Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND  (Read 19246 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2004, 10:40:33 AM »

Schwartz did such wonderful work in the 70's:
Godpsell
Pippin
The Baker's Wife
The Magic Show
Working (a score by many writers - I'm just commenting on the SS numbers here)

Comparing his recent work:
Wicked
Jepetto
The Prince of Egypt
Children of Eden

I see a distinct drop in quality.  I've played through many, but not all, of the songs from Children of Eden.  I've no doubt that the show has yet to play New York because it is of insufficient quality.

Off to work with a Rockette...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2004, 10:44:33 AM »

I'm not a big fan of Nuclear Disaster films.  If you'll all pardon the pun, they radiate little charm.  

For that matter, end-of-the-world scenarios aren't that exciting any more, even when the horrible end is averted.  They've become so predictable.  The clock is ticking, always in a red LED (a Roger Ebert reference).  The hero, who is always the fellow everyone has been scoffing at since the beginning of the film, and who alone has to save the world, finally pulls the proverbial rabbit out of the hat, thwarting the plot by pushing the right button or masterfully sending the master computer with a dizzying display of contradictory logic.  It's all become hopelessly cliched.

Even the Bond films, a cliche unto themselves, have fallen into disrepair, and they're supposed to be all about this scenario.

I will admit, the idea of Earth's end as proposed by Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is amusing, but if I go any further someone will accuse me of giving spoilers.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2004, 10:48:01 AM »

I cannot believe I slept until ten-thirty.  I haven't done that in over ten years, since the Totally Hidden Video days, when, on the occasion when we would actually have a day off, I'd sleep for twelve hours.  Well, I'm up now and wondering where in tarnation IS everyone?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2004, 10:53:26 AM »

Noel, dissing Children of Eden because it hasn't played NY (by which I assume you mean Broadway) due to poor quality doesn't work, not when you praise The Baker's Wife, a show that didn't come in to New York City because of it's poor quality.

Der Brucer and I have seen Children of Eden, just last year in fact, performed at the Ford in DC.  (DR Jose was in the pit.)  Not only are there several individual numbers that are of high quality ("In Whatever Time We Have," "Stranger to the Rain," and "The Hardest Part of Love" are just three), the show works remarkably well as a whole.

That it would probably not play well on Broadway says more of the jadedness of that particular audience than of CoE's quality.  This is a show that should be, and is, a part of regional theater's repetory.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 11:05:50 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2004, 10:53:33 AM »

Oh, and a happy haineshisway.com birthday to JB-NYC.  I have no idea who it is, since they've never posted, but wishes anyway in case they're lurking.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2004, 11:08:28 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Vibes to Jose's Dad[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2004, 11:24:52 AM »

Good morning all.  I slept in 'till 11 today, it felt nice.  Today I WILL clean my apartment.  My little place is in dire need of some cleaning, and after this weekend I won't have much time...the upcoming week and following weekend I will be swamped with performances of Handels Messiah with the Seattle Symphony.  So today I will clean!  Yup...here I go...to clean...gonna get up...any minute now...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2004, 11:28:04 AM »

Time for me to get the oven warmed up, so I can roast a few chestnuts.  I'm thinking a chestnut-mushroom gravy would go well with mashed potatoes and pork chops.  I still haven't decided how I'm going to prepare the carrots that will finish the plate.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »

I'm up, but I have to leave.  My sister and I are going to get a tree for her and one for my work (they're paying for it! ;D ).  After that, we'll probably eat and then I'll be back home to continue to work on stuff on my computer.  Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2004, 11:53:51 AM »

Sounds like a busy fun day DRGEORGE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2004, 11:56:43 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was a Sunday or something.  I'm actually going to ship a few packages today.  

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2004, 12:12:20 PM »

Guess who's coming to dinner:

Look carefully for the White-tail deer right in the center of the picture. Picture was taken from my side yard looking into the not yet developed lot next door.

der Brucer (who, now that he's got his, is anti-growth!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2004, 12:20:33 PM »

What a beautiful pic, Der Brucer!

I have the trash taken out and papers/mail sorted through, and all the glider stuff picked up...the room looks nice and tidy.  All that remains is to wash the kitchen floor and do the dishes.  Oh joy.  Can you tell I save the best for last? :)

Ah yes, and I really should clean the bottom of the gliders' cage...it kinda needs it.  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 12:21:58 PM by Ann »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2004, 12:22:09 PM »

I've no doubt that the show has yet to play New York because it is of insufficient quality.

Well, it may not rise to the Broadway standards of Oh! Calcutta - who's B'Way revival lasted a mere 13 years.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Danise

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2004, 12:27:24 PM »

Wonderful picture, Dear Uncle!

I am here to report we have also had a visitor--a strange man in a red and white suit, riding on a firetruck!  He passes by this way every year.

Here is the picture to prove it!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 12:33:34 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2004, 12:28:03 PM »

And there he goes on his merry way!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2004, 12:36:12 PM »

Great photos, DRDANISE and derBRUCER.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2004, 12:43:36 PM »

Well, as long as everyone is posting pics...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2004, 12:48:10 PM »

And here's a pic I took in August of my best friend from high school and his partner.  They live in Austria now, he's studying to be an opera singer.  My friend is the one with the light colored shirt with the writing.  Aren't they cute together?

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2004, 01:04:16 PM »

DR Ann, that little Slider is adorable...and so are you buddies in Austria!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2004, 01:07:38 PM »

Guess who's coming to dinner:

Look carefully for the White-tail deer right in the center of the picture. Picture was taken from my side yard looking into the not yet developed lot next door.

der Brucer (who, now that he's got his, is anti-growth!)
No, der B has the word wrong: We're not anti-growth.  We love the growth on both sides of our lot.  We're anti-building, and would love to see both lots stay growth-positive the way they are!

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2004, 01:09:11 PM »

I must do some on-line shopping soon as I am looking for DVDs of a few movies which I need to watch in order to conduct a couple of proposed interviews..more of those colorful 1960s made-in-Florida films...in no particular order:

SCUM OF THE EARTH (1963)

PAGAN ISLAND (1961)

GENTLEMEN PREFER NATURE GIRLS (1962)

ADAM LOST HIS APPLE (1965)

(I know I have just scared the heck out of DR Elmore3003! LOL!)

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2004, 01:10:56 PM »

I too enjoy the end of the world atomic movies...I would add the Japanese film THE LAST WAR to my list, along with the aforementioned DAY THE WORLD ENDED and THIS IS NOT A TEST.

BK, you might enjoy the 1960 paperback book THE DAY THEY H-BOMBED LOS ANGELES...fun old sci-fi book! Reads just like a 1950s B Movie.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2004, 01:13:46 PM »

The chestnuts are roasted and peeled, ready for tonight's transformation into dinner.  I only roasted a dozen, since this was a test case, and only one was a disaster in coming apart.  But der B and I noshed on the disaster's innards, and they were yummilicious!  Definately worth the effort!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2004, 01:15:03 PM »

I believe I have that paperback somewhere in storage.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2004, 01:15:32 PM »

Back from shipping packages at my mail place (they're open on Sundays now, through xmas).

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2004, 01:51:04 PM »

It's another great day of not writing term papers. My brother and I are watching a curling championship on TV.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2004, 01:52:09 PM »

Back from shipping packages at my mail place (they're open on Sundays now, through xmas).

This is interesting news. I've got a couple of packages to post and have been dreading the Post Office...  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »

It costs a couple of buck extra there, but the convenience is worth it at this time of year.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2004, 02:01:03 PM »

Dixie Belle made it through the night in her new home as well as in her own cage, which we call a home.  She yapped and bayed for a while, but when I took Minx on her final walk, and put the shirt that I was wearing into Dixie's home, Dixie settled down and went to sleep.
She's eating well and playing lots -  just as a puppy should.
Anyone who wants to come and play and cuddle is welcome to.
(Now where is TCB when a line like that comes along?)

Well, td, you could always send me one of the shirts you were wearing to keep me calm until I get out there!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up