Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND  (Read 19252 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2004, 02:02:02 PM »

It's not looking good for the American women's curling team. Switzerland is sweeping the floor with us. Get it? Sweeping?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2004, 02:09:47 PM »

I'm on the floor, DR Sandra! ;D

Speaking of watching curling... I've been in my new home environment for almost a month (seems longer) -- and I don't think I've turned on the TV more than three times. Strange... But true. :o
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 02:10:54 PM by Panni »

td

• td
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2004, 02:12:57 PM »

Here she is, world!

Miss Dixie Belle:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v305/minx_the_dog/Dixie%20Bell/

. . .and DR TCB, you know I'd happily give you the shirt off of my back anytime. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2004, 02:24:58 PM »

Here's the kind of sentence that endears a journalist to a celebrity's heart. From today's LA Times - the article is actually from the Chicago Tribune, by Chris Jones. He's talking about Eric Idle, in Vegas for the opening of the Queen musical...
"Idle is friends with Queen's onetime manager. And he's on the rent-a-celebrity list: He gets a free suite in return for trolling the red carpet."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2004, 02:25:33 PM »

I must do some on-line shopping soon as I am looking for DVDs of a few movies which I need to watch in order to conduct a couple of proposed interviews..more of those colorful 1960s made-in-Florida films...in no particular order:

SCUM OF THE EARTH (1963)

PAGAN ISLAND (1961)

GENTLEMEN PREFER NATURE GIRLS (1962)

ADAM LOST HIS APPLE (1965)

(I know I have just scared the heck out of DR Elmore3003! LOL!)

OY!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2004, 02:26:12 PM »

What's the word on Spamalot? (Which is what the Idle article is about.)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2004, 02:29:30 PM »

Ahh, td, I am happy to see Martin Mull posing with the puppy.  What a cutie (and I like the dog, too)!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2004, 02:32:31 PM »

Michael Barnum -- If you are having problems with AOL considering certain senders as spam e=mail, simply add their e-mail address to your Friends Address Book, and that usually solves the problem.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2004, 02:41:03 PM »

Good Afternoon!

-Although, from looks of it outside, it's definitely already evening.

I'm back home between shows.  I've decided to go ahead and head back to Richmond tonight after the show.  I talked to my Mom about my Dad's surgery tomorrow, and all she basically said was that he's going in around 6:30am, and that she's taking the days off.  I also realized the "vibe" I've been picking up from both of my parents is "don't hover".  And I understand that.  I'm that way too at times, since "hovering" seems to imply "doom".  So...  I'll head back to Richmond tonight, get some stuff done in my apartment in the morning, then head back up tomorrow afternoon/evening.  My two brothers who are local, are also just having a "regular day" tomorrow, so I guess I might as well to.

...And I'm always a cell phone call away...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2004, 02:43:02 PM »

Ahh, td, I am happy to see Martin Mull posing with the puppy.  What a cutie (and I like the dog, too)!

I've heard tell that Martin will show up for the opening of an envelope . . . .

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2004, 02:44:16 PM »

The matinee went well.  And you can certainly tell everyone is looking forward to the day off tomorrow after this very long week.

*I will say, as much as I do love what I do, sometimes the whole six-day work week seems "unfair".  But, of course, the trade off is that once we're up and running, yes, we do work six days a week, but we only work eight "shifts" of about two and a half hours each, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2004, 02:45:29 PM »

-Oh, and I heard something really scary on the radio while driving back...

There's only one more weekend left (for shopping) before Christmas!

WOW!?!?!?  Where did the time go?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2004, 02:47:27 PM »

OK... Time for me to get my stuff together and head back to the theatre.  The show is not until 7:30, but since there's a Redskins game tonight, the inbound traffic will most likely be a little crazy.  -It was actually already starting to build up when I was heading out of the city...

-Until Richmond...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2004, 02:48:07 PM »

It's another great day of not writing term papers. My brother and I are watching a curling championship on TV.
Chocolate curls?  Sounds delish!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2004, 02:48:19 PM »

BK, I was listening to the commentary to GOLDILOCKS AND THE 3 BARES (1963)...the producer David Freidman was talking about how it was the first "nudie" musical..(the film is about a singer whose girlfriend keeps going away for the weekends...he finds out she is going to a (gasp) nudist camp...so he follows her there). Anyhow, on this commentary  the producer starts talking about your film THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2004, 02:53:21 PM »

Chocolate curls?  Sounds delish!

;D

Chocolate is the one thing that can make this sport any better.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2004, 02:54:56 PM »

Schwartz did such wonderful work in the 70's: Godpsell, Pippin, The Baker's Wife, The Magic Show, Working (a score by many writers - I'm just commenting on the SS numbers here)

Comparing his recent work: Wicked, Jepetto, The Prince of Egypt. Children of Eden
I see a distinct drop in quality.  I've played through many, but not all, of the songs from Children of Eden.  I've no doubt that the show has yet to play New York because it is of insufficient quality.
Noel, dissing Children of Eden because it hasn't played NY (by which I assume you mean Broadway) due to poor quality doesn't work, not when you praise The Baker's Wife, a show that didn't come in to New York City because of it's poor quality.

Let's not twist my words, OK?  I didn't diss Children of Eden because it hasn't played New York.  I dissed Children of Eden because it's bad.

Those Powers-That-Be that decide what musicals get produced in New York apparently agree with me; the show has never played here.  I'm well aware the show is pretty popular in regional and community theatres.

I saw The Baker's Wife many years ago at the York when it was on Fifth Avenue.  A lot of the songs are of very high quality, and I'll cite one example.  The baker's wife has been gone a while, and the town is worried he's going to be too upset to bake well.  As an audience, we expect the baker to express his misery.  Instead, we're surprised by a jaunty drinking song, Any Day Now Day, in which he expresses complete confidence that she'll return.  It's a marvelous moment.

In stark contrast, we have lovers who are due to be torn asunder by what the insurance companies refer to as "an act of God."  We expect them to declare that they'll make the best of the remaining time by loving each other in an antemic noble ballad.  And that's exactly what we get.  There's no surprise.  There's actually nothing much to listen to - "In whatever time we have, for as long as we are living" - and we might as well tune the thing out, because every line is exactly what we expect.

Perhaps it's the need to surprise an audience, to go beyond their expectations, that Schwartz lost sight of in the many years between his works composed for the stage.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 03:01:48 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

td

• td
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2004, 03:00:28 PM »

I, for one (especially knowing Maguire's book quite well), never expected Galinda to help Elphaba become "Popular."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2004, 03:09:14 PM »

Well, B&N was jumping today, but the customers were sullen, rude, unfriendly, dour.  I did my utmost to be scintillating, but it's a lot of work when the audience is fighting the material!

Now, I'm off for margaritas and Mexican food with my Library of Congress friends who are in town for tomorrow's Ned Rorem birthday festivities.  I'll post later if I'm able.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2004, 03:09:39 PM »

Yes indeed: This is probably why Popular is one of the most effective parts of Wicked's first act.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2004, 03:10:37 PM »

On a very serious topic - I'm out of Cheerios.
As I live on Cheerios, this is NOT good. So I must make my way to the Supermarket and pick up a few things. Including said Cheerios.

DR Jose - I think that deciding to be around but not "hover" was an excellent choice.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2004, 03:17:35 PM »

That IS serious, Panni. While you're at the grocery store, don't forget the Cherry Coke and licorice.

We are now watching A Charlie Brown Christmas. This is quality programming.

Danise

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2004, 03:22:23 PM »

DR Jose, I just want to say that you are a very good son.

Would you believe we are going to be in the thirtys on Wednesday?

Don't feel bad, Panni, I just came home from an emergency trip to Walmart.  The horror of it all!  We were out of --gasp--DOG treats!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2004, 03:32:18 PM »

A Reader with real priorities.  Good to hear Danise.

Of course our two are no longer allowed treats - but their expectations remain. A ride in the car is now the treat!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2004, 03:33:32 PM »

Ah, the aromas of Christmas:  Spic 'N' Span, Windex and Lemon Pledge.

I've spent the entire day scrubbing up the home from top to bottom and back to the top again and, boy, are my hands clean!  I have the cleanest fingernails in Philly!

I'm taking a bit of a break (eating a dinner of leftover pizza) before putting up my own tree.  The tree is artificial and short and takes no time to put up.  What takes forever is unboxing my collection of about two hundred Hallmark ornaments, hooking them and hanging them on the tree.  A lot of work, but I don't care--I love it.  I am a Christmas Fairy.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 03:34:01 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2004, 03:38:05 PM »

We are now watching A Charlie Brown Christmas. This is quality programming.

What a coinkydink--I'm just about to watch ACBC myself.  After that will either be The Hard Nut or Miracle on 34th Street.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2004, 03:45:31 PM »

Ya know, I wasn't frightened so much last night by the huge tubs of sour cream on BK's partay host's table as I was curious about why there was a pump bottle of Vaseline hand cream present.  Is there some Hanukkah tradition that I'm not aware of?
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2004, 03:48:15 PM »

On the subject of Atomic war movies--I'm not a fan.  I spent half the 80s having nuclear nightmares, so it's not a genre I'm fond of.  I have never once seen movies such as Testement or The Day After.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2004, 03:53:47 PM »

Let's not twist my words, OK?  I didn't diss Children of Eden because it hasn't played New York.  I dissed Children of Eden because it's bad.
Interesting comment from someone who has not only not seen the show but has, by his own admission earlier, not finished playing through the score.

Those Powers-That-Be that decide what musicals get produced in New York apparently agree with me; the show has never played here.  I'm well aware the show is pretty popular in regional and community theatres.
Which fairly well explains the problem here.  The show is not "bad," it simply isn't suited for New York City (aka Broadway).  If it was actually "bad," it would not be popular in regional or community theaters.  Those outside of NYC no longer need the "Powers-That-Be" to tell them what is and isn't good.

I saw The Baker's Wife many years ago at the York when it was on Fifth Avenue.  A lot of the songs are of very high quality, and I'll cite one example.  The baker's wife has been gone a while, and the town is worried he's going to be too upset to bake well.  As an audience, we expect the baker to express his misery.  Instead, we're surprised by a jaunty drinking song, Any Day Now Day, in which he expresses complete confidence that she'll return.  It's a marvelous moment.
A marvelous moment does not a good show make.  And no, I would not at that moment expect him to express his misery; I would expect him to lie to himself and everyone around him about her immenent return.  That's simply good storytelling, and obvious.  His misery (and the truth) comes later, when he simply cannot bake.

In stark contrast, we have lovers who are due to be torn asunder by what the insurance companies refer to as "an act of God."  We expect them to declare that they'll make the best of the remaining time by loving each other in an antemic noble ballad.  And that's exactly what we get.  There's no surprise.  There's actually nothing much to listen to - "In whatever time we have, for as long as we are living" - and we might as well tune the thing out, because every line is exactly what we expect.
And in writing this "expectable" song, Schwartz has pulled out of his writing hat a song that has become popular at weddings.  As SMS himself notes in the liner notes of BK's The Stephen Schwartz Album.

Perhaps it's the need to surprise an audience, to go beyond their expectations, that Schwartz lost sight of in the many years between his works composed for the stage.
But there IS unexpectedness in Children of Eden.  The entire premise, that God himself learns from his children, is unexpected.  The duet, "The Hardest Part of Love," is both the logical conclusion to this conflict and unexpected, as one father's experiences mirror another's.  CoE is a very gratifying theater experience.

I see no evidence that Schwartz has "lost sight" of what it takes to write a good show.  Between the two examples cited here, CoE has a life in theaters, while Baker's Wife is for the most part forgotten.  CoE followed BW.  (And I can't help suspecting a prejudice against CoE on your part, due to your several earlier posts on how CoE shouldn't have been written because it used the same source materials as The Apple Tree and Two By Two.)  

For further evidence of how SMS has not lost sight of how to write good individual songs, I refer you to his solo albums, Reluctant Pilgrim and Uncharted Territory.  "Life Goes On," from the former disc, is one of the best songs of the last ten years to deal with death, loss, and inferentially AIDS.  "Crowded Island" and "Ten-Day Heartbreak" are just plain funny.  "So Far" tells the truth of long-term loves, reminding me of Jane and Keith as well as myself and der B.  "Prestidigitation" is a marvel of short-storytelling in a song.  And "Snapshots" is downright haunting, an invocation of the ghosts with which we ourselves.  That's five great songs, right there, on one album!

(I'd pile on examples from Uncharted Territory, but my copy has locked itself in the disc drive of out laptop, refusing to budge or play, making references hard to compile.  Drat.)

I see no evidence supporting your claims against Schwartz' current talents.  But that's horseracing.

(Incidental note: In the published Piano/Vocal Selections for Wicked, Schwartz notes:

I chose to try to make the songs work for this medium and thus to make changes in certain cases from the way they appear in the stage show and on the cast album...In special circumstances, when someone needs a song in the original show format, that can be obtained by emailing me at schwartz@stephenschwartz.com .

I can't help but be impressed with a composer who goes this extra mile for people interested in his work.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2004, 03:59:41 PM »

I don't normally say this, but WHERE IS EVERYONE? We had record breaking days and now we haven't reached 100 postings by 7:00pm! on the east coast of the US of A
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 04:00:20 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up