Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GOOD GNUS  (Read 21029 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GOOD GNUS
« on: June 03, 2004, 12:00:47 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know everything that I know, but I won't know everything that you know until you post until the cows come home.  Ready, set - go!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 12:00:35 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:GOOD GNUS
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 12:06:18 AM »

Good Morning!

Sorry, I've been having internet connection issues tonight, or I would have posted earlier/yesterday.

I still have to catch up on yesterday's notes, but I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure to meet DRs DerBrucer and SWW earlier tonight.  And the "jade" roses are simply beautiful.

Once I'm caught up, I'll more details.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 12:27:38 AM »

Well, I have bad gnus.  Blind Cully was sinking very fast over memorial day weekend.  He had lost his appetite (The Lovely Wife Julieanne was feeding him baby food through a squeeze bottle), was wobbly on his feet, he had five seizures (indicative of liver failure), and slept most of the time.  Tuesday evening, after very loving care and attention from his ma, The Lovely Wife Julieanne, our vet came to the house to put him down.  We did this so we could create an proper environment...Candles, soft music, lots of love...and also for the the benefit of Mosby the Grey Ghost, the cat who Cully mothered and raised from a wee sprig of a twig.  It is always good for the other animals to be able to see and sniff the deceased animal...so they don't wonder where it went.  The cat has been very sensitive to Cully all weekend.

Cully's passing was painless and gentle.  After the Vet  left, we toasted Cully and drank champagne to mark his passing.  And were in general despair the remainder of the evening.  This is the first time since 76', that I've been without a dog.  

This morning we took his body to a Pet Crematorium and came home with his ashes.  We spent time in Pasadena to divert ourselves and our grief (though The Lovely Wife breaks into sobs periodically) and then came home to be with Mosby, the now lone pet in our house.

We're coping...but missing Cully...

And how was your weekend?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 11:30:11 AM by Charles Pogue »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 12:38:40 AM »

DR Charles, I am saddened that you had to say goodbye to Cully.  You managed it well, for him, for Mosby, for your lovely wife and for yourself.  May your next few days be peaceful.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 12:56:17 AM »

Der Brucer and I did get to DC; the traffic was light, the subway was on time, and we had no trouble finding a restaurant that DR Jose had suggested, the Bistro d'Oc, which is right across the street from Ford's Theater.  The Pre-Theater Prix Fixe meal was quite good, and certainly couldn't have been priced better, at $19.95.  Der Brucer started with the pate, which was very ducky and very meaty, the way he likes these things.  I chose the onion soup, which was very beefy and oniony and cheesey and just the way I like onion soup.  He followed with the salmon, served with a Hollandaise that never broke.  I followed with the pork roast, with a very good mustard sauce.  We discovered the real reason for having bread on the table: sopping up every last morsel and dollop with the bread means less work for the dishwashers.  I think he had a peach clafoutis for dessert; I had the creme caremel (which is French for flan).  The end result was that der Brucer declared that we now know where to dine in DC, next time we're in town.

Getting to the theater, which was right across the street, was more problematic than that would suggest.  The entire street has been torn up, according to Jose for the third time during the show's run.  We trudged down to the corner, and across, and then back up.  Most of the night's audience was made up of students, middle school I think.  One girl was amazed to realize where she was, at the place where "it happened!"  "What happened," another girl asked.  "This is where he was shot!  You know, Lincoln!"  Sometimes, appreciation comes suddenly like that.

The show, Children of Eden, was quite good.  It has it's weak moments, but for the most part the score and script are strong.  The cast was in very good voice, from the leads through the chorus (and there is a LOT of choral work).  Sets and lighting, while spare, contributed a lot, as did the pit.  There were some sound problems, however, the actor playing "Father" being overmiked at first, that sort of thing.  Still, we were highly impressed.

After, we went with Jose and his green roses to Jaleo, a tapas restaurant, for another round of desserts.  We did not laugh and laugh; we chortled, chuckled, shared a fun conversation, took a few pictures, and enjoyed each other's company.  Then, too soon, it was time to head on home again.

We've got to get Jose up to Rehoboth.  That's all there is to it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 12:56:20 AM »

Our thoughts are with you from us here in Oz at this time DR Charles.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 01:05:52 AM »

We hereby officially dedicate today at haineshisway.com to the memory of Cully.  

Jed

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 02:03:27 AM »

Children of Eden... (and there is a LOT of choral work)

Yes, yes there is!!!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Danise

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 03:37:30 AM »

Here, here!  

My most sincere condolances on your loss, DR Charles Pouge and lovely wife, Julieanne.  I had tears in my eyes as I read your post.  You did the best that could be done and I'm sure that if there is a Heaven, Cully is there now waiting to greet you both with a bark and tail wag.

Be gentle with yourselfs until you grief is softened.

Have a good day all.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 05:19:38 AM »

Charles,

Thank you for introducing us to Cully and for sharing his life with us.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 05:44:37 AM »

DR Charles, I'm so sorry to hear about Cully's passing, but it was good to hear how you and your wife helped to make his transition a peaceful one.  And as Danise has just said, please take care of yourselves and each other and of Mosby while you grieve.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 06:01:16 AM »

Good vibes to DR Charles Pogue and his wife. ~~~~~~~~~~

Your story was very touching.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 06:03:06 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 06:05:52 AM »

DR Jason: The $125 for dippin dots was not to deliver to Canada.  That was just the regular price listed.

td

• td
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 06:07:57 AM »

. . .and we dog owners (or those of us owned BY dogs) know just how many memories there can be.  Treasure them as much as Cully was treasured.

Minx and I are sending our best vibes.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 06:12:09 AM »

We saw Hairspray yesterday. This is a Canadian production, and it's an open-ended run. Jack O'Brien and Jerry Mitchell came up to do the direction and choreography. The show received excellent reviews, and I have no doubt that the production values match those of the New York version.

The show is as enjoyable as expected. Loud, but enjoyable. There are some knockout performances - notably Edna, Wilbur, Link, Motormouth Maybelle, and Penny Pingleton.

In fact, with one exception, the cast could not have been stronger. Jay Brazeau as Edna, Michael Torontow as Link, Paul McQuillan as Corny, Tara Macri as Amber, Jennifer Stewart as Penny, Charlotte Moore as Prudy Pingleton, and Tom Rooney as Wilbur all have strong credentials in Canadian theatre - Stratford, Shaw Festival, and Toronto and regional productions. Even 11-year-old Shennel Campbell as Little Inez has a good theatrical background - Lion King, plus Christmas plays at school and church.

But the exception, unfortunately, is the star - Vanessa Olivarez as Tracy. From the playbill: "Vanessa is thrilled to be making her Canadian theatre debut with such a brilliant and talented cast! You may have seen her in the 2003 season of American Idol, where she was voted in as one of the final 12 contestants." She worked hard and belted her songs, and even though zaftig she ain't, she was nicely padded. But her dancing was weak - she bounced her way through the show. Quite simply, against the other performers, she seemed out of her element.

We've talked about this before at HHW - paying one's dues before being parachuted into a star turn, and how obvious it can be when that hasn't happened.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 06:17:07 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 06:24:51 AM »

My Tony prediction is that since it is on at the same time as the final "Sopranos" for the season and some big basketball game (how about that) it will be the lowest rated Tony show in years.  And with many presenters having little or no connection with Broadway it will be worth watching only for the numbers from the nominated shows and to find out who won.  Mary J. Blige singing "What I Did For Love"?  Who the $%@# is she and what is she doing on the Tony show?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 06:34:10 AM »

My thoughts are with you and yours, DR Pogue.

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 06:42:05 AM »

Sad to read of Cully's passing, but nice to see that he was dent to his rest peacefully and with lots of love around him. I'm sure you'll meet him again one day. Good wishes from OZ too.
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 07:01:40 AM »

Holly the zaftig Shar-pei and I send our best thoughts to DR CP and Julieanne and Mosby.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 07:17:35 AM »

DR Charles Pogue, I am so sorry about Cully! Freddy's and my sympathies and thoughts are with you all.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 07:25:38 AM »

Whilst driving across the barren stretches of southern Delaware in the wee small hours of the morning, the car radio (searching, no doubt, for reasons to "Blame Cananda" ) tuned in to a food show featuring an interview with the owner of "Lisbon by Night" detailing the vagaries of regional  Portuguese  cuisine.

Needless to say, my thoughts turned to Dan (I wonder if he gets Delaware Radio stations).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 07:33:12 AM »

Mary J. Blige singing "What I Did For Love"?  Who the $%@# is she and what is she doing on the Tony show?

Here she is:

And here are some extracts from her Official Website:

Nobody tells it like Mary. With a voice that is rough and ready, sweet and pure, Mary J. Blige is capable of conveying heartache and happiness in a single musical phrase. A confessional singer, her emotional honesty reflects the great traditions of blues and soul with a ripped-from-the-pages-of-your-diary immediacy that has won her countless honors and a devoted, ever-growing audience around the world.

Over the course of twelve years, five studio albums and one live collection,
Mary J Blige never fails to deliver potent R&B/hip hop mantras that work on the head, heart and hips. More than a vocalist, she is an accomplished recording artist known for her electrifying live performances, dramatic videos, and innovative studio productions with a who's-who and who's-hot of musical talents from Elton John to Eve.

Ushering in the 21st century Mary released the triple-platinum No More
Drama in 2001. "I always thought my fans
were just inner city but people from all over the world and of every color
responded to that record. I gave a lot of myself not knowing it was gonna
reach so many people." She has also reached them in other arenas, as a
budding actress on TV (Strong Mediciine) and in the independent film “Prison
Song” (co-starring with rapper Q-Tip) as well as in her humanitarian efforts.

In addition to filming anti-drug public service announcements, Mary has
worked with various education groups and received Rock The Vote's highest
honor, the Patrick Lippert Award. She is a tireless fundraiser for people
with AIDS and continues as the spokeswoman for MAC’s Viva Glam IV with all
proceeds from the lipstick earmarked to AIDS education and research.

Whether pouring her heart out in a recording booth or on a concert stage or privately learning how to love herself and help others, Mary J. Blige has discovered something powerful. The music that she makes, the songs that have brought so much joy and solace to so many, have also been her own salvation.

DR WEL bemoans the lack of viewer attention to the Tony Telecast - perhaps by show-casing musical stars from other arenas, Tony can introduce a wider audience to the wonders of Broadway.

der Brucer (who is looking forward to her performance)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 07:41:52 AM »

Saying it with Flowers

Jose should be proud to be associated with such a marvelous production as the Ford's Theatre's production of "Children of Eden".

I was particularly inspired by the large number of potentially restless youngsters in the audience who sat riveted in their seats for a 90 minute first act.

The ultimate salvation of the American Musical lies with regional theatres, like Ford's, producing world-class productions of shows that lure our younsters into the magical world of Musical Theatre.

Perhaps "Children of Eden" is not great, muscially, but it is riveting theatre - and that is where is all begins.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2004, 07:47:59 AM »

Pondering great philospohical issues on long, lonely evening drives:

S Woody White - posing his question:

"WHAT DO YOU FEED A "LIVING BRA' ?"
[/b][/i]

Your bewildered correspondent, pondering an answer:

der Brucer (it's moments like these that cement a relationship!)

Jason

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 07:54:01 AM »

DR Charles Pogue: I'm sorry to hear about your Cully.

"And with many presenters having little or no connection with Broadway it will be worth watching only for the numbers from the nominated shows and to find out who won." That's sort of the point.

My predictions:

Actor in a Musical: Hugh Jackman
Actress in a Musical: Tonya Pinkins
Featured Actor in a Musical: Michael Cerveris
Featured Actress in a Musical: Isabel Keating
Best Musical: WICKED, though AVENUE Q may win
Best Revival: ASSASSINS
Best Score: WICKED
Best Book of a Musical: WICKED
Scenic Design: WICKED
Costume Design: WICKED
Lighting: WICKED
Director of a Musical: Joe Mantello
Actor in a Play: Jefferson Mays
Actress in a Play: Phylicia Rashad
Featured Actor in a Play: Brian F. O'Bryne
Featured Actress in a Play: Audra McDonald
Revival of a Play: RAISIN IN THE SUN
Best Play: I AM MY OWN WIFE
Director of a Play: Moises Kauffman
Choreography: Kathleen Marshall
Orchestrations: WICKED

I think they need to start a Best Ensemble category. It only seems fair. The cast of AVENUE Q would win it hands-down.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2004, 07:54:55 AM »

FS Pogue and lovely wife Julieanne -  Cully passed surrounded by love and caring -- as he had been throughout his life. I send my condolences, as does Abie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2004, 07:55:15 AM »

Great pictures - thank you DB and SWW and DRJOSE looks stunning with roses in his hand!

As for Mary J Blige - triple platinum?  Who is buying this stuff?  Or I guess the question is - how are they promoting this stuff?  She must be reaching someone.  But I will repeat, what is she doing on the Tony broadcast?

I am still pondering my choices - they will all be blind choices, except for those I have heard on CD.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2004, 07:55:25 AM »

Good Morning!

As for the Tonys being up against a basketball game and "The Sopranos" (and "Queer As Folk" for that matter)... It's not the first time this has happened, so...  Yes, there are people who are both sports and theatre fans, but I think the sports fans don't really affect the Tony ratings - at least in the actual number of people watching.  -But when it comes to percentages and shares...  "The Sopranos", however, are a different story.  -And didn't they make some jokes about the situation two or three years ago - even acknowledging on the air (can't remember who it was - maybe Edie Falco?) that they were competing against themselves and/or that a lot of people were flipping channels.

OK - I need to finish waking up...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2004, 07:56:57 AM »

I will go with Jason's choices - giving WICKED the edge as best musical, but will go with Idina as Best Actress in a Musical.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2004, 08:01:41 AM »

Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time, Charles and Julieanne.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up