Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: BELLS ARE RINGING  (Read 9744 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: BELLS ARE RINGING
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »

Since it's so quiet in here, I'll take this opportunity to say I'm going to either piano/conduct, or music/direct and piano/conduct -- depending on whether the director of the show wants to MD as well (sometimes he likes to do it all) -- a local production of AVENUE Q this fall.

There.  That should get everybody's bells ringing.

I may have to travel up to your neck o' the woods to catch that!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »

DEAREST ENEMY just made the TalkinBroadway "10 Best Cast Recordings of 2013!"
http://www.talkinbroadway.com/sound/january1614.html
]
HOORAY!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2014, 08:16:03 PM »

Well, I'm off.  Time to head home and do a load of laundry before it gets too late.

Be back later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2014, 08:16:51 PM »

James Marsden is certainly a cutie!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »

James Marsden is certainly a cutie!

That makes sense if you are watching the Critics Choice Awards.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2014, 08:32:35 PM »

A Leftover Wednesday Question............

BK, do you ever hear from, or are you ever in touch with Amy Adams?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »

There is a good reason we don't have a Critic's Choice Film Award viewing party..................

Boring!
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »

Two actors from 60's and 70's TV have passed

Russell Johnson from Gilligan's Island

Dave Madden from Laugh-in, Alice & The Partridge Family.

Any memories of Dave, BK?
Never stop dreaming.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2014, 09:43:12 PM »

Book group was fun tonight.  We discussed Dear Life, the latest book of short stories by 2013 Nobel literature prize winner Alice Munro.  We also heard about Katie's upcoming trip to Panama, Lynne's to Antarctica, and Jan's Amazon River cruise.

I have a reservation for this at the library. It's the CD version. I hope it comes in soon. I've been waiting since she won the award.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »

Well, just jumped through another hoop in my attempts to take my final course for my master's. I had to complete an online course, and I had to have it done by today in order to begin class on Monday.

And when did they tell me about this 18-part course? Yesterday. And when did they tell me that it had to be completed today? This morning.

are ya done yet?

I did finish this afternoon.

The cocktail conference was my reward.

Something fun with gin and Chartreuse was my favorite.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »

Watching one hilariously awful movie called "Only God Forgives." Ryan Gosling is some drug dealer in Asia who is supposed to avenge his brother's death. Plenty of killings. Plenty of atrocious acting, with Kristin Scott Thomas as the foul-mouthed mother of the two boys being the worst of the worst. But the movie is gorgeous to look at, even as the violence gets crazy.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »

Good night, all.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2014, 10:39:51 PM »

I am happy this day is over.  A wasted morning dealing with stupid CD stuff, all of which turned out to be unnecessary drama and everything was fine.  I only had time to futz and finesse one page, then I went and had a Cobb Salad but without any meat - it was actually really good, so I guess I'm finally back to rights.  I had a bagel with it, and then splurged and had some tap tap tapioca pudding for dessert.  By the time I got home I only had an hour left before I had to leave for the theater.  I guess I got about one page done, then showered and left.  Since I was on the road at two-fifty the last thing I expected was the drive from hell, but that's what I got.  The twenty-five minute drive took almost an hour - at THREE in the afternoon!  I got to the theater just in time.  Then it became immediately apparent that the twenty people we were going to be auditioning weren't going to show up - in all, three did.  What a waste of my time and energy when I could have been home happily writing away.  At six-thirty I met Sami and her mom at a nearby place and I had a little flatbread thing that's like cheese on a cracker, and some fries.  We all returned to the theater and I decided to just get home so I could get back to writing.  That turned out to be a terrible decision.  I got on the freeway at 7:30 and it took thirty minutes to go one mile.  That's right.  I finally got off and took Beverly Glen, but didn't get home until eight-thirty.  Had I but stayed for the show I would have gotten home an hour later, but had no frustration and I would have seen what apparently was one of our best shows with a great and loud audience.  Oh, well.  Oh, and while I was having the ride from hell to the theater and approaching Wilshire Blvd on Beverly Glen, the traffic was backed up so far it was nauseating.  But to the right, which usually has at least some parked cars, was empty all the way, so I decided to just pass up all the yahoos since it was free and clear.  I got to my right and began and about thirty feet later some doofus just slightly swerved his car towards me because, guess what, he was texting - I had to slightly swerve to my right and in so doing my car hit a trash can - no problem there really, other than it completely decapitated my passenger side mirror - cut clean off.  So, I called the Infiniti dealer and ordered a new one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »

Once home, I took the bull by the horns and called Tall Girl, the singer I used to work with and whose act I directed.  She's going to cover both gals in the show from now to the end of the run.  She'll go on for Dana for the first six shows in the new space, and then Dana will return and she'll cover Jane for the rest of the run.  She's really the only one I know who can do both tracks, so I think that's a good thing.  I only thought of her because one of the gals who auditioned was really tall.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »

And then FINALLY, blessedly, I wrote four or five pages and am just finishing a chapter and beginning a new one, and most importantly I've just crossed the 100 page mark.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2014, 10:42:49 PM »

Sorry to hear about Dave Madden - he was a lovely man and I really enjoyed working with him on The Partridge Family.

ChasSmith

« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »

Oh lordy.  Just reading about that day was painful.

George

« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2014, 12:19:07 AM »

Well, I didn't do laundry.  I just wasn't in the mood.  But, there's always the weekend. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2014, 12:19:56 AM »

But two things arrived!  Good thing, since I ordered them.

George

« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »

One is the French Blu-ray from France, the restored "Lola, by Jacques Demy, with Anouk Aimée (fortunately, it does have English subtitles).  It's part one of, and starts the trilogy that is continued with "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" and ends with "Les Demoiselles de Rochefort," which I had received a couple of weeks ago. :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:28:58 AM by George »

George

« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2014, 12:24:37 AM »

The other item that I received also came from France.  It's the complete vocal score to the movie, "Les Parapluies De Cherbourg (Piano Et Voix).  I can't play it, but I certainly can follow along with the movie!

George

« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2014, 12:26:06 AM »

I could've gotten it from Amazon.com, but it cost almost the same...there was only a couple of dollars difference between ordering it from the US versus France.  And it's kind of cool to say that I actually got the French vocal score to the French movie from France.

George

« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2014, 12:27:33 AM »

So, some time soon I'll take some time and put the Region B Blu-ray in my multi-region Blu-ray player and read along with the score.

George

« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »

Well, I have to go to bed soon.  Tomorrow, there won't be any supervisors in the Collection Management department (of which Acquisitions is a part), other than me. 

George

« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2014, 12:40:39 AM »

When that happens, I am asked by my supervisor to get to work much earlier than I usually do so that there's a supervisor around.  (Let's see if I can get to Page 8.)

George

« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2014, 12:40:48 AM »

Most of the people who work in the other Collection Management areas (cataloging, processing, etc.) leave early in the day on Friday, so someone should be there when they're there...hence my early work tomorrow. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up