Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BORING NOTES  (Read 13957 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE BORING NOTES
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2009, 01:52:55 PM »

Next, I watched an episode of NCIS from the Season Two box set. I was way ahead of them in terms of the killer's identity. I didn't have the motive right, but still got a kick out of getting in early on the solution.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »

Page Four Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching MONSIGNOR which I had recorded off the Fox Movie Channel. Christopher Reeve was at the height of his attractiveness in this movie. I wish the movie were more interesting. Hadn't seen it since it first came out and wanted to see if my opinion of it had changed any since I first saw it. It hadn't.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »

I know one thing I'm going to watch tonight is QUANTUM OF SOLACE. Or I should say rewatch since I watched it within a few days of getting it. But I have almost no memory of it at all, so I want to see it again to remember what it was about.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2009, 01:56:28 PM »

I have another movie I recentlyt received and haven't seen for about 40 years. That'll likely be first on tonight's roster. Haven't decided on a third movie yet. We'll see.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2009, 02:11:26 PM »

Heading down now to get a head's start on the evening viewing.

WBBL.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »

I must now watch a motion picture on DVD - not for pleasure, but for work as regards the next Kritzerland soundtrack release.  The LP version of this film soundtrack had most of the tracks in an order completely unrelated to how the music is in the film - sometimes that's fine, but in this case it doesn't make for a good listening experience.  For example, the film's musical prologue is first on the LP - the main titles that should follow that track are, in fact, the last cut on side two of the LP.  That's just ridiculous.  So, I'm making note of the film order and if it plays better that way, I'm changing the track order - if not, I'll leave it as is, save for moving the main title back where it belongs.

BK

Can You Give Us a small hint about the Soundtrack?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2009, 02:16:28 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... Just checking in before I have to head to theatre for tonight's performance.

I had originally just planned to spend one or two hours today in downtown Charleston.  I ended up walking around for about six hours instead.  A truly gorgeous day.  And now...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2009, 02:23:41 PM »

And just to prove that JR and I aren't the only ones, Frances herself is mentioned in NEXT TO NORMAL.  So there.

Isn't she, also, in the new Bobby Driscoll musical?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »

At the office yesterday after luch, I began feeling the oncome of a sore throat.  By the time I got home it was worse and then by late evening I had a fever.  When I woke up this morning my throat felt like I had swallowed glass shards and I've just felt overall crappy the whole day.  I just woke up from a nap and I feel a little bit better. 

It sucks because it is such a beautiful day out and I had planned to do some cleaning in the back yard. 

Indeed.  We are having a drop-dead gorgeous day, as Ben indicated above, and Joe had planned on washing the cars and/or mowing the lawn.  He got up at 7:300, did two loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and then got zapped by his disease:  equilibrium loss, fuzzy vision, dizziness, all the usual things that happen when the weather changes from good to bad or from bad to good.  He is down for the count, probably for the rest of the day.

At least we have fans in all the windows to air out the house.

~~~~~~  Throat Vibes ~~~~~~
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2009, 02:48:54 PM »

Found a very nice (some would say, ugly) vinyl recliner from the 1960s at the estate sale. This will be my new TV watching chair.

It needed some cleaning and one day I may have it reupholstered in turquoise vinyl.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:50:31 PM by MBarnum »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2009, 02:57:40 PM »

vixmom just called me.  She is out of the hospital.  The doctors wanted her to get some fresh air and start walking, so vixdad took her to Sunken Meadow Park, and she walked on the boardwalk a while with her walker, came home and called me, and is going to lie down for a while.  They want her to stay home from work for two weeks but try to get some walking in.  It's not the walking that hurts, she said, but the getting up and down.  btw the gall bladder problem was entirely unrelated to the chemo.

Since Joe has been doing his doctor-ordered walking in the same park--although he hasn't been there yet this year--he offered to drive her there during the week. They can both take out their walkers and do a production of The Producers.

Thank you William.
You make me laugh through my tears!

DITTO!

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »

After looking around a few thrift stores I headed over to the Indian restaurant on the north side. I was hitting on chatting with one of the Punjabi guys who works there and inquired as to whether he knew Hindi and/or Urdu as I had some vintage Bollywood movie booklets I wanted him to decipher for me (sort like coming over to see my etchings   8)  ).

Just as I had Vikram in the palm of my hand (figuratively speaking) in walked an older Indian woman. Vikram new her and a let me know that she would likely be a good one to have do the translating, and he offered to go and speak to her for me. She was meeting a group of friends for lunch so of course I didn't want to bother her.

Vikram insisted, telling me that she loves old Bollywood movies and she is a professor at the college.

Looks like I will be going to memsaab Kantal's house for dinner and translation later on this week.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:02:47 PM by MBarnum »

Jane

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2009, 03:02:11 PM »

DR Dan (the Man) there seems to be a lot that going around.  Feel better soon!

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »

Kantal is actually quite a fascinating lady and I know I will enjoy getting to know her. She is working on her second novel, which depicts the pllight of widows after the Partition in India in 1947.

Kantal was actually witness to that historic and tragic moment and she lost much of her family during it. She was only ten years old at the time.

Jane

« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2009, 03:03:44 PM »

Looks like I will be going to memsaab Kantal's house for dinner and translation later on this week.

:D

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »

She also told me a funny story about how, when she was 12, she was going to run away to Bombay with a group of prostitutes who she thought were movie stars.

Turned out they only worked as extras.  :D

Jane

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »

I remember our Wolf Spiders as larger than this, but then I have a small hand.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2009, 03:08:43 PM »

DR MBarnum you are going to have a wonderful evening with Kantal. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »

vixmom just called me.  She is out of the hospital.  The doctors wanted her to get some fresh air and start walking, so vixdad took her to Sunken Meadow Park, and she walked on the boardwalk a while with her walker, came home and called me, and is going to lie down for a while.  They want her to stay home from work for two weeks but try to get some walking in.  It's not the walking that hurts, she said, but the getting up and down.  btw the gall bladder problem was entirely unrelated to the chemo.

Since Joe has been doing his doctor-ordered walking in the same park--although he hasn't been there yet this year--he offered to drive her there during the week. They can both take out their walkers and do a production of The Producers.

Thanks for the updates!

~~~Continued Recovery Vibes for DR Vixmom!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2009, 03:52:02 PM »

We are having a drop-dead gorgeous day, as Ben indicated above, and Joe had planned on washing the cars and/or mowing the lawn.  He got up at 7:300, did two loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and then got zapped by his disease:  equilibrium loss, fuzzy vision, dizziness, all the usual things that happen when the weather changes from good to bad or from bad to good.  He is down for the count, probably for the rest of the day.

At least we have fans in all the windows to air out the house.

~~~Vibes for DR WFO's Joe!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2009, 03:52:25 PM »

I just got off the phone with DR Danise.  She says hello & is sorry she doesn't get much time to use a computer.  She is still at her friend's with Sheena.  On the upside, if there is one to all of her house troubles, is there are people working on her behalf.  She has the state, consumer protection, and the inspection department as well as a lawyer.

CONTINUED HOUSE VIBES FOR DR DANISE!!

AND KEEPING HER JOB VIBES! 
There have been more layoffs at works.

~~~House and Job Vibes for DR Danise!!~~~

George

« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »

At the office yesterday after luch, I began feeling the oncome of a sore throat.  By the time I got home it was worse and then by late evening I had a fever.  When I woke up this morning my throat felt like I had swallowed glass shards and I've just felt overall crappy the whole day.  I just woke up from a nap and I feel a little bit better. 

It sucks because it is such a beautiful day out and I had planned to do some cleaning in the back yard. 

~~~Feel Better Vibes for DR Dan (the Man)!!~~~

George

« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »

Did I miss anyone?? ;D

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2009, 03:53:33 PM »

in re:  Les Demoiselles de Rochefort

Of course, what would be great to have would be a 2-CD set with both the French and the English soundtracks.

Hint, hint!
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2009, 03:56:01 PM »

Thanks for all the vibes, George.  You must be exhausted!
--Wayland Flowers

George

« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2009, 04:02:43 PM »

Thanks for all the vibes, George.  You must be exhausted!

Not at all!

;)

George

« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »

Well, now it's time for me to leave work, get something to eat, then work concessions for Masterworks Choral Ensemble: Spring Time: Modern Style.

We all long to return to a simpler time, a more innocent age. So it was with John Rutter when he decided to compile a collection of his favorite folk songs from the British Isles. As he puts it, traditional songs form a “common musical currency.”

For Springtime, Masterworks performs Rutter’s collection, “The Sprig of Thyme,” alongside Jonathan Willcocks’ modern composition, “Lux Perpetua.” In “Lux Perpetua” the solemn threat and heavy tread of war is powerfully interspersed with tender prayers for peace. This timeless work calls us to reflect on the significance of peace and unity in our lives today.

I don't know how much of it I'll actually get to see.  When working concessions, we have to have things cleaned up before we can go in to watch.  And if there's an intermission, we have to leave before the end of the first part/act to set up for intermission.  Fortunately, this isn't a performance that I specifically asked to see, but I will be able to hear it from the lobby.

George

« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »

Have a good rest of the day, all!

George

« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2009, 04:10:20 PM »

But before I go...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up