Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: WIDESCREEN  (Read 30505 times)

FJL

Re:WIDESCREEN
« Reply #270 on: June 12, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »

Ten, ten, ten, ten
Let's sing a song of ten
How many is ten?

(is that a Sesame Street reference?)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #271 on: June 12, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »

Collin Wilcox lives in NC near my brother and is best friends with my editor friend John in NY. So I've been up to her house and her theatre (she started the Instant Theatre Company there, years ago) a few times. She's very nice, and the theatre is a great addition to a beautiful area mostly devoid of "culcher".

Well, tell her I adore her, especially as Thedy Sue in The Jar.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #272 on: June 12, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »

I'm home from the memorial, which, as one always knows they will be, was long.  It was, however, well put together.  It was fascinating being in The Music Box at the Henry Fonda Theater, which was formerly the Pix Theater, where I saw many films.  You can see the Pix in all its 1975 glory in the final verse of The Lights And The Smiles in Nudie Musical.  I hadn't been inside since they turned it into a legit house.  Now it's been completely gutted and is used as a concert and party venue.  The lobby is basically the same, and the theater's original proscenium is intact.  When I say original, however, I mean original back in the 20s when the theater was built.  When widescreen came in and the theater was renovated, they simply put a new and much larger screen IN FRONT of the proscenium, completely covering it from view, and then there were curtains in front of the screen.  When they turned it into the Fonda, they simply removed the screen and voila, there was the theater's much smaller proscenium and stage, which is very much like the size of the Helen Hayes in NY.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #273 on: June 12, 2008, 09:54:08 PM »

Did you know that because of this tomato scare, you can't get salsa in fast food restaurants like El Pollo Loco?  Exactly what IS this scare and how much of it is really real?  How widespread was it?  What exactly did it involve?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #274 on: June 12, 2008, 09:54:42 PM »

Perhaps one of our eighteen GUESTS can illuminate us.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »

yes it is widespread
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »

Did you know that because of this tomato scare, you can't get salsa in fast food restaurants like El Pollo Loco?  Exactly what IS this scare and how much of it is really real?  How widespread was it?  What exactly did it involve?

228 people in 23 states sickened with a rare form of salmonella since April 1. Lastest case June 1.

Source believed to be tomatoes - growing area uncertain (best guess - Florida or Mexico).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2008, 10:17:32 PM »

Since April, 228 persons infected with Salmonella Saintpaul with the same genetic fingerprint have been identified in 23 states: Arizona (19 persons), California (2), Colorado (1), Connecticut (1), Florida (1), Georgia (1), Idaho (3), Illinois (29), Indiana (7), Kansas (5), Michigan (2), Missouri (2), New Mexico (55), New York (1), Oklahoma (3), Oregon (3), Tennessee (3), Texas (68), Utah (2), Virginia (9), Vermont (1), Washington (1), and Wisconsin (3). These were identified because clinical laboratories in all states send Salmonella strains from ill persons to their State public health laboratory for characterization. Among the 161 persons with information available , illnesses began between April 10 and June 1, 2008. Patients range in age from 1 to 88 years; 47% are female. At least 25 persons were hospitalized. No deaths have been officially attributed to this outbreak. However, a man in his sixties who died in Texas from cancer had an infection with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Saintpaul at the time of his death. The infection may have contributed to his death.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:28 PM »

Even here in Delaware, a non threatened state, Taco Bell is not serving raw tomato products

der Brucer

Mark

• What is it, Wellington?
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2008, 10:22:08 PM »

This is an ad from today's Ventura County Star newspaper. Apparently, there's a faux BK on the loose:

DERBRUCER

« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2008, 10:36:05 PM »

The Top 52 Reasons for Not Being Able to Donate Blood

Temporary Restirctions:
Condition Length of time (before you can give blood)

Not feeling well for any reason -  Until symptoms are over

Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, asthma -  No difficulty breathing on day of donation

Ears, nose, or skin pierced, acupuncture - One year after procedure unless done under sterile conditions

Blood transfusion -  One year after receiving blood

Abortion or miscarriage-Six weeks if after the first trimester (12 weeks)

Dental work - Seventy-two hours after root canal or after tooth is pulled

Have had sex with a male or female prostitute within the past 12 months, even once -  Twelve months after last incident

Measles, mumps, chicken pox - Three weeks from day of exposure (can give blood if vaccinated or had disease in past) and no signs or symptoms

Tuberculosis (T.B.) -  Two years after completion of treatment
Have been an inmate of acorrectional institution for more than 72 consecutive hours -  One year from date of release

Sniffed cocaine within last 12 months or had sex with someone who sniffed cocaine in last 12 months -  Twelve months after last incident

Cold, sore throat, respiratory infection, flu - Until symptoms are over

Antibiotics (except antibiotics for acne) - Two days after treatment is over if taken for infection

Tattoos - Twelve months after procedure

Full-term pregnancy - Six weeks after delivery

Surgery, serious injury - When healing is completed

Sexually transmitted disease: venereal disease, chlamydia, genital herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea - Twelve months following diagnosis and treatment

Open-heart surgery (except coronary artery bypass) -Three years after surgery

Lyme disease - Six months after date of last signs or symptoms/48 hours

Accutane - One month after taking last dose

Aspirin If donating platelets by apheresis, - three days after last dose

Have had sex with anyone listed in the first five categories in the Permanent Restrictions listed below -Twelve months after last incident

Permanent Restirctions (Please do not give blood if you:)

Have used intravenous drugs (illegal IV drugs), even once

Are a man who has had sex with another man since 1977, even once

Are a hemophiliac

Have ever had a positive antibody test for HIV (AIDS Virus)

Are a man or woman who has had sex for money or drugs any time since 1977

Have had hepatitis any time after your eleventh birthday

Have had cancer (except localized skin cancer)

Have multiple sclerosis

Have had myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass surgery

Have had a stroke

Have had babesiosis or Chagas disease

Have taken Tegison for psoriasis

Have Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease (CJD) and/or an immediate member of your family has CJD.

Source: New York Blood Center

der Brucer

"tis a wonder they have any donors at all!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2008, 10:39:20 PM »

This is an ad from today's Ventura County Star newspaper. Apparently, there's a faux BK on the loose:

Probably a hoax perpetrated by their Entertainment Editor!

der Brucer

Mark

• What is it, Wellington?
« Reply #282 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »

Probably a hoax perpetrated by their Entertainment Editor!

der Brucer

Entertainment editors. Damn them. Damn them all to hell.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:21 PM »

Entertainment editors. Damn them. Damn them all to hell.

Especially those who take "Time Out".

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #284 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:03 PM »

Cedar Rapids looks like a scene from a diasater movie!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:11:59 PM by DERBRUCER »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #285 on: June 12, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »

228 people in 23 states sickened with a rare form of salmonella since April 1. Lastest case June 1.

Source believed to be tomatoes - growing area uncertain (best guess - Florida or Mexico).

der Brucer

Source "believed" to be tomatoes - what does THAT mean?  They're guessing?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2008, 11:14:26 PM »

I'd actually seen that ad a couple of days ago.  They can try to be BK but they cannot be BK because there is only ONE BK.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #287 on: June 12, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »

Source "believed" to be tomatoes - what does THAT mean?  They're guessing?

A professional, educated guess, yes. (They still have no "hard proof".)

CDC

CDC is collaborating with public health officials in many states, the Indian Health Service, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to investigate an ongoing multi-state outbreak of human Salmonella serotype Saintpaul infections. An epidemiologic investigation comparing foods eaten by ill and well persons has identified consumption of raw tomatoes as the likely source of the illnesses. The specific type and source of tomatoes is under investigation; however, the data suggest that illnesses are linked to consumption raw red plum, red Roma, and round red tomatoes, and products containing these raw tomatoes.

der Brucer

And, yes, I think we're over-reacting

DERBRUCER

« Reply #288 on: June 12, 2008, 11:20:47 PM »

I'd actually seen that ad a couple of days ago.  They can try to be BK but they cannot be BK because there is only ONE BK.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

What about "The Randy Vicar and the BK Doppelganger"?

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #289 on: June 12, 2008, 11:37:26 PM »

A professional, educated guess, yes. (They still have no "hard proof".)

CDCder Brucer

And, yes, I think we're over-reacting

When don't they overreact?  Well, they don't overreact to the hideous and completely immoral gas prices - no, they line up like Shropshire sheep to pay no matter what price is thrust at them.  Why doesn't some enterprising pro-bono lawyer do a class action lawsuit against every oil company that is responsible for this gouging (and anyone who doesn't think this is ALL fabricated is, I'm afraid, living in Fantasyland).  I remember the "shortages" in the 70s - prices rose and rose and then guess what everyone found out?  No shortage at all - not only no shortage, but a SURPLUS.  Did they send us some money back?  No.  Were the oil companies sued?  No.  Were they penalized?  No.

The Democrats recently presented a bill which would severely penalize the oil companies who are gouging and fabricating - guess who shot the bill down?  Hint: Not the party that presented the bill.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #290 on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:30 PM »

The Democrats recently presented a bill which would severely penalize the oil companies who are gouging and fabricating - guess who shot the bill down?  Hint: Not the party that presented the bill.

Hint: if you "penalize" the oil companies they will most likely raise prices, or worse yet, stop investing in oil exploration and alternative energy supplies. The "obscene" profits are mainly based at the well head - and the well heads are mainly
owned by foreign entities beyond the reach of the U.S. Congress. Exxon profits as a per-cent of sales are less than Target's! (And we are paying a lot less for gasoline than many folks in other countries, including virtually all of Europe.)

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #291 on: June 12, 2008, 11:54:53 PM »

I loved Anderson Cooper on MY LIFE ON THE D LIST. The premiere episode was quite funny.

It was very funny!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2008, 12:00:55 AM »

Were the oil companies sued?  No.  Were they penalized?  No.

Were there many investigations? Yes!  Did they uncover any wrong-doing by the oil companies? No!

Your frustration with real-world economics should not manifest itself in paranoid conspiracy theories.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2008, 12:38:37 AM »

I have no paranoid theories - it's been proven too many times that the oil companies are gouging.  Every time the government calls them on the carpet (as they did a couple of years ago) the prices suddenly and magically drop for a time, due to threats.  Sorry, but the public is being raped (no better word for it) and it's appalling.  I think when all is said and done, the truth will come out, as it always does - and still nothing will happen because, as you may or may not know, the oil companies own the United States of America.  You may think I'm paranoid, and I may think you are blind as a bat in a dark room in the middle of the Black Hole.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up