Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CATCHING UP  (Read 16046 times)

Tomovoz

Re:CATCHING UP
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2004, 02:58:23 PM »

There are many species of retired School Teacher out there it seems DiT.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2004, 03:29:04 PM »

I also have to recommend Dreamchild with the divine Coral Brown who should have received an oscar nomination for her work. It also recreates scenes from Alice in Wonderland with creatures from the Jim Henson Workshops. CB plays Alice Liddell )the grown up woman who was the basis for the young Alice. She travels to NYC for the 100th birthday of Lewis Carroll and she is haunted by the characters she was once so amused by. As she thinks back on it, she starts to see her relationship with the shy author/professor in a new way and realizes the vast change between the young Alice and the old. The wonderful Ian Holm played lewis Carroll.

Duck You Sucker (aka Fistful of Dynamite aka Once Upon A Time In the Revolution). Another of Leone films that was butchered on its initial American release (Once Upon a Time in America, Once Upon a Time in the West and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly also fell to the same fate) Although not in the same league as these films. Duck You Sucker benifit from top notch performances by ROd Steiger and James Colburn whose characters were well definined. I saw the film in Montreal which luckily had Leone's European/Italian cut of the film. Saw it many times over the three years it played at a small cinema near my home. The film was long, (but didn't feel like it) and even had an intermission! It had all of the Leone flourishes. I refuse to see any other versions of this film. I know there is a R2 DVD release, but it is still not the complete version and missing key sequences. Hopefully the delayed R1 release will be complete and have the same care that was put into the restored version of HTWWW and TGTBATU.

The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane a thriller with the young Jodie Foster, Martin Sheen, Alexis Smith and Scott Jacoby. A taunt thriller about a teenage girl who may or not be living alone in a house on the edge of a small town in Nova Scotia (if memeroy serves me) The film keept me guessing and I still remember the ending. It was written by Laird Koening who never was able to match the quality of the screenplay in any of his subsquent works including a film I worked on. (The Neighbor while it was in production changed to The Man in 5A and eventually released as Killing 'em Softly. The first name change was due to the fact that the Belushi/Ackroyd film Neighbors was released. The last name changed was after the film was seized by creditors they tried to make the film something it was not.)
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2004, 03:30:52 PM »

Best and most excellent vibes to elmore for his brief hospital visit.  Don't be gone too long.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2004, 03:31:34 PM »

Dear reader Jenny wanted me to tell you she's again without the kind of Internet access that will let her access this here site.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2004, 03:42:45 PM »

Speaking of obscure Robert Altman movies, he made a really dreadful little think piece called QUINTET with Paul Newman. The movie didn't make a dime and got a very limited release. After seeing it, you can see why its release was so limited.
So you're the other guy who bought a ticket!   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2004, 03:43:59 PM »

DR Michael:  Must agree. The Little Girl........Lane" is a terrific show. One of the favourites in this house.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2004, 03:54:30 PM »

Has anyone here ever bought cds from cdconnection.com?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2004, 04:05:09 PM »

I don't remember a place with that name.

;D Probably because Monet’s is in Ashland and Mona Lisa was in Michigan.  Do you remember the restaurant on Pico named Mon Arc?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2004, 04:06:23 PM »

I do remember Mon Arc, but don't remember if I ever ate there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2004, 04:06:55 PM »

I wonder if there are any decent French jernts left in LA - I'm gettin' a hankerin' for Duck ala Orange.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2004, 04:17:47 PM »

Hi everyone.  can't think of a strange movie to post, unless of course it's my favorite Disney movie "The North Avenue Irregulars" it's more of an unknown than an obscure movie.  My website for my business is up, although the business is not, check it out if you wish.  http://www.mjmstudios.org/

Jane

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2004, 04:21:51 PM »

Noel did you find your missing music?

Ginny our older son lives in the Pearl District in Portland in an old warehouse that has been converted into lofts.  It is a great city to walk around, shop and eat.  Many of the older areas have been renovated.  

Bruce just the photo of the painting is beautiful.

Panni-congrats on finding the extra storage space. :)

Jane

« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2004, 04:23:35 PM »

GOOD SURGERY AND HEALTH VIBES TO ELMORE!!

Please have someone post, or email me, you are home and well.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2004, 04:26:09 PM »

Good new business vibes for Matthew!!

I hope Jed returns for his birthday tomorrow with good news he has a job.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2004, 04:27:06 PM »

I wonder if there are any decent French jernts left in LA - I'm gettin' a hankerin' for Duck ala Orange.

Cafe Bizou is a more than decent French place.  On Thursday evenings they have duck breast as a special.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2004, 04:27:06 PM »

CDCONNECTION.COM - nope.....always buy from deepdiscountcd.com

Speaking of obscure movies.....I turned on TCM and here is something I never heard of.  Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner in a 1959 movie directed by Anatole Litvak....THE JOURNEY about some people trying to escape to Austria from some Communist country.  EG Marshall, Kurt Kazsner, Anne Jackson, Jaosn Robards Jr and Ronny Howard, Robert Morley.....very good.   Never heard of it....and Yul and Deborah do a waltz with a completely different tone that the one they did earlier in THE KING AND I.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2004, 04:29:05 PM »

Sending good health vibes to ELMORE and finding vibes to NOEL.

I am a bit stressed, but hopefully things will work out in the next few days. ...whew....

Great art work purchase, MRBK!  Wow!

DON'T BUY HALOGEN FLOOR LAMPS!  They are a lot of trouble.....particularly if you have carpet on the floor.....but even at that....they don't give a good light in a direction......  Get something else!

Danise

« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2004, 04:44:36 PM »

Evening all!

I have a mixed bag of things to tell, both good and bad.  

My Mom did something to her back again and currently laid out in bed.  I begged her to let me take her to the doctor and/or hospital but she doesn’t want to go.  I’ve had this argument to many times with her over the years to fight her about it.  I have finely come to the point that I figure her pain will talk to her and tell her when she really needs to go.  I will gladly take her the moment she says she wants to go.  

It hurts to see her in such pain.  I only wish there was something I could do for her.

I had set out some sticky traps and it caught a lizard.  I was at my wits end as to how to free him from the glue.  Then I hit on the idea of using the spray oil you use to grease your cooking pans with.  It worked like charm and I soon had him free, if a little slippery.  He tried to bite me—well, he did bite a time or two (like that really hurts) and showed his displeasure in a number of ways but is now safe and sound in the garden.  I threw the trap away.  Poor baby.  I hope he will be alright.  He didn’t even drop his tail so I think he will be.

I want to wish DR Elmore many, many healing vibes for his day tomorrow and the ones that follow.  Be well sooner than soon.  Please include me in the “wanting to know you got home safe” group!

I also remember Grayson Hall as Dr. Julia Hoffman.  I mean no disrespect but she screamed like a plucked chicken and I loved it.  :)

Offbeat movies.

Well you know I like Knightriders, Hanover Street and The Frisco Kid.  I think I have also mentioned Enemy Mine.  I guess for my fifth (if TV movies are also allowed) would be An American Christmas Carol.  

Tom, Thank you for the lovely pictures of France.  Did you take any of Paris?  Did you even go to Paris?  What was it like if you did?

Lovely painting, Bruce.  How wonderful that you were able to get it.  At least it is in the possession of someone who will truly enjoy it.  I wonder what stories a painting on the wall would tell if it could.  Who all has owned it and where it was hung.  Was it ever sad to leave a place, glad to leave a place.  I wonder.

Finding vibes to DR Noel!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2004, 05:32:27 PM »

This particular painting has resided all these years with one owner - Miss Gilberto.

Jay, we ate at Cafe Bizou, yes.  With Jane.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2004, 05:36:03 PM »

Big Eden....yes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2004, 05:37:37 PM »

Yes DRDANISE - Grayson could hold her own against Barnabas/Jonathan Frid....and I loved it when she would get exasperated and look around and smack her lips.....of course she could have just been trying to remember her lines.....

Wasn't her husband one of the writers of DARK SHADOWS?  Sam Hall, right?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2004, 05:38:09 PM »

alert Nancy Dickerson, I have to sign off ....

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2004, 05:41:52 PM »

That is one cool painting BK! And how wonderful that Ms. Gilberto was the previous owner!

Went to Walmart and found that they had a nifty rack of $1.00 DVDs...found, of all things, the 1940s version of LIL ABNER. Oddly enough it lists Peter Palmer and Leslie Parrish on the front of the DVD, but all the pics are from the 40s film. Also picked up BLOODLUST for a friend of a friend who is a HUGE Robert Reed fan.

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2004, 05:43:53 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Vibes to DR Elmore3003 and his surgery tomorrow....  8)  8)  8)  8)   8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8) [/move]

and keep a look out for your mailman cause you have some surprises coming!!

Jane

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2004, 05:48:41 PM »

Jay, we ate at Cafe Bizou, yes.  With Jane.

;D I'm glad someone remembered.  Wasn't that the night you pretended I forced you to eat whipped cream?

Jay

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2004, 05:52:24 PM »

;D I'm glad someone remembered.  Wasn't that the night you pretended I forced you to eat whipped cream?

Of course I remember that evening.  "Pretended" my tuchus.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2004, 05:52:39 PM »

Danise so are clever and brave to save the lizard that way.
I hope your mother improves quickly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2004, 05:54:46 PM »

Ah, yes, I remember it well.  You FORCED me to eat much whipped cream.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2004, 06:09:59 PM »

Jay & Bruce  ;D.  

I sure wish I could access the archives for the posts the following day.  Keith, always my protector, posted the truth in my defense.

Jay

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2004, 06:12:02 PM »

Jay & Bruce  ;D.  

I sure wish I could access the archives for the posts the following day.  Keith, always my protector, posted the truth in my defense.

Keith was operating on your hearsay.  I was an eyewitness.  It was an ugly, ugly scene.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up