Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LUSTY MONTH OF MARCH  (Read 16145 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE LUSTY MONTH OF MARCH
« Reply #240 on: March 01, 2012, 06:39:50 PM »

Page nine!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #241 on: March 01, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »

And in other news, I am hoping to hear back tomorrow that surgery has been scheduled.  Unfortunately, it won't be until late March or early April.

Bummer!!  Try requesting to be on a wait list for a cancellation.
That sounds like a good idea. I really hope that they can schedule you sooner.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »

The morning I had the pin put in my wrist my surgery was moved up due to a cancellation.  Of course DR TCB would at least need an evenings notice in order to fast.

Jennifer

« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »

Love that t-shirt. Very cute.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »

'night

John G.

« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2012, 07:08:21 PM »

The morning I had the pin put in my wrist my surgery was moved up due to a cancellation.  Of course DR TCB would at least need an evenings notice in order to fast.
I hope that works.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »

Finally finishing Hitchcock's stage-bound version of "Juno and the Paycock." So depressing. And I have no sympathy whatsoever for the Paycock. In fact, he irritates me to the point that it has made the movie almost unbearable. That may have been the point, but entertaining it ain't.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #247 on: March 01, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »

Finally finishing Hitchcock's stage-bound version of "Juno and the Paycock." So depressing. And I have no sympathy whatsoever for the Paycock. In fact, he irritates me to the point that it has made the movie almost unbearable. That may have been the point, but entertaining it ain't.

I love "Juno and the Paycock!" I saw the Abbey Theatre production in Manhattan about 15 years ago. Yes, he is an irritating character; he and Joxer are two of Juno's crosses she bears. That play does pile on the unhappiness.

Tonight I watched Anna Faris, whom I love, in WHAT'S YOUR NUMBER. I laughed a lot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #248 on: March 01, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »

I love "Juno and the Paycock!" I saw the Abbey Theatre production in Manhattan about 15 years ago. Yes, he is an irritating character; he and Joxer are two of Juno's crosses she bears. That play does pile on the unhappiness.

Tonight I watched Anna Faris, whom I love, in WHAT'S YOUR NUMBER. I laughed a lot.
You know, I might enjoy it in another production. I just didn't care for the movie. And I like the score for the musical, depressing as it is.
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #249 on: March 01, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »

I am so glad to see that Anderson Cooper is a swell guy.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2012, 08:08:52 PM »

I'd take whatever was in the pan, Laura, whether it was butter or drugs. Come to think of it, butter is a drug. 
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »

Well, the three reviews of "Carrie" I've seen are saying that, sure, the show is better, but better doesn't mean good. Still, I wonder if we'll get a cast recording this time. I have a feeling teenagers will want to do the show regardless and that album will certainly help.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »

Night, all.
― Voltaire

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2012, 09:06:24 PM »

Got our preliminary tax estimate from the CPA tonight, and while it's not exactly "good" news, it's significantly less than I had budgeted, so I'm calling it good news.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »

Bruce, why are you leaving Vitello's? Do you have another venue lined up?

We're not leaving - Michael Sterling who was booking the shows is leaving - something he promised would never happen when we were first talking about moving.  The new venue is only five minutes away in North Hollywood - I'll give it one try there - if we have a good crowd and if I like the room, we'll stay - if not, back to the Gardenia.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #255 on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »

I finished "Benjamin Kritzer" today-- I loved it!  Looking forward to "Kritzerland."

So happy you liked.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #256 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:57 PM »

Back from dinner.  Had a good rehearsal for the most part.  It should be a good show.  Dinner was fun.  And now I'm doing my best to get through the new Follies recording, but I doubt I will - the dialogue excerpts are ham-fisted - and this label seems to specialize in making large orchestras sound tiny - all thanks to providing no spatial ambience around them.  A recording is a RECORDING - instruments need air - in the kinds of studios that these albums are done in, there is no air - it has to be added.  Goddard new this, and so did all the others.  Now, no one seems to know this - the vocals are so forward in the mix it's really uncomfortable listening to them, and they, too, are almost completely dry.  If this is what it's come to, I don't really need to hear any more cast albums.  I'll just replay all my classic show albums from a time when they knew how to do this.  And since all I ever did was try to ape that great ambience, I can also listen to mine :) 

Who's That Woman - well, where's the BAND?  Funny, but I could have sworn Mr. Tunick wrote a drum part.  And all that improvising and yakking during the great dance music - awful.  I'll take the truncated original any day of the week.  And the person who is served worse on this recording?  Bernadette Peters - I liked her in the theater, but here she's so mannered and her voice needs space - she has zero.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:31:38 PM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #257 on: March 01, 2012, 11:26:22 PM »

I am so glad that I am seeing the whole episode.  Thank you, George, for doing the homework.

I'm glad that I was able to find it!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #258 on: March 01, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »

I just started watching it...and I'm making a DVD at the same time. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #259 on: March 01, 2012, 11:27:27 PM »

Seriously, Danise you looked great and sounded great.  I can't wait to see what Angie's list will be able to do for you.

DITTO!!

TRITTO!!! ;D

George

« Reply #260 on: March 01, 2012, 11:30:08 PM »

Tonight's "A Bucket of Blood" went quite well.  We had a smallish audience (about 15 or so) but they enjoyed it.  Only three performances left!

George

« Reply #261 on: March 01, 2012, 11:38:59 PM »

I was almost in a local production of "Juno and the Paycock."  My friend Josh was going to direct it and I was going to play the Paycock, but it fell through. 

George

« Reply #262 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:47 PM »

And in other news, I am hoping to hear back tomorrow that surgery has been scheduled.  Unfortunately, it won't be until late March or early April.

~~~VIBES FOR AN EARLIER SURGERY FOR DR TCB!!~~~

George

« Reply #263 on: March 01, 2012, 11:56:58 PM »

Well, this is very interesting...during rehearsal, Pug (director of "A Bucket of Blood") asked people if they had suggestions for beatnik music that could be used in the background or during scene changes.  I loaned her my copy of the soundtrack to "Little Shop of Horrors" (released by Kritzerland) and Pug loved it.  However, she said that she realized that "A Bucket of Blood" and "Little Shop of Horrors" use the same music!  And then today, Pug sent me this e-mail:

So I was looking up more royalty free Corman movies and happened upon "The Wasp Woman" and saw this: The film's musical score, written by Fred Katz, was originally written for A Bucket of Blood. According to Mark Thomas McGee, author of Roger Corman: The Best of the Cheap Acts, each time Katz was called upon to write music for Corman, Katz sold the same score as if it were new music.The score was used in a total of seven films, including The Little Shop of Horrors and Creature from the Haunted Sea.

Very interesting indeed!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up