Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EXTRA WHIPPED CREAM  (Read 21661 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:EXTRA WHIPPED CREAM
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2004, 09:32:47 AM »

Must now REALLY concentrate on me work. Laters.
(Oh - don't remember the chronology - either OLIVER or STOP THE WORLD as first non-American musicals. On the other hand, my first seven years of musicals were non-American because I wasn't living here. Although as a very young kid I saw operas and operettas in Hungary -- not musicals. On the other other hand i didn't really live in the US until 1989. On the other other other hand, I must get to work.)

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2004, 09:37:40 AM »

Happy Birthday DP (Dear Pet) Abie!

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2004, 09:39:12 AM »

JRand53, I hope that cactus info was just a joke, otherwise I think I will be sick! And I will definitely NEVER buy a cactus as long as I live!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2004, 09:48:57 AM »

No DRMBARNUM....it was a true story!  If you have a new cactus in your home that begins acting thusly....take action.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2004, 09:49:39 AM »

Lovely photos DRPANNI - I can't help you reduce them....not being at home and all.....but they are a page away now in any case.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2004, 09:49:56 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - do you live near any of the Frank Lloyd Wright or son Lloyd Wright homes in LA or do you drive by them?  And do you have a favorite?  

One of my faves is the Sowden House on Franklin Avenue.  It was designed by Mr. Wright the Younger.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2004, 09:51:46 AM »

Dear BK (and other DRs):

Continuing on a theme brought up yesterday...

What was the first non-American musical you remember seeing (in otherwords, the first import, produced on shores other than American, not the first anti-, because that's an entirely different subject)...

And what do you remember most about it?

I saw The Phantom of the Opera, and not only was it originally produced on shores other than American, I saw it on shores other than American.  Actually, I saw it in Vancouver, British Columbia.  What I remember most about it was, while I was sitting there watching it, I realized that if I were ever to see this in New York or London or Seattle or even Japan, that I would see the exact same sets, the exact same staging, the exact same costumes, pretty much the same interpretations as what I was seeing at that moment...and I figured that I would never have to see it again.  Even though I did see Les Misérables twice in Seattle, I realized this when I was watching POTO.  That's what I remember most about the experience.  ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2004, 09:59:12 AM »

Good Morning!

Sorry for not posting post-rehearsal last night.  I did start reading the day's posts, but then I took a "Daily Show" break, and then... I found myself hitting the snooze button on my travel alarm at 8:30 this morning.

Tech was a breeze yesterday.  Thank you, BK, - and Tammy - for pre-teching the show on Monday.  The last time I was with a show that pre-teched, it was SWEENEY TODD at the Kennedy Center.  All the shows that summer had to be pre-teched in order to make sure that the shows opened on time.  And, at least for SWEENEY, I ended up being called in to play for the pre-tech in order to help them with some of the timing of the music-related cues - which was almost all of them in that show.  We started at 10:00AM, we ended at Midnight - and we still didn't get through the whole show.  Of course, since it was a tech, I think I only ended up playing about an hours worth total over that span of time.  But I did get some reading done, and it was fascinating watching all the various tech departments coming together at the same time.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2004, 10:05:53 AM »

I would say THE BOY FRIEND was probably the first non-American musical I saw in a summer stock tour when I was just barely a teen-ager.

I forgot about The Boy Friend.  I was actually in a produdction and played Lord Brockhurst...so I guess that doesn't count as "seeing."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2004, 10:09:31 AM »

I don't live near any Frank Lloyd Wright houses, but dear reader Charles definitely does.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2004, 10:10:33 AM »

As for first non-American musical I ever saw.. Hmm.. I'll have to think about that one.

I do know that it took me a couple of years to finally get enough real interest into seeing ALW's Phantom of the Opera live on stage.  And I waited to see it in NYC rather than on the road.  I did buy the two record(!) set when it originally came out, and listened to it many times - some of the more complex harmonies and time signatures caught my mind's ear.  (But then after listening to a few more ALW shows, I realized that those were part of his arsenal.)

But I'm really not sure what my first non-American musical was... Hmm.. I'll have to think about it as the day goes by...

OH!  Now that I have thought about it for a few... I'm guessing it was Cats.  The "Skimbleshanks" number still occasionally gets caught in my head because of the odd meter. 10/8, 11/8, 13/8 - I can't seem to remember right now - and my fingers won't tap it out properly - brain is still waking up.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2004, 10:13:26 AM »

Hey DR Emily, I finally saw a commercial for Amish in The City.  It will be on Global TV, starting this Sunday at 10pm.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2004, 10:15:14 AM »

I know I saw Cats, then Phantom, then Les Mis (I think in that order).

William E. Lurie

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2004, 10:16:59 AM »

By the way, my first "foreign" show was IRMA LA DOUCE.  I would love to see it revived today.  One of the big mysteries of movie-making is why all the songs were cut from the film except one snippett of "Dis Donc".  (The same could be asked of "Fanny").
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2004, 10:38:17 AM »

I hang my head in shame, DRs. It turns out that I had the date wrong. Abie's birthday is on August 14th NOT the 4th. :P

Panni

« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2004, 10:47:13 AM »

This is very very very (that's there very's) funny.

http://whitehousewest.com/

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2004, 11:03:15 AM »

DR DtM - i love urban legends like that!!!  Spiders in the hair....yuck.

Read all about it here:Amazon

der de-bunking Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2004, 11:06:51 AM »

Read all about the cactus legend here:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/cactus.htm

If you go to this page
http://www.snopes.com/photos/maggots.asp
you can see a picture of a man whose brain is infested with maggots.  I won't post the picture here because it is just a little too disturbing to post without warning.  Evidently it's a real picture, too.  Ew.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2004, 11:08:28 AM »

Der Brucer, I am so with you on the de-bunking thing.  I love to de-bunk a good legend or e-mail.  Those "I heard from someone who works in the FBI that her brother's fiancee's sister-in-law used to date an arab guy and he told her not to go to the mall on Halloween because the terrorists are planning to attack" e-mails really piss me off.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2004, 11:14:59 AM »

No DRMBARNUM....it was a true story!  If you have a new cactus in your home that begins acting thusly....take action.  

Jack Randal - get your hand off of Michael's leg (meaning: stop pulling it, the leg)!

The story around the legend is even more interesting than the legend itself:

Extracts from Snopes' Urban Legends:

Legend:   A cactus explodes and spews baby tarantulas everywhere

[Collected on the Internet, 1997]
My cousin claims that she knew a women, through a close friend, who had been vacationing in Arizona. She decided to dig up a cactus to take home with her. When she arrived home she potted her new cactus and placed it in her living room. She was admiring it one morning only to find that the cactus was "breathing". Puzzled, the women called the local branch of the Dept of Agriculture in her area. She was told to shut all windows and doors and get out of the house immediately. It turns out the cactus had baby tarantulas inside and burst open just a few moments after the women escaped unharmed.

Variations:

The plant is a cactus or a yucca, and it begins to shake, whine, or hum.

In rare versions, scorpions are said to come spewing out of the plant.

Sometimes the authorities manage to contain the damage, either by  destroying the cactus before it explodes, or by dragging it out of the house before it lets loose. In other versions the plant owner escapes her home just in the nick of time; as she clears the front door, the cactus goes kaboom. Occasionally, the cactus lets loose its horde of creepies in the dead of night. In one particularly chilling version, newlyweds awaken to find thousands of baby tarantulas crawling on their faces. Though they survive the incident, the wife has to have her lips amputated because of the number of bites on her mouth and can never kiss again.
Origins:   Legends about spiders nesting in cactuses or yuccas imported from Central America surfaced in Scandinavia and Great Britain in the early 1970s.

In 1985 an outbreak of "Spider in the Yucca" lore featured a plant supposedly bought from Marks & Spencer, a leading British department store.

Though at times this story has slipped past the watchdogs of the mainstream media and been reported as a news story, it's never been true. There has never been a spider-spewing exploding cactus, and there never will be. You see, the tale is impossible.

You can go to the site for the lengthy explanation about "why" it is impossible.

der Brucer (desparately trying to protect poor Barnum's nerves)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2004, 11:17:58 AM »

Read all about the cactus legend here:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/cactus.htm

Zounds - beat to the punch! That'll teach me to spend 10 minutes prettying-up a post!

der second-string debunker Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2004, 11:21:11 AM »

My first "Broadway" musicals were actually West End shows.  I didn't see New York until after I graduated from college, but while I was a sophomore in college my mom took me to London.  We saw Sunset Boulevard WITH Patti LuPone, thank you very much; Les Miserables; Crazy for You; Blood Brothers; and Miss Saigon.  Also, in high school I saw POTO at the Kennedy Center.  

I trust you have shared your appreciation of these "Euro-masterworks" with DH. ;D

der trouble-making Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2004, 11:22:48 AM »

Ah, GREAT!

Next you'll be telling us there's no Easter Bunny or Santa Claus!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2004, 11:29:32 AM »

As for us musical theatre campers, at some point in the week we went skinny-dipping, and the moment that DH Noel dropped trou and jumped into the pool was the moment I knew he was the man for me.

This surely is a moment to preserved for posterity!
There must be music by a new voice of the American Musical (with only two names) - there must be Fosse-esque choreography - there must be a CD:

"Our Skinny Dip - or why I Love My Husband - The Musical".

Squeaky-clean fun for adventurous theatre goers.

der "Now-I'm-in-Trouble" Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2004, 11:29:36 AM »

Oh i'm glad that story about the cactus isn't true. That totally grossed me out.

Btw, in the paper today there is an article about grilling fruits.  It says peaches are really good to try.  Now I must do this.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2004, 11:33:19 AM »

Oh my, but my friend Sandi always told me the truth.....I thought....although it was tarantulas now that you mention it.  DRJOY I clicked on the first link, but not the second.  Your description was enough for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2004, 11:34:02 AM »

Ah, GREAT!

Next you'll be telling us there's no Easter Bunny or Santa Claus!!!

NEVER! One must never kill the goose that lays the Golden Eggs.

Clap if you believe in The Tooth Fairy!

der Brucer (who understands that the new Dollar Coin was introduced at the urging of young parents attempting to keep up with inflation - a lousy quarter/tooth just doesn't hack in the 21st Century)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2004, 11:34:44 AM »

But what about the Easter Santa Bunny?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2004, 11:39:28 AM »

Der Brucer, I am so with you on the de-bunking thing.  I love to de-bunk a good legend or e-mail.  

Debunking the legends can be fun; however, spending many too many hours squashing the eternal string of frantic Email messages from "good friends" spreading the latest Virus Hoax warning is indeed a toil and a tribulation (thank you Tim Rice).

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2004, 11:41:33 AM »

But what about the Easter Santa Bunny?

Do you sit on any lap offered at the local Mall? 8)

der Brucer (are Easter Bunnies related to Easter Seals?)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up