Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHIRLING DERVISH  (Read 19544 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE WHIRLING DERVISH
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2004, 12:34:59 PM »

DR Jane:  OZ is 17 hours ahead. At 2.00pm on Monday for you, I shall be reading Tuesday's notes. (7.00am Tuesday here).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2004, 12:38:31 PM »

And now for something completely different...

Has anyone ever heard of pouring a small amount of hyrdogen peroxide in your ears in order to stave off an incoming cold?

Has anyone ever tried it?
My mother used to use that method on me(when I was a child) BUT it was because I often had earaches from too much wax build up. I don't remember being prone to head colds - maybe it worked!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2004, 12:57:13 PM »

At the moment I'm so tired I can't remember a thing I've seen this year -- except a second big bug hunted down by Abie. I hope this isn't the beginning of an invasion. Maybe they were just a couple out on a first date and got lost -- and squished. Bad first date.
From what I've heard, first dates for bugs usually aren't the best anyway.  They inevitably get into a discussion of Kafka, and...need I go further?

8) ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2004, 01:08:53 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I made it in and out of Target.  WOW!  What a madhouse.  It was one of those days where every parking space was gone, and all the shopping carts were in use too.  Luckily, I snagged a space and cart without too much trouble, but I spied many a person driving round and round trying to find that space - and, most likely, very close to the entrance.

I picked up my supplies - except for my TV tray.  I just want a cheapo on - I'll check Kohl's or Sears or some other place like that later.  No hurry.

I stopped for a lunch at a Peruvian Chicken and Steak place and got their Chorizo Sandwich - I've had the chicken and steak there many times, so I wanted to try something new.  And I got a side of yucca frita - my favorite fried tuber - along with some extra salsa verde and salsa blanco for dipping.  YUM!

Now I'm home putting things away.  I just cleaned my iron - the one that I brought back with me from Richmond.  There was a huge black burned spot on the soleplate - lots of build up.  I had my Rowenta cleaning kit up here, and that did the trick.  However, I did notice a few gouges in the soleplate after cleaning it and from the looks of the tip of the iron, it looks it may have gotten dropped sometime in the past.  Hmm.. Ah, well..  -I bet my roomie was looking all over the place for the iron yesterday afternoon when he went to iron his work shirts... And I have no idea where his old cheapo iron has been stored all this time.  ;)

-Yes, a bit of schaudenfreude (ah, and AVENUE Q reference) - and revenge of sorts - going on here.

Well, I need to do some more cleaning up around here.  My mom is hosting the Christmas party for her nursing home employees tonight - thus, the lumpia being made last night.  I got some ironing and washing to do... Then it's off to the show...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2004, 01:28:45 PM »

The Big Voice: God or Merman?... About ten times better than that other musical in town featuring a happily-together middle-aged gay couple.
HEY, DER BRUCER!  It sounds like someone's written a musical about us!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2004, 01:41:48 PM »

It seems to me the  problem is Barnes & Noble's.  We have promotion all over the store encouraging ordering books on line for free delivery, discounts, etc. from the main office, and then everybody wonders where the huge crowds are.  Duh!  They're most likely ordering online.
This shouldn't keep the crowds away, just keep the sales down.  Der B and I have often used the stores (and not just B&N) as a way of scouting what's available, and then going on-line for the purchase.  But we've also found that the sales in the store often make up the difference and match the on-line discounts.

And I've yet to hear of a home office that doesn't have unreasonable expectations of it's stores.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2004, 01:45:48 PM »

Danise, have you ever heard the Forbidden Broadway version of "The Phantom of the Musical?"  It's hysterical!  "Andrew Lloyd Webber" wears the mask but under it, he's really Micky Mouse!
I always thought that was a slap in the face...to Mickey!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2004, 01:51:49 PM »

I always thought that was a slap in the face...to Mickey!

I didn't think that it was complimentary to either one! ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2004, 01:56:59 PM »

And here is a shot of my good buddy (and gay conservative Republican, LOL!) Mark prior to our departure last night.
I resemble that remark (but not the photo)!

8)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2004, 01:57:13 PM »

Back from the signing, which I'm happy to say went terrifically.  The author next to me sold one book.  I sold many more than that - even the store owner was happily surprised at the number we sold and the fact is he's down to only five copies.  More in a bit.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2004, 01:58:24 PM »

I just finished vacuuming the basement carpets, the living room, two flights of stairs and the upstairs carpets... In short, almost the whole house.  I guess that was "walk" for today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2004, 02:00:01 PM »

OOh.... I just had one of the first eggrolls to come out of the fryer.... I think I'm going to have at least one more... if not five, six...

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2004, 02:01:33 PM »

Because I do so much theatre, I don't see much!  But I can say is that what I saw this past year was great:

Starlight Express

Thoroughly Modern Millie (which I didn't particularly enjoy, but our very own Juliana was excellent!

Big River (with sign language - SUCH A GREAT SHOW!)

Hairspray

Little Shop of Horrors

White Christmas

I think that's all.

Happy B-day DR Ginny![/size]
[/color]

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2004, 02:03:31 PM »

Thanks everyone for all of the great happy birthday wishes yesterday!! What  a wonderful bunch of DRs you all are!! I appreciate it!

Had a lot of fun last night...went to Gustav's in Portland for German food...I had some sort of meatball with sauce..don't recall the name...and it was tasty! My best buddy Mark, and Terry and his boyfriend Jim, and our friend Gregg (his partner couldn't go as he had his two daughters for the weekend) went.

After dinner all of us, except Gregg, went downtown and hit a few bars....didn't get home until the wee hours of the morning. Got hit on by two nice looking guys and one drag queen whose beehive hairdo I was admiring! LOL!

I will try to post some pics of our dinner last night. I am beat and must run to the store and then nap (I have only had a few hours of sleep. Ugh).

Damn, Mr. Barnum, your friends are as good looking as you are.  Of course, I have always said that the men of Oregon are all VERY good looking.  Yes, Jane, that includes your husband.

[move=UP,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GINNY![/move][/size]

« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 02:05:17 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2004, 02:16:10 PM »

TOD:

Jewish Thighs on Broadway (we brought some red roses for the leading lady)

Children of Eden (we brought some green roses for the piano man)

I Am My Own Wife

and Wonderful Town.

(We didn't get to see much theater this year.   :-\)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2004, 02:21:17 PM »

Back from bk's signing and a few errands (of course, I forgot to do the most important one - and I was right in the neighborhood). As bk said, the signing was a success. Lots of books sold and a nice group dropping by to chat. There was no reading, just signing and shmoozing. I rushed out and forgot to take my camera, otherwise this would be an illustrated lecture.

td

• td
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2004, 02:23:41 PM »

DR Jane, to keep track of time here and abroad, this is what I use:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

With the world clock site, you can customize it on a personal basis and know the right time to make phone calls as well as send birthday wishes.   ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2004, 02:24:49 PM »

Right now, it is almost 9:35am in Sydey, Australia.

td

• td
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2004, 02:26:34 PM »

TOD:
Locally I saw two wonderful productions at Open Stage Theatre:
SYMPATHETIC MAGIC
THE GLASS MENAGERIE

In NYC, I saw:
WICKED
THE BOY FROM OZ
WICKED
PACIFIC OVERTURES

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2004, 02:41:07 PM »

And I wore my brand spanking new Writer's Block Polo Shirt - black with white "Writer's Block" on the left boob.

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2004, 02:49:23 PM »

DR Ginny, I almost forgot to wish you a wonderful HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2004, 02:49:36 PM »

Happy Birthday DR Ginny.

DR MBarnum, that was quite a....festive group you were out with last night!  It seems like your little "family" made sure you enjoyed your special day.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2004, 02:49:59 PM »

Off to the theatre... -I'm gonna try to make a Trader Joe's run in on the way if the traffic is not too bad... We shall see...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2004, 02:50:36 PM »

BK, glad that you your reading today was such a big success!

I think I will take a nap now!

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2004, 02:51:38 PM »

Happy Birthday DR Ginny.

DR MBarnum, that was quite a....festive group you were out with last night!  It seems like your little "family" made sure you enjoyed your special day.

They did. I consider myself very fortunate to have such a wonderful group of friends!!

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2004, 03:02:41 PM »

Oh, my, thank you ALL for the birthday wishes I've received throughout the day today!  These pointy party hats are getting quite a workout, aren't they?

My husband and son (apologetically) abandoned me this weekend to help out with a Scout thing, but left lovely presents, which I found at my place on the kitchen table when I returned from work yesterday (yes, I waited until this morning to open them!)

Today, I went with some girlfriends on a shopping trip to the new Wild Oats Market nearby and tomorrow my mom is taking me to Music Hall for the Cincinnati Pops Christmas concert (with students from the UC-CCM musical theater program and Sandy Patti or Sandi Patty, I can never remember how she spells her name).  We're actually going on the group bus with her retirement community neighbors, so I'll probably be the "baby" in the bunch.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2004, 03:05:21 PM »

Looking back over the last year, I'm faced with one big change that's a result of our moving: theater has to be planned well in advance, instead of something we can just "do."  

We've made three trips to NYC (this last one didn't involve seeing a show), and each time the trip involved a long drive northward and a long drive southward after.  That's about eight hours driving.

The trip to see PennyO in Jewish Thighs on Broadway just north of Philly?  I'd say that was three hours each way.  South to DC for Children of Eden?  About the same.

We enjoy these trips, but it sure whups the hell out of doing these things spontaneously.

Don't get me wrong; I love my new home.  I'll take hearing geese honking when I wake up in the morning to cars honking, any day.  And der B and I haven't fully explored the local theater scene...well, we've hardly explored it at all.

Still, it points out something that city dwellers take for granted: that there are things in the city that population density makes available, which are less available to those of us outside the denseness.

Restaurants we've got.  Fresh air we have plenty of.  Bookstores and record stores...ouch.  (There's always ordering over the Internet, of course.)  Movie theaters, a couple of multiplexes close by.  Live theater...no.

For those who will say "I couldn't live like that," well, you probably couldn't.  That's your choice.

Do I really miss being able to go to the theater oompityfratz times a year?  A little.  But not that much.

Of the five shows der B and I saw, the only disappointment was Assassins.  We made up for that with major raids that trip on the Times Square Virgin and the Drama Book Shop.  We have learned to take advantage of every trip we take!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2004, 03:10:52 PM »

Time to get going and get dinner on the table.  Something simple tonight, steaks and baked taters.  Last night was the bank-breaker, feasting at our friend's restaurant on trout (der B) and venison loin (moi).  It gave me a better appreciation of venison, tasting someone else's preparation.  That and he served the game with a berry compote and some roasted chestnuts, something I've got to try myself!  Chestnuts are new for me, not a West Coast item at all.  Yummers!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2004, 03:15:39 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR GINNY  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 03:16:33 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2004, 03:33:49 PM »

Another successful signing - two in LESS than seven days.  I bet the radio coverage helped!

Thanks for the photos DRMBARNUM!  Lovely birthday photos!  Were these all taken with your new camera?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up