2004, 03:48:57 PM »

Who indeed?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2004, 03:59:35 PM »

I'm watching (on laserdisc) "Heaven Can Wait" with Warren Beatty.  I still love this movie!  Dyan Cannon is wonderful!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2004, 04:00:52 PM »

Hi, All...Just signed up after being introduced to your group by Elmore (I was the "other woman" visiting him in NYC when Jane was there!)

JRand54:  Is the woman in the picture Nancy Dickerson?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2004, 04:03:12 PM »

Dear BK (and other Los Angeles area residents):

When was the last time you went to the Smoke House?  I was running a Google, and as of 2003 I was finding references to a) the owner trying to find an investor to help pull them out of bankruptcy and b) the plot of land it's on being coveted by condo builders!

I hope they're still in operation, because I'd be very sad if we lost their garlic cheese bread without getting the recipe!   :-[
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2004, 04:04:39 PM »

Hi Ginny! Do you like Cherry Coke?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2004, 04:04:48 PM »

Welcome new DRGINNY and yes you are correct.  It is television news correspondent Nancy Dickerson!

Congratulations!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2004, 04:07:35 PM »

Now I'm REALLY worried.  I just ran a check through Digital City, and didn't find a listing.  And I KNOW they used to be listed!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2004, 04:09:58 PM »

And it's not listed on Yahoo's Yellow Pages!

:-[ :-\ :'(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2004, 04:22:14 PM »

Ginny!  What a nice surprise!  The folk here are great, and I hope you have a good time with us.  How was THE MIKADO?

For all you other DRs, Ginny is a wonderful actress and friend from my hometown, and I'm thrilled she's joined us.  I won't say more than that since I think you should come to know her on your own.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2004, 04:31:30 PM »

I love garlic bread but rarely make it at home any more as I eat too much.  I recall the Hamburger Hamlet makes good garlic bread.  Anyone in the L.A. remember Mario’s across the street from the Village Theater?  They also had good garlic bread.  The best was at La Barbara’s on Wilshire near Bundy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2004, 04:32:20 PM »

Well, I was at The Smoke House last night, so it's alive and well.  Went there after the screening with some chums who I hadn't seen in quite some time.  The screening at my friend's screening room was supposedly going to be totally full.  I was called four times last week to make sure I would be using my seat.  So, I get there last night and there are about twenty empty seats when he finally starts the fershluganah movie.

The Smoke House seemed very lively and busy and this was at nine-thirty.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2004, 04:34:26 PM »

Welcome, new dear reader Ginny!  Any friend of elmore's is a friend of ours.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2004, 04:36:53 PM »

Welcome Ginny.

It seems that there are very few of us old enough to be around for the original Cinerama releases.

And of course I have never heard of Nancy Dickerson. She  has not heard of me either.

Today is Helen Reddy's birthday. (Tomorrow for you). perhaps you can all wear your red dresses.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2004, 04:42:54 PM »

Here is a question: What was the first B'way musical to use an electric guitar in its pit?  For some reason I thought the answer was probably Bye Bye Birdie - but I'm listening to an album recorded several years before and there is an electric guitar plain as day.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2004, 04:50:29 PM »

Here is a question: What was the first B'way musical to use an electric guitar in its pit?  For some reason I thought the answer was probably Bye Bye Birdie - but I'm listening to an album recorded several years before and there is an electric guitar plain as day.

I thought the answer was BIRDIE as well.  Are you sure it's not an overmiked acoustic guitar?  Is it JAMAICA? That had a very jazzy band.  I realize I have no idea when the electric guitar was even invented.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2004, 04:50:53 PM »

Did Maria Von Trapp play electic guitar? Well I never.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2004, 04:53:21 PM »

There is a prominent electric guitar in Li'l Abner.  It really surprised me as I hadn't really paid attention to it before.  Not sure when it was invented, but Les Paul was playing one in the early fifties, I believe, or maybe before.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up